Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Need help/advice on creating Home theater

hey guys im a newbie when it comes to home theater anyways I got a bose cinemate and im planning to upgrade to a better/best speakers because of many bad reviews I heard about it. I'm also planning to get a 4k 50" + hd tv this coming black Friday so I need an advice on which speaker brand, av receivers and subwoofer to buy. btw my living room is like. Btw my living room is 20 feet across and 25 feet wide and the height is I think 15 feet or so. guys any advance audiophile out there please help. My budget is around $1000 to $1,500 for 5.1 speaker, subwoofer and AV receiver. Also let me know if that budget is low for a high-mid end home theater sounds I might just save more up to 2k. Also I want to know how much difference does it make when it comes to 5.1 to a 7.1 system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGATURON View Post
hey guys im a newbie when it comes to home theater anyways I got a bose cinemate and im planning to upgrade to a better/best speakers because of many bad reviews I heard about it. I'm also planning to get a 4k 50" + hd tv this coming black Friday so I need an advice on which speaker brand, av receivers and subwoofer to buy. btw my living room is like. Btw my living room is 20 feet across and 25 feet wide and the height is I think 15 feet or so. guys any advance audiophile out there please help. My budget is around $1000 to $1,500 for 5.1 speaker, subwoofer and AV receiver. Also let me know if that budget is low for a high-mid end home theater sounds I might just save more up to 2k. Also I want to know how much difference does it make when it comes to 5.1 to a 7.1 system.
Prices on 4k probably will not come down on Black Friday. The tech is too new.
Speaker brand will depend more on you. Different folks like different brands. I like klipsch but others hate them. I would recommend heading to an av store and auditioning a few to get an idea of what you like.
post #3 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Everyone is going to have a different opinion. So this is just mine.

For home theater and rooms smaller than 30ft, I think 5.2 is as good as it gets. If you want your surrounds to have more ambient effects, just turn up the surround speaker channel level in your receiver.

For receiver, I would get the $400 (on sale) Denon X2000 from Amazon (or price match them).

For speakers, I would get the $86 (on sale) Infinity P163 speakers x 5 (all 5 identical speakers, the Center speaker can go on top or below the TV) = $430.

For subwoofers, I would get the $300 Infinity PS410 x 2 = $600.

Total 5.2 system (5 speakers, 2 subwoofers, 1 receiver) = $1,430 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ty%20primus%20

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X200...ds=denon+x2000

I think you could improve on the aesthetic and buy prettier speakers that most likely won't sound any better in this price range. It would increase your cost to $2,000.

Anyway, that's my POV.
post #4 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
Prices on 4k probably will not come down on Black Friday. The tech is too new.
Speaker brand will depend more on you. Different folks like different brands. I like klipsch but others hate them. I would recommend heading to an av store and auditioning a few to get an idea of what you like.

I wouldn't mind having klipsch, paradigm or infinity or polk. Im really new on this so I still dunno which is is good to have( as long as its sounds better than BOSE cinemate that I have, I don't mind about aesthetic looks) . I'm most likely to have that 4k tv hopefully so please just keep giving me advice on which speakers to get so I can check it and draw my final pick ty.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
Everyone is going to have a different opinion. So this is just mine.

For home theater and rooms smaller than 30ft, I think 5.2 is as good as it gets. If you want your surrounds to have more ambient effects, just turn up the surround speaker channel level in your receiver.

For receiver, I would get the $400 (on sale) Denon X2000 from Amazon (or price match them).

For speakers, I would get the $86 (on sale) Infinity P163 speakers x 5 (all 5 identical speakers, the Center speaker can go on top or below the TV) = $430.

For subwoofers, I would get the $300 Infinity PS410 x 2 = $600.

Total 5.2 system (5 speakers, 2 subwoofers, 1 receiver) = $1,430 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ty%20primus%20

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X200...ds=denon+x2000

I think you could improve on the aesthetic and buy prettier speakers that most likely won't sound any better in this price range. It would increase your cost to $2,000.

