58Likes

post #1 of 225 Old 06-23-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 34
New Erskine home theater -- Need advice on Klipsch vs. Procella

Ok, I'm having a new Dennis Erskine home theater put in a new house (designed and constructed by the Erskine group).

As many of you know, Dennis is very big on the benefits of horns to get the flat response needed across multiple listening rows (I probably said that wrong).

I'm already busting the budget on the room build, so my plan was to go with a Klipsch Ultra2 setup (will list actual components below), because I'm not sure I can reach for the Procellas.

However, I know a lot of people have and rave about the Procella's, so I want to make sure I'm not being penny wise, pound foolish.

Option A - Klipsch:

KL-650-THX LCRs
KL-7800-THX in wall Ultra2 for surrounds - mounted in columns (4 surrounds + 2 rear)
KW-120-THX Subwoofer (2 main subwoofers behind screen)
RW-5802 (Reference series in wall subwoofer -- 3 mounted in columns to act as balancing subs)

Option B - Procella:

P8 LCRS
P6 surrounds (4 surround + 2 rear)
P10SI -- three balancing subs in columns
Main subwoofer (unknown at this time, can't reach for single or dual Procella P18s).

Since I am sticking with horns, I believe these are my only options (Klipsch and Procella). The columns aren't big enough to use anything other than the Klipsch in wall THX (or Procella P6's), plus I need mono-pole, not di-pole, so couldn't use the Klipsch Ultra2 surrounds even if they fit.

In round numbers (not getting into specific pricing), the Procella option will be somewhere between 2-3x the Klipsch option.

My original thought had been to spend the money on the room construction and go cheaper on the speakers, knowing I can upgrade later, but upgrading isn't simple, as it will require another on site calibration (QSC DSPs, surround array, etc.), so an upgrade would not be a DIY project.

Am I crazy for even considering the Klipsch option, or with the well designed/constructed room, will the Klipsch option be a solid choice I should be happy with for years?

Any thoughts/advice on helping make the decision would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 225 Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I'd call Jeff at JTR.

http://jtrspeakers.com/
Archaea and GIEGAR like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 225 Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Thumbs up

^ ^ ^ + 1

JTR will give you Procella rivalling performance (arguably better) at a fraction of the price.

If necessary, Jeff will work with you to customise one of "8HT" coaxial designs (example) to suit your dimensional requirements for the six surrounds.

Add a trio of Noesis 212HT-LP's up front and a couple of Captivator S2's or Orbit Shifter LFU's, and you'd have high performance audio that's very tough to beat... at any price.

JTR also offers a 10% discount on 8 or more units (accumulative). So, excluding shipping and any customising costs, the 9.2 system outlined above will set you back about $17600.
post #4 of 225 Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll check JTR out. The LCR and dual sub looks interesting. Would have to shave at least an inch off the depth of the 8HT for it to fit in the column, and still need three passive balancing subs that would come in at 6" or less in depth. I suppose I could stick with the Klipsch in wall (reference series) subs for the balancing subs spread around the room.

From what I can tell, these aren't THX certified, correct? (I know many don't care and don't think the certification means anything)
post #5 of 225 Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
I'll check JTR out. The LCR and dual sub looks interesting. Would have to shave at least an inch off the depth of the 8HT for it to fit in the column, and still need three passive balancing subs that would come in at 6" or less in depth. I suppose I could stick with the Klipsch in wall (reference series) subs for the balancing subs spread around the room.
Another option for surrounds are the "THX Approved" JBL 8340A's, which are a high output cinema surround that reportedly work well with a JTR front end. They can be had for around $1100/pair or half the price of JTR's. It sounds like their 10.25" max. depth may be a problem for you though.

Quote:
From what I can tell, these aren't THX certified, correct? (I know many don't care and don't think the certification means anything)
I'm actually someone who sees a lot of value in THX certification (particularly Ultra 2), for someone piecing together a reference capable system, so I've got no worries with your question.

