Advice on Speakers and Receiver in the $300ish range! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi All,

I've searched through the forums and have found a lot of good information...Unfortunately, most if it is out of my price range!! I am in the process of redoing my family room.

The Room:
10' x 19' The TV is on one 10' wall with a loveseat all the way on the back 10' section and a sofa in the middle of the 19' wall. The room is completely walled, with the exception of a half wall and a walkway that takes up about half of the back 10' wall. The room is carpeted.

We are going to be upgrading our current tv, an older SDTV to a new hdtv. We have been using the TV's speakers. Naturally, since we are upgrading to a new TV, we're going to get some speakers to go along with it too. My budget includes the TV and sound system. I'm trying to stay as close to 800 as I can for both...and since my TV is taking up about $550 of that budget, that leaves me with about 250 - 300 to spend on audio. I realize that for that amount of money, I am not going to get the best sound around...but I've been using the speakers in my tv for the past 8 years...I think I'll manage! tongue.gif

So, while Looking I have come across these few options

1.) Onkyo HT-S3500.
2.) Monoprice 8247 and a refurb Receiver from Accessories4less
3.) Monoprice 10565 and a refurb Receiver from A4L
4.) Dayton Audio HTP-1 and a refurb receiver from A4L

I was trying to look at the speakers included to check out their specs, but I got confused about all the numbers! Impedance, frequency, input power, etc.....head explodes, and I don't have the time to really sit down and study all of this stuff!

So, which set should I get? If it is the Dayton Audio set, I noticed that there are 3 sets with the only difference being the size of the sub. Will the 8" be fine for my room, or do I need the 10" or 12"? I also noticed that the Dayton (and the cheaper monoprice 8247s) say they come with mounting brackets. Are these good enough to just throw them up on my wall. I'm planning on having the rears on the wall, and the LCR on my TV stand.

And finally, what should I look for in the Receiver? I'm assuming a big thing to look out for is to match the output watts to what the speakers can handle...but other than that I'm clueless! One thing that I did notice on some of the refurb onkyo's on A4L that I liked was the 2nd 'zone' so I could throw some speakers out on my patio. I thought that was pretty cool!

Are there any other 5.1 sets (in my price range) that I have missed. Are there other speakers that might be cheaper to get separately to build a 5.1 set?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!

-Pez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I would avoid those HTIB kind of packages, they aren't worth the money. Instead, I would start with a simple 2.0 system. Buy a receiver, like the Denon AVR-1513, and a pair of bookshelves like the Pioneer BS22, and later on you can add a sub woofer and center/surrounds. This gives you a much better system initially, and room to expand it in the future.
darthray likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 06-10-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would avoid those HTIB kind of packages, they aren't worth the money. Instead, I would start with a simple 2.0 system. Buy a receiver, like the Denon AVR-1513, and a pair of bookshelves like the Pioneer BS22, and later on you can add a sub woofer and center/surrounds. This gives you a much better system initially, and room to expand it in the future.

Thanks for the advice on the HTIB. I think my better half is in more of the 'we're going to get this all done in one shot' mindset. The budget is already set aside in the bank, and I think it might be more difficult to get the 'finishing pieces' of my 5.1 system later on.

Building off of the idea of starting with a 2.0 system. Could I get by with a 5.0 system by buying some better speakers and foregoing the sub? would it make that much of a difference?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

For this kind of money, go used on the speakers. You can find excellant quality speakers for a fraction of the cost, it just takes some work. Even some of the higher end stuff will then be in your budget. I just bought a jbl studio s center for only $30 used. Just look into local adds an you should be good.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezgod View Post

Hi All,

I've searched through the forums and have found a lot of good information...Unfortunately, most if it is out of my price range!! I am in the process of redoing my family room.

The Room:
10' x 19' The TV is on one 10' wall with a loveseat all the way on the back 10' section and a sofa in the middle of the 19' wall. The room is completely walled, with the exception of a half wall and a walkway that takes up about half of the back 10' wall. The room is carpeted.