Anyway, that's my POV.

Thanks for ur advice. I got question though I heard that front speakers would have to be better in terms of quality than the rear ones and as for the center I can use same ones as the 2 front speakers? I will definitely get that denon most likely if nothing is better. BTW how much difference will it make if I got 2 subs instead of 1? That subs infinity ps410 looks good but will it beat BOSE cinemate series 1 in any ways? Id like to hear more opinions before placing an order. More opnions and advice are welcome as AcuDefTechGuy. ty in advance
post #6 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I think the Infinity P163 recommendation is a good one, they are great budget speakers and at the current price are a steal. The X2000 has everything you would need in a receiver, though if you are serious about 4k then I would look into a new HDMI 2.0 receiver.

Just as a note, everything being suggested is better than Bose, don't worry about that. I have not read much about those Infinity subs, they are probably decent, but in a space that big I would want some more horsepower down low. I would consider a pair of BIC PL-200 subs, you can get them for $280 from www.acousticsounddesign.com and if you buy two, you may even get a better deal. They will have higher output and better extension than the Infinity subs, and would be more suitable for such a big space.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #7 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Hi Megatron,

Sounds like your room is pretty big, twice the size of my listening room. You should get some great advice here at AVS....but don't get overwhelmed. Lots of options out there..

From my own experience, a $1500 budget for 5 speakers, a sub, and a AVR will leave you with plenty of choices.

I would love to give you some options but it would blow your budget.

Good luck my friend..
post #8 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I think the Infinity P163 recommendation is a good one, they are great budget speakers and at the current price are a steal. The X2000 has everything you would need in a receiver, though if you are serious about 4k then I would look into a new HDMI 2.0 receiver.

Just as a note, everything being suggested is better than Bose, don't worry about that. I have not read much about those Infinity subs, they are probably decent, but in a space that big I would want some more horsepower down low. I would consider a pair of BIC PL-200 subs, you can get them for $280 from www.acousticsounddesign.com and if you buy two, you may even get a better deal. They will have higher output and better extension than the Infinity subs, and would be more suitable for such a big space.
Thanks for the advice. Will the denon x2000 have the new hdmi connection for the 4k tv. Im glad those speakers will beat the bose cinemate as for aesthetic looks they look fine to me. I just hope that with these speakers meantioned wouldnt needed me to upgrade for another 3 years or more. For some reason i cant find that BIC pl-200 subs at the site you gave me is this the one though http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=3973&sc=28

More advice are welcome i just need more people with opinions before buying these. Thanks Transmaniacon.
post #9 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for ur advice. I got question though I heard that front speakers would have to be better in terms of quality than the rear ones and as for the center I can use same ones as the 2 front speakers? I will definitely get that denon most likely if nothing is better. BTW how much difference will it make if I got 2 subs instead of 1? That subs infinity ps410 looks good but will it beat BOSE cinemate series 1 in any ways? Id like to hear more opinions before placing an order. More opnions and advice are welcome as AcuDefTechGuy. ty in advance
5 identical speakers all around is really the ideal setup. I am going with five identical RBH SX-T2N/R Reference towers all around myself. Before this, I had five identical KEF Reference 201/2 bookshelf.

Again, using identical speaker for the Center is IDEAL - PERFECT.

2 Subs (dual) is also ideal. It will smooth the bass response and not only give you better quality, but also quantity.

As far as Bose, even a cheap $100 Dayton sub will be better than any Bose so-called "subwoofer".

The $200 Infinity PS38 sub is better than a Bose "subwoofer". So yeah, the $300 Infinity sub is much better than the Bose.
post #10 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
Hi Megatron,

Sounds like your room is pretty big, twice the size of my listening room. You should get some great advice here at AVS....but don't get overwhelmed. Lots of options out there..

From my own experience, a $1500 budget for 5 speakers, a sub, and a AVR will leave you with plenty of choices.

I would love to give you some options but it would blow your budget.

