Getting new speakers, but i don't know where to start - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting new speakers, but i don't know where to start

Hi, I'm buying new speakers for my graduation present. I have 900 dollars but I would much rather spend around 500 on a decent set of speakers (I'm no stereophile).

I have an HP laptop which is my workhorse and is huge. That already has a set of 2.1 speakers (Antec Soundscience; got 'em for 80 which is a steal!). However, I cannot concentrate when music is played directly in front of me. I've been studying in coffee shops for my big exam, and I realized I like ambient music so much better...not in my face and it induces me to concentrate and relax rather than get distracted. So this is what I want from my speakers...while I study on my desk or use my HP, I want music playing in a much farther distance and not in front of me.

I have a Macbook air and a Nexus tablet for potential music sources. It'll be most likely in my room (quite small) or the living room of my new place (probably will be small as well)

Music I listen to: rock, EDM, pop, jazz, classical

Questions:

a) Should I go bluetooth or not? I know it's probably convenient, but at the same time, I do not want to sacrifice quality. 500 for bluetooth is pushing it, or no?

a1) If yes, what bluetooth speakers do you recommend?

b) If I go the direct connection route, what components do I need, and what speakers do you all recommend? Clarity, soundstage, and how "crisp" it is above all things. Bass would be nice, but not a priority at all.

Thanks! I would appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
If you might use it in your living room, then get a receiver and passive speakers. That way, you have the option of hooking it up to your TV as well for movie watching, and even later, adding on with more speakers and sub to have an HT setup.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If you're never going to want to hook up your tv, start a home theater, then perhaps look at one of the streaming systems such as Sonos.
post #4 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I don't plan on creating a home theater system, but who knows? I may change my mind later on. But as of right now, I am a college graduate who will get a small place to live.

I do want the best sounding music system with the amount I have. In the future, I may get a subwoofer or something. I was thinking maybe bookshelves would be practical?
post #5 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

An AVR is probably the most practical way to integrate a subwoofer. It has a subwoofer line out with bass management tools to allow you to set the crossover for the sub and speakers that produces the best sound. Also, home audio subwoofers are generally configured well for hooking up to an AVR. But not all would be able to connect up well to other setups. So you have more flexibility in what you choose.

The Denon E300 would be a great choice for a receiver. Then Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE, HSU HB-1 MK2, or EMP Tek E5Bi. Then save the rest of your money for some nice headphones for when you want to listen to your music with other people around

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #6 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 540
A Denon receiver - with the JBL Studio 530, will play whatever music you desire to play.
The JBL is clean, open and smooth, with good detail and definition.
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-530...jbl+studio+530
cel4145 likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Couldn't I connect my laptop directly to the speakers? Do I need a receiver like the denons? I would like to stream from an app a lot of the times (Songza)
post #8 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

*plug it to the amp directly
post #9 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcucumber91 View Post
Couldn't I connect my laptop directly to the speakers? Do I need a receiver like the denons? I would like to stream from an app a lot of the times (Songza)
For passive speakers, you will need a receiver or amp

post #10 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
For what you want to do, you have two options, passive or active speakers. Active speakers are self powered meaning they have an amplifier built in, and you would connect directly to the speakers. Passive means they need an amplifier to power them, and this is most easily done with an AV receiver.

As was pointed out earlier, a receiver allows you to expand easier in the future, such as a center, surrounds, and a sub. Additionally, a network enabled receiver will allow you to stream music wirelessly, and help integrate multiple home theater components.

$500 will get you a nice set of active speakers, and if space is at a premium and your living situation temporary, an all inclusive option like this would be good. Take a look at the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s. These are very well reviewed and a popular choice. Another great option is the Audioengine A5+, these offer some good connection options, and come in various finishes if that is important to you.

There are some good options above for passive speakers, I would decide which route you want to take so we can offer some more specific recommendations.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #11 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

So my brother has bookshelf speakers that he doesn't use (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...olk&pldnSite=1). I'm not sure how good they are. I was planning on getting more expensive speakers but I guess I'll use that for now and save up money.

