Recommend some Ultimate home theater speakers for about $10,000. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Thinking of selling my all vandersteen setup for more theater spec speakers.

Recommendations?

I only need the main speakers not the subs. Have dual seaton SubMersive HP's already.

I want great dymanics / clarity / intangibility / easy to power if possible.

I was thinking JTR or Seaton

Any others I should look at?
darthray likes this.
SOWK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 05-14-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Thinking of selling my all vandersteen setup for more theater spec speakers.

Recommendations?

I only need the main speakers not the subs. Have dual seaton SubMersive HP's already.

I want great dymanics / clarity / intangibility / easy to power if possible.

I was thinking JTR or Seaton

Any others I should look at?

Cannot help you but your room look GREAT!

Greater dynamic might also mean a sound that you might not happy with-it!!!

I went from DIY to aperion Verus Grand series hoping that I would have more bright, and it was other way.
The sound is more refine and balance and I Love it!

Like I said, I cannot help but give you a thump-up for your room.


Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
darthray is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Thank you for the nice comments. I really love the Vandersteens but there are time and phase correct speakers so your ear height has to be at a certain height to sound their best, and with me having a second row 1 1/2 feet higher then the first row the sound is compromised for the 2nd row.
SOWK is online now  
post #4 of 32 Old 05-14-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I haven't heard the Seaton Cats but would love to. I ended up buying the JTR Noesis 212s based on reviews and they are great speakers for music and arguably some of the best available for home theater. I also recently heard Danley SH50s and those were real nice with a HUGE soundstage. I'd recommend listening to the Cats, Noesis, and Danley SH50/SM60f for HT, which are all based on high efficiency design criteria. For HT I personally doubt I would go back to conventional speakers.

And since you're in WI, you won't need to go far to see Jeff at JTR. Those new 215RTs look like beasts so share your opinions once you hear them. And Seaton isn't located too far either as I believe he's near Chicago. Danley HQ is a little further in Atlanta. smile.gif. Good luck.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
dgage is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 586
I would also be looking at Pi speakers, especially since you say you want something easy to power. Pi speakers have a very good frequency response and especially off axis response, and they have an excellent impedance load, their Pi Threes and Fours stay well above 4 ohms at all frequencies. Any amplifier can make these speakers sing, even an entry level AVR. Their dynamic range will be on par with JTR and Seaton. You can get the Fours with an upgraded JBL 2226 mid woofer, which is commonly regarded as one of the best mid woofers in existence. They are not that expensive, a fully decked out Pi four is around $2k, and a base model is $1k. The The Seaton speaker are easy to power to since they are active. I have a chance to hear both the Cats and JTR 215s recently at an audio show, both terrific speakers. Yo can't go wrong with any of these manufacturers.
shadyJ is online now  
post #6 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dr_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I would recommend Dali Epicon 6 speakers. I have a pair and in music and movies they are stellar performers.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
Dr_Mark is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 586
I heard some Dali Epicon 6 speakers, very nice. The wouldn't have the dynamic range of these other speakers, and they go for more than $10k a pair. They do look a lot nicer than all these others though.
shadyJ is online now  
post #8 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I have a chance to hear both the Cats and JTR 215s recently at an audio show, both terrific speakers.
Could you give more detail on the differences?
rcohen is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,988
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I am purchasing Questeds (LT-10s and LT-8s). Ribbons that can do high SPLs. I had speakers with compression drivers but finally, after 10 years, am tired of fatiguing at high levels. I demo'd these before purchasing and what a breath of fresh air. Dynamic, powerful and fast!

