4Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please recommend high-end tower speakers for my bedroom

Room size: 20' x 14' x 10'

Current system: I'm a newbie. 2 months ago, I bought the following to start and play with: Sony STR-DN840 receiver, Pioneer SP-PK52FS speakers, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Subwoofer. I also installed some sound panels and bass traps. Although currently I have a 7.1 setup, I almost never watch movies. Just music (all kinds). So I figured I might just need to buy two tower speakers (and maybe a matching receiver too), given that my sub is decent (but if necessary, I don't mind upgrading the sub too).

Budget: I don't have a hard budget. I feel comfortable with 5,000, but don't mind 10,000 (or even 20,000. But it doesn't make sense to buy those extremely expensive ones because I only have average ears and won't be able to hear the difference. Also they're usually too heavy)

Preference: great value. not too heavy, ideally less than 80 lbs. I don't mind used speakers (in case you have something to get rid of ) as long as they're in mint condition.

If possible, please be specific with the brand and model, ideally with a little justification. Thanks much!

Last edited by atx2014; 06-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Focal
http://www.focal.com/en/88-high-fidelity-home-cinema

Kef
http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/...iew/index.html
http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/...ries/overview/

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Last edited by fatbottom; 06-25-2014 at 03:42 AM.
post #3 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I am assuming that is US dollars, in which case you have hundreds of options... What I would do, seeing as you are located in a big city, is to go and find some hifi shops and listen to everything. Tell them you are interested in some tower speakers and bring an iPod with some of your favorite songs, or a couple CDs. You are probably going to need some discrete amplification to do high end speakers justice, so I would consider that as well. Figure out what kind of sound you like, and which brands you prefer and then we can help better.
dsrussell likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I am assuming that is US dollars, in which case you have hundreds of options... What I would do, seeing as you are located in a big city, is to go and find some hifi shops and listen to everything. Tell them you are interested in some tower speakers and bring an iPod with some of your favorite songs, or a couple CDs. You are probably going to need some discrete amplification to do high end speakers justice, so I would consider that as well. Figure out what kind of sound you like, and which brands you prefer and then we can help better.
Thanks much for the replies. I trust word of month more than my own ears Also, I really don't know where to find hifi shops in austin. I tried but seems some were closed.
post #5 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx2014 View Post
Thanks much for the replies. I trust word of month more than my own ears Also, I really don't know where to find hifi shops in austin. I tried but seems some were closed.
Well what sounds good to me could sound completely different to you. That is why there are so many brands of speakers out there, everyone hears differently.

What I would do is go online to manufacturers websites, and use their locate a dealer feature to see who is near you. Try brands like Paradigm, B&W, KEF, Focal, and Revel. These are some of the well known brands with high-end offerings. The shops are bound to carry other brands as well, and being able to hear them together is the best way to audition. See what you like, and visit a few shops. If you are going to drop $5,000 or more on a pair of speakers, you need to hear them first and make sure you like them.

post #6 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You can check Audiogon for some decent deals on used speakers. Kef was already mentioned so here is just a thought. http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ful...9-cambridge-ma
post #7 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Mainly music. Check out Vienna Acoustics.
post #8 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 450
atx: There is no more difficult task than to recommend main speakers. Speakers, like music, is a very personal journey and it would be a good idea to narrow the field before you start your search. And as Transmaniacon stated, you have hundreds to choose from. And if a hundred people gave you suggestions, almost all would be different. Most will tell you to get a great pair of bookshelf speakers and let the subwoofer handle the lower frequencies. If you really want towers, make sure your receiver has the power to drive them (speaker efficiency varies widely). Either way, audition as many as you can, but don't be in a rush. Bring your favorite CDs, SACDs and/or DVD-A's with you (along with a dB meter!!!), and try and bring different types of music. When I bought my mains, I had at least 8 CDs and 2 SACDs. Before I began my journey, I had a good idea of the speakers I wanted to audition. I also listened for a couple of hours at each showroom and only auditioned two speakers at each place (noting the dB readings at key moments as I listened). If you listen to too many at one audition, it gets confusing fast. Also inquire what size/brand amplifier they are driving the speakers with.
post #9 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Usually not a good practice when picking out something that has to do with one of your five senses. Otherwise, someone could tell you that only a pair of 10K speakers is what you need, when you could have spent a tiny fraction of that to satisfy your wants.
post #10 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 87
On the higher end of your price range, check out Legacy Aeris:
http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/aeris/

They sound spectacular, plus the included processor allows fine tuning the sound to your room and taste.