Good luck my friend..

Thanks oh its my living room btw. Yes im glad i stumble upon this great forum a lot of really hopeful people With great knowledge. Anyways id like to hear your advice as long as it wont beat my budget. Thanks
post #11 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Will the denon x2000 have the new hdmi connection for the 4k tv. Im glad those speakers will beat the bose cinemate as for aesthetic looks they look fine to me. I just hope that with these speakers meantioned wouldnt needed me to upgrade for another 3 years or more. For some reason i cant find that BIC pl-200 subs at the site you gave me is this the one though http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=3973&sc=28

More advice are welcome i just need more people with opinions before buying these. Thanks Transmaniacon.
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1555&sc=28

Use the "Make Your Best Offer" feature and generally they accept $280.

Living Room

Computer
post #12 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, if you don't mind a different brand subwoofer (which is perfectly okay), a $200 BIC 12" sub or $278 BIC 12" sub should be 100% better than the Bose bass.
post #13 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
5 identical speakers all around is really the ideal setup. I am going with five identical RBH SX-T2N/R Reference towers all around myself. Before this, I had five identical KEF Reference 201/2 bookshelf.

Again, using identical speaker for the Center is IDEAL - PERFECT.

2 Subs (dual) is also ideal. It will smooth the bass response and not only give you better quality, but also quantity.

As far as Bose, even a cheap $100 Dayton sub will be better than any Bose so-called "subwoofer".

The $200 Infinity PS38 sub is better than a Bose "subwoofer". So yeah, the $300 Infinity sub is much better than the Bose.

I see i will definitely take note on your advice. Anyways uniformity might look more presentable in my living room. On the center speaker though can i turn it sideways or do i have to make it stand like my both front speakers. No wonder why bose got bad reviews coz even a cheap $100 subs can beat theirs. Im really gonna sell my BOSE cinemate. More advice please thanks again.
post #14 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

NHT is another great option IMO. The NHT SuperZero is on sale for $90 each x 5 = $450 delivered.

I used to own these for 10 years. My little brother has them now. Mate them with dual subs, and you got yourself a fine system.

So either the NHT ($90 SuperZero), Infinity ($86 P163), or Pioneer bookshelf speakers would be a huge improvement over the Bose.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
NHT is another great option IMO. The NHT SuperZero is on sale for $90 each x 5 = $450 delivered.

I used to own these for 10 years. My little brother has them now. Mate them with dual subs, and you got yourself a fine system.

So either the NHT ($90 SuperZero), Infinity ($86 P163), or Pioneer bookshelf speakers would be a huge improvement over the Bose.
Those are fantastic speakers, but if you are sitting more than 10' away, then I think you will be asking a little much of them. They work very well as surrounds, or in a smaller spaces, but in a 20x25 room I think you need more output.

One note about the BIC PL-200, it has a very nice piano black top, and looks nicer than the black ash most budget subs come in.

Living Room

Computer
post #16 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see i will definitely take note on your advice. Anyways uniformity might look more presentable in my living room. On the center speaker though can i turn it sideways or do i have to make it stand like my both front speakers. No wonder why bose got bad reviews coz even a cheap $100 subs can beat theirs. Im really gonna sell my BOSE cinemate. More advice please thanks again.
I always place my center speaker vertically either atop the TV or below.

Bose is like "The Matrix". They probably have 80% of the world's population brainwashed. I don't know how they did it. But they did it.

Even the freaking NFL endorses Bose as "official sound of the NFL".
post #17 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I wouldn't mind having klipsch, paradigm or infinity or polk. Im really new on this so I still dunno which is is good to have( as long as its sounds better than BOSE cinemate that I have, I don't mind about aesthetic looks) . I'm most likely to have that 4k tv hopefully so please just keep giving me advice on which speakers to get so I can check it and draw my final pick ty.
I'm sure, I'm just letting you know there probably won't be much reason to wait. Maybe save a couple hundred if anything.
post #18 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I always place my center speaker vertically either atop the TV or below.

