Audioengine A5+ Bamboo vs Black - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audioengine A5+ Bamboo vs Black

Hi Audiophiles,
Is there a sound difference between the A5+ Bamboo and A5+ Black? I am looking to purchase them and wanted to know if the Bamboo makes any difference in SQ. If so is it beneficial?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSamuels28 View Post
Hi Audiophiles,
Is there a sound difference between the A5+ Bamboo and A5+ Black? I am looking to purchase them and wanted to know if the Bamboo makes any difference in SQ. If so is it beneficial?
Thanks
I read thru the web page and it seens to me that both black and bamboo are built with mdf board. They just have a different finish, one with a painted finish while the other uses bamboo veneer.
So there shouldnt be any difference in SQ.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
I read thru the web page and it seens to me that both black and bamboo are built with mdf board. They just have a different finish, one with a painted finish while the other uses bamboo veneer.
So there shouldnt be any difference in SQ.
My understanding is that while the black ones are MDF, the bamboo ones are in fact solid bamboo, not a veneer. My best guess is they sound slightly different, but whether you'd be able to tell the difference isn't clear. All things equal, MDF is a better choice for engineering a speaker. Audioengine has great customer service, just email them if you have questions. I have the A5+s in black and have been quite impressed with them.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
My understanding is that while the black ones are MDF, the bamboo ones are in fact solid bamboo, not a veneer. My best guess is they sound slightly different, but whether you'd be able to tell the difference isn't clear. All things equal, MDF is a better choice for engineering a speaker. Audioengine has great customer service, just email them if you have questions. I have the A5+s in black and have been quite impressed with them.

It is pretty clear that the site on features states hand built mdf wood cabinets.
As for the bamboo, is really the finish that they use and is not for the cabinet construction. They even use the word wrapped. Unlike anything you see from ascend sierra cabinets which are true constructed with bamboo. I think they did a good job at confusing prospects byers.
Quality bamboo sheet are quiet more expensive then mdf, i would be suprised they can offer a solid bamboo construction for $70 additional over the regulars.

Laminated bamboo are much densier and stiffer so they are actually better for speaker cabinets but due to cost and difficulty in working with it, manufactures chooses mdf.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A5-plus-N-Powered-Speakers

Last edited by RicardoJoa; 06-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
It is pretty clear that the site on features states hand built mdf wood cabinets.
As for the bamboo, is really the finish that they use and is not for the cabinet construction. They even use the word wrapped. Unlike anything you see from ascend sierra cabinets which are true constructed with bamboo. I think they did a good job at confusing prospects byers.
Quality bamboo sheet are quiet more expensive then mdf, i would be suprised they can offer a solid bamboo construction for $70 additional over the regulars.

Laminated bamboo are much densier and stiffer so they are actually better for speaker cabinets but due to cost and difficulty in working with it, manufactures chooses mdf.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powe...wered-Speakers
Yes, they use the word "wrapped," but they also write, "Made from renewable and sustainable solid bamboo - no veneers."
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
Yes, they use the word "wrapped," but they also write, "Made from renewable and sustainable solid bamboo - no veneers."
Veneer usually refers to wood, but if solid bamboo sounds better to you, be it. My speakers are wrapped with solid paoferro. Like i said they are great at confusing buyers.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Veneer usually refers to wood, but if solid bamboo sounds better to you, be it. My speakers are wrapped with solid paoferro. Like i said they are great at confusing buyers.
Veneer, inst usually wood....its wood. The very definition of veneer from Webster:

ve·neer

noun \və-ˈnir\ : a thin layer of wood or other material that is attached to the surface of something in order to make it look better

The point of this is that Audioengine is not clear. Is it "wrapped" or is it "solid"? You cant have it both ways.