In Austin:
http://www.audiosystems.com/LegacyLanding.html

Pricey, but I think they are the best speakers I've ever heard.
post #11 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
atx: There is no more difficult task than to recommend main speakers. Speakers, like music, is a very personal journey and it would be a good idea to narrow the field before you start your search. And as Transmaniacon stated, you have hundreds to choose from. And if a hundred people gave you suggestions, almost all would be different. Most will tell you to get a great pair of bookshelf speakers and let the subwoofer handle the lower frequencies. If you really want towers, make sure your receiver has the power to drive them (speaker efficiency varies widely). Either way, audition as many as you can, but don't be in a rush. Bring your favorite CDs, SACDs and/or DVD-A's with you (along with a dB meter!!!), and try and bring different types of music. When I bought my mains, I had at least 8 CDs and 2 SACDs. Before I began my journey, I had a good idea of the speakers I wanted to audition. I also listened for a couple of hours at each showroom and only auditioned two speakers at each place (noting the dB readings at key moments as I listened). If you listen to too many at one audition, it gets confusing fast. Also inquire what size/brand amplifier they are driving the speakers with.
Thank you dsrussell. bookshelves + subwoofer? I thought it's better to have two towers + subwoofer ... If bookshelves + subwoofer can do the job, what's the purpose of towers? Sorry if the question sounds silly.
post #12 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
On the higher end of your price range, check out Legacy Aeris:
http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/aeris/

They sound spectacular, plus the included processor allows fine tuning the sound to your room and taste.

In Austin:
http://www.audiosystems.com/LegacyLanding.html

Pricey, but I think they are the best speakers I've ever heard.
Thank you rcohen for the suggestion especially the Austin store link. I'll definitely go check the speakers out!
post #13 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you dsrussell. bookshelves + subwoofer? I thought it's better to have two towers + subwoofer ... If bookshelves + subwoofer can do the job, what's the purpose of towers? Sorry if the question sounds silly.
The purpose of towers is to have a full range speaker that doesn't need the help of a subwoofer. Most music is above 35 Hz so a good full range speaker should do well with most music … but not all. Music that has deep pipe organ notes or that uses synthesizers can go very deep (down to 16 Hz for a pipe organ), which require a subwoofer (or two). So, depending upon the music you listen to will determine if a quality sub is in your future no matter what your main speakers are. Because of this, don't just eliminate a high-quality bookshelf speaker.
post #14 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you fatbottom, Transmaniacon, TCARCIO, gprace, dsrussell, jaeelarr, AcuDefTechGuy, and rcohen. I appreciate your help. I’ll seriously consider your suggestions and recommendations.

I have a confusion. I like to read reviews especially the ones from experts and trustworthy sources. But some reviews describe the speakers in a way that confuses me. For example, in this cnet review, "... Zu speakers are extremely dynamic, lively performers, and they produce razor-sharp imaging ..." If a pair of $999 speakers can be this good from expert ears, how can $5000, $10,000, $80,000 speakers be described? I don't think I need speakers that sound better than "extreme". It's not like they describe the speakers as "best ones within this price range", which I have no confusion about.
post #15 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Thank you rcohen for the suggestion especially the Austin store link. I'll definitely go check the speakers out!
You're welcome. I've heard that they have lots of great stuff there, so maybe you'll find something else you like. Modia has a set of B&W 802Ds that are worth a listen.
post #16 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The purpose of towers is to have a full range speaker that doesn't need the help of a subwoofer. Most music is above 35 Hz so a good full range speaker should do well with most music … but not all. Music that has deep pipe organ notes or that uses synthesizers can go very deep (down to 16 Hz for a pipe organ), which require a subwoofer (or two). So, depending upon the music you listen to will determine if a quality sub is in your future no matter what your main speakers are. Because of this, don't just eliminate a high-quality bookshelf speaker.
Thanks. But would a pair of towers + sub sound better than a pair of bookshelves + sub? suppose the towers and bookshelves are at the same quality level.
post #17 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The idea of going with a sub+sat system over towers is you can buy a better bookshelf than tower for the same money. The end result is pretty much the same, but if you listen in pure direct mode, you need towers.

post #18 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Depends on what towers you are talking.
For example in a ''mtm'' two way desing tower, you gain some sensitivity over a ''tw'' two way desing of the same drivers.
You could also have a tower in a three way, over a book self two way, where a dedicate midrange is used over a book shelf with a woofer that cover a wider range.

But both tower and bookshelves would work.
post #19 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Bookshelf + sub would also work well.

Something like a pair of KEF 201/2 Reference bookshelf speakers + Subwoofer would be an option.

