Need Definitive Technology purchasing advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-30-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I want to upgrade from a philips htib (cheap one you get from walmart) to true home theatre experience.

I would like to receive some advice from you guys about the audio quality I'll get from these 2 systems, the pricing are similar so it's not an issue here.

Room size will be 19.9x10 ft (6.07x3.05 m)

System 1

• Definitive Technology SR-8040BP bipolar speakers  x2
  • Definitive Technology BP-8060ST SuperTowers with built in powered subwoofers x2
  • Definitive Technology CS-8040HD Centre Speaker x1

System 2

• Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000  x4
  • Definitive Technology ProCentre 2000   x1
  • Definitive Technology Supercube 2000  x1

I only want to choose between these 2 systems.

Thanks everyone for helping me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamyo View Post

I want to upgrade from a philips htib (cheap one you get from walmart) to true home theatre experience.

I would like to receive some advice from you guys about the audio quality I'll get from these 2 systems, the pricing are similar so it's not an issue here.

System 1
  • Definitive Technology BP-8060ST SuperTowers with built in powered subwoofers x2

System 2

Tough call. I'd vote for system 1 though. I'm a fan of the BP-8060ST. Can always add a bigger subwoofer later too.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

System 1

System 2

Indeed a tough call, but I would have to recommend "System 2", simply for the stand alone sub. I think you'll see a bigger difference with the matched set (4 ProMonitors) with a separate sub. This way you can "tune and optimize" the set up.

What we really need to know is how you plan to use this system, if it is mostly Home Theater, then I further recommend System 2. But, if it is a mix of music,HT, etc., then maybe System 1.

But, I love the sound of DT speakers, and they are a super value. So, you really can't go wrong. The best thing to do is try and audition both set ups at an audio store, and decide which sounds better to you.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #4 of 16 Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input truwarrior22 & bizwiz41. The speakers would be mostly for watching movies. I'll make my decision after this weekend since the deal I have on these 2 systems won't last long from the dealer. Right now I'm more thinking of setup #1 since like truwarriorr22 said I can add a sub after if I feel the need to.

post #5 of 16 Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
First off those are not powered subwoofers in the 8060 but powered woofers (big difference) best to get a separate sub with system 1 and not a DefTech sub but a real sub like SVS or Hsu for the same money as the DefTech sub you can buy a far more capable sub from an Internet direct company. The reason I say the towers are powered woofers is because if you use them as subwoofers your gong to hinder the sound quality because your going to be asking those woofers to try and handle frequencies it can't possibly handle. Best to set to small with a 40Hz crossover on those 8060's and use the powered woofers as mid bass woofers as that is what they are best used for. I have a pair of BP 7001sc and I would never ever use them as Large as the built in woofers would sound bloated and muddy sounding (even with a built in 1500 watt amp). So I have them set to small with a 40Hz crossover to my SVS subwoofer.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-03-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

What avr will be used? Any room correction?
post #7 of 16 Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I've purchased the BP-8060ST, SR-8040BP, CS-8040HD setup. It came along with a Denon AVR-X1000. I hope the AVR is not underpowered.

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avrx1000(denonna)

I have postponed my shipment until 1st week of July since I will be off on vacation soon and I didn't want to try out the system in a rush. I will let you guys know of my first time experience once I get it.

I will follow the recommended settings from Definitive Technology. I read that configuring the speakers should be done on manual setting on the AVR and not use Audyssey to do auto config. It will also be my first time using a AVR. I bought 14 gauge wires for the speakers and RCA cable for the sub output from monoprice.

I've downloaded the dvds authored tracks from avsforum to test the system once I have burnt in a few 10 hours.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've purchased the BP-8060ST, SR-8040BP, CS-8040HD setup. It came along with a Denon AVR-X1000. I hope the AVR is not underpowered.
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avrx1000(denonna)

I have postponed my shipment until 1st week of July since I will be off on vacation soon and I didn't want to try out the system in a rush. I will let you guys know of my first time experience once I get it.
I will follow the recommended settings from Definitive Technology. I read that configuring the speakers should be done on manual setting on the AVR and not use Audyssey to do auto config. It will also be my first time using a AVR. I bought 14 gauge wires for the speakers and RCA cable for the sub output from monoprice.
I've downloaded the dvds authored tracks from avsforum to test the system once I have burnt in a few 10 hours.