We are going to be upgrading our current tv, an older SDTV to a new hdtv. We have been using the TV's speakers. Naturally, since we are upgrading to a new TV, we're going to get some speakers to go along with it too. My budget includes the TV and sound system. I'm trying to stay as close to 800 as I can for both...and since my TV is taking up about $550 of that budget, that leaves me with about 250 - 300 to spend on audio. I realize that for that amount of money, I am not going to get the best sound around...but I've been using the speakers in my tv for the past 8 years...I think I'll manage! tongue.gif

So, while Looking I have come across these few options

1.) Onkyo HT-S3500.
2.) Monoprice 8247 and a refurb Receiver from Accessories4less
3.) Monoprice 10565 and a refurb Receiver from A4L
4.) Dayton Audio HTP-1 and a refurb receiver from A4L

I was trying to look at the speakers included to check out their specs, but I got confused about all the numbers! Impedance, frequency, input power, etc.....head explodes, and I don't have the time to really sit down and study all of this stuff!

So, which set should I get? If it is the Dayton Audio set, I noticed that there are 3 sets with the only difference being the size of the sub. Will the 8" be fine for my room, or do I need the 10" or 12"? I also noticed that the Dayton (and the cheaper monoprice 8247s) say they come with mounting brackets. Are these good enough to just throw them up on my wall. I'm planning on having the rears on the wall, and the LCR on my TV stand.

And finally, what should I look for in the Receiver? I'm assuming a big thing to look out for is to match the output watts to what the speakers can handle...but other than that I'm clueless! One thing that I did notice on some of the refurb onkyo's on A4L that I liked was the 2nd 'zone' so I could throw some speakers out on my patio. I thought that was pretty cool!

Are there any other 5.1 sets (in my price range) that I have missed. Are there other speakers that might be cheaper to get separately to build a 5.1 set?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!

-Pez

Honestly, $300 for a full 5.1 setup, receiver included, is near impossible. I just have to be honest. The Denon e300 at accessories4less is at $189.99 refurb. That is about as good as you can get for an entry level receiver w/Audessey. You can get he the Denon e200 for $100, but without Audessey.

From there, even if you went for the Dayton Audio complete setup, you are looking at $80 for the fronts and surrounds, you would have to find a center, and then their sub, which starts at around $100, shipping not included (may be free).

Honestly? Stretch your budget to $400 and it makes it much easier. Something to think about.
darthray likes this.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Buy a barebones Onkyo or Denon receiver that can do 5.1.

find some inexpensive speakers like the Sony SS-B series. SS-B3000 for your main fronts, and SS-B1000 for surrounds. Unfortunately the CN-5000 center speaker seems to be discontinued, but it was the weak link in that series anyway. Just get another set of the B1000 bookshelf speakers and use one for a center.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402433664&sr=8-1&keywords=Sony+SS-B3000+speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-4-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402433664&sr=8-2&keywords=Sony+SS-B3000+speakers

There is also this set of Surround + Center speaker from Sony.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-CR3000-Channel-Speaker-Package/dp/B000OG88NQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402433664&sr=8-3&keywords=Sony+SS-B3000+speakers

you could buy just the B3000 as fronts then the Surround+ Center package for $100 and have a 5.0 package for under $250

These are not high quality speakers, but for what you pay, they do the job and if setup right, they'll sound pretty good. Add a decent subwoofer and you'll be good till the upgrade bug hits again.

There's also the Energy Take classic for $300 which includes a subwoofer.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402433887&sr=8-1&keywords=Energy+speakers

A lot of people like this set though I feel the sub doesn't go sufficiently low. It's not bad for an ultra budget setup.