I think the KEF 201/2 is among the best sounding and measuring speakers in the world - ultra accurate and ultra smooth. Combine them with a great sub and you got yourself a potent high-end system.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...kef/index.html

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/kef_2012.htm

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 06-25-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #20 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
You're welcome. I've heard that they have lots of great stuff there, so maybe you'll find something else you like. Modia has a set of B&W 802Ds that are worth a listen.
Thank you so much I'll definitely check out modia too. I did do my research about the stores in austin just couldn't find any. now you already gave me two. I can't wait to check them out. B&W 802Ds are in my consideration and they'll be the ultimately good speakers for my ears. Currently I don't plan to consider anything better than B&W 802D unless my ears evolve over the years. Also I don't plan to spend too much. When I mentioned 20,000 in my budget, I had B&W 802D in my mind I know they're about 15,000 a pair, very reasonable

Though sooner or later I think I'll get a pair of B&W 802Ds, currently I prefer to get a pair of cheaper ones (like in the 5000 range) just for now to allow myself to improve and grow to qualify as an audiophile
post #21 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a confusion. I like to read reviews especially the ones from experts and trustworthy sources. But some reviews describe the speakers in a way that confuses me. For example, in this cnet review, "... Zu speakers are extremely dynamic, lively performers, and they produce razor-sharp imaging ..." If a pair of $999 speakers can be this good from expert ears, how can $5000, $10,000, $80,000 speakers be described? I don't think I need speakers that sound better than "extreme". It's not like they describe the speakers as "best ones within this price range", which I have no confusion about.
No matter what speaker one selects, there are other speakers out there that will outperform it, and may even do so at much lower price point. There is simply no way to audition every speaker in existence. And people are people. What one loves, another will hate. Only YOU can judge what you love and what you don't, and that opinion often coincides with the type of music you critically listens to.

When I read reviews, I go by a consensus opinion, which may lead me to put that speaker on a short list to audition (if price and value makes sense). I would never buy a speaker without auditioning it first, no matter how many professional reviewers and amateur users recommend it. Luckily for me, I knew what "type" of speaker I wanted (and have wanted for many years), so it was just a matter of setting away time and listening for hours (and several days … going back and forth).

As you can already see, several good suggestions have been made, and all different. You won't see me offering a suggestion, because it would be meaningless, because what I like and you like could be polar opposites.
post #22 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Whatever you decide on, please do an extended comparison with your current Pioneer SP-PK52FS speakers, using the same amp and cables.

I am amazed how well the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers compare to my 9 year old Axiom M80's.

I compared the SP-FS51-LR (first gen AJ floor standing speakers) to my M80's, while my M80's sounded better, I would not have purchased my M80's at their current price, compared to the SP-FS51's.

To make matters even more "unfair", My M80's were passively bi-amp-ed with my Pioneer VSX-1015 (120 watts per channel, THX2 Certified), and the FS51's were powered by a Lepai LP-2020+ with a 12v 6A 3rd party power supply.

I have the bookshelf 2nd Gen AJ speakers (SP-BS22-LR) and they do sound better than the first gen, so I am just assuming that the 2nd gen floor standing speakers will even be better than the 1st gen.

These AJ speakers just amaze me, the sound they put out, for the price is just awesome.

Now if you want something that looks high end, well, you have lots of choices, the Pioneer speakers, while nice looking, cannot compare to the looks of 500-2000 speakers.
post #23 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have and highly recommend Aerial Acoustics 7t's. Why? Because I have auditioned several speakers over the years and in their price range they are the best I've heard. There are some good reviews, just Google them. They are a little heavier than you want but they recently introduced the 6t's which are a little lighter.
post #24 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Thank you so much I'll definitely check out modia too. I did do my research about the stores in austin just couldn't find any. now you already gave me two. I can't wait to check them out. B&W 802Ds are in my consideration and they'll be the ultimately good speakers for my ears. Currently I don't plan to consider anything better than B&W 802D unless my ears evolve over the years. Also I don't plan to spend too much. When I mentioned 20,000 in my budget, I had B&W 802D in my mind I know they're about 15,000 a pair, very reasonable

Though sooner or later I think I'll get a pair of B&W 802Ds, currently I prefer to get a pair of cheaper ones (like in the 5000 range) just for now to allow myself to improve and grow to qualify as an audiophile
I just sold my pair of B&W 802D2 (2nd generation Diamond). I bought them brand new less than a year ago.

Now I am selling my pair of Revel Salon2. I bought them brand new about 2 years ago.
post #25 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
Whatever you decide on, please do an extended comparison with your current Pioneer SP-PK52FS speakers, using the same amp and cables.

I am amazed how well the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers compare to my 9 year old Axiom M80's.

I compared the SP-FS51-LR (first gen AJ floor standing speakers) to my M80's, while my M80's sounded better, I would not have purchased my M80's at their current price, compared to the SP-FS51's.