I own the P4's and by looking at the slot port, it looks like these are solid Bamboo, as there is not layering of different colors from edge to edge. It just looks like a straight wood cut.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:20 AM

According to Audioengine customer service reps, it's solid bamboo. They claim they tweak the speakers to account for this, and that it actually has acoustic advantages over MDF. I'm skeptical of that, but my guess is the performance hit isn't significant. And yes, their use of "wrapped" is ambiguous, though their use of "solid bamboo -- no veneers" isn't particularly ambiguous.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

I know someone awhile back reviewed both he bamboo and the MDF and he said the bamboo "sounded better" FWIW. Completely subjective IMHO. Unless published graphs come out showing distinct differences, im not buying it. However, im a sucker for bamboo and they look way better than the black MDF...IMHO of course. I would even take the white over the black.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSamuels28 View Post
Hi Audiophiles,
You will need to have the ears of Superman - to really pick up any type of difference.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post
Veneer, inst usually wood....its wood. The very definition of veneer from Webster:

ve·neer

noun \və-ˈnir\ : a thin layer of wood or other material that is attached to the surface of something in order to make it look better

Im not getting your quote,.... veneer isnt usually wood..its wood then you quote a definition that states other material?

There are people that call bamboo wood, solid wood is just another way of saying that is pure wood. It really depends on how you interprete the meaning "solid" as there are various of meaning in different subject of content you are discussing.

Last edited by RicardoJoa; 06-24-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Bamboo is not wood. It is actually a type of grass. However, this discussion is truly imbecilic.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

No it is not and welcome for joining the imbecility post.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No it is not and welcome for joining the imbecility post.
Bamboo is grass, not wood. In fact, some people consider it a weed, becuase it can be very invasive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo

Bamboo i/bæmˈb/ (Bambuseae) is a tribe of flowering perennial evergreen plants in the grass family Poaceae, subfamily Bambusoideae, tribe Bambuseae
Old 06-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Im not getting your quote,.... veneer isnt usually wood..its wood then you quote a definition that states other material?

There are people that call bamboo wood, solid wood is just another way of saying that is pure wood. It really depends on how you interprete the meaning "solid" as there are various of meaning in different subject of content you are discussing.
Sorry for the confusion, but veneer is more often than not wood finishes.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bamboo is grass, not wood. In fact, some people consider it a weed, becuase it can be very invasive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo

Bamboo i/bæmˈb/ (Bambuseae) is a tribe of flowering perennial evergreen plants in the grass family Poaceae, subfamily Bambusoideae, tribe Bambuseae
Actually i meant to agree with him as not being wood.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but veneer is more often than not wood finishes.
Hey... what ever you like veneer to mean...
Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From my understanding, they are solid bamboo. The bamboo has a tendency to separate though. Some say that since the bamboo is a harder material than mdf, the sound is more natural sounding..... I didn't hear a difference. So just buy based on the look, because sound is pretty much the same, if any difference. Source - I use to own A5's in bamboo.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There may be a slight improvement with Bamboo in sound quality. They claim there is. The main difference is aesthetics, I love the looks of the Bamboo.

The same signature sound of the award-winning P4 wrapped in rock solid and beautifully hand-finished bamboo. Bamboo is an excellent alternative to hardwoods and the dark bamboo used for the Audioengine P4N cabinets is not a stain, but achieved through a specialized heating process. As the wood is pressure heated, the sugar compounds inside the bamboo are "carbonized" which in turn darkens the bamboo to a rich caramel color. Awesome sound, great looks, eco-friendly, and panda-safe.
P4N Eco-friendly features
Made from renewable and sustainable solid bamboo - no veneers
No stains or paint used - naturally "carbonized" finish sealed with hand-rubbed water-based satin polyurethane
Is the bamboo version a veneer and does the P4 bamboo version sound better than the black or white finished cabinets?
The P4 enclosure is made of solid carbonized bamboo, not a veneer. The bamboo cabinets were tuned to sound the same as the MDF speakers, but the density of bamboo will give it natural acoustic advantages over MDF material.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
yep,All things equal, MDF is a better choice for engineering a speaker. Audioengine has great customer service, just email them if you have questions. I have the A5+s in black and have been quite impressed with them.[IMG]http://*******/pQ9tzh[/IMG]thanks

Tags
Audioengine , Computers , speakers