x-over confirmation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
x-over confirmation

Hi! I've read lots of thread about that, so I won't ask explanation on that matter, but I just want to know if my settings are right. I got 5 small speakers min. 100Hz and a subwoofer of 24Hz-160Hz, the auto calibration has set the x-over at 80Hz... which I think is wrong since I'll lose frequencies from 80Hz to 100Hz. I set it manually to 100Hz to get all range of frequencies, but I just read on another thread that it is preferable to have a little overlap of frequency between the sub and the speakers. So should I set it to 120Hz instead ? Having only small speakers and no columns, I kind of think it is better to have it on 100Hz... give me your thoughts please. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Experiment. See what crossover setting sounds best to you. Yes, 80Hz is too low, 100-120 is probably where you want to be.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 171
What are the Make and Model numbers of your speakers?
post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If the speakers can't play below a certain frequency by all means set the crossover to a point where you're not missing frequencies. If your speakers sound good with a crossover at 100hz I would set the crossover there, because above 80hz you start to experience localization issues. Now if it was me and I knew that I would be missing out on certain frequencies, I would obviously deal some localization issues and increase the crossover. Crossing at 120hz however is getting to the point where localization becomes a real issue.

My advice would be to play around with things and go with what sounds best for you. If crossing at 120hz sounds better to you then crossing at 100hz, then go for it. I do some things with my setup that I know aren't ideal, but it sounds better to me which is really the thing that matters.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAROY View Post
Hi! I've read lots of thread about that, so I won't ask explanation on that matter, but I just want to know if my settings are right. I got 5 small speakers min. 100Hz and a subwoofer of 24Hz-160Hz, the auto calibration has set the x-over at 80Hz... which I think is wrong since I'll lose frequencies from 80Hz to 100Hz. I set it manually to 100Hz to get all range of frequencies, but I just read on another thread that it is preferable to have a little overlap of frequency between the sub and the speakers. So should I set it to 120Hz instead ? Having only small speakers and no columns, I kind of think it is better to have it on 100Hz... give me your thoughts please. Thanks !
What do you mean by over lap? With an AVR, you can't set the sub to go to 120hz and the speaker to go to 80hz. A crossover is not a brick wall filter. For example if your AVR crossover slope is 12DB per octave for the speakers and the sub, then when set at 100hz, the speaker and the sub will be down 12db at 100hz. The speaker still plays content below 100hz, but at a much lowe volume. Same goes for the sub. It plays above 100hz, but at lower volume. The goal is to get the frequency flat at the crossover point, because the SPL at the crossover is the combined speaker and sub.

Yes you will have a gap, if you cross the speaker at a lower point than it can play flat to. This point is commonly called the -3db point (f3) of the speaker. If the f3 of your speakers is 100hz, then that is where you should cross. Keep in mind, we have been talking design spec of the speaker and sub. The actual acoustic f3 of the speaker in room will be different. Often times lower.

If you do not have measurement capabilities, I would try 80hz and play music that you are very familiar with (make sure it has lots of content well below 80hz) and then try 100hz and see which you like better. Another thing to consider, once you get above 80hz, bass can start to be localized. In other words the bass will not sound like it is coming from the speakers. A way around that is to have the sub located between your two speakers or use two subs, one under each main speaker. That will help the left and right main, but will not help the surround speakers.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
What are the Make and Model numbers of your speakers?
Polk, RM6750

Overall frequency response : 100Hz-24kHz
-3dB Limits: 135Hz-20kHz

I played it first with the settings of the MCACC auto, but I wasn't satisfied with the global sound quality, since I got only small speakers, bass in the sub is kind of very important here. Settingthe x-over to 100Hz really did a great change on sound quality, but I think I'm going to do some check with the 120 just to see if it get localized ( thanks for the explanation btw, didn't know what this was at first XD )

OK, going to do some tests, thank you all for your time and advice, I'll put some result on the matter as soon as I have the time. Thanks a lot again !
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Polk, RM6750

Overall frequency response : 100Hz-24kHz
-3dB Limits: 135Hz-20kHz

I played it first with the settings of the MCACC auto, but I wasn't satisfied with the global sound quality, since I got only small speakers, bass in the sub is kind of very important here. Settingthe x-over to 100Hz really did a great change on sound quality, but I think I'm going to do some check with the 120 just to see if it get localized ( thanks for the explanation btw, didn't know what this was at first XD )

OK, going to do some tests, thank you all for your time and advice, I'll put some result on the matter as soon as I have the time. Thanks a lot again !
I started off with the Polk RM6750's I loved that 5.1 system.

Polk Recommends using a crossover of 120hz but I used 100-110hz with my setup and it sounded great.

Make sure the x-over knob on the subwoofer amp is cranked to max. and you want a LPF of 120hz
post #8 of 9 Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Make sure the x-over knob on the subwoofer amp is cranked to max. and you want a LPF of 120hz
I've already cranked the sub x-over knob to max limit, done it right after reading the manual . Thank you for the check ! As I said, I'll test it to 120Hz as soon as I can, but my amp only has presets for the x-over: 80Hz / 100Hz / 120Hz /... I'll try 120Hz and see if I like it, if not I'll drop it down to 100Hz.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Unexpected overlap between speakers can cause a bigger loss at the crossover frequency than no overlap, because at the crossover speaker the speakers are generally out of phase with each other which can lead to acoustical cancellation and audible losses.

When a system optimization routine sets a crossover frequency it does so based on what it knows which is the actual response of the speakers. It is possible for a speaker's bass response to be significantly increased by room acoustics and speaker positioning.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page