To make matters even more "unfair", My M80's were passively bi-amp-ed with my Pioneer VSX-1015 (120 watts per channel, THX2 Certified), and the FS51's were powered by a Lepai LP-2020+ with a 12v 6A 3rd party power supply.

I have the bookshelf 2nd Gen AJ speakers (SP-BS22-LR) and they do sound better than the first gen, so I am just assuming that the 2nd gen floor standing speakers will even be better than the 1st gen.

These AJ speakers just amaze me, the sound they put out, for the price is just awesome.

Now if you want something that looks high end, well, you have lots of choices, the Pioneer speakers, while nice looking, cannot compare to the looks of 500-2000 speakers.
Thanks BuddTX. Yeah the Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones speakers sound great (especially after I matched them with a decent sub. The sub is the weakness of the system) and are a great value. The cnet reviews convinced me, now I have 4 towers, 4 bookshelves (2 not in use), 1 center, and 1 sub (not in use). Since you're in Houston, maybe you can buy some off me. I'll give you a good price From the reviews I read, they're better than their predecessors but I didn't do the comparison myself.

I think the pioneer speakers may already sound comparable to many 1000~2000 speakers, that's why I mentioned 5000 as my comfortable budget. I want to hear a difference.

And yes, as you and many have suggested, I'll go take a listen and comparison before I pull the trigger. I use decent 12awg wires. I don't care about the looks much

Last edited by atx2014; 06-25-2014 at 02:13 PM.
post #26 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. But would a pair of towers + sub sound better than a pair of bookshelves + sub? suppose the towers and bookshelves are at the same quality level.
If you have selected the bookshelf speaker that you love the most, or the full range speaker you love the most, both will be enhanced by a high-quality subwoofer. Again, this depends upon your musical tastes. Obviously, bookshelf speakers require a subwoofer to fill out the frequency range, while towers may be all you need if your music doesn't go down below 35 Hz.

The caveat in all this is that a subwoofer may not be all that easy to integrate into your system. It takes time and patience, but the rewards are worth it. My main speakers had the ability to go down to 34 Hz (not a bass monster, but not shy of bass either), and I thought there was no great need for a subwoofer … until I auditioned them in my home. Wow! Lesson learned.

The bottom line is that if one requires a subwoofer, a great bookshelf speaker will cost far less than a great full-range speaker (although there are always the exception).
post #27 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
Bookshelf + sub would also work well.

Something like a pair of KEF 201/2 Reference bookshelf speakers + Subwoofer would be an option.

I think the KEF 201/2 is among the best sounding and measuring speakers in the world - ultra accurate and ultra smooth. Combine them with a great sub and you got yourself a potent high-end system.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...kef/index.html

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/kef_2012.htm
Thank you AcuDefTechGuy. That sounds tempting. I'll definitely consider the option.
post #28 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you have selected the bookshelf speaker that you love the most, or the full range speaker you love the most, both will be enhanced by a high-quality subwoofer. Again, this depends upon your musical tastes. Obviously, bookshelf speakers require a subwoofer to fill out the frequency range, while towers may be all you need if your music doesn't go down below 35 Hz.

The caveat in all this is that a subwoofer may not be all that easy to integrate into your system. It takes time and patience, but the rewards are worth it. My main speakers had the ability to go down to 34 Hz (not a bass monster, but not shy of bass either), and I thought there was no great need for a subwoofer … until I auditioned them in my home. Wow! Lesson learned.

The bottom line is that if one requires a subwoofer, a great bookshelf speaker will cost far less than a great full-range speaker (although there are always the exception).
Thanks now I got the idea. I'll definitely consider this option especially I don't want to spend too much at the moment. For the sub, if I have to upgrade, I think I'll grab one (I don't think I need two it's just my bedroom) from Rythmik (they're in austin and I contacted them previously), or Hsu, or SVS. I bought an Outlaw two months ago because it's in similar quality (designed by Dr. Hsu) and it was on sale
post #29 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
I just sold my pair of B&W 802D2 (2nd generation Diamond). I bought them brand new less than a year ago.

Now I am selling my pair of Revel Salon2. I bought them brand new about 2 years ago.
oh man, you are ...
How much do you ask for your Revel Salon2? Where's your post for it? OKC is not far I drove there a couple of months ago. Really not far given that I just drove 5000 miles one month ago to 10 national parks including yellow stone
post #30 of 58 Old 06-25-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

atx: The Outlaw is a quality sub, but there are better options. I'd say you're right on when talking Rythmik, SVS and Hsu. Jim Wilson did a comparison review between the SVS SB13-Ultra (a subwoofer I own) and the Rythmik E15HP. You can find his review here (post #102 ): Rythmik E15 vs SVS SB13 Ultra. Fortunately, you already own a decent sub, which should give you an idea of its strengths and weaknesses once you get your new speakers.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page