Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My system:(7.1 all Infinity)

Center: C-351
Mains: Beta 50
Surrounds: OWS-1
Sub: PSA XS30se
AVR: Pioneer 1222k

I listened to Transformers last night without the sub hooked up and everything just sounded like I was watching it through TV speakers. I know the sub adds so much to a movie, but with the crossover set to 80hz I figured there would be SOME decent bass coming from my mains. Is this normal? If so, then what is the point of having nice big tower speakers at all?

Could my crossover be out of whack?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
There are pros and cons to towers. But a crossover isn't a brick wall, so towers set to small 80hz will play lower bass than a pair of THX style 80hz spec speakers.

I have towers in the HT set to small 80hz.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For movies, towers are pretty much useless if you run them "small". Decent bookshelf + quality sub is the way to go!
Cayenn likes this.

post #4 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

what is the point of having nice big tower speakers at all?
Exactly. They're big because they need to be to work well below 80Hz. If you're not using them below 80Hz that size is not being utilized and might as well not be there at all.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest View Post

For movies, towers are pretty much useless if you run them "small". Decent bookshelf + quality sub is the way to go!

But you're able to change that, small 40hz, small 60hz. And floorstanders are generally more efficient, and have higher output. I think speakers with F3 of 80hz is a bit lacking, I prefer speakers that go a bit lower.

Also you have ability to run direct bypass, no bass management. Not knocking standmounts, I have more standmounts than floorstanders. For standmounts for a given price, they'll generally be higher quality. So you need to spend more on floorstanders.

I have one pair of floorstanders, 5 pairs of standmount front speakers. Considering replacing the standmounts in the Hi-Fi with floorstander version, then run through high pass

Both have pros and cons.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I think it all depends on the speaker. It sounds obvious but I have heard towers that sound fantastic on their own and also I have heard bookshelf that blow away many larger speakers. I am now running a pair of Chase home theater 2 way's crossed at 80hz and I love them. So I guess just saying whether towers are worth it or not is just not that simple.
Reference_head likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't set the speaker crossover individually with MCACC only a general crossover and speakers to small or large. Should I try maybe lower the crossover maybe? I think I'm missing some of the upper bass stuff.

post #8 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Not unless all your speakers have ability to reach that low, if if you have floorstanders that reach down to 40hz, but your center, sides and surrounds are tiny sat speakers- then not a good idea.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #9 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Agree with Fatbottom, sounds like you have a Pioneer receiver that has a universal crossover (which sucks I love Pioneer but refuse to buy one due to the universal crossover). It is very rare for people to have five or seven matched speakers around the room so I don't understand why Pioneer continues to use a universal crossover. I have a Marantz Preamp so I set my mains (DefTech BP7001's to small with a 40Hz crossover) and my other speakers individually to what they can handle. By setting my towers to small with a 40Hz crossover I get great powered mid bass out of my towers while my SVS handles everything below 40Hz from the towers. It helps to fill the room with great bass I can hear and great bass from the sub I can feel. You are stuck if your receiver has a universal crossover and your not getting the most from your tower speakers. I would think about upgrading your receiver like a Denon which allows individual crossover for each channel.
post #10 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Agree with Fatbottom, sounds like you have a Pioneer receiver that has a universal crossover (which sucks I love Pioneer but refuse to buy one due to the universal crossover). It is very rare for people to have five or seven matched speakers around the room so I don't understand why Pioneer continues to use a universal crossover. I have a Marantz Preamp so I set my mains (DefTech BP7001's to small with a 40Hz crossover) and my other speakers individually to what they can handle. By setting my towers to small with a 40Hz crossover I get great powered mid bass out of my towers while my SVS handles everything below 40Hz from the towers. It helps to fill the room with great bass I can hear and great bass from the sub I can feel. You are stuck if your receiver has a universal crossover and your not getting the most from your tower speakers. I would think about upgrading your receiver like a Denon which allows individual crossover for each channel.

Are there any issues with integrating the sub?

So anything below 40hz your sub picks up and anything, say 40-80hz your mains pick up and anything above 80hz your surrounds and center have?

post #11 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

My system:(7.1 all Infinity)

I listened to Transformers last night without the sub hooked up and everything just sounded like I was watching it through TV speakers. I know the sub adds so much to a movie, but with the crossover set to 80hz I figured there would be SOME decent bass coming from my mains. Is this normal? If so, then what is the point of having nice big tower speakers at all?

Could my crossover be out of whack?

Thank you.

If you just switch your sub off without altering anything else then your AVR is still going to send the LFE channel and anything below 80Hz from you main speakers to the subwoofer, (which isn't on), so you are not getting any bass.