Bose is like "The Matrix". They probably have 80% of the world's population brainwashed. I don't know how they did it. But they did it.

Even the freaking NFL endorses Bose as "official sound of the NFL".
I really hate when people come over and tell me my speakers "look nice, but you should have gotten Bose..."

I just think it's the most recognizable audio brand and people see the high price tag and assume that is synonymous with quality. The same deal with Beats, build some average headphones, charge three times their worth, and attach it to a well known figure. Ignorance is bliss I suppose...

Living Room

Computer
post #19 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those are fantastic speakers, but if you are sitting more than 10' away, then I think you will be asking a little much of them. They work very well as surrounds, or in a smaller spaces, but in a 20x25 room I think you need more output.

One note about the BIC PL-200, it has a very nice piano black top, and looks nicer than the black ash most budget subs come in.
Yeah, it depends on how far you sit regardless of the room size. If you sit 10-12' away from the speakers, the NHT SuperZero would do just fine even if the room is 50' x 50'.
post #20 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
I'm sure, I'm just letting you know there probably won't be much reason to wait. Maybe save a couple hundred if anything.
I have until november to save. But will the price for these speaker change until or after black friday sale on amazon or acousticdesigns. Im hearing alot of good choices so far. Thanks.
post #21 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I really hate when people come over and tell me my speakers "look nice, but you should have gotten Bose..."

I just think it's the most recognizable audio brand and people see the high price tag and assume that is synonymous with quality. The same deal with Beats, build some average headphones, charge three times their worth, and attach it to a well known figure. Ignorance is bliss I suppose...
Hahaha i agree with you i used to love bose systems coz alot of commercial places eg grocery, mall, gym etc have them as theyre default speakers and the sounds they emit. until my eyes are opened are i should say ears
post #22 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
I might just save more up to 2k. Also I want to know how much difference does it make when it comes to 5.1 to a 7.1 system.
5.1 for $2000 > can you start buying some of this now - if you are interested?

I would look at 3 pair of the PSB Image B5 - use 1 as a vertical center, and keep 1
as a spare or sell it.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/PSB-Imag.../#.U6MDk-a94pQ

SVS Subwoofer
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/po...0#.U6ME_ua94pQ

The Denon X2000 is usable for 4K and 3D

The Infinity is still a nice option for you.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #23 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
5.1 for $2000 > can you start buying some of this now - if you are interested?

I would look at 3 pair of the PSB Image B5 - use 1 as a vertical center, and keep 1
as a spare or sell it.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/PSB-Imag.../#.U6MDk-a94pQ

SVS Subwoofer
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/po...0#.U6ME_ua94pQ

The Denon X2000 is usable for 4K and 3D

The Infinity is still a nice option for you.

Hmmm how much difference in terms of scale in overall performance does infiity p163 and the psb image 5 have. And for pb-2000, how much difference in sound quality compare to 2 bic pl 200? I would go $2000 tops for my speakers but wont go beyond anyways thanks for comment.
post #24 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm how much difference in terms of scale in overall performance does infiity p163 and the psb image 5 have. And for pb-2000, how much difference in sound quality compare to 2 bic pl 200? I would go $2000 tops for my speakers but wont go beyond anyways thanks for comment.
It's always a touchy question to answer. You may or may not find any improvements at all.

Diminishing returns is the key. The real life improvement between $1K and $2K may not be like night-and-day improvement. However, the aesthetics may be night-and-day improvement.

I can just speak from my 1 experience. I auditioned the $2K PSB Imagine 2 towers back when had the $300 Infinity P363 towers. I could not say I heard any improvement on the more expensive PSB. On paper, the Infinity speakers measure very accurately (flat on-axis, smooth off-axis). So I don't think the PSB have any advantage here.

For subs, the SVS would most likely have more bass output and lower distortion on paper. But in terms of real life actual audible improvement, only you could determine that. But I think 2 subs are better than one.

