Are there any "good" in wall speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any "good" in wall speakers?

Moved into a new house and current speaker set up is not going to work. We are looking at putting in- wall speakers for the L and R front surround, regular center, and in- ceiling for back L and R (in a 5.1 set up). I have had a few different AV companies come out and give estimates, but they are all pitching different speakers and I have not really heard them all. Are there any in wall speakers that are good? Looking to stay in the $500- $1000 per speaker range.
The company that I am leaning towards has been suggesting the Paradigm SA 30 or SA 35.
This is going to be in our main living room that opens into the kitchen/ dining room, and it will be used primarily for tv and movies with some music thrown in when entertaining.
In that price range, are there any in- wall suggestions that will sound as good as similar priced bookshelf speakers?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Definitely. I think the toughest thing is to get a full sound, particularly without a sub. The bigger speakers do better.

I haven't heard these, but they look pretty awesome for the money:
http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.p...c54e7be0693015

Also:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-TRIAD-IN-W...item19ef4daf99

I'd expect all these to be superior to bookshelves.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavMcGee View Post
Moved into a new house and current speaker set up is not going to work. We are looking at putting in- wall speakers for the L and R front surround, regular center, and in- ceiling for back L and R (in a 5.1 set up). I have had a few different AV companies come out and give estimates, but they are all pitching different speakers and I have not really heard them all. Are there any in wall speakers that are good? Looking to stay in the $500- $1000 per speaker range.
The company that I am leaning towards has been suggesting the Paradigm SA 30 or SA 35.
This is going to be in our main living room that opens into the kitchen/ dining room, and it will be used primarily for tv and movies with some music thrown in when entertaining.
In that price range, are there any in- wall suggestions that will sound as good as similar priced bookshelf speakers?
Thanks!
First, I would recommend you look at ON-wall speakers for the front 3. Lots of advantages to on walls over in-walls, including lower cost for similar performance, lower cost of installation, and having the ability to move them, if needed. Look at PSB, Golden Ear, Def Tech Mythos series, and Totem Tribe.

That said, for In-walls Triad and James are well regarded, if somewhat expensive. Check them out before pulling the trigger. Don't these installers have a demo room so you can listen to their in-wall speakers before installation? If not, can they set you up with a demo from a previous client? Doesn't hurt to ask ... when you are going to spend as much money as you will end up spending.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-25-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Paradigms are nice. I would go in wall with an enclosure overr on wall speakers. You are basically making a baffle wall which has a lot of acoustic advantages over on wall speakers. Some of the Paradigms have an enclosure available. Triad and James are also good suggestions and at that point it is personal preference.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the Phase Technology CI110-II and they are fantastic. They are built like tanks, weighing in a 22lbs. each, opposed to many of the plastic inwalls you see on the market that are just flimsy. Another route would be a 2-speaker lcr setup such as their CI-150. Also check out the offerings from James Loudspeaker and Artison for their 2-speaker lcr, onwall setups. All 3 of these companies offer top-tier build quality, made here in USA. Artison also has some great inwall subwoofers.
nashou66 likes this.

Last edited by kwkshift; 07-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Those Paradigm in-walls are a great choice. I'd definitely go with those for the L, C, R. Just make sure you beck them up with a good receiver because they love power.