Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JBL 3722n with Sherbourn 7/2100 Amp??

I've been looking at the idea of replacing my current Paradigm Studio 100 setup with 3 matching JBL 3722n speakers. Home Theater only. I've got a 106" diag AT screen and about 22 inches of space behind it. I currently drive all 7 channels in theater with a 7 channel Sherbourn 7/2100A amp (200 WPC). Would the Sherbourn drive the JBLs without issue, or do I need to change to a Pro-Amp?

Total Room size is 29X13X7, treated, including bass traps in front corners (behind screen wall).

Also--I've got about 97" of width on the screen...the JBLs look like they are 30" wide (so 90" total). Is a few inches between speakers enough, or do I need something less wide?

My preamp (Anthem D2) has built in Room Correction. It works wonders with the Paradigms. Would it work as well with the JBLs, or would additional EQ be required?

Ultimately, I'd like to swap the speakers, run EQ and be up and going. Is this possible?

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:

Last edited by barhoram; 06-13-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You will be more than fine with that amp. In fact, with the 104db sensitivity of the 3722ns, your ears will probably find their limits well before your amp and speakers will.
Your room correction will work similar magic with the JBLs.
Consider upgrading your surrounds to horn loaded compression drivers as well.

Last edited by Davecraze; 06-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post
You will be more than fine with that amp. In fact, with the 104db sensitivity of the 3722ns, your ears will probably find their limits well before your amp and speakers will.
Your room correction will work similar magic with the JBLs.
Consider upgrading your surrounds to horn loaded compression drivers as well.
Thanks. Am I OK with the width? They are pretty much going to take up the entire space behind the screen wall.

Also--any recommendation on the surrounds that may have a bit more cosmetic appeal--as the design of my theater has the surrounds exposed. I currently have a set of Paradigm Signature ADPs in Cherry, and they look fantastic with the wood trim in the room.

My Home Theater Project:
post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 403
That is really close, you can get away with it but spreading them out would be best. They barely fit behind my 137 inch screen with little separation. The Sherbourn works awesome with these speakers as I owned one as well with my 3622's and 3731's.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Thanks. Am I OK with the width? They are pretty much going to take up the entire space behind the screen wall.

Also--any recommendation on the surrounds that may have a bit more cosmetic appeal--as the design of my theater has the surrounds exposed. I currently have a set of Paradigm Signature ADPs in Cherry, and they look fantastic with the wood trim in the room.
There are no real high sensitivity surround choices with finishes anything like your ADPs in Cherry. They look great but they are 15(!)db less sensitive than your new LCRs.

If you want something high sensitivity with a decent finish, Jeff Permain can probably make you some JTR Slanted 8s in cherry.

Everyone is different, but I would just get the Klipsch Pro cinema surrounds and be done with it. They are black and blend into a dark room.

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-8001/details
http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-8-vb

People also love the JBL 8340a but the plastic enclosure is a little too industrial, even for me.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How would the 3677s compare to the 3722s? I can get them either at about the same price for 3. The 3677s look to be a few inches narrower...

My Home Theater Project:
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No one can really answer that without hearing them both in the same room. I've owned the 3677. It has a better woofer (only one hence the slightly lower sensitivity), the cd is very similar but doesn't extend as high which isn't really a bid deal or audible really, especially after running room eq. The 3722 has a large waveguide, yet the 3677 is very smooth too.

So really, who knows. It would seem the 3722 would have more midbass, but having owned the 3677, I'm not so sure, the 3677 freaking insane with midbass, and the dual woofers in the 3722 are to get the sensitivity up for larger stadiums. In our rooms neither speaker will be pushed.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Kinda surprised you can get them for the same price too, if you pay more than $600 for the 3677, you need to call full compass.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page