Try going into settings and tell your AVR that you do not have a subwoofer. Your mains should automatically set to full range/large or what ever terminology your AVR uses. Now all your bass will be reproduced by the front speakers, so see how that sounds.
post #12 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right I understand why I'm not getting any of the really good bass, but isn't 100 up to like 250 still considered bass?

When I change my towers to large MCACC changes all the speakers to Large. That would be bad right since they are not rated below 80hz except the mains?

post #13 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Are there any issues with integrating the sub?

So anything below 40hz your sub picks up and anything, say 40-80hz your mains pick up and anything above 80hz your surrounds and center have?

mijotter basically its what I set my preamps individual channels to. I have all speakers set to small. Mains set at 40Hz due to the powered woofers in the towers, Center set to 40Hz because I have a Mid bass sub connected directly to the center channel and center channel only (so 40-80Hz the mid bass sub handles, 80Hz and up my Center handles and anything below 40Hz my SVS sub handles), My surrounds are at 60Hz because they can easily go down to 47Hz without distortion and my rear channels are set at 40Hz because they too have a mid bass sub hooked up so once again 40-80Hz are handled by the mid bass sub, anything above 80Hz my rear channel speakers handle and anything below 40Hz my SVS handles. By doing it this way I get great mid bass all around by the powered woofers in my mains and the mid bass subs hooked up to my center and rear channel speakers and my surrounds are all on their own down to 60Hz.

By doing this I get great mid bass from all channels and the powered mid bass woofers and since my SVS doesn't have to carry the mid bass load from all those speakers it has more room to breathe for everything below 40Hz. My amps also don't get a heavy load because they are only handling everything above 80Hz (except the surrounds at 60Hz) so they can cruise along with hardly any strain. Granted my system is rather unorthadox but i have an awkward shaped room that has a lot of lower frequency null voids and I combated that issue with use of many mid bass subs (I actually bought my BP7001's just because they had the powered mid bass woofers for my awkward room).

People who have heard the system laugh when I first tell them about why I did it this way but once they hear a bass heavy scene in a movie they actually think its better than IMAX with how loud, clear and deep it goes. I recall my father visited me once and we put on "The Bourne Ultimatum" and there's a scene where a car smashes into a concrete barrier and they crash caused a bass heavy note and my father jumped from his chair (which had one of my mid bass subs aimed directly into that chair) and he screams, "G-Damn what was that"? This is a man who flew an A-6 bomber during Viet Nam.

Once you can set each channel correctly to what it can handle and a great capable sub your sound will be incredible.
post #14 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right I understand why I'm not getting any of the really good bass, but isn't 100 up to like 250 still considered bass?
Above 80Hz is considered midbass. It coincides with the range where sound shifts from non-directionally locatable to directionally locatable, and where the optimum placement for sound sources shifts from boundary dependent to boundary independent. The fact that the best placement for sources that operate below 80Hz versus above 80Hz very seldom coincide is one of the main reasons why for best results they should very seldom be contained in the same box.
mijotter likes this.

post #15 of 37 Old 05-10-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot of cables to run hehe. My center is rated down to 80hz and my surround down to 70hz so pretty close. My mains however are rated down to 35hz. Would it be prudent then, to maybe have a separate amp for the mains and everything else including my sub run off the AVR with the crossover set to 80hz?

Maybe set the mains XO to 40hz, but then would that not mesh well with everything else including the sub at 80hz?

Also how would I calibrate it with the AVR?

post #16 of 37 Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
agree, depends on the speaker. i have jamo 707i's set to large and a 100 watt powered subwoofer, yamaha. sounds great. i tried both, setting them to small and then large, sounded better at large, they are large and weigh about 60 pounds each. now if i turn my sub off i can tell there not putting out a lot of bass but again they sound better t large. sub is set to 110 Hz. talked to yamaha about setup and they verified this was best setup for me. i also turn on the Enhancer. you can spend days trying to dial it in. i found the best setting are what sounds good to you. everyone's ears are different. my 2 cents.
post #17 of 37 Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

In your setup, I'd set them to small 40hz. For music that would be ideal, but for movies I'd set a bit higher.

Turn off bass enhancer. Seems you're used to bloatyand excessive bass.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #18 of 37 Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Exactly. They're big because they need to be to work well below 80Hz. If you're not using them below 80Hz that size is not being utilized and might as well not be there at all.