Nice. If your going to use room correction your better off with the X-3000 or X-4000, but it also cost a lot more. AVR-X1000 should work fine. I can use a AVR-2808 with my BP7000SC and achieve pretty good performance.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Make sure you use the center channel pre-out on your Denon to your center channel. I originally and mistakenly used the sub-out. I had some problems with my center working properly, then got it working properly, and now it is not working properly again. I'll need to call their service line. Long story short - the active top-firing woofer isn't firing now is the light turning green nor are the passive top-firing woofers working either.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

Make sure you use the center channel pre-out on your Denon to your center channel. I originally and mistakenly used the sub-out. I had some problems with my center working properly, then got it working properly, and now it is not working properly again. I'll need to call their service line. Long story short - the active top-firing woofer isn't firing now is the light turning green nor are the passive top-firing woofers working either.

Ok thanks for the advice, good thing the Denon avr I'm getting is very user friendly with input labels.

post #11 of 16 Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

My grammar was horrible. To be clear.... "currently, and after it was working properly, the active top-firing 5x10" racetrack woofer is not working nor is the red light turning green when receiving a signal. As well, the passive top-firing 5x10" radiators are not working either." The mid range drivers and tweeter sound wonderful but it does sound a bit odd with my Studio Monitor fronts which have lots of bass impact given their top-firing passive woofers. Totally aware that it could be user misuse, but I've been in this hobby for a very long time and I know that I have everything hooked up correctly and set up properly.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got my speaker set delivered. I'm waiting to receive my rear speaker stands next week. So far, I have only hooked up the front and speakers. The sound is amazing.
I have connected the 2 front sub-out of the BP-8060ST's to the denon x1000.

I would like to validate those settings with you guys:

In the AVR settings:
Front Speaker - Large
Bass:
Subwoofer mode: Do I put it LFE or LFE + Main?
LPF for LFE: 120hz or do I put lower?

CS-8040HD Center Speaker - Small
Crossover - 60hz

Thanks for the help everyone
post #13 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamyo View Post
Finally got my speaker set delivered. I'm waiting to receive my rear speaker stands next week. So far, I have only hooked up the front and speakers. The sound is amazing.
I have connected the 2 front sub-out of the BP-8060ST's to the denon x1000.

I would like to validate those settings with you guys:

In the AVR settings:
Front Speaker - Large
Bass:
Subwoofer mode: Do I put it LFE or LFE + Main?
LPF for LFE: 120hz or do I put lower?

CS-8040HD Center Speaker - Small
Crossover - 60hz

Thanks for the help everyone
Using the 8060's as subs (without a separate sub) and with your receiver I would do this:

Fronts:
Y Connector from the subwoofer output of your receiver and cable to each LFE input.
Speaker level out to mid/high
Receiver set to small
Crossover set to 100hz
(Only reason I say this is your still only dealing with 4 1/2" drivers and your taking away the low end for LFE, the sub being a 10" it should have plenty of quick movement for that high)
But play with both 80hz and 100hz, see which you like best , and also play with small & large.

Center:
Small / 80hz

Rears:
Small / 100hz

Sub:
LFE
But experiment with LFE+ because where you set your front crossover point will change this.
(+ basically means send low frequency signals to the mains also)

Oh, also didn't realize the 8060's didn't have speaker level connections for the Low, a separate sub may not really be needed after all, but that's just an observation from looking at the back of the speaker, don't know how their internally wired.

Last edited by ALtlOff; 07-09-2014 at 07:18 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Thanks for these settings, they worked out quite well!
post #15 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamyo View Post
Thanks for these settings, they worked out quite well!
Are you still using your towers as SW's? How are you liking that? I don't have nearly the knowledge/experience of almost anyone on this forum, but I'd recommend getting an external sub. You can pick up a Dayton 12" for 129.00. That's crazy cheap for a decent sub. Plus it will let you experiment without breaking the bank. Then you can save up a little for an SVS/Hsu (as mentioned above). That would be a substantial improvement over the Dayton, but I would venture to say the Dayton would be a solid improvement over your current setup too.

Then you can get a the full range intended from your towers and leave the LFE to your dedicated SW. Being that they were only 129/ea...i bought 2 lol

Regardless, good luck and happy listening.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
Are you still using your towers as SW's? How are you liking that? I don't have nearly the knowledge/experience of almost anyone on this forum, but I'd recommend getting an external sub. You can pick up a Dayton 12" for 129.00. That's crazy cheap for a decent sub. Plus it will let you experiment without breaking the bank. Then you can save up a little for an SVS/Hsu (as mentioned above). That would be a substantial improvement over the Dayton, but I would venture to say the Dayton would be a solid improvement over your current setup too.

Then you can get a the full range intended from your towers and leave the LFE to your dedicated SW. Being that they were only 129/ea...i bought 2 lol

Regardless, good luck and happy listening.

I am quite happy for now. Actually I found that not wiring the sub-out was easier to configure the towers and I had easier control with the sub-volume button behind the speakers.
I'm still in my "honey moon" period with the speakers
I will probably reconsider things in the future after a break in period for my ears...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page