1Likes
  • 1 Post By fatbottom

post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
How to strip the LFE audio signal out of an HDMI signal?

EDIT: This thread belongs in the receiver forum - whoops. I can't seem to move it, however.

So here is my challenge:

I've purchased the new Sony HDR-HW700DS wireless surround headset (two of them - so my gf I can watch films together). This thing sounds insanely good and the surround is scary accurate (which brings up another point - why can't Sony figure out how to promote their own products - but that's a different post).

It even does a good job with the low frequency effects, given its 50mm driver. But I'd like more - specifically I'd like to install bass shakers to my sofa.

But how to get the signal to them?

The Sony headphones work as follows:

HDMI signal from video source device is sent to the sony's HDMI switcher box that comes with the headset. Audio is then sent wirelessly to the headset, and video is passed on to the output device (projector). Another option is sending the source device HDMI signal first to a receiver, and then sending audio only to the headphones (via HDMI or optical) via the Sony switcher box.

Are there receivers that can output both the LFE channel to a subwoofer or bass transducer AND send the rest of the audio signal via optical or HDMI on to another device?

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum

Last edited by chrisreeves; 06-21-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Are there receivers that can output both the LFE channel to a subwoofer or bass transducer AND send the rest of the audio signal via optical or HDMI on to another device?
This is exactly what a receiver does. Do you have one already? If so, just connect your source device to the receiver and then to the switcher box. You then need to connect the bass shakers to the LFE output of the receiver. The receiver will handle all the signal handoffs needed.

I don't recall which forum has threads on bass shakers, but a quick search will turn up a few I'm sure.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide

Lots of reading, but also lots of info about Butt-kickers.
If the Op meant to remove all calibrations made by the receiver before it goes to Butt-kicker.

I don't think there is way around it.
If there is a way, I would sure like to Know!

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 06-21-2014 at 06:21 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks Blip,

Perhaps my question was a stupid one! My receiver is a Sony ES series with digital Class D amps from the early 2000's. It's high output and 7.1, so I've never bothered to upgrade it even though it does not do HDMI switching or have pre-amp outputs.

So, that's why I asked the question. I thought perhaps modern receivers could pass along EITHER the entire HDMI audio signal OR decode it and output directly to speakers but not both.

Guess it's finally time to upgrade to a modern receiver.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Thanks Blip,

Perhaps my question was a stupid one! My receiver is a Sony ES series with digital Class D amps from the early 2000's. It's high output and 7.1, so I've never bothered to upgrade it even though it does not do HDMI switching or have pre-amp outputs.

So, that's why I asked the question. I thought perhaps modern receivers could pass along EITHER the entire HDMI audio signal OR decode it and output directly to speakers but not both.

Guess it's finally time to upgrade to a modern receiver.
If you're using this as an excuse to upgrade your receiver, I'll get out of the way.
Does your Sony have HDMI inputs? If not, you still might be able to run the audio signal from the source to your receiver, probably through a digital signal, and then out to the shakers.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I would research any receiver VERY carefully before you buy. I don't know a lot about it, but my understanding is that the HDMI out on some AVRs only outputs 2 channel audio because it's meant for a TV. Sort of defeats the whole idea of the surround features of those headphones if you aren't getting multichannel to the transmitter. And you don't probably want to use optical from your receiver to your headphone transmitters because it will be lossy with blu-ray.

Have you explored using the optical output on the headphone transmitter with an optical DAC? If it can output 2 channel stereo to a DAC, you could find a subwoofer amp that excepts left and right inputs and use it with the buttkickers. The downside is that you'd have to control the volume for the buttkickers with the sub amp.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
How about using the .1 output from your source (say Oppo BD Player) into your butt kicker amp? Volume won't scale relative to your phones but you could set it so at your typical listening level, the buttkicker is at the right level
darthray likes this.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
How about using the .1 output from your source (say Oppo BD Player) into your butt kicker amp? Volume won't scale relative to your phones but you could set it so at your typical listening level, the buttkicker is at the right level
It is a good idea!
I do use a Velodyne SMS-1 for volume contol before the signal goes to two Outlaw mono amp.

I will let the idea simmer since it require me to run another cable and it would need to be an RCA since my Oppo 103 doesn't have XLR (around 50ft).

The way it set at moment one XLR cable to sub 1 from the Maranzt AV8801,
Another XLR to sub 2, then another XLR from sub 2 to the Velodyne SMS-1.

So Thanks for thinking outside the box

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread