Help my upgrade (or replace) my Axiom system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help my upgrade (or replace) my Axiom system.

I bought a 5.1 speaker system from Axiom a decade ago. At the time, they seemed like great bang for the buck - although I realize they are not universally loved. M22Ti fronts, QS8 surrounds, VP150 center, EP350 sub.

We are about ready to move into a new house. I plan on buying a new Denon receiver (maybe the X2100 or 3100, not sure yet.) that can power a 7.2 system.

The house has in ceiling Paradigm speakers in place for the two rears and is otherwise wired for a 7.2 system. I'd like to buy new speakers, and could spend 2-3 thousand total if needed.

My questions are whether I should buy some new or used speakers (and I'm completely noncommital to any brand) like Paradigm CC590 and Studio 60's and intermix this with the Axiom that I already have - or do I really need to replace everything at once.

If I use the 2 subwoofers that the receiver would support, can I use my old Axiom sub with a different new one - or would using two different brands/eras of subs together cause audible problems?

How about my surrounds? Are the QS8's still considered decent? I realize that the "ideal" solution would be to buy all new stuff, but that would be pretty pricey unless I dropped well below the Paradigm studio quality level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The biggest and best upgrade you can possibly do is ditch that VP150. After I sold off my VP150 and replaced it with a proper center, everything was just much better. The M22 aren't bad but there is much much better options out right now currently. Ascend Acoustics, HSU Research, and Aperion are good places to start.

If I was you I would try and sell it on Axioms forum, they will gobble them up pretty quick.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
All of the Axiom line has been updated to Version 4 so your's are quite dated & obsolete now. They are not as inexpensive as they used to be due to the fact that much of their manufacturing is still done over here, although they do have a small facility in Asia that supplies certain parts. I suggest that you go join the Axiom Factory Forum & see what the 'brand experts' think.

Axiom does have a generous 'Trade Up' program that I recently used to upgrade from QS4V3s to the newer QS8V4s. Although in the real world I don't hear a lot of difference between the 2 models, the QS series is generally highly regarded in the HT world. I would also recommend the VP100 (that I recently traded up to a VP160) or preferably the bigger beast that I run now. It is an outstanding CC but is unfortunately quite large for many System Stands. My L & R are M22V3s that are perched on top of their own Velo 10" subs.

IMO this modest system performs wonderfully in my medium sized room In fact, it even surprised my next door neighbour inside his house the other night when in the last hour of my 'Gettysburg' Blu Ray, the impressive scene of a dozen or more cannons firing sequentially down the line - this all at a Master Volume setting of -10 Db, ha!

Hope this helps...

TAM
Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

So it sounds like I may be OK keeping the QS8's as surrounds for now - and just focusing on the front 3. How about the sub? What do you think of the old Axiom sub - do I simply replace it, or add a second sub to it once I have the 7.2 capability? I don't know how much the second sub actually adds.

My room is huge - tv area/bar/ping pong & shuffleboard are all in one large open basement space. However, the speakers/tv are focused in one corner.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thp427 View Post
So it sounds like I may be OK keeping the QS8's as surrounds for now - and just focusing on the front 3. How about the sub? What do you think of the old Axiom sub - do I simply replace it, or add a second sub to it once I have the 7.2 capability? I don't know how much the second sub actually adds.

My room is huge - tv area/bar/ping pong & shuffleboard are all in one large open basement space. However, the speakers/tv are focused in one corner.
I use an SVS cylinder sub (SV20-39PCI) with my Axiom speaker system in a relatively small HT space (about 12 feet by 22), and am really happy with the combination. I use M60 fronts, the VP150, QS8 surrounds, and M2s in the rear, and have had them for a number of years now. That SVS sub is great, even if it does look like a small water heater. I still play the Finding Nemo scene where Darla taps on the fish tank glass for visitors, which shows just how tight and clean good strong bass can be - it never fails to impress!

You don't say why you are looking to replace the Axioms - are you unhappy with the sound, or just looking for something different? The first speakers I bought were the M22s as a test, and liked the sound so much it led to purchasing the rest of them. Still very pleased with the sound - I went through a lot of speakers before them ...
Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
I use an SVS cylinder sub (SV20-39PCI) with my Axiom speaker system in a relatively small HT space (about 12 feet by 22), and am really happy with the combination. I use M60 fronts, the VP150, QS8 surrounds, and M2s in the rear, and have had them for a number of years now. That SVS sub is great, even if it does look like a small water heater. I still play the Finding Nemo scene where Darla taps on the fish tank glass for visitors, which shows just how tight and clean good strong bass can be - it never fails to impress!

You don't say why you are looking to replace the Axioms - are you unhappy with the sound, or just looking for something different? The first speakers I bought were the M22s as a test, and liked the sound so much it led to purchasing the rest of them. Still very pleased with the sound - I went through a lot of speakers before them ...
I'm not unhappy - but I bought these a decade ago, and figured I should consider reasonable speaker upgrades when I upgrade the receiver. (my old receiver is a 5.1, and my new house is wired for 7.2)
Old 06-15-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
To get 10 years or more out of your EP350 or any sub is commendable. The current wisdom is that 2 (or more) serve to subs even out the bass frequencies in most rooms that just 1 sub can't normally accomplish. My twin Velos bear this out as I have really good frequency coverage at our listening position.

It is probably best to have the same sub models in your room; however, 2 different models probably will work fine as well, certainly for a temporary setup. Since you last purchased speakers, there are now many more great subs in all price ranges in the market place so there is a ton of choice.

I have 2 Axiom EP400 subs for my tube amp driven 2 CH audio only system. They are superbly musical, although some find them pricey.

As for the L, C, R - if you are happy with the sound of your older speakers, the latest V4s benefit from several iterations of updating & refinements that you might like as well...

TAM

Last edited by ex-labdriver; 06-15-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd sell the VP150, upgrade to the current VP160 and M160 towers. Then you can either sell the M22s as well, or use them as height or wide speakers in a 9.1 setup.

Buy a second subwoofer to go with your 350. I'd look at HSU, SVS and RythmikAudio. It seams like Axiom subwoofers are about 2X as expensive as they should be. I don't see how they justify their asking price, all their other speakers seem much more reasonable.