Size is manageable but 70 lbs. Very high output. Below is an LT-10 and a pair of LT-8s





Might be a bit over budget but depends on room size for which speakers may work.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #10 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I am purchasing Questeds (LT-10s and LT-8s). Ribbons that can do high SPLs. I had speakers with compression drivers but finally, after 10 years, am tired of fatiguing at high levels. I demo'd these before purchasing and what a breath of fresh air. Dynamic, powerful and fast!

thebland - I normally don't respond like this but please don't put such over arching comments out there as "fact". Maybe you don't mean to be put this out as fact but someone reading later could make the assumption that all compression drivers have some design issue. It would be like me saying all ribbons can't play loud, which I'm not saying. Not all speakers are the same and not all compression drivers are the same.

The JTR Noesis 212s sound just as clean and articulate at low volume as they do way above reference. Does that mean you'd like them more than the new Questeds you've purchased...maybe, maybe not. If I ever get a chance to hear the Questeds, I will definitely take the opportunity so thanks for letting us know of another good speaker.
dgage is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I recommend the RBH SX-T1 Speakers.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post

Could you give more detail on the differences?

I haven't heard them so I'll let others chime in on that but they're really different animals.

The Seaton Catalysts are full active with 3-way ICE digital amplification (300w, 700w, 1000w) and they play from 55-21000Hz. Obviously these would need subs with music or movies.

The JTR Noesis 215RTs are 3-way passive speakers that play from 18-24000Hz. It is meant to be a full range tower for 2-channel music without any subwoofers needed. Depending on the room and person it might not need subwoofers for home theater either.

Other than that I'd find it hard to say how they'd sound different. I'm sure they don't sound the same but I've read they both have great, detailed sound with a large soundstage.
shadyJ likes this.
dgage is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I haven't heard them so I'll let others chime in on that but they're really different animals.

The Seaton Catalysts are full active with 3-way ICE digital amplification (300w, 700w, 1000w) and they play from 55-21000Hz. Obviously these would need subs with music or movies.

The JTR Noesis 215RTs are 3-way passive speakers that play from 18-24000Hz. It is meant to be a full range tower for 2-channel music without any subwoofers needed. Depending on the room and person it might not need subwoofers for home theater either.

Other than that I'd find it hard to say how they'd sound different. I'm sure they don't sound the same but I've read they both have great, detailed sound with a large soundstage.

+1, this sums it up. I can't really fairly compare them because the 215s were constrained to moderate sound levels, and both speakers were in different rooms, and both speakers played different material. I thought both sounded good. My guess is the 215s might have a bit more dynamic range then the Catalysts, maybe, and that guess is based only on greater woofer surface area. However either speaker will have more dynamic range than most people would ever need, even SPL junkies.
shadyJ is online now  
post #14 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3,116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I'll throw out the suggestion of the JBL Synthesis line.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 586
If you don't need huge dynamic range, look at some JBL LSR6332s. They have about perfect frequency response, and their off-axis response is excellent. They are THX pm3 certified mid-field monitors. If you want near perfect accuracy and very good dynamic range, that is a terrific speaker for $1550 each. Synthesis would be great as well, except I think that would quickly go over a 10k budget.
shadyJ is online now  
post #16 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,060
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Thinking of selling my all vandersteen setup for more theater spec speakers.

Recommendations?

I only need the main speakers not the subs. Have dual seaton SubMersive HP's already.

I want great dymanics / clarity / intangibility / easy to power if possible.

I was thinking JTR or Seaton

Any others I should look at?

If looking for a speaker that has the ability to do movies and music at a very high level, then consider Triad Plats. They can do the dynamics of HT and music is very good with them.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,060
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If you don't need huge dynamic range, look at some JBL LSR6332s. They have about perfect frequency response, and their off-axis response is excellent. They are THX pm3 certified mid-field monitors. If you want near perfect accuracy and very good dynamic range, that is a terrific speaker for $1550 each. Synthesis would be great as well, except I think that would quickly go over a 10k budget.

Good speakers, but at 90db sensitivity, you are going to want to put some wattage to them. Luckily they will handle 800 watt peaks. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,060
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I am purchasing Questeds (LT-10s and LT-8s). Ribbons that can do high SPLs. I had speakers with compression drivers but finally, after 10 years, am tired of fatiguing at high levels. I demo'd these before purchasing and what a breath of fresh air. Dynamic, powerful and fast!

