21Likes

post #1 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Request for Suggestions on Best 5.1 and 7.1 sorround systems

Hi -
Moving into a new home soon and require suggestions on the best 5.1 & 7.1 surround speakers. Budget between $1000-$2000 for each, if something gives me the best experience for couple hundreds more, I might go that route.

I currently live in an apartment and I do have the below equipment:
1. Denon 2312CI 7.1 Receiver
2. 2 JBL Studio 190 Floorstanding Speakers
3. 2 JBL Studio 130 Book Shelves
4. 1 JBL Studio 120C Center channel
5. 1 JBL Studio 1 SUB150P Subwoofer

I require 2 systems:
1 for my Living room (Room Size: 20x16), require a 5.1 surround here (NO bulky speakers please)
1 for my Media room (Room Size: 21x12), require a 7.1 surround here

Here is what i thought, but not sure if my decisions gives me the best surround quality sound:

1. Planned to buy Bose® Acoustimass 10 ($1200 worth) from Costco and use it for my media room 5.1 surround. Link below:
http://www.costco.com/Bose%C2%AE-Aco...100085206.html

2. Planned to buy 2 more JBL 120 Bookshelves and planned to use my existing Denon & JBL speakers in the media room;
not sure, if i am thinking correctly to get the best quality sound? Also, I am not sure if there is a way to get the bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall.

Please suggest. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Thanks

Denon 2312CI 7.1 Receiver
LG 47LE8500 LED TV

Last edited by kesava.chunduri; 06-22-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Take the bose out. They aren't worth what they charge for them. I would personally focus on 5.1 at first. This will get you the most bang for your buck to start.
post #3 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
Take the bose out. They aren't worth what they charge for them. I would personally focus on 5.1 at first. This will get you the most bang for your buck to start.
Thanks Nick; Any suggestions on the 5.1?

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #4 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Where are you going to be spending most of your time and doing most of your critical movie watching/listening?

Also, are you keeping your current equipment? You could buy a cheaper receiver for the JBL gear for the room that you spend less time in, then focus the bulk of your budget on your primary room.

If you have $2500-3500 budget for the primary room you can do a lot more with it A good subwoofer is going to be almost $700-1200 of your budget alone.
post #5 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesava.chunduri View Post
Thanks Nick; Any suggestions on the 5.1?
Could you just keep your current equipment or are you looking to upgrade? If you sold your old equipment that might give you some extra room on your budget.
I'll let better folks than me give you suggestions.
post #6 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Where are you going to be spending most of your time and doing most of your critical movie watching/listening?

Also, are you keeping your current equipment? You could buy a cheaper receiver for the JBL gear for the room that you spend less time in, then focus the bulk of your budget on your primary room.

If you have $2500-3500 budget for the primary room you can do a lot more with it A good subwoofer is going to be almost $700-1200 of your budget alone.
Spending most of the time would definitely be the Family room; I thought that i can keep the existing equipment in my Media room by adding 2 additional JBL Studio 130 book shelves to make it 7.1 surround. Any thoughts, if that would make it a good surround? Till date, i definitely like (didn't mean LOVE ) my current system. What are your opinions on my current system? Do you think, it is good (or) is it crap? I would like to hear from you guys on this. If my current system is crap, i would definitely try to dump it.

Might be I can try to extend a bit more, if i can get something exceptional in quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
Could you just keep your current equipment or are you looking to upgrade? If you sold your old equipment that might give you some extra room on your budget.
I'll let better folks than me give you suggestions.
Not sure, how much i can get for my current system. I might keep it in the Media room, if i need to extend out a lot to upgrade the current system. But i am not sure about the costs, better options, etc. Any clues on how much i will be able to sell my current system (some rough estimates)?

Last edited by kesava.chunduri; 06-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.
post #7 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Request for suggestions please!!! Anyone here to help?

Thanks in advance.

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #8 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Request for suggestions please!!! Anyone here to help?

Thanks in advance.
Here's a good plan:

I'd focus on one room with a budget of $4000. For the second room, which may get far less viewing time, just go with something cheap....like a sound bar for $500. It would be foolish to spend an equal amount on both systems. Going from a $2k budget to a 4k budget will result in a HUGE upgrade in sound quality, and allow you to get a very potent, high fidelity subwoofer.

