Surround Speakers to Match Pioneer Fronts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Everyone,
I'm going with the Pioneer FS52 towers for front speakers and using the matching Pioneer center. The pioneer bookshelf speakers will be too big for the surrounds, and I don't have the ability to put the surrounds on stands, I'm really stuck with having to wall mount. Any recommendations for a small wall mountable surround speaker that will play well with the Pioneers? I've been thinking about something like the NHT Superzeros or the Cambridge S20's. Thanks for the input
Luisfc1972 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
I've mixed several different kinds of speakers in as surrounds and have not had any issues, even with multi channel music (although I think it's ideally better to have the same speaker/series all around for that). You can still wall mount a speaker like the BS22 with something like a Pinpoint AM40 mount....how I've mounted larger/heavier bookshelf speakers.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I've mixed several different kinds of speakers in as surrounds and have not had any issues, even with multi channel music (although I think it's ideally better to have the same speaker/series all around for that). You can still wall mount a speaker like the BS22 with something like a Pinpoint AM40 mount....how I've mounted larger/heavier bookshelf speakers.

I've thought about it, but the one surround is in a walking path, and they'd really stick out. I think there's no way the wife goes for it either, since this is our living room. I do like to use the Multi channel music function on the Denon receiver, so I'm glady ou reminded me of that. I would hope whatever I go for would sound ok when playing together.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I recently started using a pair of SuperZeros for surrounds. They sound great, seem to play nicely with a 100Hz crossover, and I like knowing that they'll be fine if I ever want to use them as fronts in a smaller system. Great build quality too.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Klipsch SW-450, Oppo 103D
Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post

I've thought about it, but the one surround is in a walking path, and they'd really stick out. I think there's no way the wife goes for it either, since this is our living room. I do like to use the Multi channel music function on the Denon receiver, so I'm glady ou reminded me of that. I would hope whatever I go for would sound ok when playing together.

Yes, speakers sticking out where people's bodies are going to be is not a good thing, WAF or not smile.gif Sometimes an option is mounting them up near the ceiling and angling them down to the listening positions....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 05-12-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

I recently started using a pair of SuperZeros for surrounds. They sound great, seem to play nicely with a 100Hz crossover, and I like knowing that they'll be fine if I ever want to use them as fronts in a smaller system. Great build quality too.

They're my front runner, even though they are more $ than the S20's. I had sent them an email directly, and was surprised to hear back from Chris himself. Chris was actually pretty honest and thought they may not offer too much improvement over my Energy micros, I currently use, in the surround position. Of course that is another can of worms I don't want to dig up debating the necessity of nice speakers as surrounds. the way I see it, I can likely get some money for my set of Energy Micros, and put that towards the pair of surrounds. And for multichannel music, I hope it would make a difference, if not for movies too
Old 05-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post

They're my front runner, even though they are more $ than the S20's. I had sent them an email directly, and was surprised to hear back from Chris himself. Chris was actually pretty honest and thought they may not offer too much improvement over my Energy micros, I currently use, in the surround position. Of course that is another can of worms I don't want to dig up debating the necessity of nice speakers as surrounds. the way I see it, I can likely get some money for my set of Energy Micros, and put that towards the pair of surrounds. And for multichannel music, I hope it would make a difference, if not for movies too

I saved $15/speaker by getting B stock from NHT and I don't see (or hear) any difference. Every little helps smile.gif

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Klipsch SW-450, Oppo 103D
Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

I saved $15/speaker by getting B stock from NHT and I don't see (or hear) any difference. Every little helps smile.gif

Oh trust me, it would be B stock all the way smile.gif