Help choosing center channel with limited height and depth? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Help choosing center channel with limited height and depth?

I'm trying to put together a 5.1 setup in my living room with the tv mounted above a fireplace with two sets of built in bookshelves on either side. The room is very open with +30 ft to a wall behind the couch, which is centered on the fireplace, and a slanted ceiling that ranges from ~9 ft to ~15 ft.

My original plan was to go with a Denon AVR-X2100W and the Polk RTi series along with a Polk sub. I purchased a pair of in-ceiling Polk 70-RT's which I've installed as surrounds in the only positions really possible and a Polk DSW PRO 660wi sub, which I got for a good price. I was all set to purchase a pair of Polk RTi A7's for front speakers and a Polk CSi A6 as the center channel when I ran into two issues... First my wife nixed the floor standing speakers and I've been forced to find speakers to fit on the bookshelves (only 12" deep), which led me to purchase a pair of Polk RTi A1's. Second, to mount the center channel below my tv and on the mantle (the only place the wife approves of) I can only use a speaker approx. 4" tall and 4" deep.

So, I have 4 speakers timbre matched to the RTi series, but I can't get a timbre matched center from that series that fits my space constraints. I'm considering the Polk Blackstone TL3 and the Definitive Technology Mythos Seven.

Any suggestions on a slim, short center channel for my setup? I've had to scale back my home theater plans significantly and at this point I'm just trying to complete the 5.1 set as best I can within my size constraints.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The MartinLogan Motion6 is about 3.8" deep, and the Motion8 is 5.6" deep. They sound phemomenal with that folded motion tweeter, IMO. Very crisp and intelligible audio.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy View Post
The MartinLogan Motion6 is about 3.8" deep, and the Motion8 is 5.6" deep. They sound phemomenal with that folded motion tweeter, IMO. Very crisp and intelligible audio.
MartinLogan Motion6 look like a good choice, how do you think they'd compare to the cheaper Blackstone TL3?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtK9 View Post
MartinLogan Motion6 look like a good choice, how do you think they'd compare to the cheaper Blackstone TL3?

Not sure, I've not listened tot he Blackstone.

Best Buy Magnolia typically has the Motion6 or 8 hooked up for demo. Check it out and see for yourself. I was blown away by its performance at that price point and size.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy View Post
The Motion 6 is 5.25" high, which is larger than the 4 inches he called out for his limit.