AVS Forum banner

Looking for a decent budget slim/low profile center channel to match Pioneer SP-FS52

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  fatbottom 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to Home Theater, although not new to audio, I've been into car audio for about 12 years.

I just bought a Sony STR-DN850 and a set of the Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones floor speakers for my new home, and I'd like to add a low profile center channel, and a sub or two as well. I didn't got for the Andrew Jones center channel because it's a bit too bulky and I didn't want to ruin the look of my new entertainment center.

So I'm looking for a center channel speaker that is lower than 4 inches in height, preferably under $200.

Let me know what you think and any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Here's what I have so far:

See less See more
#3 ·
Your front three speakers need to be timbre matched, using a different center than the Pioneer C22 is going to create imaging problems, especially when you have your mains spaced so far apart. Also it will be difficult to find a center that small and you will likely be restricted to a small satellite speaker which won't be ideal for what I assume is a good sized space.

I would forego a center unless you move your TV up. I would rather have no center than an undersized/mismatched one. You should still get some phantom center effect from the mains though.

And one additional comment about your L and R placement, you need to pull them forward a little bit because right now they are shooting into the side of the TV stand, leading to some unnecessary reflections. This slight adjustment should also improve the phantom center effect.

#4 ·
I thought about moving the TV up, I think I will try that and get the Pioneer center eventually. I'll probably just keep it 2 channel for now though. Would it be a bad idea to add bookshelf speakers to my L and R as well or should I just keep the towers only?

About the L and R speakers, I'm actually aware of them reflecting on the entertainment center and the only reason they're so far back right now is my wife hated the way they looked up front and we got in an argument about it. I'm going to slowly move them forward day by day and hope she doesn't notice. She didn't even want a home theater system, she said the TV speakers were fine:mad:. So I talked her into doing a soundbar, and then I got what I have now.

#7 ·
Your kidding, right!? Your wife approved of that MONSTROUS entertainment center, but doesn't like the speakers!? :) And if her point is that those Pioneer speakers aren't the best looking ever, I agree...Good buy, YES! Good looking speaker, well, not IMHO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.