You certainly cannot go wrong with PSB + SVS. It certainly has better aesthetic and pride of ownership. PSB and SVS certainly have significantly more "high-end" status. But whether they sound significantly better to you than the Infinity + BIC or if they are worth your money, only you can determine.

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 06-19-2014 at 09:32 AM.
post #25 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As far as PSB Image and Infinity Primus sound signature/character, it will still be subjective to the individual -
however for me, the PSB is more cohesive sounding and the Infinity is more thin sounding.

That is a good deal on the PSB for close-out pricing

The SVS sub, is in another league over the budget friendly Bic subwoofers.

Compared to your Bose system - the Infinity/Bic is still a strong option

post #26 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Thanks oh its my living room btw. Yes im glad i stumble upon this great forum a lot of really hopeful people With great knowledge. Anyways id like to hear your advice as long as it wont beat my budget. Thanks

Yes, the AVS people here are very cool and knowledgeable. In my opinion it's the best AV forum on the net...

I have a common affliction known as upgraditis....so beware,...it's a VERY addictive hobby!

My advice is to make sure your room is acoustically friendly first. But since you say this is your living room, bass traps and wall treatments may be out of the question.

In my experience speakers should be high on the priority list. Do you have any pics of the room?

B
post #27 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My response to those people would be, "Obviously you are not an audiophile!"
post #28 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My response to those people would be, "Obviously you are not an audiophile!"
Once I demo something for them their opinion generally changes

Living Room

Computer
post #29 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's always a touchy question to answer. You may or may not find any improvements at all.

Diminishing returns is the key. The real life improvement between $1K and $2K may not be like night-and-day improvement. However, the aesthetics may be night-and-day improvement.

I can just speak from my 1 experience. I auditioned the $2K PSB Imagine 2 towers back when had the $300 Infinity P363 towers. I could not say I heard any improvement on the more expensive PSB. On paper, the Infinity speakers measure very accurately (flat on-axis, smooth off-axis). So I don't think the PSB have any advantage here.

For subs, the SVS would most likely have more bass output and lower distortion on paper. But in terms of real life actual audible improvement, only you could determine that. But I think 2 subs are better than one.

You certainly cannot go wrong with PSB + SVS. It certainly has better aesthetic and pride of ownership. PSB and SVS certainly have significantly more "high-end" status. But whether they sound significantly better to you than the Infinity + BIC or if they are worth your money, only you can determine.

I see well aesthetically i dont really dont mind about it but does the infinity p163 got a front cover on it or its just really like that. I wonder if theyll broke easily due to dust without the front screen covers. Psb seems more simple in style but it certainly might not overrun p163 that much like you said. also its kinda too pricey for me. I might just stick to p163 although that psb is a pretty good call just wasnt too affordble for me. For the subs the svs sounds really good but when i checked amazon its still on regular price without any discount. And only couple of people wrote a good comment about it whereas bic pl200 got 130+ plus reviews and most of them were good. Could it be the affordability? I would maybe get the svs if theres some sort of discount to it. But i wouldnt know if they were to go down the price this black friday sale on amazon.
post #30 of 38 Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For the subs the svs sounds really good but when i checked amazon its still on regular price without any discount. And only couple of people wrote a good comment about it whereas bic pl200 got 130+ plus reviews and most of them were good. Could it be the affordability? I would maybe get the svs if theres some sort of discount to it. But i wouldnt know if they were to go down the price this black friday sale on amazon.
A lot of things can happen between now and black Friday - you might even look
at other different options. However, you can search and gather some info now.

SVS is an ID subwoofer/speaker company - that puts a lot of work into making subs.
Where you choose to get your reviews is up to you - a lot of us do not rely on places
like Amazon, for a main source of info/reviews
Here are 6 pages of sources where SVS subs have been reviewed
http://www.svsound.com/press-reviews

They also make a more affordable sub - and have outlet specials
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/po...0#.U6OQUrGHKew

http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials

Last edited by zieglj01; 06-19-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page