Like stated earlier, a high performance subwoofer will cost you around $1k alone....so I would consider my advice. I have no experience with Bose or the JBL speakers you currently have.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
B
darthray likes this.

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-23-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
Here's a good plan:

I'd focus on one room with a budget of $4000. For the second room, which may get far less viewing time, just go with a something cheap....like a sound bar for $500. It would be foolish to spend an equal amount on both systems. Going from a $2k budget to a 4k budget will result in a HUGE upgrade in sound quality, and allow you to get a very potent, high fidelity subwoofer.

Like stated earlier, a high performance subwoofer will cost you around $1k alone....so I would consider my advice. I have no experience with Bose or the JBL speakers you currently have.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
B
Thanks for the response.

$4000 seems to be too high for setting up 1 room; any other options to get it down in the budget?
Also, can you please provide me the brands that you were referring to and any links/websites on where to purchase the system that you're talking about?

I would like to explore more on this and come up with the possible options based on your suggestions.

Thanks

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #10 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

$4000 seems to be too high for setting up 1 room; any other options to get it down in the budget?
Also, can you please provide me the brands that you were referring to and any links/websites on where to purchase the system that you're talking about?

I would like to explore more on this and come up with the possible options based on your suggestions.

Thanks

Your welcome!

I will provide you with some viable options after work today. $4000 is not at all overkill for one room....especially if your looking for a kick ass system. My speaker set cost $12k alone, so this hobby can become very addicting, and super expensive. My system also took 7 years to come to fruition...( I could never afford all this at once, so I chose to build over time.)
It's really up to you, what is your goal? Can you sacrifice a little on one system and spend the bulk on the main one? ( Quality vs Quantity always wins. )
-Your Denon AVR is just fine, but the JBL's should be sold.

I'll get back to you with more details if you go the route I suggested...talk to ya soon!

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-23-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: more info
post #11 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

OMG!!! $12k? Pretty much close to buying a new economy car No, I wouldn't go that far-off; I agree that you can make it the best for that price, but i dont think, i can afford that budget for a surround system.

Any suggestions in my price range? Thanks for your inputs.

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #12 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
OMG!!! $12k? Pretty much close to buying a new economy car No, I wouldn't go that far-off; I agree that you can make it the best for that price, but i dont think, i can afford that budget for a surround system.

Any suggestions in my price range? Thanks for your inputs.

I understand,....I'll spec you out a system in the $3-4k range,......that will honestly sound 98% as good as mine (I'm just a hardcore audiophile, like most of us here at AVS )
kesava.chunduri likes this.

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-23-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: notes
post #13 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I understand,....I'll spec you out a system in the $3-4k range,......that will honestly sound 98% as good as mine (I'm just a hardcore audiophile )
Oh! vow!!! That is great. Appreciate it.

I got that you're a hardcore audiophile, based on the amount you invested on the system

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #14 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What would 90% cost?
post #15 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Oh! vow!!! That is great. Appreciate it.

I got that you're a hardcore audiophile, based on the amount you invested on the system

Check out svsound.com for SVS's homepage. Just to give you an example would be:

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Surround Package: $ 2700
SVS PB-2000: $ 800

Total: $ 3,500

...and you can always add another pb-2000 down the line if you desire...but there are a million choices, the one above is just my suggestion.

B
kesava.chunduri likes this.
post #16 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
What would 90% cost?
Around $3150 I'd guess....
JeffAV likes this.
post #17 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Check out svsound.com for SVS's homepage. Just to give you an example would be:

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Surround Package: $ 2700
SVS PB-2000: $ 800

Total: $ 3,500

...and you can always add another pb-2000 down the line if you desire...but there are a million choices, the one above is just my suggestion.

B
Oooooooooooohhhhh!!! These seems to be good for Media room, as these seem to be bulky. Do you know of any that are not so bulky (but produce great quality sound) for the family room, so that the appearance looks little better in the family room for my new home?

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #18 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Oooooooooooohhhhh!!! These seems to be good for Media room, as these seem to be bulky. Do you know of any that are not so bulky (but produce great quality sound) for the family room, so that the appearance looks little better in the family room for my new home?

