Moving from NHT 7.1 spkrs to Soundbar + ? = likely disappointment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-26-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would like to get your suggestions/feedback.

I am moving to another house, and won't have the room to do the theater setup like I have now. Will be moving to an LED TV (from my Epson 3010e projector to 92" screen). Current system has NHT speakers all around.

Below is a picture of the room as it is now in the house I am purchasing:

Here is a picture with a mock up of a 75" TV on the wall:

And here is one with a mock up of a 90" on the wall:

Not sure which TV I'll go with.

But my real problem/challenge is speakers. Below is a floor plan of the room:

I've been very happy with the NHT system. Given the room, I am expecting I need to use a soundbar. Been researching just a bit so far. The James soundbars seem to be considered very good...although I can't find pricing. I'm afraid I may faint when I find the pricing rolleyes.gif (I don't want cheap, but not necessarily stratospheric cost. But sound is important to me).

Also, I expect to continue to use a receiver. I doubt that multiple HDMIs are feeding through the wall to the TV.

My listening will be 90% TV; Movies vis Netflix and Blue Ray. I expect to listen to Blue Tooth streaming; Pandora; Sirius radio.

I do plan to have a sub. I think I can put one in the far left/front corner (looking at the TV).

Aside from what soundbar to get, my larger problem is what to do, if anthing can be done in my case, for the rear speakers. Among options that cross my mind are:

• Rear ceiling speakers. At this point, I don't know if the ceiling can be accessed to install. Would likely need to do wireless in that event. Maybe power could be provided to them by pulling from the elec to the can lights...uh, oh, that would be switched. eek.gif Not sure how feasible it would be. The ceiling is 12', and I don't know if they would be effective
  • Need to visit the home again to see if plugs are available on the left wall, that could feed under a couch, and feed wireless speakers on stands behind the couch. But those may be close to the head.
  • May not like the idea of this, and certainly my wife may not, even if it is a likely solution: in-wall type speakers mounted in the cabinet under the breakfast bar in the foreground of the picture. Speakers would be somewhat low. Not sure if that's a good solution

So...whatchall think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I think surrounds won't be a problem at all. You could use something like these NHT's

http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-Absolute-On-Wall-Speaker-White?sc=12&category=7166

Have the couch a foot or so ahead of them (closer to the TV) and have them about two feet above your seated ear height. That would work out perfectly.

Doesn't have to be NHT's but their on-walls are priced well and have a nice low profile design.

Like this:

Little Loft Home Theater
post #3 of 12 Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Instead of a sound bar, you could have a credenza under the TV that is about 7 feet long. Then you could put three NHT Absolute Zero's on top spread across for LCR.

Try the sub in the corner. If that doesn't sound good, I would consider having it near field. Slide the couch over and have it between the couch and that wall. That room is big, so having the sub near field might work better. Put a glass top on it and then it can double as a side table.

Little Loft Home Theater
post #4 of 12 Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

I think surrounds won't be a problem at all. You could use something like these NHT's

http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-Absolute-On-Wall-Speaker-White?sc=12&category=7166

Have the couch a foot or so ahead of them (closer to the TV) and have them about two feet above your seated ear height. That would work out perfectly.

Doesn't have to be NHT's but their on-walls are priced well and have a nice low profile design.

Interesting thought.My problem is getting wiring to them. Maybe that's easy for a professional, but way over my head. The couch would not be centered between the two speakers, but then I guess that's why we calibrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

Instead of a sound bar, you could have a credenza under the TV that is about 7 feet long. Then you could put three NHT Absolute Zero's on top spread across for LCR.

Try the sub in the corner. If that doesn't sound good, I would consider having it near field. Slide the couch over and have it between the couch and that wall. That room is big, so having the sub near field might work better. Put a glass top on it and then it can double as a side table.

Yes, I may consider that. In fact that is exactly what I am doing right now. My current credenza is custom made for our needs. I need to look to see if I can find a credenza that can be purchased that I can put the speakers behind.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Fishing some wires through sheetrock is really easy. I literally use an old fishing pole when I do it. smile.gif Then you can just run it along the baseboards with some wire-hide. Or better yet, run it through the basement.

Also, if you're going to speak to an installer, you could consider three in-walls below the TV. There are some very good ones out there. Then have a really low media stand underneath.

Little Loft Home Theater
post #6 of 12 Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the input. I should probably have provided a bit more information. First, here is a look at the room from another angle. Looking like not enough room to have the couch forward to have the speakers behind via the wall left and right. From this picture, I believe it looks like we won't have enough room in front when it's said and done:

But, who knows. Maybe I will. On one side of the coin, I"m starting the consideration of this early, as I don't have the house yet, and it'll be a bit before we move down. But wanting to plan. I'll be down there in a couple weeks to really evaluate the layout.

The other issue I have is the wife'll never let me run wire along the baseboards. Maybe behind. No basement either. This is down in Florida, and not many homes with basements there.

Also looking at that narrow wall to th eleft of the door, I'm thinking it is full of 2X4s, and an inwall speaker likely will not install there.

I"m also noticing, at least based on this furniture layout, there is no way to affect wireless speakers, as no way to run from the wall plug (that isn't there) under the couch.

Lookin' like rears may be an effort. Maybe in the counter back at the kitchen is still an option. But I'm not optimistic about that. The speakers mounted there may take up too much internal space, and may be too low. At a minimum, I suspect if I did use speakers there, they would need to be boxed in-wall speakers.

Just thinking on paper here.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You could put rears in the ceiling behind and to the sides of the couch or, if it turns out that the couch is behind the side wall speaker sites discussed earlier, you could get di-pole surround speakers, which would "non-localize" the direction of the sound coming from those speakers.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-29-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

You could put rears in the ceiling behind and to the sides of the couch or, if it turns out that the couch is behind the side wall speaker sites discussed earlier, you could get di-pole surround speakers, which would "non-localize" the direction of the sound coming from those speakers.

If I understand correctly, you are saying the correct placement would be behind, and off to each side of where we are sitting. That would be for the rear surrounds.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the side placement is not going to work...wires being an issue.

I'm thinking that maybe wireless in the ceiling, located like you say. What I'm not sure of is how I would get power to them.

You think that a 12' ceiling would not be an issue?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Mirage Omnipolar speakers but the company was bought by audiovox and I haven't see any store selling this speakers.

http://www.miragespeakers.com/

You can check on ebay or amazon.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post

If I understand correctly, you are saying the correct placement would be behind, and off to each side of where we are sitting. That would be for the rear surrounds.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the side placement is not going to work...wires being an issue.

I'm thinking that maybe wireless in the ceiling, located like you say. What I'm not sure of is how I would get power to them.

You think that a 12' ceiling would not be an issue?

Gotta say that it sounds to me like a high quality soundbar is the way to go for you, unless you are willing to pay for a professional to come in and install the speakers. Look at Yamaha and Golden Ear for good soundbars.

12' ceiling not optimal, but would be sufficient with good quality in-ceiling speakers with aim-able tweeters. You have to work around the WAF, so optimal is already off the table.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-29-2014, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
HTD flat panel speakers and In-Wall and In-Ceiling Speakers.

HTD flat panel speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/flat-panel-speakers/flat-panel-speaker

HTD in wall/ceiling speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/In-Wall-Ceiling-Speakers
post #12 of 12 Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with RayGuy. Get a sound bar. Atlantic Technology makes one which could cross over to your sub at 80hz.

And I wouldn't worry about simulated surround. Just get a sound bar that is stereo or 3.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Loft Home Theater
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page