Basically, as long as the speakers you get are full-range (or close enough for government work) hook them up to a low-end receiver (Onkyo or Dennon are best for that purpose usually) and eventually get yourself at least 12" subwoofter (BIC F12, BIC PL-200, Klipsch RW12D etc) your living room HT system will sound pretty darned good. Will it sound Audiophile good? Nope. That costs money though. A lot more money than you want to spend, so don't obsess over it and get what you can afford. The important thing here? Don't let the audiophiles here convince you to spend more than you can afford. It's tempting, but you know your price range. Stick to it. And happy electronics hunting.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, don't be afraid to do this piece by piece.

What I did was get a pair of front speakers (Sony B3000) first, then added the center, then the surrounds later. Eventually I upgraded from a low-end Sony receiver I got for free from a friend to a mid-range Denon 7.1 surround receiver. You can always get the subwoofer later. Many here will recommend you get the fronts and the sub at once, but that's not strictly necessary, especially if you are moving up from basic TV speakers...you won't miss the bass. The front speakers you buy will have so much better bass than the TV speakers you are used to, they'll seem adequate until you actually hook a real subwoofer to the system.

So take your time. Shop smart. Go piece by piece. I recommend getting a Denon receiver and a pair of front speakers. You should be able to do that for around $300ish.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Denon 1513 receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

JBL Studio 130
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-130-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00413OWO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402435649&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+130

Also at JBL online - free shipping
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/product/productDetails.jsp?pid=STUDIO%20130

See if you can stretch for ths Studio 120 center
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-120c-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00413OWOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402435795&sr=1-1&keywords=jbl+studio+120

Also at JBL online - free shipping
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-120C/STUDIO%20120C_JBL_US?skuId=STUDIO%20120CBK_JBL_US

The save to add your sub and surrounds -
NuSoardGraphite likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 06-10-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

What are your thoughts on the Insignia NS-SP213's It looks like you have posted on some other forums about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

Honestly, $300 for a full 5.1 setup, receiver included, is near impossible. I just have to be honest. The Denon e300 at accessories4less is at $189.99 refurb. That is about as good as you can get for an entry level receiver w/Audessey. You can get he the Denon e200 for $100, but without Audessey.

From there, even if you went for the Dayton Audio complete setup, you are looking at $80 for the fronts and surrounds, you would have to find a center, and then their sub, which starts at around $100, shipping not included (may be free).

Honestly? Stretch your budget to $400 and it makes it much easier. Something to think about.

Is this Audyssey stuff really important, or is something of a gimmick?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 192
-Refurbished Denon AVR-1513, $110
-Polk RM6750 5.1 Speaker set

I started with the Polk RM6750 5.1 and was extremely impressed with its performance
Old 06-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 168
+1 on getting separates and starting with a 2.0 or 2.1 system with a decent receiver. Remember that most of a movie's soundtrack comes from the front, and you can pick up super cheap speakers and use them as rear channels and it will hardly make a difference, they can even be of different make.

What I did when I went 9.1 was get a whole bunch of Dayton audio 35 dollar speakers. But by far the biggest and best thing is get a decent receiver like the Denon that others mentioned, and then a sub. Any sub will do, even a 50 dollar one. Then with the rest of your cash get the front 3 speakers or front 2 for a 2.1 system. Use some old speakers that people have lying around for the rear channels, or pick some up for dirt cheap at a pawn shop. The rears are not worth spending money on. I would advise also getting a front pair of speakers that's got as big a woofer as you can get for the price. Bigger woofers make a big difference in terms of the sound output, it's just basic physics of displacement. With a smaller woofer your speakers can move less air. A lot of those tiny dirt cheap satellites have zero low end and will distort like crazy and probably blow eventually, if you run them at any kind of volume. Even a single explosion can ruin a speaker, expensive or not. Make sure your cross over is set up properly because you would not believe how many times I've seen full range signals being sent to bookshelves and people wonder why they are all distorting and have blown drivers. Because the bass is supposed to go to your sub only, duh.