Yes, you're correct JTR is not THX certified. I'm by no means an expert on the requirements of a THX Ultra 2 speaker, but I think they generally relate to such metrics as power handling and distortion, output, minimum sensitivity of 89dB/1W/1m, 3.2Ω (min.) impedance, controlled horizontal dispersion, narrow vertical dispersion, low end roll-off and the requirement to be a "satellite" speaker. I'm only taking a stab, but think at least the JTR 228HT's and 212HT(-LP)'s would meet or exceed many of THX's requirements.

Edit:

FWIW, found the following metrics in this excellent old article: THX Certification: What It Means and How to Use It (Part III)

Metrics Tested on THX Speakers:

Axial Frequency Response Analysis
Directional Characteristics
Sensitivity
Impedance
Harmonic Distortion
Low Frequency Cut Off
Phase Angle
Stray Magnetic Flux
Maximum Output Level
Acoustic Noise Level
Polarity

Last edited by GIEGAR; 06-24-2014 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Added info.
post #6 of 225 Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Coincidentally I recently brought my JTR 212's over to a friends place to do a comparison with another friends Procella's and the home owner's Klipsch rf 83's (at the time I had put my 212's up for sale).

I am completely biased of course but I didn't think it was close. After the comparison the owner of the Procella's toyed with the idea of buying the JTR's and the owner of the Klipsch did buy them.

I'm not bashing the other 2 brands, I have enjoyed both on that and other occasions (and to be fair the Procella's weren't up against a wall like they are designed to be) but I do think you are doing the right thing looking into JTR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 225 Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 PM

^ ^ Thanks @carp , good stuff. Your first-hand experience is worth much more than my theorising!
post #8 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
I'm actually someone who sees a lot of value in THX certification (particularly Ultra 2), for someone piecing together a reference capable system, so I've got no worries with your question.

Yes, you're correct JTR is not THX certified. I'm by no means an expert on the requirements of a THX Ultra 2 speaker, but I think they generally relate to such metrics as power handling and distortion, output, minimum sensitivity of 89dB/1W/1m, 3.2Ω (min.) impedance, controlled horizontal dispersion, narrow vertical dispersion, low end roll-off and the requirement to be a "satellite" speaker. I'm only taking a stab, but think at least the JTR 228HT's and 212HT(-LP)'s would meet or exceed many of THX's requirements.
I don't think that certification, THX or otherwise, is the end all/be all, but it is a reasonably objective yardstick. A company that opts not to spend the time and money on getting certified might have speakers just as good or better than one that is THX certified.

Not a great example, but I'm still half asleep, but it's like buying a light fixture that isn't UL certified. It might be just as good or better, but you don't know for sure if it's safe.

I know I've read enough AVS reviews to know that many people love their JTRs, which is a pretty good indicator to their quality.

On those JBL surrounds, they won't fit. Because of the size of my room and the fact I am mounting the surrounds (6 of them, including back) in columns, I only have 6" of depth to work with. Hence the reason at this point I've been looking primarily at in wall (like Klipsch KS-7800-THX) or Procella P6V.
post #9 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I've never heard JTR speakers, but I've met Sheldon, (Carp), and I can verify that he's a credible and experienced guy. If he says the JTR's sounded better than the Klipsch and Procellas, you can be assured he's telling you the "truth as he perceived it" and not some "owner's hyperbole." He's been in enough theaters, and heard enough systems, to know what to listen for, and what a good system sounds like when it is accurately reproducing the content it is sent. I have every confidence, based on his recommendation, that a full-on JTR system would sound spectacular in your theater.

Having said that, I'll throw out another option for your consideration: Triad speakers:
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irglcr.html

Their Gold LCR's would be in-between the Procellas and Klipsch U2's in pricepoint, and close to the JTR's. (MSRP: $2,150 ea.) Also, they are sold by the store associated with this forum, and they may offer a discount on them. Contact Mike Garrett: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...e-sales-5.html
I recently helped a friend install a set of these in his theater, along with a Seaton Submersive HP, and the system sounds fantastic. (Edit: I should point out that the Triad Gold's are best driven by separate amplification. They dip to 3.2 Ohms, and many receivers will struggle with that kind of load. A THX U2 receiver might be OK, but outboard amplification will be your best bet, so factor that into your decision.)

