• 1 Post By charmerci

post #1 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
headache and dizzyness from speakers ?

Hi

I have the B&W cm 9 which i really love with he nad m3 amp and the van den hul cs 122 speaker cables i also have the nad m51 dac with a transparent usb cable. The thing is i really like the sound and everything but most of the time after listening to music for about 20-60 min later on the night i can get a headache and feel dizzy and feel nausea. i also tried the cm 5 and cm1 with the same result. i really really dont want to change my cm 9 cause i like the sound. Anyone else experecing the same symtoms or anyone have any tips to fix this problem ?

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This is not a problem with your stereo. See your doctor.
SocialCapital likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Were you playing Mirror's Edge at the time?
post #4 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Or Slim Whitman? " Aaak! Ak, ak, aak! "

Yes. I'd see a doctor. The sound could be playing with the fluid in your ears and causing those symptoms. Loud bass will cause this sometimes but it has to be VERY loud.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )

Last edited by jevans64; 06-18-2014 at 10:34 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
I fear it is likely the infamous audiophoolius inflictus which is unfortunately fatal. It is sometimes suggested that total abstinence may resolve the issue....but it is rare.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
If you do die, can I have your B&W?
post #7 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
SocialCapital,Lovinthehd,either you are 2 stupid kids or you have zero compassion,which is unfortunate. 2 of the most insensitive posts I've ever read! To the OP...Get your eyes checked,do you wear glasses or contacts? A lot of times if you get dizzy and headaches,your eyes are out of focus. You might need glasses. You could have fluid in your ears also,Get them both checked,not something to mess around with.. Good luck!

Last edited by Goat1; 06-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
^^^ Seems harsh but getting a check-up sounds like a good idea.

To the OP: How loudly do you listen and do you have a subwoofer? Does it happen if you turn the volume down? Do you have any ringing or high-pitched tones in your ears after listening?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First to ask is did you have the same system before without the effects. If so, then what has changed with either your system, or you since then.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM

The only other thing is if he listens too loud,those speakers can be a little bright. I almost bought them myself,but they had too metallic of a sound I didn't like..
post #11 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
SocialCapital,Lovinthehd,either you are 2 stupid kids or you have zero compassion,which is unfortunate. 2 of the most insensitive posts I've ever read! To the OP...Get your eyes checked,do you wear glasses or contacts? A lot of times if you get dizzy and headaches,your eyes are out of focus. You might need glasses. You could have fluid in your ears also,Get them both checked,not something to mess around with.. Good luck!
Puhleease. What part of this makes you take it seriously? The single post? The DAC? The amp? The interconnects? Trying three different models of the speaker lineup? Am I supposed to show compassion for stupidity?

post #12 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 02:02 PM

I didn't read the whole thing. Yes,it is pretty ridiculous.. But still,just ignore him.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Finally some normal answers. I dont use a sub and i play them on normal volume not to high. My previous system was the B&W 685 with the denon 710 amp i think it was called with the van den hul the clear water cables without any dac which i didnt have any problem with but that was also in my old apartment so i dont know how they would effect me on the new one cause the room is different. I also tried the Bose v35 i liked the sound but they gave me the symptoms faster. I have checked my eyes some time ago and i dont wear any glasses but i dont think this issue has anything to do with my eyesight. And yes if u dont have anything a normal person would say then its no point in commenting at all.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Normal people don't associate different speaker models or particular audio gear with the symptoms you describe nor come as an unknown user to a forum such as this seeking medical advice....

post #15 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Normal people don't associate different speaker models or particular audio gear with the symptoms you describe nor come as an unknown user to a forum such as this seeking medical advice....
You must be a very very special member, possibly with a medical degree. Or maybe you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It's rude to automatically assume something isn't so just because you haven't experienced it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I have heard people complaining about listening fatigue from a too strident tweeter, mostly related to horns. It's not a just to think it could be a more severe case. We all react differently.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
@OP: The cables don't matter. The new room may be emphasizing frequencies the old room did not, contributing to this issue. Try sitting off to one side, and closer/further away, to see if it still happens.

IME, and I am not an M.D., headaches can happen but I have not heard of nausea except as associated with loud bass tones. If you can a checkup still might be a good idea.

Perhaps the moderators can clean up all the personal insults hurled around...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #17 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Too much bass or too much treble could do it.

You could fiddle with the EQ or find a speaker that doesn't give you a headache.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe we can take another tack altogether. The problem is probably with the B&W brand of speakers, since he tried several different but similar flavors. To test this hypothesis thoroughly he should now find another brand to test, and probably several more models. Maybe just try headphones. It could be the interconnects, maybe even the DAC or amp, so try other brands/models of that too. Why would it be psychosomatic or even medical? It could be listening levels or the material he is listening to....but we don't know anything about that. Good grief.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page