So I can do Mac > Denons > Polk? Does does the Denons and Polk "match up"/ are compatible?

Since I will be spending under my budget for now if I get just the Denons, maybe I should get a subwoofer? To put the extra oomph in my music?
post #12 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^^^^
Make sure you like and can live with the Polk - then decide on a sub

The Denon can handle the speakers

post #13 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm okay if I go the passive/ Denon route, what subwoofers to y'all recommend? Speakers are the most important component right? So the 'woofer doesn't have to be super expensive?

What about this? http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-8MK...ords=subwoofer

Any subwoofers you guys recommend?

Also, I'll be taking a look at the active speakers
post #14 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here is a very "value oriented" solution. I wish I had options like this when I was in college!

You cannot go wrong with any one of these speakers:

The second generation Pioneer Andrew Jones designed speakers
- SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Loudspeaker Pair (I own a pair of these)
- SP-FS52 Floor Standing Loudspeaker, Single
- SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker, Single

First Generation Pioneer Andrew Jones designed Speakers
Can be purchased on sale for really good prices!
- Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair (I own a pair of these)

Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel 130 Watt RMS (I own 4 of these!)

The Center channel makes a surprisingly good LCR speaker ! (Left - Center - Right)

newegg.com, amazon.com, tigerdirect.com, parts-express.com, frys, best buy, and others often have these speakers on sale. The first gen speakers can sometimes be found for incredible prices! I found the SP-C21 for 49.99! I bought the SP-FS51 for 129.99 a PAIR on sale).

Read all about them here
Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point

LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P6OTI/
12v 6a Adapter Power Supply
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TUMDWG/
(the power adapter is very important, the one that comes with the amp does not do the amp justice.)
you can also get the amp and power supply at http://www.parts-express.com/

Go to Monoprice.com, and get a 3.5mm cable and some speaker cable.
Connect your Laptop to the amp, getting the appropriate 3.5mm cable length for your situation. (You can get the speaker wire and 3.5mm cable anywhere, but monoprice has really good product at very good prices!)

I currently have the Lepai, and the power supply connected to the FS51's and use a Sansa Fuze running Rockbox to play music all day (for my dog, when I am at work). It sounds very good at almost any price, and when you take into consideration the value, it is AWESOME.

Musical, clear, neutral, awesome sound that is "easy" to listen to for hours and hours. People hearing your system will think you paid thousands for the setup.

Good luck and enjoy your music!

Last edited by BuddTX; 06-24-2014 at 10:35 PM.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 PM

Oh, a few more things:

This system will get plenty loud, but do not expect blow out the neighborhood.

I don't use a sub-woofer, but that is your choice. The speakers I listed are all full range speakers.

Surprisingly, the second generation bookshelf speakers (BS-22) go down pretty low!

If you can afford it, and your space can accommodate them, I would get the FS52 (2nd gen floor standing).

BUT, any one of those speakers I listed will sound awesome.

I am amazed how awesome these speakers sound, considering the price!
post #16 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
Here is a very "value oriented" solution. I wish I had options like this when I was in college!

You cannot go wrong with any one of these speakers:

The second generation Pioneer Andrew Jones designed speakers
- SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Loudspeaker Pair (I own a pair of these)
- SP-FS52 Floor Standing Loudspeaker, Single
- SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker, Single

First Generation Pioneer Andrew Jones designed Speakers
Can be purchased on sale for really good prices!
- Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair (I own a pair of these)

Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel 130 Watt RMS (I own 4 of these!)

The Center channel makes a surprisingly good LCR speaker ! (Left - Center - Right)

newegg.com, amazon.com, tigerdirect.com, parts-express.com, frys, best buy, and others often have these speakers on sale. The first gen speakers can sometimes be found for incredible prices! I found the SP-C21 for 49.99! I bought the SP-FS51 for 129.99 a PAIR on sale).