For the family room, which we can name the " secondary system ", with the lowest budget, I'd check out Polk Audio....they make some good speakers at a very fair price. I think they come in a few different colors....cherry,black, and possibly more. You can go with the Cherry, which should be visually appealing as well as affordable. let me know, there are many options...

The polk Tsi-400 looks not too bulky...nice wood..

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-23-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: none
post #19 of 86 Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For the family room, which we can name the " secondary system ", with the lowest budget, I'd check out Polk Audio....they make some good speakers at a very fair price. I think they come in a few different colors....cherry,black, and possibly more. You can go with the Cherry, which should be visually appealing as well as affordable. let me know, there are many options...

The polk Tsi-400 looks not too bulky...nice wood..
I was just trying to avoid the Floor Standing speakers (to make the family room stuff non-bulky) and want to go with satellite speakers only (wall mounted).

Any insight of:

1. Energy Take 5.1 Classic: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic.../dp/B001202C44
2. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec.../dp/B000TDENA6
3. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec.../dp/B001JQZXCO
4. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 1000: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec.../dp/B009LL8GUU
5. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 2000: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kcquprI...nema-2000.html

LG 47LE8500 LED TV

Last edited by kesava.chunduri; 06-23-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #20 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I was just trying to avoid the Floor Standing speakers (to make the family room stuff non-bulky) and want to go with satellite speakers only (wall mounted).

Any insight of:

1. Energy Take 5.1 Classic: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic.../dp/B001202C44
2. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec.../dp/B000TDENA6
3. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec.../dp/B001JQZXCO
4. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 1000: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec.../dp/B009LL8GUU
5. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 2000: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kcquprI...nema-2000.html

I have never heard those in person...and would never buy them. What do you mean when you refer to speakers as " bulky" ? You must be comparing my options to Bose....which is an incredible waste of money in my opinion. So I cannot help you with advice to the family room, all I can say is spend the least money possible.

As for the media room which is the focal point.....go with my suggestions earlier ( SVS ) and you will be more than satisfied. In fact, you most likely will be blown away!

You just have to take that leap of faith....the budget is there so go for it brotha!!)

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-24-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: error
post #21 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have never heard those in person...and would never buy them. What do you mean when you refer to speakers as " bulky" ? You must be comparing my options to Bose....which is an incredible waste of money in my opinion. So I cannot help you with advice to the family room, all I can say is spend the least money possible.

As for the media room which is the focal point.....go with my suggestions earlier ( SVS ) and you will be more than satisfied. In fact, you most likely will be blow away!

You just have to take that leap of faith....the budget is there so go for it brotha!!)
Thanks a lot for the help!!! I will go with what you recommended for the Media Room.

By Bulky, i mean I don't want someone to feel that my family room looks like a theater with huge speakers on the walls. So, i need Satellite speakers (very small in size) only in the room. I don't mean to compare it with Bose, but i am fine with the size of those Energy Take or Definitive Technology speakers specified above.

Looked at the reviews on a lot of websites and Energy Take & these Definitive Technology are top 10 on their lists. Might be, i might go with Energy Take Classic 5.1, as it cost just about $350 and the reviews have been overwhelming. At least that solves my Family room configuration with far less budget that I have, leaving me more room to go with SVS that you recommended for my media room.

Not sure if anyone has any other thoughts to configure my Family room. I was expecting overwhelming responses from several people in this forum, but looks like it is very limited.
Deckard97 likes this.

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #22 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the help!!! I will go with what you recommended for the Media Room.

By Bulky, i mean I don't want someone to feel that my family room looks like a theater with huge speakers on the walls. So, i need Satellite speakers (very small in size) only in the room. I don't mean to compare it with Bose, but i am fine with the size of those Energy Take or Definitive Technology speakers specified above.

Looked at the reviews on a lot of websites and Energy Take & these Definitive Technology are top 10 on their lists. Might be, i might go with Energy Take Classic 5.1, as it cost just about $350 and the reviews have been overwhelming. At least that solves my Family room configuration with far less budget that I have, leaving me more room to go with SVS that you recommended for my media room.

Not sure if anyone has any other thoughts to configure my Family room. I was expecting overwhelming responses from several people in this forum, but looks like it is very limited.