For surrounds, Triad makes multiple versions of their Gold, Silver and Bronze speakers. They make free-standing, in-wall and on-wall versions, and they'll make custom sizes to fit most any application. They make dipole and monopole variations also, (Why did you say you can't use dipoles? In some surround situations, they can work better than monopoles.) The Triad Gold Surrounds are dipoles, but they can work in many situations:

If you absolutely must have monopoles, then the In-wall Gold LCR's could work very well also and give you identical performance from all the speakers in the system:

Dennis Erskine is very familiar with Triad speakers and has designed many theaters around their products. You could seek his advice on speaker selection also.

Good luck with your theater build. Enjoy the process as it is *almost" as much fun as the finished product. Post a "build-thread" in the "Dedicated Theater, Design and Construction Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-construction/ You'll get lots of encouragement and helpful advice there also.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

Last edited by craig john; 06-24-2014 at 07:03 AM.
post #10 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
these in his theater, and they sound fantastic.

They make dipole and monopole variations also, (Why did you say you can't use dipoles? In some surround situations, they can work better than monopoles.) The Triad Gold Surrounds are dipoles, but they can work in many situations:

Craig
I'm going to have an array of two surround speakers on each side. According to Dennis, if you are using dipoles, they need to be odd numbered arrays, 1 (not really an array), 3, 5, etc. I'm not sure why, but there is obviously some physics behind it.
post #11 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 881
While I haven't had a chance to hear any Procellas speakers I have had a chance to hear the Klipsch Ultra 2 speakers. I personally have some JTR 228HT's and I would say that I do prefer my JTR's over the KL-650-THX's. The KL-650's are quite a bit cheaper in price though, for me the JTR's are worth the added price but I could see for some it might not be. I would recommend you looking at different subs over the KW-120-THX's though, I think you could easily buy better for less money.

Last edited by jbrown15; 06-24-2014 at 02:06 PM.
post #12 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
^ ^ Thanks @carp , good stuff. Your first-hand experience is worth much more than my theorising!
Quote:
I've never heard JTR speakers, but I've met Sheldon, (Carp), and I can verify that he's a credible and experienced guy. If he says the JTR's sounded better than the Klipsch and Procellas, you can be assured he's telling you the "truth as he perceived it" and not some "owner's hyperbole." He's been in enough theaters, and heard enough systems, to know what to listen for, and what a good system sounds like when it is accurately reproducing the content it is sent. I have every confidence, based on his recommendation, that a full-on JTR system would sound spectacular in your theater.

Having said that, I'll throw out another option for your consideration: Triad speakers:
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irglcr.html

Their Gold LCR's would be in-between the Procellas and Klipsch U2's in pricepoint, and close to the JTR's. (MSRP: $2,150 ea.) Also, they are sold by the store associated with this forum, and they may offer a discount on them. Contact Mike Garrett: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...e-sales-5.html
I recently helped a friend install a set of these in his theater, along with a Seaton Submersive HP, and the system sounds fantastic. (Edit: I should point out that the Triad Gold's are best driven by separate amplification. They dip to 3.2 Ohms, and many receivers will struggle with that kind of load. A THX U2 receiver might be OK, but outboard amplification will be your best bet, so factor that into your decision.)

For surrounds, Triad makes multiple versions of their Gold, Silver and Bronze speakers. They make free-standing, in-wall and on-wall versions, and they'll make custom sizes to fit most any application. They make dipole and monopole variations also, (Why did you say you can't use dipoles? In some surround situations, they can work better than monopoles.) The Triad Gold Surrounds are dipoles, but they can work in many situations:

If you absolutely must have monopoles, then the In-wall Gold LCR's could work very well also and give you identical performance from all the speakers in the system:

Dennis Erskine is very familiar with Triad speakers and has designed many theaters around their products. You could seek his advice on speaker selection also.

Good luck with your theater build. Enjoy the process as it is *almost" as much fun as the finished product. Post a "build-thread" in the "Dedicated Theater, Design and Construction Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-construction/ You'll get lots of encouragement and helpful advice there also.

Craig

Thanks for the kind words guys, the reality is (as I'm sure you know) is that I have just been lucky. I have a great bunch of local friends I've met over the past few years through AVS and that has led to a ton of opportunities for comparing speakers, rooms, etc. It's been a blast.