Lots of good advice in this thread. And yeah that deal for the 100 dollar Denon up there looks great. Get it. You can avoid getting a center channel which is more expensive usually, by running a phantom center (just set the center channel to disabled in the receiver but still accept a 5.1 or 7.1 signal, it should route the data from the center to the left and right channels instead automatically). A better pair of left and right will sound better overall (especially music), than a cheaper trio of left, right, and center.

Don't buy everything at once with that budget. Get the best front 2 speakers you can get after you get your receiver and a sub. There are often deals for subs and it is night and day the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 for both movies and music, even a cheap sub is better -- much better - than none at all.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezgod View Post

What are your thoughts on the Insignia NS-SP213's It looks like you have posted on some other forums about them.
Is this Audyssey stuff really important, or is something of a gimmick?

Insignia is a nice speaker - and one of the better speakers at Best Buy - however,
they do not have much bass.

I for one do not use Audyssey, or any other built-in automatic speaker set up. My
sound system still sounds real good, with-out them auto calibrating systems >>>
However, nothing wrong with using them - to each their own.

Nothing wrong, with starting with something like the Denon 1513.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Your best bet on cheap speakers would be these -

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652#lblSimilarProduct

They had some quality problems with the tweeter in the past but they fixed that.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Here is my thoughts now.

For receiver, go with either the denon 1530 or the Onkyo TX-SR313
With shipping for them it comes out to $127.14 for the Denon vs $135.14 for the Onkyo. The Onkyo has a ton more inputs, as well as a USB port on the front...which is cool. But the Denon has an HDMI on the front, which is also awesome. Is one brand better than the other? More reliable? Is the onkyo adding extra inputs/outputs at the expense of audio output quality?

As for speakers, what are the thoughts on these?

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers they are $97/pair on amazon

Dayton Audio B652$34.80/pair

If I went with the Pioneer or the JBL suggested earlier, Would the Dayton speakers be fine for the surrounds? Or would 3 sets of the Daytons be fine? (Left Center Right and surrounds)? Am I going to notice a huge difference between any of those 3 speaker sets? If I go with a more expensive pair of front speakers, I probably won't end up with a center channel. Will there be a huge difference between having the 2 speakers vs having a center channel? Also, going the route of the Dayton speakers for pretty much everything, is there any disadvantage to using one of those speakers as the center channel, or is it better to get an actual 'center' speaker?
Is there an appreciable difference between having a 4.1 system vs a 5.1 system?

As for a sub, for about the same price, I have found a refurb Yamaha YST-SW216, a Pioneer SW-8MK2 and a Dayton Audio SUB-800

Again, trying to stay as close as I can to my budget, If I get the Denon Receiver, Pioneer L+R, and any of the subs, I'm looking at approximately $325. Throw in a cheaper set of surrounds, and I'm just past $350.(which isn't actually much more than going with the cheapest dayton audio 5.1 package now that I look at it, and would probably be much better...except for the missing center channel....)

Thoughts?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You'll want them to match so don't mix ^ Love my Pioneers, but you can even get by with a $20 T-Amp and save for better speakers if you want, then get the center channel.

Dual Dayton 1200 subs for $250 would blow you away!! Or you can save for a legit brand like Hsu in the $3-400 range.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

You'll want them to match so don't mix ^ Love my Pioneers, but you can even get by with a $20 T-Amp and save for better speakers if you want, then get the center channel.

Dual Dayton 1200 subs for $250 would blow you away!! Or you can save for a legit brand like Hsu in the $3-400 range.
So you are saying don't mix and match the satellites with the front speakers? I guess the 'ideal' setup would be 5 matched speakers. But that's out of my price range right now. If I were to go with the pioneers (because they are cheaper than the jbl's) I could either get the LR and a sub, or the LRC and no sub. to stay within my price range. so I'd have either a 2.1 or a 3.0 system. It looks like I might be able to shave a few dollars off by going with the amazon warehouse deals. Maybe I can squeeze something good into my budget!