So if one has decent towers that go down to say 30 Hz in a 7.1 system, would it be technically better to set them to large and everything else to small?

post #19 of 37 Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssthrd View Post

So if one has decent towers that go down to say 30 Hz in a 7.1 system, would it be technically better to set them to large and everything else to small?
That depends on the AVR. Many won't allow you to run the mains large and still send signal to the subs.

post #20 of 37 Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Yamaha HTR 6190. The mains are Energy RC 70's, and the sub is an Omni S10. I just tried it for music and I cannot tell the difference really. Maybe a movie would be different.........?

post #21 of 37 Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For music, I prefer towers that can reach low (lower than 40hz). For movies, I don't think towers have an advantage. Sometimes it's hard to properly blend a sub with your main speakers, which is more critical with music.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
post #22 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The mains are Energy RC 70's, and the sub is an Omni S10. I just tried it for music and I cannot tell the difference really.
It would sound very different if you had a well configured system, but you don't. The size and power demands of a speaker go up as frequency goes down. The total cabinet volume and power capacity of the subs in a system should be no less than twice that of the mains. A reasonable match with a pair of RC70 would be a pair of twelve inch loaded subs. A single ten inch loaded sub would be a good match to a pair of single four inch loaded mains.

post #23 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a PSA XS30se (dual 15") sealed sub in my room with the Beta 50 towers. I have no idea what matching these two well together sounds like though...

post #24 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:

It would sound very different if you had a well configured system, but you don't. The size and power demands of a speaker go up as frequency goes down. The total cabinet volume and power capacity of the subs in a system should be no less than twice that of the mains. A reasonable match with a pair of RC70 would be a pair of twelve inch loaded subs. A single ten inch loaded sub would be a good match to a pair of single four inch loaded mains.

Dang! Looks like I have to save my pennies for a better sub(s). The more I learn the more I want.

Sounds like OP has a more balanced system........? To clarify--I can run the mains at large independently of the rest of the speakers, and it seems like my sub needs all the help it can get. Is it a good idea to do so?

Thanks for your help!

post #25 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To clarify--I can run the mains at large independently of the rest of the speakers, and it seems like my sub needs all the help it can get. Is it a good idea to do so?
With the relatively weak sub you have ideally you'd run the mains large and still have all the bass content that goes to the mains also go to the sub. Some AVRs allow that, but most don't. Most will only send the summed left/right bass content to the sub if the mains are set to small. With the mains set to large most AVRs will still send the dedicated LFE channel content only to the sub, so it will still get at least that with movies, but the one ten doesn't have a lot of capability, probably not enough to keep up with the mains.
ssthrd likes this.

post #26 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:

With the relatively weak sub you have ideally you'd run the mains large and still have all the bass content that goes to the mains also go to the sub. Some AVRs allow that, but most don't. Most will only send the summed left/right bass content to the sub if the mains are set to small. With the mains set to large most AVRs will still send the dedicated LFE channel content only to the sub, so it will still get at least that with movies, but the one ten doesn't have a lot of capability, probably not enough to keep up with the mains.

Thanks Bill. I appreciate your feedback. Looks like I need to find out more about my AVR to see exactly what it can do.

OP--sorry to hijack your thread.

post #27 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm not surprised, if this test was done using only movie soundtracks, that it seemed as if your towers produced little bass. Because based on what I know, soundtrack mixers don't usually place low/powerful bass in the front channels.....because that's what the LFE channel is for. Not to mention that many soundtracks will be played through tiny/crummy TV speakers & any signal containing low/powerful bass could easily damage them.*

IMO if you want to see what your towers are capable of, use music instead, something like pop or rock which usually contains strong bass in the 35Hz and higher regions.

* I'm not sure if this is done for a Blu-ray's lossless tracks (Dolby TruHD, DTS-MA, LPCM), but for a DVD player's stereo analog output, the player strips off the dvd's LFE channel when it downmixes a movie's surround mix, to prevent distortion and/or damage to a TV's speakers. Though I've read that some mixers include some "regular" bass in the @40Hz and up range so those with TVs can enjoy some bass w/their movies.
post #28 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Go to a store. Pick a decent tower set. Pick the best bookshelf. Put a sub on them. Cross them at 80hz. Play them with the same sub and A B them. Do this in a decent sized room. Play music. Forget movies. Buy speakers based on music. Not some tiny hole of a room.

You will not go home with a bookshelf speaker..
Reference_head likes this.
post #29 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
IMO if you want to see what your towers are capable of, use music instead, something like pop or rock which usually contains strong bass in the 35Hz and higher regions.
I forgot to write try the towers by themselves, set as "small": at the 80hz xover point there still should be quite a bit of sonic energy present (my own speakers' woofers - dual 6.5" drivers - usually visibly vibrate at that point at power levels as low as @20 watts or so).
post #30 of 37 Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

I think it all depends on the speaker. It sounds obvious but I have heard towers that sound fantastic on their own and also I have heard bookshelf that blow away many larger speakers. I am now running a pair of Chase home theater 2 way's crossed at 80hz and I love them. So I guess just saying whether towers are worth it or not is just not that simple.
So true. It's not black and white like some would have us believe.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page