Tnedador - I will say this - in all my demoing the best sounding room I've ever been in was Craig's. I don't know how much of it was his room and how much was the Triad Platinums/Submersive combo but whatever it was it was awesome. First room I've been in that reference didn't sound loud - at all.

The only reason I don't plug Triad Platinums like I do JTR's (ha, other than the fact that I'm a huge fan boy ) is because that was the only time I have heard them and like I said who knows how much of it was the amazing job that Craig has done with the room acoustics. Still, like I said - I've never heard a better room.

So, since you are getting a very well treated room you should look into Triad for sure!!

Craig, how much of a difference do you think there is between the Platinums and the Golds?

post #13 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm mobile, but did want to say thanks for the info, carp.
post #14 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

P.S. Would you guys be in agreement, that of all the options (procella, jtr, triads, etc.) That my Klipsch option I listed in my original post above is the least desirable? It would be my cheapest option, by a good margin, but I want to make sure I don't make a bad decision because I'm over budget.
post #15 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
P.S. Would you guys be in agreement, that of all the options (procella, jtr, triads, etc.) That my Klipsch option I listed in my original post above is the least desirable? It would be my cheapest option, by a good margin, but I want to make sure I don't make a bad decision because I'm over budget.
I personally would rank them at the bottom of your list, they really aren't that bad of a setup but the other speakers are better IMO.
post #16 of 225 Old 06-24-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I read the above question I was about to reply but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I personally would rank them at the bottom of your list, they really aren't that bad of a setup but the other speakers are better IMO.

jbrown's response ^ was pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

I will say for movies the Klipsch sound better to me than they do for music but I would still go with one of the other speaker options even if you are 100% movies.

However, a friend of mine recently bought these Klipsch kpt-904's and absolutely loves them. I haven't heard them yet but I really want to. His current room isn't treated obviously, but I don't think he plans on being there too much longer.

post #17 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A lot of good options and suggestions here. I have never heard the JTR's, but have read many, many great things about them. I would LOVE to hear them sometime.

I have, however, had the Klipsch 7.2 THX system - with dual subs - in my theater in the past, and now have the Triad Gold LCR's and Gold OnWall Surrounds - as craig john references above - along with dual SVS PB-13U's. I thought the Klipsch system was great - very dynamic for movies without the overly "bright" sound that is sometimes associated with Klipsch. However, I felt they lacked a bit on music - whether it be cd's, SACD's, Bluray concerts, etc. Don't get me wrong, they still sounded good, but this system was obviously made for movies - where they excelled.

With the Triads, I still get the huge dynamics of the Klipsch with a somewhat "warmer" tone to them. As someone said above, I can play these speakers very loud (in my smallish theater) and I get zero listening fatigue. And, the Gold OnWall (or InWall) surrounds are amazing - easily the best surround speakers I've ever had. They blend seamlessly with the Gold LCR's and provide a truly immersive sound field. Also, the Triads excel at music too - way better than the Klipsch. Not even close actually. I'm listening to more music in my theater than I ever have. It's like the best of both worlds. I will note that - as craig john says above - the Gold LCR's do benefit from good amplification. I am driving them with an Earthquake Cinenova Grande that has 300 watts per channel, and it's a great pairing.

Hope that helps a bit, since I have/had two of the systems being talked about so far on the thread!
post #18 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
The JBL 8320 are THX Certified and only 8.8" deep, which is over an inch less than the JTR 8HT, meaning it should work for you. I agree though JTR would be an excellent choice, and it's hard to beat the performance/dollar.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #19 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
JBL 3677 ($600 each), 4722 ($1200) each will easily outperform the Klipsch and be more on par with the JTRs. I've owned the 3677 and heard the Klipsch KL a few times. The mid bass and dynamics of the JBL is light years above the Klipsch. And with Sensitivity levels at 99db and up, clean reference levels are easily achieved.

