Which option would you choose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which option would you choose?

Currently finishing my basement to be a family room. Because it's serving so many purposes (playroom, family TV room, etc...) I cannot get my ideal HT setup

Anyway the drop ceiling is fairly short (like 6.5ft) so I'm probably going to have to do ceiling speakers for the surrounds. My question is should I get wall mount speakers for the front 3 and 2 (or 4) ceilings for surround, or should I just do all 5 (or 7) ceiling speakers?

FYI- looking at about $1-$1.5K total for speakers (haven't even started looking into them yet though)

Last edited by Ragnrok23; 06-12-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
Currently finishing my basement to be a family room. Because it's serving so many purposes (playroom, family TV room, etc...) I cannot get my ideal HT setup

Anyway the drop ceiling is fairly short (like 6.5ft) so I'm probably going to have to do ceiling speakers for the surrounds. My question is should I get wall mount speakers for the front 3 and 2 (or 4) ceilings for surround, or should I just do all 5 (or 7) ceiling speakers?

FYI- looking at about $1-$1.5K total for speakers (haven't even started looking into them yet though)
Do yourself a big favor and do not use in-ceiling speakers unless you absolutely must. If there is an issue with having floor-standing speakers sitting out in the room, get some on-wall speakers. They even come in white, if the wife doesn't want big black rectangles on the walls.

If you don't have any place to mount on-walls at the rear of the room, you can use in ceiling speakers for the surrounds.

There are a lot of drawbacks to in-ceiling speakers. First, they are much more expensive to get similar quality sound. Second, the whole issue of running the wires, cutting the holes, etc.... it's lot of work. Third, once you have cut the holes, you are stuck with the placement. What if it doesn't sound right? Cut new holes in the wall? If, instead, you used on-walls, you just move them! Last, in ceiling speakers give the impression of the sound not being integrated with the picture.

Do some research on on-wall speakers. They have come a long way in the last few years and there are many excellent choices.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-12-2014 at 09:27 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Do yourself a big favor and do not use in-ceiling speakers unless you absolutely must. If there is an issue with having floor-standing speakers sitting out in the room, get some on-wall speakers. They even come in white, if the wife doesn't want big black rectangles on the walls.

If you don't have any place to mount on-walls at the rear of the room, you can use in ceiling speakers for the surrounds.

There are a lot of drawbacks to in-ceiling speakers. First, they are much more expensive to get similar quality sound. Second, the whole issue of running the wires, cutting the holes, etc.... it's lot of work. Third, once you have cut the holes, you are stuck with the placement. What if it doesn't sound right? Cut new holes in the wall? If, instead, you used on-walls, you just move them! Last, in ceiling speakers give the impression of the sound not being integrated with the picture.

Do some research on on-wall speakers. They have come a long way in the last few years and there are many excellent choices.
Unfortunatly, I think my only options for the surrounds are going to be ceiling speakers (unless I want one wall mounted 6 ft away from couch and the other 15 ft away)

But you answered my question on the front speakers should be wall mounted- Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
Unfortunatly, I think my only options for the surrounds are going to be ceiling speakers (unless I want one wall mounted 6 ft away from couch and the other 15 ft away)
When restricted > in-ceiling speakers can work for surround sound. There are some
decent ones out there on close-out pricing.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page