EDIT: Just looked on camelcamelcamel Looks like the price of the Pioneers was down to $65 a pair and the center was down to $50 just a few days ago!! I could've got my full 5.1 package of those speakers (with the matching sub and denon receiver) for just under $400!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezgod View Post
So you are saying don't mix and match the satellites with the front speakers? I guess the 'ideal' setup would be 5 matched speakers. But that's out of my price range right now.
For mainly home theater - you can mix surrounds, a lot of people
do that. The main thing is to timbre (tone color) match the front
3 channels. The Daytons can work as surrounds.

If you do mainly surround music - it is better to timbre match the
surround speakers.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
For mainly home theater - you can mix surrounds, a lot of people
do that. The main thing is to timbre (tone color) match the front
3 channels. The Daytons can work as surrounds.

If you do mainly surround music - it is better to timbre match the
surround speakers.
Cool. If those pioneer speakers go on sale again I could get the bookshelves and center, then the daytons for the surround and a sub and either the denon or onkyo receiver for right around $360!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks again for all the great advice.

Here is my thoughts now.

For receiver, go with either the denon 1530 or the Onkyo TX-SR313
With shipping for them it comes out to $127.14 for the Denon vs $135.14 for the Onkyo. The Onkyo has a ton more inputs, as well as a USB port on the front...which is cool. But the Denon has an HDMI on the front, which is also awesome. Is one brand better than the other? More reliable? Is the onkyo adding extra inputs/outputs at the expense of audio output quality?

As for speakers, what are the thoughts on these?

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers they are $97/pair on amazon

Dayton Audio B652$34.80/pair

If I went with the Pioneer or the JBL suggested earlier, Would the Dayton speakers be fine for the surrounds? Or would 3 sets of the Daytons be fine? (Left Center Right and surrounds)? Am I going to notice a huge difference between any of those 3 speaker sets? If I go with a more expensive pair of front speakers, I probably won't end up with a center channel. Will there be a huge difference between having the 2 speakers vs having a center channel? Also, going the route of the Dayton speakers for pretty much everything, is there any disadvantage to using one of those speakers as the center channel, or is it better to get an actual 'center' speaker?
Is there an appreciable difference between having a 4.1 system vs a 5.1 system?

As for a sub, for about the same price, I have found a refurb Yamaha YST-SW216, a Pioneer SW-8MK2 and a Dayton Audio SUB-800

Again, trying to stay as close as I can to my budget, If I get the Denon Receiver, Pioneer L+R, and any of the subs, I'm looking at approximately $325. Throw in a cheaper set of surrounds, and I'm just past $350.(which isn't actually much more than going with the cheapest dayton audio 5.1 package now that I look at it, and would probably be much better...except for the missing center channel....)

Thoughts?
Get the Pioneer speakers, or something else, instead of the Dayton ones. I have a bunch of those and they aren't very good. Got 8 of them including a center and wish I would have gotten 4-5 better quality ones for the same cash.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Get the Pioneer speakers, or something else, instead of the Dayton ones. I have a bunch of those and they aren't very good. Got 8 of them including a center and wish I would have gotten 4-5 better quality ones for the same cash.
Thanks for that glowing review of the Daytons!

how do you think they would work as just the rear speakers? Also, do you have one of the Dayton subs? How is that?

thanks for the help
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

So, here's what I'm thinking

Front Speakers:
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Hopefully they'll go on sale again soon)
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker (Hopefully this will also go on sale again soon)

Sub:
Dayton Audio Sub-800

Receiver:
Onkyo TX-SR313

Those 4 (assuming sales on the pioneers...i can wait!) bring my total up to $340. (I can shave off $8 by going with the Denon receiver...which is a possibility, but I really like the "Front B" outputs on the Onkyo, just in case I ever decide to throw some speakers on my patio. So that's why I've picked that one for now)

