Surround speakers for first home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Everyone,

I am building a home theater for the first time and need some advice.  The room is rectangular at 13’6’’by 18’4’’ with 7’8’’celling.   Due to limitations caused HVAC ducts and some water pipes, the screen must be located at the center of the 18 feet wall.  Seating will (unfortunately) be against the back wall and therefore ˜12 feet from the screen.

We are planning to have three B&W LCR7 as left, center and right.  Our doubt is about the surround channels.  We would like to have a 7.1 setup but due to our seating arrangement, we are afraid that the result will not be ideal.  Therefore we are also considering a 5.1 setup with the surround channels, B&W CWM663, mounted on the sidewalls at about 2 feet from the back wall and about 5 feet from the floor.  Another option would to mount the surround in-celling and use CCM663.

Which setup would be best?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have you wired setup already or not? If not, I'd just run some wire along the floor and try different configurations if you can and try it that way. Figure out what sounds best to you and decide.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I'm guessing that with your room limitations, just going with side surrounds and skipping the rear surrounds will work the best. That's what I would do. You really need some distance from surround speakers for them to be effective.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4 of 7 Old 05-16-2014, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I'm guessing that with your room limitations, just going with side surrounds and skipping the rear surrounds will work the best. That's what I would do. You really need some distance from surround speakers for them to be effective.

Assuming a 5.1 setup.  Do you think that in-celling is a good option for the surround channels  or should stick with surrounds mounted on the side wall 2 feet from the back wall and 5 feet from the floor?  Thanks.

post #5 of 7 Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I personally would want wall mounted. Wall mounted surrounds have worked quite well for me, and it seems that there are more options speaker wise.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Perhaps you could post a pic or two of your room (assuming the 2013 pics in your sig are no longer valid)? Having the system on the long wall will not be beneficial to the sound quality of your HT. Anything you can do to re-arrange it by 90 degrees would have a great benefit in arranging the seating and the overall sound quality. With some pics, perhaps some folks here could chime in on possible solutions .. I suspect you are not the first person to run up against pipes, and such.

As to the surrounds, definitely go with on-walls, not in-walls. It gives you a lot more flexibility in placement. Once in-walls are in, you're stuck.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

This can give you a rough idea about the room size and furniture placement.  The little bar wall has radon pipes, as well as water pipes. On the wall were the screen is located, there is a door to the utility room where the HVAC is located.  I cannot block that door but the whole room will be sound proof with Roxul, GG and decoupling.

Thanks

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page