Size is manageable but 70 lbs. Very high output. Below is an LT-10 and a pair of LT-8s





Might be a bit over budget but depends on room size for which speakers may work.

Those are along the lines of what I am moving to. A DIY design using dual TD12M's and a Beyma TPL-150H.
http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=5
http://www.beyma.com/products/diapharagmtweeters/1TPL15H8

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,988
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

thebland - I normally don't respond like this but please don't put such over arching comments out there as "fact". Maybe you don't mean to be put this out as fact but someone reading later could make the assumption that all compression drivers have some design issue. It would be like me saying all ribbons can't play loud, which I'm not saying. Not all speakers are the same and not all compression drivers are the same.

The JTR Noesis 212s sound just as clean and articulate at low volume as they do way above reference. Does that mean you'd like them more than the new Questeds you've purchased...maybe, maybe not. If I ever get a chance to hear the Questeds, I will definitely take the opportunity so thanks for letting us know of another good speaker.

No offense taken. I tested a Seaton Catalyst and have heard a full array at Art Sonneborn's fantastic theater. They are wonderful, dynamic speakers that will never run out of juice. In fact, before Mark and Jeff P. had their own company, they worked at ServoDrive and both traveled to my theater and installed the speakers (compression drivers) that I am replacing. So, their heritage is similar. Mark's Catalyst certainly had more of everything compared to my SPL Runts but, in the end, I simply wanted to fully change the sound in my room. I tested all speakers with a Trinnov MC-8, so all speaker were treated with an ideal room correction before listening.

Again, I have heard the full array of Cats in Art's room and certainly feel it was the best HT experience I've ever heard. They are great speakers. But in voicing the Quested AMT ribbons they had a character that was decidedly different over the other speakers. It's unmistakable even after full correction and time alignment. That said, likely 1/2 the people might prefer one over the other. I would've certainly saved money going with full on Catalysts but, again, I was ready for a change and in voicing the Questeds and their AMT drivers, I found what I was looking for. The speakers I tested had to meet SPL requirements and voice in a manner that was pleasing to me - so domes, for the most part, were out. Who knows, perhaps again I will return to horns / compression drivers in the next 10 years.

Compression drivers are competent drivers. My theater is one of the best sounding I've ever heard when I was using them. The Cats are excellent examples of such. I love Mark's subs and purchased a number (5) of Submersives over the Quested offerings smile.gif.
dgage and its phillip like this.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #20 of 32 Old 05-15-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

No offense taken. I tested a Seaton Catalyst and have heard a full array at Art Sonneborn's fantastic theater. They are wonderful, dynamic speakers that will never run out of juice. In fact, before Mark and Jeff P. had their own company, they worked at ServoDrive and both traveled to my theater and installed the speakers (compression drivers) that I am replacing. So, their heritage is similar. Mark's Catalyst certainly had more of everything compared to my SPL Runts but, in the end, I simply wanted to fully change the sound in my room. I tested all speakers with a Trinnov MC-8, so all speaker were treated with an ideal room correction before listening.

Again, I have heard the full array of Cats in Art's room and certainly feel it was the best HT experience I've ever heard. They are great speakers. But in voicing the Quested AMT ribbons they had a character that was decidedly different over the other speakers. It's unmistakable even after full correction and time alignment. That said, likely 1/2 the people might prefer one over the other. I would've certainly saved money going with full on Catalysts but, again, I was ready for a change and in voicing the Questeds and their AMT drivers, I found what I was looking for. The speakers I tested had to meet SPL requirements and voice in a manner that was pleasing to me - so domes, for the most part, were out. Who knows, perhaps again I will return to horns / compression drivers in the next 10 years.

