1Likes
  • 1 Post By cel4145

post #1 of 13 Old 06-22-2014, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Polk RTI12 vs Energy RC70

Both speakers are occasionally on sale at Fry's for $600 a pair. I am not in a rush to purchase and can wait for the next sale. My biggest concern is I want to get the best acoustic quality between the two. I know everyone will ask use, room, etc. So I will get that out of the way. 80% home theater and 20% music. Living room is 20 x 14. I will use a sub. I have a cheap one and will be upgrading that as well later. Plan to purchase matching center and surrounds as well for 5.1. I know there will be pros and cons to each. Yes I tried to audition them at Fry's in Fountain Valley and the guy was all about Polks, but had a different Polk to listen to that I wasn't impressed by. He could not get the Energy to work even though he tried 3 times, because the Yamaha receiver it was connected to kept turning off. I will try again at the Anaheim store, but I trust people's opinion on AVS forum and wanted to avoid buyer's remorse later down the road. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Matching center and bookshelves for surrounds might be very expensive for the RC-70s. Best to price out the total package. Could be that there are alternative 5.0 setups that would provide you better sound for the same money.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
The RC LCR will come on sale for $199 -$229. The RC-10 will be the same price for a pair. As long as you are willing to wait You'll be fine with the RC setup.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
The RC LCR will come on sale for $199 -$229. The RC-10 will be the same price for a pair. As long as you are willing to wait You'll be fine with the RC setup.
That's a gamble, though. If I'm not mistaken, Frys has had those on sale only a couple times in the last year. There's no guarantee it's going to happen any time soon or even again. People also complained on Slickdeals that Frys oversold during one those sales and that orders were cancelled.

And I have the RC-50s, RC-LCR, with the Energy VS Surrounds which I got when Vanns was consistently putting them on sale (which is no more). It's a good setup. But there are alternatives that would sound just as good, if not better, for an HT setup if you don't get all the components on sale.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Yeah no guarantee you can find the rest of the speakers at a decent price, they have been discontinued for quite some time now. Those RTi speakers are a good choice, but there are many others to consider as well. Ascend, HTD, HSU, EMP, and Arx are some of the big internet direct contenders in this price range, and generally they offer more bang for the buck than B&M brands.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #6 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
If you go with the RTI-12's purchase a good power amp to power them or they will start compressing when you turn them up making them sound harsh. They need lots o' powah!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
That's a gamble, though. If I'm not mistaken, Frys has had those on sale only a couple times in the last year. There's no guarantee it's going to happen any time soon or even again. People also complained on Slickdeals that Frys oversold during one those sales and that orders were cancelled.

And I have the RC-50s, RC-LCR, with the Energy VS Surrounds which I got when Vanns was consistently putting them on sale (which is no more). It's a good setup. But there are alternatives that would sound just as good, if not better, for an HT setup if you don't get all the components on sale.
Its a gamble if he had to buy online, but not nearly as much since the OP lives in SoCal where Fry's stores are plentiful. Frys will put the RC speakers in store only and not make them available online. The RC LCR and RC-10 have been on sale at least 4 times this year for $229 or less.

Afro GT
post #8 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Not worried about finding them on sale. I have seen them on sale many times and held off pulling the trigger due to indecision between the two. What are the pros and cons as you see between the 2 speakers and which is better for HT. Someone mentioned HSU, which is located in Anaheim. I have an appointment tomorrow to check out subs. Which speakers should I listen to while I am there?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebren View Post
Not worried about finding them on sale. I have seen them on sale many times and held off pulling the trigger due to indecision between the two. What are the pros and cons as you see between the 2 speakers and which is better for HT. Someone mentioned HSU, which is located in Anaheim. I have an appointment tomorrow to check out subs. Which speakers should I listen to while I am there?
They only sell a bookshelf and center speaker, so have a listen to those in addition to the subs.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #10 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Fry's and heard the Energy speakers which sounded good to me. The Fry's guy did not have the Polk RTI12 and seemed really against it. He told me neither speakers are great, because they both have built in subwoofers and said to get a Klipsch which doesn't have a built in subwoofer component. Also, the Klipsch is much easier to drive with less power. He said the Klipsch separates the sound and sounds clearer. The lyrics did sound very clear, but sounded "weaker" to me. Is that a better path with a subwoofer? By the way I went to Hsu Research and the sub sounded AWESOME! Their set up sounded awesome for movies. The sound was so multi-dimensional and moving. I could feel literally feel huge gushes of air with the sub behind me. They had such an amazing set-up I don't know how practical it would be to reproduce it in my living room. They had acoustic dampening on the wall and listening position perfectly placed. I wish I could just move into their demo room

Last edited by ryebren; 06-24-2014 at 09:22 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 45
ANY speaker from Polk is amazing!! I have had my Polk speakers (seven) since 1985 and they still sound great! It is time to upgrade with the new surround sound formats coming out. You cannot go wrong with owning Polk speakers. I will never change to any other!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebren View Post
I went to Fry's and heard the Energy speakers which sounded good to me. The Fry's guy did not have the Polk RTI12 and seemed really against it. He told me neither speakers are great, because they both have built in subwoofers and said to get a Klipsch which doesn't have a built in subwoofer component. Also, the Klipsch is much easier to drive with less power. He said the Klipsch separates the sound and sounds clearer. The lyrics did sound very clear, but sounded "weaker" to me. Is that a better path with a subwoofer? By the way I went to Hsu Research and the sub sounded AWESOME! Their set up sounded awesome for movies. The sound was so multi-dimensional and moving. I could feel literally feel huge gushes of air with the sub behind me. They had such a amazing set-up I don't know how practical it would be to reproduce it in my living room. They had acoustic dampening on the wall and listening position perfectly placed. I wish I could just move into their demo room
Yeah I wouldn't listen to that sales guy cause he is telling you false information. There are no built in subwoofer with either the Energy RC70's or Polk RTi12's.

Listen to all the speakers in your budget and get the ones that sound best to you. Sales man like to talk you into speakers so they get a commission.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I own a pair of RC70s and a pair of polk rti bookshelves before I sold them. Similar drivers to the larger floorstanding versions. The Energy has better clarity and mid range were the majority of your music is.

Please note. I am using a A21 parasound amp to get the most out of their capabilities with a pt7030 prepro with XLRs.

I recommend the energys.
Reply Speakers