So, all I'm left with is to find some (inexpensive) rear speakers for the back of my room.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, all I'm left with is to find some (inexpensive) rear speakers for the back of my room.
sure, go for the Dayton B652's. As I said, they had some QC problems for about a year that they've now fixed. (Some people got sent some replacement tweeters which vastly improved them. rlburnside may have gotten some of the bad tweeters or different models.)
Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
sure, go for the Dayton B652's. As I said, they had some QC problems for about a year that they've now fixed. (Some people got sent some replacement tweeters which vastly improved them. rlburnside may have gotten some of the bad tweeters or different models.)

wonderful!! Thanks everyone for all the help!!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quite possibly. I'm using the speakers I have left that still sound OK, until I get rid of them all.

These are not a speaker that one can be significantly happy with for any real period of time. I only bought them because they were insanely cheap and had a decent woofer size. They're probably better than anything at this price, or even double the price at stores like BestBuy or whatever low end stuff they have, but these are not high end speakers by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm giving my suggestions to get fewer but better quality ones, as a matter of personal opinion from not only having owned them, but also owned B&Ws and Klipsch THX Ultra 2s powered by an Emotiva XPA-3.

These little guys weren't even that cheap when the shipping price got factored in. They were a pit stop towards getting a new system, and unfortunately I'm still waiting for other pieces before I get rid of them. If I can't get anyone to buy them locally on craigslist, perhaps with my old receiver when I upgrade it, I'll just give it away. But not to a friend, because I don't want to hear these speakers again if I go to their place.

You sometimes get much more than what you pay for, but even still, there's only so much you can squeeze out of such a modest speaker. It's a modestly priced speaker for those on a very modest budget. They're basically there to help you get your separates up and then gradually upgrade out of them. I don't see that many people, especially not AVS members, being very happy with 35 dollar speakers for a significant time. Even if they are 4.5 / 5 stars on PartsExpress, they are still low end speakers make no mistake. I've owned higher end speakers, these do not compare really.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Quite possibly. I'm using the speakers I have left that still sound OK, until I get rid of them all.

These are not a speaker that one can be significantly happy with for any real period of time. I only bought them because they were insanely cheap and had a decent woofer size. They're probably better than anything at this price, or even double the price at stores like BestBuy or whatever low end stuff they have, but these are not high end speakers by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm giving my suggestions to get fewer but better quality ones, as a matter of personal opinion from not only having owned them, but also owned B&Ws and Klipsch THX Ultra 2s powered by an Emotiva XPA-3.

These little guys weren't even that cheap when the shipping price got factored in. They were a pit stop towards getting a new system, and unfortunately I'm still waiting for other pieces before I get rid of them. If I can't get anyone to buy them locally on craigslist, perhaps with my old receiver when I upgrade it, I'll just give it away. But not to a friend, because I don't want to hear these speakers again if I go to their place.

You sometimes get much more than what you pay for, but even still, there's only so much you can squeeze out of such a modest speaker. It's a modestly priced speaker for those on a very modest budget. They're basically there to help you get your separates up and then gradually upgrade out of them. I don't see that many people, especially not AVS members, being very happy with 35 dollar speakers for a significant time. Even if they are 4.5 / 5 stars on PartsExpress, they are still low end speakers make no mistake. I've owned higher end speakers, these do not compare really.
Even though the OP has raised his original budget, he wants/needs something cheap -

"that leaves me with about 250 - 300 to spend on audio. I realize that for that amount of money, I am not going to get the best sound around...but I've been using the speakers in my tv for the past 8 years...I think I'll manage! "

If he's unhappy with them, he'll ask again about an upgrade. As per the above quote, I'm sure he'll be satisfied with them. It's only $35, no big loss if he's not crazy about them.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Even though the OP has raised his original budget, he wants/needs something cheap -