It was my pleasure to offer you some advice! And am very happy to hear that you are considering my suggestions ( on the SVS gear ) !

Give it some time and I'm sure other AVS members will offer more options for the family room.

talk to ya soon!

Bri
post #23 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html

Check out these from HSU. I'm not sure if these speakers would be too big for what you're looking for. You could add another VTF3 MK4 sub and have a nice sounding system. I'm not sure if it would trump the other suggestions, but it's within your budget.
post #24 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html

Check out these from HSU. I'm not sure if these speakers would be too big for what you're looking for. You could add another VTF3 MK4 sub and have a nice sounding system. I'm not sure if it would trump the other suggestions, but it's within your budget.
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, these are big for the living room.
Does this HSU system is comparable to SVS? If yes, how good/bad is this? Any clues?

LG 47LE8500 LED TV
post #25 of 86 Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, these are big for the living room.
Does this HSU system is comparable to SVS? If yes, how good/bad is this? Any clues?

HSU is another Internet Direct company, the same as SVS. I have no experience with HSU speaker wise, but their subs rock. The subs from HSU and SVS are of pretty much equal caliber...both excellent choices.

Personally, I'd go with SVS all the way, but that's me. It's totally up to you my friend!
post #26 of 86 Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
HSU is another Internet Direct company, the same as SVS. I have no experience with HSU speaker wise, but their subs rock. The subs from HSU and SVS are of pretty much equal caliber...both excellent choices.

Personally, I'd go with SVS all the way, but that's me. It's totally up to you my friend!
That's great to hear, thanks.
post #27 of 86 Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Bose speakers sound awesome for their size. I've been using them for 12 years. The direct/reflect design works great for movie surround.

Don't buy speakers without listening to them first.

For some reason, Bose gets a bad rap on these forums. Much of it comes from people who evaluate equipment by reading rather than listening.
post #28 of 86 Old 06-26-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbibb View Post
Bose speakers sound awesome for their size. I've been using them for 12 years. The direct/reflect design works great for movie surround.

For some reason, Bose gets a bad rap on these forums. Much of it comes from people who evaluate equipment by reading rather than listening.
For good reason. I've heard Bose system.....awful.

I can build a better sounding, higher quality, upgradable, nicer looking with premium cabinet merials for about 1/4 the price of a Bose active system.

The Bose mid range woofer is about same quality as a really cheap PC system. The Bose Jewel are plasticky, 50p paper driver, and utterly terrible sound quality. They are a upgrade over a flat panel sound system, but that isn't saying much.

There is a gap between sat and mid range woofer, and the woofer doesn't go low either, just lots of distortion. The soundstage is a mess.

I'd pay about £200 maximum for the Bose Lifestyle system.

If you want speakers the same size, there are plenty that exceed the sound of the Bose, and are still cheaper.
Deckard97 and kpotier16 like this.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #29 of 86 Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 AM

wrong advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbibb View Post

I've been listening to HiFi gear for the past 20 years, and have heard hundreds of speakers....including Bose, and they are pure JUNK.

Please don't confuse my friend here, who is trying to obtain some directionality on his pursuit of a kick ass system. I gave him viable advice which I hope he uses...I'm sure most members here at AVS would agree with me,..at least the experienced guys.

Enjoy the Bose lifestyle..

Furthermore, Speakers are the most important piece of gear, so let's do a comparison between Bose and real speakers.

There are 3 main components of a loudspeaker:

1. The drivers
2. The crossover
3. The cabinet

Bose uses tiny drivers - Grade F
Bose uses microscopic crossovers - Grade F
Bose speakers have a cabinet smaller than a can of soda. Grade F
kpotier16 likes this.

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-26-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added
post #30 of 86 Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
See what I mean? These guys get pretty emotional. Sometimes its fun to throw the Bose word out on the road and watch the vultures attack.

Do they expect me to stop liking my surround sound because of their tirade?

Each person has their own taste in sound. That's why there are so many speaker manufacturers.

What makes more sense to you, a guy that says "trust your ears", or a guy that says "trust me and by these off the internet without listening to them"?

I'm just trying to do you a favor.
Reply Speakers

Tags
5.1 , 7.1 sound system

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page