Upgrade time! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
UGAd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Generally speaking, floorstanding can play lower but if you use a crossover at 80hz then there's not really a need. The sub takes care of the bass better than the floorstanding speakers can.

No, I don't think you need floorstanding if your current bookshelves play loud enough for you.

If you can find space (and budget) for two subs (to help smooth bass response) and bookshelves, I'd go that route.
UGAd13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Greenwood Ave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recently moved from B&W 683s to Ascend CBM-170 bookshelf speakers + SVS SB-2000. The 683s were great, but I'm pretty happy with my decision. I may one day upgrade the Ascends, and I may one day add a second sub, but I doubt I'll ever go back to floorstanding speakers. One more perspective to consider.
Greenwood Ave is online now  
post #33 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered my SVS PB-2000. Now I'm just waiting to figure out the speaker situation. I'm going to the Magnolia theater today to listen to these 3 setups:

B&W 683 w/ B&W HTM61 Center ($2327.33)

B&W CM1 w/ B&W CMC Center ($1788.27)

DefTech SM65 w/ DefTech CS-8040HD Center ($1515.47)

Would be amazing if I liked the sound of the DefTech setup over the B&W tower setup My wallet would be happy.
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #34 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
UGAd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
I ordered my SVS PB-2000. Now I'm just waiting to figure out the speaker situation. I'm going to the Magnolia theater today to listen to these 3 setups:

B&W 683 w/ B&W HTM61 Center ($2327.33)

B&W CM1 w/ B&W CMC Center ($1788.27)

DefTech SM65 w/ DefTech CS-8040HD Center ($1515.47)

Would be amazing if I liked the sound of the DefTech setup over the B&W tower setup My wallet would be happy.
"Bajawaverunner" eBay store is deftech's refurb seller. I just checked and they don't have that set up in stock, but to give you an idea of the pricing the SM55s are $180/each ($299/each retail).

Also, if you like Polk check out Polk Audio Direct on eBay. Polk and DefTech are owned by the same parent company.

Happy shopping.

Last edited by UGAd13; 06-26-2014 at 12:56 PM.
UGAd13 is offline  
post #35 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post
"Bajawaverunner" eBay store is deftech's refurb seller. I just checked and they don't have that set up in stock, but to give you an idea of the pricing the SM55s are $180/each ($299/each retail).
Thanks. How has your experience been with refurbished items?
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
UGAd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Thanks. How has your experience been with refurbished items?
With baja it's great. Items were brand new in packaging. Basically just overstock or customer returns, based on an educated guess. Once an item is returned for whatever reason it can't be sold as "new".
UGAd13 is offline  
post #37 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Polk's ebay store: http://www.ebay.com/usr/polkaudio?_t...p2047675.l2559
Majority of the stuff they are selling is new for the most part.
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #38 of 48 Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you all see any problem in running both my SVS PB-2000 and my Klipsch SW-350? Or should I ask this in the subwoofer thread?
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 06-27-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,543
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Would you all see any problem in running both my SVS PB-2000 and my Klipsch SW-350? Or should I ask this in the subwoofer thread?
It is more difficult to integrate two different subs, and you are going to be limited to the capability of the Klipsch, so your SVS will not be fully utilized. I would just stick with the PB-2000 for now, and then add a second down the road

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #40 of 48 Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
UGAd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What Trans said is generally true, however, you can give what I did a try and see if you like it.

I recently upgraded to a larger sub (12" from the dinky 8" that came with the speaker package). I placed the 12" up next to the TV and moved the 8" nearfield, up against the couch using the rocketfish wireless sub kit. I haven't done a full audyssey set up or taken measurements yet, but to me it's an even better improvement than just going from the 8" to the 12" alone. It has helped smooth out the bass and I also get a good tactile feeling in the couch now. I also have an open concept with vaulted ceilings to the 2nd floor so pressurizing the area is next to impossible.
UGAd13 is offline  
post #41 of 48 Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post
What Trans said is generally true, however, you can give what I did a try and see if you like it.

