Speaker search via cabinet size / dimensions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Our new home has a place for the mains, like an enclosure of sorts, but they are a tad small for our current front speakers. I can remove the feet, and they'd fit, but since I've had these since I was in the dorms 20+ years ago, it really is time to refresh these....

Is there a good website to help one shopping for speakers based upon dimension constraints or criteria?

Height, I can do about 28 1/2" max, and width, about 26". Depth should not be a problem...

Thanks much.
TonyB1966 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 06-08-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 351
You can look at categories such as towers, bookshelf speakers, satellites, etc. from sites like Best Buy, Amazon.

You're not going to find a tower speaker 28" tall though because the tweeter would be below ear level when seated.

You should look at bookshelf speakers and possibly a speaker stand.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #3 of 30 Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You can look at categories such as towers, bookshelf speakers, satellites, etc. from sites like Best Buy, Amazon.

You're not going to find a tower speaker 28" tall though because the tweeter would be below ear level when seated.

You should look at bookshelf speakers and possibly a speaker stand.

Thanks afrogt. That's what I've been doing...

Floor speakers have much smaller footprints these days (and taller), which I can see as being desirable, for a few reasons.

I see Cerwin Vega! and BIC speakers in the "traditional" shape (wider) that I'm seeking, but they seem to be 33" at the shortest. So, as you said, maybe a bookshelf speaker serving in this capacity should be considered. Can you think of any good candidates? Thanks again for making the time to help...
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 351
you need to go to your local audio stores and listen to as many speakers as you can. Speaker preference is totally subjective. What you like I may not like and vice versa.

And you also need to provide a budget which you haven't done. People can't give you recommendations if they have no idea how much you're willing to spend.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #5 of 30 Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Clearly understood on that front. Having not seen any that would "fit" the space there were no contenders to go listen to...

Bookshelf speakers serving as the main front left and right is a whole new search, which I'm just starting. Budget, about 500-700 dollars, for the pair...
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

Bookshelf speakers serving as the main front left and right is a whole new search, which I'm just starting. Budget, about 500-700 dollars, for the pair...

Look at the Focal 806V
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139677-focal-chorus-806v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

Ascend CMT-340
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
TonyB1966 likes this.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 284
+1 on the Ascend, an MTM speaker design would be a good option for a front speaker. But just make sure you keep them at the front edge of the cutout so you that you have adequate space for the rear port.
TonyB1966 likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just woke-up to these most recent two posts - thank you. It seems those Ascend CMT-340 are quite nice (been reading-up the past few minutes). Also, it looks like they are classified as "mini tower" speakers? If I would have known such existed, I would have been searching on such... The height seems to be about 20", so these would even fill that opening better than a bookshelf, so from an aesthetic point, nice too... And in the price range. Not sure I'll have any local to me to listen to though. Still hunting... I really appreciate the input guys!

Transmaniacon, pardon my ignorance, but what is meant by "just make sure you keep them at the front edge of the cutout so you that you have adequate space for the rear port."? I think I know what you are getting at... simply having them sufficiently forward to allow space for the wired connections. The depth of the opening is a tad over 21", so I'm guessing that would be fine. Also, since the ports look to be angled upwards, that would help in tight spaces...

From the bookshelf search last night, the Sony SS-B3000 was up pretty high on the list and our local, and quite large for a bookshelf, also about 20". Now that I'm aware of mini towers, another search...

The Ascend CMT-340 really has my interest though.
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Ported speakers need space near the port in order to function properly. With a rear ported speaker, you want at least 6" of clearance, and in sounds like in your case there shouldn't be an issue.

Stay away from those Sony speakers, they not good and the Ascends are far and away better. They also have a 30 day risk free trial so you can give them a shot and if you don't like them, mail them back.
TonyB1966 likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post


From the bookshelf search last night, the Sony SS-B3000 was up pretty high on the list and our local, and quite large for a bookshelf, also about 20". Now that I'm aware of mini towers, another search...

The Ascend CMT-340 really has my interest though.

Stay away from the cheapy Sony SS-B3000 speakers

The new Sony Core speakers are the ones to look at - they are nice and do sound good
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-5-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair/5721014.p?id=1219148662428&skuId=5721014&st=categoryid$abcat0205001&cp=1&lp=9

The Ascend 340 and Focal 806V are still good options
TonyB1966 likes this.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Alrighty. The other bookshelf speaker very high on the list was the Andrew Jones-inspired Pioneers...

I was unable to find much on "mini towers", making these CMT-340 SE's rather unique in size, so it seems...

