• 1 Post By cel4145
  • 1 Post By ScottS

post #1 of 17 Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have $1350 to spend for speakers

I'm in the market and want to purchase floor standing speakers to put in my family room. It pretty open room with hardwood floors. I do not have any equipment as of yet and plan on buying speakers first. I'm thinking 2.1 channel.

Going to use it for music, movies and xbox. Will probably get a svs sub down the line.

I'm not looking for a massive floor standing speaker and want it to look good and perform well. I'm looking to get the new monitor audio silver 6 in gloss white. I can get them for $1350 and I'm looking to see what else is there in this price range.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Great deal on these Focal Chorus: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-havana/1.html

With the savings, you could start putting money away toward your sub

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerzone9k View Post
I'm in the market and want to purchase floor standing speakers to put in my family room. It pretty open room with hardwood floors. I do not have any equipment as of yet and plan on buying speakers first. I'm thinking 2.1 channel.

Going to use it for music, movies and xbox. Will probably get a svs sub down the line.

I'm not looking for a massive floor standing speaker and want it to look good and perform well. I'm looking to get the new monitor audio silver 6 in gloss white. I can get them for $1350 and I'm looking to see what else is there in this price range.

Thanks
The PSB Image T6 speakers are the best I know of at that price. I had them for two years and they are very good.

They were chosen as speaker of the year by both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound a couple of years ago.

The list price is $1299, but Saturday Audio has them for $999.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I would take a look at the NHT Absolute Tower, it's not a full-sized tower and measures incredibly well. Also take a look at the Goldenear Triton 7 Tower, these speakers sound excellent and I am strongly considering them if I upgrade.

I'd also recommend looking at a nice pair of bookshelves instead of towers. For a tad more money you could get a pair of the Ascend Sierra-2 bookshelves which are incredible sounding. They were just released and succeed the very popular Sierra-1 bookshelves. Since you will be adding a sub, the lower extension of towers compared to bookshelves is wasted and the end result is essentially the same sound. Difference being $1350 buys you a better bookshelf than it does a tower.
bluerondo56 and kpotier16 like this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #5 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I would take a look at the NHT Absolute Tower, it's not a full-sized tower and measures incredibly well. Also take a look at the Goldenear Triton 7 Tower, these speakers sound excellent and I am strongly considering them if I upgrade.

I'd also recommend looking at a nice pair of bookshelves instead of towers. For a tad more money you could get a pair of the Ascend Sierra-2 bookshelves which are incredible sounding. They were just released and succeed the very popular Sierra-1 bookshelves. Since you will be adding a sub, the lower extension of towers compared to bookshelves is wasted and the end result is essentially the same sound. Difference being $1350 buys you a better bookshelf than it does a tower.
I'm looking forward to mine arriving. I just ordered 3 sierra 2's for lcr, and an lv12r sub. I'm going to hold off on a new avr until the atmos avr's are out. I'm thinking the denon x4100, and possibly 4 sierra 1's for heights, but will wait to see if atmos is the real deal or hype first.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
I'm looking forward to mine arriving. I just ordered 3 sierra 2's for lcr, and an lv12r sub. I'm going to hold off on a new avr until the atmos avr's are out. I'm thinking the denon x4100, and possibly 4 sierra 1's for heights, but will wait to see if atmos is the real deal or hype first.
Excellent choice! From what I can tell Atmos is probably going to be a success since Dolby is behind it.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #7 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the other recommendations. I think I'm really set on floor standing speakers. I just like the way they look. I'm leaning towards the silver 6 because they have a gloss finish and magnetic grill. Just look very clean I'm sure other speakers might sound better in the price range but will not look as nice (build quality).
post #8 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Thanks for the other recommendations. I think I'm really set on floor standing speakers. I just like the way they look. I'm leaning towards the silver 6 because they have a gloss finish and magnetic grill. Just look very clean I'm sure other speakers might sound better in the price range but will not look as nice (build quality).
Generally you need to spend quite a bit on floorstanders, personally I'd say $1000 minimum

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #9 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Monitor Audio Silver is a good option - and they can hold their own,
with a lot of speakers out there.
postrokfan likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 17 Old 06-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Second the recommendation of Golden Ear Triton 7. Go listen, let your ears decide!
post #11 of 17 Old 06-28-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Don't do 2.1 with towers. You should either do a 2.0 with the towers or a 2.1 with bookshelves. Towers are designed to have strong bass and so are subwoofers of course. This means that you would have to keep the sub volume really low to have the system sound decent, basically making the sub a waste of money.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-28-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks
Golden ear triton seven. /THREAD GAMEOVER
post #13 of 17 Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotier16 View Post
Don't do 2.1 with towers. You should either do a 2.0 with the towers or a 2.1 with bookshelves. Towers are designed to have strong bass and so are subwoofers of course. This means that you would have to keep the sub volume really low to have the system sound decent, basically making the sub a waste of money.
This is really wrong. Unless you spend a lot of money, most towers peter out well above what a decent subwoofer will bring to the table. And by limiting your towers to 60 or 80 HZ, you will take a big load off of the receiver's amps. Not just my opinion!
darthray and marquee-moon like this.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty much set on the monitor audios silver 6. They go down to 35hz and will probably get a svs sb1000 sub because it's not as massive as the pb1000. Do you guys think I should get an emotiva amp?
post #15 of 17 Old 06-29-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
I'm pretty much set on the monitor audios silver 6. They go down to 35hz and will probably get a svs sb1000 sub because it's not as massive as the pb1000. Do you guys think I should get an emotiva amp?
Might as well not bother with the amp since the sub you have picked out for yourself might not be able to keep up with your speakers as it is.

I have an SB-1000. Nice "compact" 12" sealed sub. Sounds great, but they are designed for smaller rooms and/or moderate listening volumes in a medium sized room. Sub performance is related to room size. How big your room is and how loud you listen determines what sub you need.

How big is your room (volume-cubic feet), including any open adjacent areas?
darthray likes this.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #16 of 17 Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't listened to them but... I have heard raves about the KEF LS-50. If you google them you'll see that every magazine and website offers high praise: http://www.kefdirect.com/ls50.html

I know these are minimonitors, but I think they might be worth a listen and are right at yor price point.

Scott
schowtyme likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-29-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
I haven't listened to them but... I have heard raves about the KEF LS-50. If you google them you'll see that every magazine and website offers high praise: http://www.kefdirect.com/ls50.html

I know these are minimonitors, but I think they might be worth a listen and are right at yor price point.

Scott
I have to echo what Scott said, I bought a pair of LS50s a little over a month ago from a local dealer for exactly $1350 and they are absolutely amazing. I auditioned everything I could around me (B&W, Def Tech, Martin and Logan, Polk, Klipsch) and to me they sounded like they were on a whole different level. They seem much more accurate, and the imaging for music is almost surreal (check the thread on Audiokarma for more details).

If you are going to buy the sub anyway to fill out the bass you might as well listen to a pair before you decide, I really think you will be impressed.

I've also heard the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2s are supposed to be amazing but I've never had a chance to hear them. Could be worth buying a pair and auditioning at home to see what they are like, I haven't read any posts comparing them to the Kefs though. Whatever you do, audition as many as you can, I thought I was set on the new B&Ws before I heard the LS50s.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page