Reddig likes this.
post #20 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
The JBL 8320 are THX Certified and only 8.8" deep, which is over an inch less than the JTR 8HT, meaning it should work for you. I agree though JTR would be an excellent choice, and it's hard to beat the performance/dollar.
Outside dimensions of my columns are 7", so I need something about 6" or less. That's why I'm probably stuck with Procella P6V or in wall speakers. I am so tight for space, going to say a 9.5" deep column, which doesn't seem like much, is an issue, because my aisle is already tight and I don't want to lose another 2.5" to 3" on each side.
post #21 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys, the reality is (as I'm sure you know) is that I have just been lucky. I have a great bunch of local friends I've met over the past few years through AVS and that has led to a ton of opportunities for comparing speakers, rooms, etc. It's been a blast.

Tnedador - I will say this - in all my demoing the best sounding room I've ever been in was Craig's. I don't know how much of it was his room and how much was the Triad Platinums/Submersive combo but whatever it was it was awesome. First room I've been in that reference didn't sound loud - at all.

The only reason I don't plug Triad Platinums like I do JTR's (ha, other than the fact that I'm a huge fan boy ) is because that was the only time I have heard them and like I said who knows how much of it was the amazing job that Craig has done with the room acoustics. Still, like I said - I've never heard a better room.

So, since you are getting a very well treated room you should look into Triad for sure!!

Craig, how much of a difference do you think there is between the Platinums and the Golds?
Hi Sheldon,

I had a set of Gold LCR's at my place for a demo, and to compare to the Platinum's, a while back. The Gold's sound very similar; they have the same Triad "family" sound. They have a little less headroom capability than the Plat's, but they still play plenty loud. They'll do RL in a standard sized HT without a problem, although they do need strong amplification to do it. I am using the Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande, (which outputs 600 watts into 4 Ohms), and it drove them strongly to RL without strain.

Like the Plat's, they have a sensitivity that is "high" at 94 dB, but not ultra-high like the JTR's. They also dip to 3.2 Ohms, so they need an amp with plenty of current capability. Nonetheless, they have the same overall "warm but dynamic" sound of the Plat's. If the Plat's didn't exist, I could easily live with the Gold LCR's for a very long time, and be very happy.

However, I am anxiously waiting to read your impressions of your 215RT's when you get them.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #22 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Outside dimensions of my columns are 7", so I need something about 6" or less. That's why I'm probably stuck with Procella P6V or in wall speakers. I am so tight for space, going to say a 9.5" deep column, which doesn't seem like much, is an issue, because my aisle is already tight and I don't want to lose another 2.5" to 3" on each side.
This comment concerns me, especially if you are going to use monopoles in the surround positions. If your outside seats are very close to the surrounds, they'll have a tendency to "hotspot" and call attention to themselves, especially in the closest seats. Dipoles work better in those situations. I'm not sure I understand Dennis Erskine's requirement to use dipoles only in odd numbered arrays, but I would think the hotspotting issue would be more significant than any issues caused by using dipoles in an even numbered array. Ask him and see. I would be interested in his response.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

post #23 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Remember too that if you're going to design this around object surround like the newly announced Dolby Atmos for the home, you do want monopoles. Dipoles can interact with the audio cues in an object mix.

I would have Erskine's team hold off on the final design until we have more concrete data on Atmos and, for that matter, DTS-UHD and their possible speaker layout requirements. You definitely want timbre matched speakers all around no matter what. Dolby may have limited their configuration choices in first generation products due to DSP limitations rather than a limitation of their Blu-ray soundtracks.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #24 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm unsure what to do about surrounds. I have noticed more and more that my side surrounds are very pin-point sounding when sitting in my sweet spot seat, meaning that I can tell that the sound effects are coming from my right and left from a specific position. I think the problem is my side surrounds are directly to my sides and not behind me at all. I could just move my side surrounds back a couple feet but I have a pole in the way.

So I've been thinking about dipoles... but then there is the whole Atmos thing....

post #25 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Sheldon,

I had a set of Gold LCR's at my place for a demo, and to compare to the Platinum's, a while back. The Gold's sound very similar; they have the same Triad "family" sound. They have a little less headroom capability than the Plat's, but they still play plenty loud. They'll do RL in a standard sized HT without a problem, although they do need strong amplification to do it. I am using the Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande, (which outputs 600 watts into 4 Ohms), and it drove them strongly to RL without strain.