So, these are only sold direct from Ascend Acoustics? No problem of course. An old Denon 3801 would be driving these (a 7.1 in total). It still manages to serve our purposes well...
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

Alrighty. The other bookshelf speaker very high on the list was the Andrew Jones-inspired Pioneers...

So, these are only sold direct from Ascend Acoustics? No problem of course. An old Denon 3801 would be driving these (a 7.1 in total). It still manages to serve our purposes well...

With your budget, I would go higher than Pioneer

Ascend has a 30 day return policy

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just ordered. Father's Day gift to myself, lol.

Thanks everyone for your input.
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If you are talking about having just ordered the AA CMT340, very good choice! I have listened to that a lot and really like the speaker for both HT and music!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

If you are talking about having just ordered the AA CMT340, very good choice! I have listened to that a lot and really like the speaker for both HT and music!

Yup, the CMT-340 SE's... Pretty excited about trying them out after what I've read.

Just need a new Karaoke player now to finish things up. The old one's RCA jacks has finally made it obsolete...
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post


Transmaniacon, pardon my ignorance, but what is meant by "just make sure you keep them at the front edge of the cutout so you that you have adequate space for the rear port."?

Place the speakers such that they protrude slightly out the front of the cabinet you are putting them in. This will minimize the reflections off the cabinet and allow the speakers to function at their best. if the speakers are recessed in a cabinet, the sides of the cabinet will reflect the sound and it will become muddy. Also, you may want to invest in some isolating feet for the speakers, so they will not induce unwanted vibrations in the cabinet itself and anything else that is on/in the cabinet.

Congratulations on your new toys! Enjoy!
TonyB1966 likes this.
RayGuy is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

Place the speakers such that they protrude slightly out the front of the cabinet you are putting them in. This will minimize the reflections off the cabinet and allow the speakers to function at their best. if the speakers are recessed in a cabinet, the sides of the cabinet will reflect the sound and it will become muddy. Also, you may want to invest in some isolating feet for the speakers, so they will not induce unwanted vibrations in the cabinet itself and anything else that is on/in the cabinet.

Congratulations on your new toys! Enjoy!

Great information RayGuy. I was wondering about that and was going to research that very concern...

As far as isolation of the speaker's base, instead of feet, are there mats that might do the trick? I have some large pieces of memory foam mats that could be trimmed, like those used for standing on, that I was contemplating...
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sorbothane seems to be all the rage : http://www.amazon.com/Isolate-It-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation/dp/B0042U8P9C/ref=sr_1_2/184-2644006-8699944?ie=UTF8&qid=1402344333&sr=8-2&keywords=speaker+isolation+pads

That said, there are some pad-type isolators at Amazon, too. They are quite a bit more expensive, so I would go for the cheaper solution to start and trade up if you find you need more.

EDIT: FYI, I looked at your speakers and see that they are rear-ported. Is the cabinet sealed in the back or open (behind the speaker)? Generally, when putting speakers IN a cabinet, it is better to use front-ported speakers. You may find that there is no issue in your situation, if there is sufficient space around the speaker, however, you should be aware that there is the potential for muddy bass, for the same reasons I described in my previous post. You've got 30 days to decide, so there will be plenty of time to know if it will be an issue or not.

One good experiment for you to try is to set up the speakers OUTSIDE of the cabinet (on stands or a stack of books or whatever) and listen to them. Move them around a bit (closer or further away from the walls). Once you have a feel for their performance, put them in the cabinet and try them again. Note whatever differences you hear. In-cabinet-mounting, by it's very nature, is a compromise and you should be fully aware of it's effect on the speaker's ability to perform to it's fullest.
TonyB1966 likes this.
RayGuy is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

As far as isolation of the speaker's base, instead of feet, are there mats that might do the trick? I have some large pieces of memory foam mats that could be trimmed, like those used for standing on, that I was contemplating...

You can use memory foam

You can even use self-adhesive rubber bumper feet - does not cost much.
The main thing I like to do, is to keep wood from touching wood

Also with your cabinet, you will have about 16 inches behind the speaker,
if it starts to sound a little muddy or boomy - then put some foam around
the back sides and rear wall - to help tame the tunnel effect.
TonyB1966 likes this.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You can use memory foam

You can even use self-adhesive rubber bumper feet - does not cost much.
The main thing I like to do, is to keep wood from touching wood

Also with your cabinet, you will have about 16 inches behind the speaker,
if it starts to sound a little muddy or boomy - then put some foam around
the back sides and rear wall - to help tame the tunnel effect.