I recently upgraded to a larger sub (12" from the dinky 8" that came with the speaker package). I placed the 12" up next to the TV and moved the 8" nearfield, up against the couch using the rocketfish wireless sub kit. I haven't done a full audyssey set up or taken measurements yet, but to me it's an even better improvement than just going from the 8" to the 12" alone. It has helped smooth out the bass and I also get a good tactile feeling in the couch now. I also have an open concept with vaulted ceilings to the 2nd floor so pressurizing the area is next to impossible.
Awesome! Thanks, I'll try that. I ended up getting the B&W CM1 bookshelf speakers, the CMC2 center and the Marantz SR-6008 AVR. I'm having the whole house painted so these will have to stay boxed up for the next week or 2 but I can't wait to hear everything. Now I just need to replace this crappy Sharp Aquos LC60EQ10U.
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #42 of 48 Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Member
 
kpotier16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Don't discount used either, I picked up a pair of $1500 standmounts for $200 (totally minty mint)[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. Very good deals can be found on used speakers. As long as you bring a small stereo and cables to test them you are safe. Some of the deals I've found used:
Velodyne f-1200 subwoofer- $20- in perfect condition
jbl studio s center- $30- also like new

I especially agree with going used on standmounts. Its a piece of metal not much can go wrong.
.
kpotier16 is offline  
post #43 of 48 Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
I ordered my SVS PB-2000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
I ended up getting the B&W CM1 bookshelf speakers, the CMC2 center and the Marantz SR-6008 AVR. I'm having the whole house painted so these will have to stay boxed up for the next week or 2 but I can't wait to hear everything. Now I just need to replace this crappy Sharp Aquos LC60EQ10U.
Congrat's on the New Audio set-up! I'm sure having to wait to set everything up with it all there in boxes will be tough, but worth it.


I went the other way and got the better tv first then had to have the sound to match a year later. Look forward to hearing how it all works out for you once it is all set up.
discone is offline  
post #44 of 48 Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The PB2000 will be an absolutely, blow you away, night and day difference over your current sub. Generally, mixing subs with different extension, roll offs, and output can improve response 40Hz and up(which is typically where a single sub struggles) at moderate volume i.e. as long as you don't exceed the output capability of the lesser sub. Where it will hurt things is in the deep bass 30Hz and below, where differing roll offs and port tunes will cause cancellation and a reduction in low bass due to phase issues.
Where should I cross everything over at? 80?
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #45 of 48 Old 06-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Where should I cross everything over at? 80?
THX recommends 80Hz. Most of what I've seen on here is from 80 to 100Hz for crossover. After I ran Audyssey it set most to 80 one to 90 and the center to 60Hz. I played around with them all at 80 and 100, but settled at 80Hz for fronts and surrounds then 60Hz for the center. If you go to far above 100Hz then the sub becomes more localized and you might not want that.

Once you have it set up try the different settings to see what sounds best to you as that is what matters most.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
discone is offline  
post #46 of 48 Old 06-29-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
THX recommends 80Hz. Most of what I've seen on here is from 80 to 100Hz for crossover. After I ran Audyssey it set most to 80 one to 90 and the center to 60Hz. I played around with them all at 80 and 100, but settled at 80Hz for fronts and surrounds then 60Hz for the center. If you go to far above 100Hz then the sub becomes more localized and you might not want that.

Once you have it set up try the different settings to see what sounds best to you as that is what matters most.
Thankfully I have nowhere to put surrounds in my living room so I only have 3 speakers to setup haha.
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #47 of 48 Old 06-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Thankfully I have nowhere to put surrounds in my living room so I only have 3 speakers to setup haha.
Lol Yes that makes it a lot easier to set up and keep's the budget in check.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
discone is offline  
post #48 of 48 Old 06-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
I apologize in advance if this is a "tl;dr" post.

Current equipment:

Sharp Aquos LC60EQ10U
Yamaha RX-V575
Klipsch KB-15 Bookshelfs
Klipsch KC-25 Center
Klipsch SW-350

Looking to upgrade my Klipsch KB-15 Bookshelf speakers to floorstanding. I have a budget of around $750/ea or $1500/pr. The only place I can really demo anything around here would be a Best Buy Magnolia store. I use my entertainment system for 60% television (TWC), 35% blu-ray, 5% music. Some of the speakers I've been researching in my price range are the Polk RTi A9, B&W 683 and Warfdale Diamond 10.7. I will not be able to demo the Warfdales. I do not make a lot of money, and it takes me a while to save for things so I'm not exactly sure where I should start upgrading. The system can get loud, but there is no real clarity/depth/detail to anything. Should I start by getting another receiver? Should I start with another subwoofer? I feel that the most noticeable difference would be getting towers, or possibly a new sub (checking out the SVS PB-2000). My living room/dining area/kitchen are kind of all one, big open area and I have high ceilings (15ft). The living room is crowded so I would not be very flexible on speaker/subwoofer placement. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks for any help in advance.
Also look at Aperion, Monitor Audio, PSB and etc. You have lots and lots of options for floor standing speakers.
ohrbrcko is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off