"that leaves me with about 250 - 300 to spend on audio. I realize that for that amount of money, I am not going to get the best sound around...but I've been using the speakers in my tv for the past 8 years...I think I'll manage! "

If he's unhappy with them, he'll ask again about an upgrade. As per the above quote, I'm sure he'll be satisfied with them. It's only $35, no big loss if he's not crazy about them.
I've actually started thinking about my budget a bit differently now... I'm figuring I'll have the speakers for MUCH longer than I'll have a TV, so with that in mind, I'm thinking about getting 2 pairs of the Pioneer speakers for my front and rear, plus the center channel. (If I'm willing to spend $35 on the Daytons, why not add another $30 for the Pioneers....this whole project keeps getting more and more expensive!!!!) Add in the Onkyo receiver I mentioned above, and my total for that package comes out to about $315 without a sub, or about $415 with a sub. (I'll just wait for the Speakers to go on sale again...I've got alerts set on camelcamelcamel and slickdeals, but the prices just jumped back to $129/pair, so it might be a while! )

Because of the size of my room, and the seat placements, I was planning on getting a 50"-55" screen. Without the sub, my TV budget would then be about $485, with it would be $385. I'm not sure I could get a 50" for less than $400 (though I did find a "sceptre" brand at walmart that is $399 for a 50"....not quite sure about that brand though...) There are howerver Plenty of 50" tvs for just shy of $500 that I could make work (panasonic, insignia, hisense, and a few others...).

What say you audio experts. Are these speakers OK enough on the low end to skip on the sub for about a little while? Or should I try to stretch the budget and get an even cheaper tv to get the sub?

Just an FYI in case any of you care/have recommendations about TVs....Here is what I'm looking at.

Vizio E500i-B01 - $569.99
Panasonic TC-50A400U - $499.99
Insignia NS-55D550NA15 - $529.99
Insignia NS-50D550NA15 - $479.99
Hisense 50H5G - $498.00
Sceptre X505BV-FMDR - $399.00

Last edited by pezgod; 06-17-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Department of Redundancy Department reviewed my post and found it to be in violation of the Redundant code of Redundancy
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Pioneer speakers are a nice choice - they still need help with some bass.
I would at least look at a Dayton sub at Parts Express - budget friendly prices.

I would go with a Panasonic TV

Your call

Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The Pioneer speakers are a nice choice - they still need help with some bass.
I would at least look at a Dayton sub at Parts Express - budget friendly prices.

I would go with a Panasonic TV

Your call
Forgot to mention I have a 10% off coupon for bestbuy if I get my TV there So the price of the panasonic out the door comes to $481.49

One last question dealing with the speakers. From receiver to the back I'll be running approx 35' of wire for the rears (into attic and back down into rear of room). Is 16 gauge wire fine, or should I go bigger? I'll also need to find some wall / ceiling mounts for the rears as well, but i'm not really worried about that, since that should fit in with the 'furniture' budget!

So you'd definitely recommend getting a sub. Would the Dayton Sub 800 be fine? I found a $10 off $100 coupon online for parts express. Shipping on the 800 is free if I spend $98, else it's $12...which puts it at just over $100..so it's better for me to spend some extra to get free shipping and $10 off!!!

Sub Options:
1.) Dayton 800 + $20 worth of speaker wire. Total: ~$100
2.) Dayton 1000 + nothing else. Total: ~$109

as a side note...Vizio is selling their TV saying it is 120hz, when it's actually 60hz with 120 backlight scanning. Panasonic is selling theirs AS a 60hz panel, but if you look in the specs, it says it has 120hz backlight scanning. A difference in marketing, but the same principle. The thing I liked about the Vizio though is the direct lit instead of edge lit. Anybody know if any of the other TVs (hisense/insignia/sceptre) are direct lit or edge lit?

The panasonic is tempting me just because it is a reputable brand name...but does that really matter much anymore?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would at least, buy a 10 " sub

I prefer Panasonic over Vizio

Your call