Good stuff. I'll cut-out some memory foam padding and line the floor with the material.

From my calculations, with these speakers all the way forward, as discussed here, there will be about 10" of space behind. How did you figure 16"?
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

Good stuff. I'll cut-out some memory foam padding and line the floor with the material.

From my calculations, with these speakers all the way forward, as discussed here, there will be about 10" of space behind. How did you figure 16"?

My bad - I misread the 26 inch width

Use the memory foam on the bottom of the speakers, if the speakers can stand level.

If not, then use the bumper feet >>>

As stated, It may get a little boomy or muddy - if so, treat the bottom behind the speakers
and the sides and back wall - test it with the sound and do not under, or over do it.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
AA shipped today. Thanks Dina! She was great...

Is there a recommended material to fill such space? I have plenty of styrofoam from a recent TV purchase that I can cut to fit, then cover in fabric to look nicer... If there are any good discussions here on this topic of space filling, material options and general guidance, I'll try to find it.

zieglj01, you've been helpful, thank you.
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzy_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Try it in the space before you worry too much about it.

Are you going to stand them up vertically? If so, make sure whatever you put them on is very stable, with no risk of falling over. I'm not sure memory foam fits the bill.
buzzy_ is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

AA shipped today. Thanks Dina! She was great...

Is there a recommended material to fill such space? I have plenty of styrofoam from a recent TV purchase that I can cut to fit, then cover in fabric to look nicer... If there are any good discussions here on this topic of space filling, material options and general guidance, I'll try to find it.
After setting them up, If you feel you need to do something - then look at the Sonic Barrier
I would use this over memory and styrofoam
http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=foam%20damping&sitesearch=true
TonyB1966 likes this.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks buzzy_ Yup, plan to stand them up, and all the way forward, as discussed. So.... your concern is one that crossed my mind too. I might somehow tether it from the rear to prevent it from falling over, or find some other way to secure them.

zieglj01, I recall using that stuff in a friend's garage when we were kids, playing music in there!

As buzzy_ said, I'll fire these up tomorrow and if I sense a need, at least now I know what to get... Thanks again.
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Senior Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Try it in the space before you worry too much about it.

Are you going to stand them up vertically? If so, make sure whatever you put them on is very stable, with no risk of falling over. I'm not sure memory foam fits the bill.

I agree with this sentiment ... unstable surface with tethers to compensate? Not the best approach, IMO.
RayGuy is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a feeling that the mat will do the trick. If not, I'll try something else...

I used these (neoprene) to line the floor of one of our cargo storage containers. I'll cut pieces to fit below each speaker...

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Follow-up...

I want to say thank you again for the input provided here and the recommendation of the AA CMT340. We are still moving, have a lot stuff in boxes, but I found our PS3, popped in a CD (classical) and was just blown away. Not sure at the moment I'll need something below the speakers or in the back, but I'll get that refined later, if need be...

I must admit, when I first looked at the rear of the speakers, seeing separate inputs for tweeter and woofer, I scratched my head. I then remember seeing this before on some speakers I had some time back. No bi-amping or bi-wiring here, so I kept the bridge in place.

I have some JBL Control 1 Pro speakers that I really like, and just found in a box, and was hoping to use as surrounds, but they are 4 ohms though. I think they might kill my Denon 3801. I'll give them a go and monitor for heat...
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,307
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
I want to say thank you again for the input provided here and the recommendation of the AA CMT340. We are still moving, have a lot stuff in boxes, but I found our PS3, popped in a CD (classical) and was just blown away. Not sure at the moment I'll need something below the speakers or in the back, but I'll get that refined later, if need be...

I have some JBL Control 1 Pro speakers that I really like, and just found in a box, and was hoping to use as surrounds, but they are 4 ohms though. I think they might kill my Denon 3801. I'll give them a go and monitor for heat...
Glad that you like them

Not as much info goes to the surrounds - if you do not play at extreme volumes,
then try them out - and check the Denon for excess heat.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Glad that you like them

Not as much info goes to the surrounds - if you do not play at extreme volumes,
then try them out - and check the Denon for excess heat.
Not sure how to "like" posts now, but thanks much zieglj01. Makes sense when using them as surrounds, which would be in a 7.1 system, but I wonder what happens when I use them for tunes?

I'm going to wire-up these JBL's... Thanks again.

Last edited by TonyB1966; 06-13-2014 at 10:54 AM.
TonyB1966 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off