Read all about them here
Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point

LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P6OTI/
12v 6a Adapter Power Supply
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TUMDWG/
(the power adapter is very important, the one that comes with the amp does not do the amp justice.)
you can also get the amp and power supply at http://www.parts-express.com/

Go to Monoprice.com, and get a 3.5mm cable and some speaker cable.
Connect your Laptop to the amp, getting the appropriate 3.5mm cable length for your situation. (You can get the speaker wire and 3.5mm cable anywhere, but monoprice has really good product at very good prices!)

I currently have the Lepai, and the power supply connected to the FS51's and use a Sansa Fuze running Rockbox to play music all day (for my dog, when I am at work). It sounds very good at almost any price, and when you take into consideration the value, it is AWESOME.

Musical, clear, neutral, awesome sound that is "easy" to listen to for hours and hours. People hearing your system will think you paid thousands for the setup.

Good luck and enjoy your music!
The thing is, I have speakers that my brother has that is sitting in the dust. I might as well use it or it will be a waste of money. I will of course, save up for better ones in the future

What did you think about using the Denon e300? It has an amp + receiver? Or do you think that plugging laptops directly to an amp is better like you suggested?

One other thing, isn't the center speakers for surround sound? Or does that also add to the music?
post #17 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The thing is, I have speakers that my brother has that is sitting in the dust. I might as well use it or it will be a waste of money. I will of course, save up for better ones in the future

If you are happy with the sound, that is all that matters. I do believe that any good speaker, by itself, will sound good. I have compared many speakers, and then listened to each set individually, and they all sound good.

Quote:
What did you think about using the Denon e300? It has an amp + receiver? Or do you think that plugging laptops directly to an amp is better like you suggested?

Denon is a (very!) good name receiver, I have a 30 watt Denon from the 80's, and it sounds good, and is still going strong. Not to put down the Lepai, but without listening or even comparing the two, I would pick Denon over Lepai in a second. Again, the Lepai is good, and would work well in your application, and is cheap, but, compared to a Denon receiver? Sight unseen, Denon in a second.

You might need a RCA to 3.5MM cable, like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
One other thing, isn't the center speakers for surround sound? Or does that also add to the music?
Some center channel speakers can make very good Left and Right Stereo speakers.

In that Huge Andrew Jones AVS thread, Andrew Jones himself comments on how good the Center channel speaker works as a Left and Right Stereo Speaker.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Definitely take those Polks off his hands. If later on you upgrade your front left/right speaker, you could move them to surround duty for a 4.1 setup

Center speakers are speakers designed to be placed horizontal (although speakers labeled as "LCR" can be used horizontally and vertically). But is a speaker like any other. They were primarily created so that people could place a speaker under (or over) their TV for the center channel because most people cannot accommodate a vertical speaker in their HT setups. However, most people don't know that the best front soundstage for an HT setup is three exact same speakers across the front--and that's because most people have to go with the matching center instead because of the placement issues.

post #19 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 PM

About the Polk's that your brother has . . .

I know nothing about the Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers, BUT . . .

I own a set of Polk 5jr speakers from the 80's, and OMG, these things are AWESOME, even after 25-30 years of hard playing.

I know I raved about the Pioneer Andrew Jones designed speakers, but this 25-30 year old Polk 5jr just blows those AJ speakers away, and that is a HARD THING TO DO!

Definitely listen to those Polks for a month or two before buying anything else, esp if cost is a factor.

I want to re-emphasize my thoughts on well designed, well thought of, popular speakers. If you made a list of 10 similar speakers, and bought one pair by randomly picking one, and properly set it up in your home, it would sound very good, and most people would be very happy with the sound produced.

Is it "the best"? Well, now, you can spend days, months, years, heck, decades doing comparisons. Heck, the rest of your life even!

post #20 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Cool beans! I think I will go ahead and get the Denons for now. My brother is sending in his speakers this weekend. I will be looking at subwoofers. Again, if y'all have any suggestions of good ones (~100-200 bucks), name 'em!

I agree with your comment about the speakers, since i am no stereophile and I doubt I will able to tell the difference between speakers of close quality. If I were a millionaire, I would ofc get the best money can buy.. but I'm not haha and I believe the more you pay, the less of a difference you get. I think that's the fun of it all--comparing speakers, researching and learning, and getting the best bang outta your buck!
post #21 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I believe the more you pay, the less of a difference you get.
That's only true once you reach a certain price point for any audio product. So yeah, there are greatly diminishing returns in sound quality between a good $200 receiver and a good $400 receiver, because arguably, a good $200 receiver has already reached that point.