Like the Plat's, they have a sensitivity that is "high" at 94 dB, but not ultra-high like the JTR's. They also dip to 3.2 Ohms, so they need an amp with plenty of current capability. Nonetheless, they have the same overall "warm but dynamic" sound of the Plat's. If the Plat's didn't exist, I could easily live with the Gold LCR's for a very long time, and be very happy.

However, I am anxiously waiting to read your impressions of your 215RT's when you get them.

Craig

Cool thanks, that's high praise for the golds IMO!

I'll post some pictures and impressions this Sunday or Monday of the 215's, can't wait!

post #26 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm unsure what to do about surrounds. I have noticed more and more that my side surrounds are very pin-point sounding when sitting in my sweet spot seat, meaning that I can tell that the sound effects are coming from my right and left from a specific position. I think the problem is my side surrounds are directly to my sides and not behind me at all. I could just move my side surrounds back a couple feet but I have a pole in the way.

So I've been thinking about dipoles... but then there is the whole Atmos thing....
And that's the thing. Dipoles are not recommended, but timbre matched monopoles are.

post #27 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Atmos, yet another thing to try and decide about. Adding for overhead would likely not be a problem. Getting the four overhead to be timbre matched to the others might be.
post #28 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
This comment concerns me, especially if you are going to use monopoles in the surround positions. If your outside seats are very close to the surrounds, they'll have a tendency to "hotspot" and call attention to themselves, especially in the closest seats. Dipoles work better in those situations. I'm not sure I understand Dennis Erskine's requirement to use dipoles only in odd numbered arrays, but I would think the hotspotting issue would be more significant than any issues caused by using dipoles in an even numbered array. Ask him and see. I would be interested in his response.

Craig
The room itself, while not huge, isn't tiny either. 27' x 17' and a 10' ceiling.

While the hallway is a bit tight, and the surrounds maybe a little closer than ideal, this is compensated by having them a bit higher (and I believe slightly angled down), not to mention the fact it is a surround array that will be calibrated using DSPs. Based on everything I've read about Erskine theaters, I'm not too worried about him creating a design with a hot spotting problem.

In fact early on, when I pointed out that the middle two seats in the front row should be the sweet spot, he quickly pointed out there will be no sweet spot in the theater, that all seats will sound equally good. Either way, 98% of the time it will just be my wife and I in there.

If I do opt for the Procellas and want to go for a 7.1.4 setup, I wonder if I could use the newly announced P5's in the ceiling coffers, pointed down, treating them like in ceiling speakers. That way they would still all be timbre matched, unlike if I went with Triad or some other in ceiling speakers.
post #29 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The room itself, while not huge, isn't tiny either. 27' x 17' and a 10' ceiling.

While the hallway is a bit tight, and the surrounds maybe a little closer than ideal, this is compensated by having them a bit higher (and I believe slightly angled down), not to mention the fact it is a surround array that will be calibrated using DSPs. Based on everything I've read about Erskine theaters, I'm not too worried about him creating a design with a hot spotting problem.

In fact early on, when I pointed out that the middle two seats in the front row should be the sweet spot, he quickly pointed out there will be no sweet spot in the theater, that all seats will sound equally good. Either way, 98% of the time it will just be my wife and I in there.

If I do opt for the Procellas and want to go for a 7.1.4 setup, I wonder if I could use the newly announced P5's in the ceiling coffers, pointed down, treating them like in ceiling speakers. That way they would still all be timbre matched, unlike if I went with Triad or some other in ceiling speakers.

Wow, that is a perfect size room! just an FYI, it's not 7.1.4 its just simply 7.4 Seven channels and four subs. With those room dimensions you could easily run wides or high's to have a 9.4 or run both for a 11.4 setup. Or scrap all of that and run Atmos
post #30 of 225 Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Wow, that is a perfect size room! just an FYI, it's not 7.1.4 its just simply 7.4 Seven channels and four subs. With those room dimensions you could easily run wides or high's to have a 9.4 or run both for a 11.4 setup. Or scrap all of that and run Atmos
Actually, 7.1.4 equates to seven regular channels, one LFE channel, four top/ceiling channels. Certainly, you can have more than one sub. That's just the way Dolby has broken the outputs down for Atmos.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page