Compression drivers are competent drivers. My theater is one of the best sounding I've ever heard when I was using them. The Cats are excellent examples of such. I love Mark's subs and purchased a number (5) of Submersives over the Quested offerings smile.gif.

Sounds like a heck of a system. Another speaker I'm interested in is a Danley HT specific version of the SM60f that they continue to hint at. I heard the Danley SH50s at a GTG as the guy didn't like the voicing of the JTR Noesis and they were really nice with a HUMONGOUS soundstage. Not quite as articulate but I'm hoping a dedicated HT version would be as dynamic and more articulate.
dgage is offline  
post #21 of 32 Old 05-16-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It's interesting reading about the impressions in the GTGs and how much they change from one to the next. I assume it's due to differences in the rooms.
rcohen is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 05-16-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post

It's interesting reading about the impressions in the GTGs and how much they change from one to the next. I assume it's due to differences in the rooms.

That and probably the home speakers have home field advantage of being dialed into the SYSTEM. The visiting speaker gets thrown in to the deep end and told to swim...or something like that. smile.gif
dgage is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,008
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Not all CD's are alike. The one currently used in the high end Noesis lineup is both a mid and HF driver with lower distortion and flatter FR than lesser CD's found in most designs. Based upon the Thread Starter's location, a road trip to JTR is definitely in order and be sure to give the 215RT's a listen. Best all around loudspeaker I have ever heard and that includes most mentioned here. smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Those are along the lines of what I am moving to. A DIY design using dual TD12M's and a Beyma TPL-150H.
http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=5
http://www.beyma.com/products/diapharagmtweeters/1TPL15H8

Mike - Do you have or are you going to do a build thread for these? I'd be very interested this setup especially after seeing the way @BEF-NO's speakers turned out. It looks like should be impressive.

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 05-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Pelly_NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Goldenear's new Triton One has received an incredible amount of praise since they were announced. Definitely worth taking a look there...
Pelly_NV is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 05-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Member
 
green giant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Klipsch Palladiums. Great for music, great for movies.

May have to go slightly used to hit your budget, but that is where I would look along with some of the Reference series for the rears.
green giant is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I haven't heard them so I'll let others chime in on that but they're really different animals.

The Seaton Catalysts are full active with 3-way ICE digital amplification (300w, 700w, 1000w) and they play from 55-21000Hz. Obviously these would need subs with music or movies.

The JTR Noesis 215RTs are 3-way passive speakers that play from 18-24000Hz. It is meant to be a full range tower for 2-channel music without any subwoofers needed. Depending on the room and person it might not need subwoofers for home theater either.

Other than that I'd find it hard to say how they'd sound different. I'm sure they don't sound the same but I've read they both have great, detailed sound with a large soundstage.
I'm curious how much of a difference active vs. passive makes to the sound.
Also, pros/cons for the different coax mid-tweeter designs.
rcohen is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 586
I have read that active tends to be a bit more efficient because the crossover can be an energy drain, but I don't know why that would be. As for coaxial mid tweeters, and advantage to that is the tweeter and mid do not have to deal with any phase issues since they are emitting sound from the same point. Also their off axis response can be much more seamless, as the KEF Uni-Q drivers have shown.
dgage likes this.
shadyJ is online now  
post #29 of 32 Old 05-23-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I think I am looking at the JTR 215RT's

Will my Parasound Halo A31 be a good AMP for these?

400 watts x 3 @ 4 Ohms

Or should I sell and get high wattage pro audio amp(s) instead?
SOWK is online now  
post #30 of 32 Old 05-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,008
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I think I am looking at the JTR 215RT's

Will my Parasound Halo A31 be a good AMP for these?

400 watts x 3 @ 4 Ohms

Or should I sell and get high wattage pro audio amp(s) instead?

With their 95db efficiency the Halo should do the job. If you have a very large room, or like to go really loud, you may need more power but I'm sure the Halo will drive the 215RT's to reference level without distortion in a normal sized room.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off