But it is way more expensive to build a good sub than people imagine. Difference between a good $200 sub and a good $400 sub? Much greater than between the similarly priced receivers.

post #22 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
That's only true once you reach a certain price point for any audio product. So yeah, there are greatly diminishing returns in sound quality between a good $200 receiver and a good $400 receiver, because arguably, a good $200 receiver has already reached that point.

But it is way more expensive to build a good sub than people imagine. Difference between a good $200 sub and a good $400 sub? Much greater than between the similarly priced receivers.
Yeah that's what I meant, I should've been clearer. Like for example, in my ears, there's a huge difference in the 50-100 dollar range for headphones, but any more expensive than entry-level headphones, the difference is a lot smaller. My brother had the Grado Sr80is (~100 bucks) and then got the 200 dollar Grados and he couldn't really tell the difference. Ofc, he didn't compare side to side (he gave the 80s to me) but he has "above-perfect" hearing and owns many audio products. He would be just as happy with the 80s

And damn, yeah I'll be debating whether to invest in a woofer or not
post #23 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah that's what I meant, I should've been clearer. Like for example, in my ears, there's a huge difference in the 50-100 dollar range for headphones, but any more expensive than entry-level headphones, the difference is a lot smaller. My brother had the Grado Sr80is (~100 bucks) and then got the 200 dollar Grados and he couldn't really tell the difference. Ofc, he didn't compare side to side (he gave the 80s to me) but he has "above-perfect" hearing and owns many audio products. He would be just as happy with the 80s
That might be true for Grados, but not necessarily for other brands of headphones. Grados are known for having only that minor difference. For example, the Grado SR80i and SR225i apparently use the same driver, but the SR225i is a better matched pair and it uses a different ear cushion. So the difference can be quite a big more with other headphones

post #24 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
So my brother has bookshelf speakers that he doesn't use (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...olk&pldnSite=1). I'm not sure how good they are. I was planning on getting more expensive speakers but I guess I'll use that for now and save up money.

So I can do Mac > Denons > Polk? Does does the Denons and Polk "match up"/ are compatible?

Since I will be spending under my budget for now if I get just the Denons, maybe I should get a subwoofer? To put the extra oomph in my music?
Yes they match up and are compatible. Since your brother is cool with letting you use those speakers I would try them out and see if you like the sound of them. The benefit is you can try them out for free and see if you like them and not spend money on speakers. If they sound good to you save your money and run the Polk TSi100's. I have Polk RTi4's hooked up to a small t-amp in my bedroom and they are great for background music.

As for a subwoofer if you are limiting your budget to $150 for a subwoofer I would ignore the Pioneer subwoofer its a bit too small for most applications with no room to grow. Something like a Dayton Sub-1200 will give you room to grow if you ever have a larger house/room
Quote:
Well depending on the Denon model you get it might have bluetooth or Apple's Airplay.

I personally just use a RCA-3.5mm cable so I go into the stereo inputs of the receiver and then plug the 3.5mm into the headphone jack on my laptop or iPod.
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-.../dp/B004YEBK66

Last edited by crazyrob425; 06-26-2014 at 08:04 AM.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I haven't heard these personally, but KRK Rokit 10-3s have been highly recommended a lot on AVSForum. You could plug them directly into your laptop with the right cables - no receiver needed:
http://www.sonicsense.com/krk-rp10-3...FRJk7Aod7QcAxw
post #26 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I haven't heard those speakers, but at an AVS get together last year they were given very high praise. The only downfall was that they were listened to at the very end of the night so most people were either gone or wasted lol. The few that did comment in that thread said they were exceptionally good.

One of the nice things about them is that the woofer it uses actually plays down into the mid 30's with decent authority. considering its for music at close range they will get as loud as you need.
Reply Speakers

Tags
ascend acoustics cbm-170

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page