mixing and matching speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a pair of klipsch f-30 floor standers. Like them but would like to add to my system. Looking for some bookshelf speakers that I can add along with them. But my question is, if I get speakers that arnt klipsch, will they possibly not blend well. I know klipsch sorta have their own sound being horn loaded. I'm looking at the infinity p163 bookshelf. May end up using just as straight stereo with all 4 speakers and then sometimes use the bookshelves as surround speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzy1990 View Post

Got a pair of klipsch f-30 floor standers. Like them but would like to add to my system. Looking for some bookshelf speakers that I can add along with them. But my question is, if I get speakers that arnt klipsch, will they possibly not blend well. I know klipsch sorta have their own sound being horn loaded. I'm looking at the infinity p163 bookshelf. May end up using just as straight stereo with all 4 speakers and then sometimes use the bookshelves as surround speakers.

Some people swear by timbre matching. I dont find it that serious. It really depends on what your ears hear.

I will say this though, matching a non-horn tweeter with the Klipsch might be more noticeable than not.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

Some people swear by timbre matching. I dont find it that serious. It really depends on what your ears hear.

I will say this though, matching a non-horn tweeter with the Klipsch might be more noticeable than not.

Good points and I agree with both of them. Although I haven't heard it myself I can't imagine horn/dome/ribbon tweeters being intermingled sounding too good across the front sound stage.

If you have some type of room correction on your receiver you should be ok if you're not really picky. I upgraded my Front Left/Right from B&W to Paradigm and still have my B&W center. After I ran Audyssey again on my receiver I can't tell that they're different brands of speakers when watching movies. For multi-channel music I can tell a slight difference with Audyssey and if it's Direct Mode Multi-Channel it sounds pretty bad.

PSN ID: javant86

post #4 of 4 Old 05-28-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Minimumly I suggest that people match their front 3 speakers. I have spent time with a system that has a missed match center and its obivious to me. The necessity of matching surrounds I have found to only be necessary when critically listening to multichannel music recording
Reply Speakers