!!!AHHHH!! I'M GOING INSANE!!! Please help before my head implodes THEN explodes!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cel4145

post #1 of 18 Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy !!!AHHHH!! I'M GOING INSANE!!! Please help before my head implodes THEN explodes!!!

Would be a pretty neat site to see, huh? I am sure many of you looked like that guy to the left after shopping for speakers for...umm, ya know, months.

I like solving my own problems but I have been losing a lot of sleep. As last resort, I reserve to ask you guys for your help.

alright so I am in the market for a home theater 5.1 I listen to 50/50 movies/music. I came to realize that HT is not a poor man's game so I am trying to budget myself and not blow all my last bonus check.

I don't know the exact dimensions of my room but it opens up to the dining and the kitchen (linear) I would say the actual listening area where we sit might be 300 sq feet. Tile with large rug, not too high of ceiling.

Despite the many good used AV receiver deals, I think I will get one of the new HDMI 2.0 Yamaha or Denon receivers.

The speakers I am looking at to keep it in a reasonable budget are:

Ascend CBM 170, 340s
Epos ELS-3
Q acoustics concept 20 or 2020i
Boston Acoustic A26
Chane Arx Ar1 (backordered till Aug/Sept)
Def Tech Studio Monitor 45
Dali Zensor 1 and 3

I know the Zenor 3, QA concept 20 and Ascend 340s are in a different price point so I would like to add Monitor Audio BX2 and Focal Chorus 705V, 706V and 806V to that tier. I figured I can stretch my budget on the CLR speakers since their more important.

Used B&W 600 or Acoustic Energy 301 would be considered if a good price so feel free to suggest specific used speakers I could search for.

I know I like as neutral/natural speakers as possible. Bright highs really hurt my head/ears. Monopole all the way around until I add 7.1 in which I would get dipole...or is it bipole? whichever ones push/pull.

Eyeing the BIC F12 Sub on sale for 200. so 300-350 would be my max (unless some $2000 sub is going for 500 on audiogon)

The focals I mentioned were found on clearance for $350 a pair for 705, $500 for the 706 and $600 for the 806 so they fall in my "reasonable" budget. Only problem I have is the center speaker is 350 for the 7 series and 500 for the 8 series. I just love the way they look and I know they are a great speaker to consider but according to WHAT HIFI they are not as good as the Dalis ..maybe even the Ascends?

I don't have any way of to audition these speakers since every store around me only carry a few more mainstream brands. Plus no store will have the acoustics I have at home. I also do not have the time nor the money to be buying several sets to audition then pay shipping to return.

I would ask you guys to please give me your opinions on the speakers listed and any other speaker recommendations. Again, I like neutral/natural sounding speakers. if it sways a little to the warm or the bright side that is fine, as long as the tweeters dont make my ears bleed while listening to Rock.

Any clearance sales or used sales you know of would greatly be appreciated.

Guys, thank you for helping a fellow human being from admitting himself to the psych ward

Much obliged

Last edited by richabi; 06-30-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was in the same boat as you until this week. Obsessively researching speakers to decide upon my system. Unfortunately, I am in a lower price point so I doubt i can be of help. With that being said, I ended up with a 7.1 Polk rti system. I am waiting for my (used) Denon 1911 receiver to arrive from ebay but I tested the Polk rti8 for a few hours when i was back home and they really are great.
I have polk rti8, fxi5 and rt300 for rears. Need to pick up a csi5 still.
Also, just got a bic h100 sub today. It is great quality for the price and looks quite good.

So only real take away is consider Polk rti line and good luck! I realized there is no real answer of what are the best speakers for HT or music. There is no best speaker for the value but instead there are many. I'm sure you know the best options in your price point from your research so just go with your gut. you won't regret it.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Welcome to the hobby, it is both rewarding and maddening!

First things first, it is good you know you want a neutral speaker, this can help eliminate a couple things. I would skip Focal, they make excellent speakers yes, but I have read on numerous accounts people find the Chorus series to be a tad bright, so I would probably look elsewhere. Honestly, when I think of a neutral speaker in this range, the EMP series is hard to beat. Yes I am a homer, but the proof is in the pudding.

I would take a look at the EMP E55Ti and E56Ci, you can get the LCR set for about $1000 shipped, which seems to fall right in your budget. EMP is an Internet Direct company meaning they don't pay for advertising and don't have store markups. EMP is an offshoot of the very well known RBH Sound, which designs speakers that cost more than most people's cars. As such, the technology has trickled down and they have created some exception speakers at a very competitive price point.

The EMP sound is described as being neutral, with a very good mid-range. I myself also dislike bright speakers, and the EMP's do not fatigue me at all. They maintain their composure when you crank it up, and offer incredible dynamics and a large sound stage.

Here are a couple reviews to take a look at:

http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf...mp-e56ci-e55wi
http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/
http://www.andrew-robinson-online.co...f-loudspeaker/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker...55ti-review/2/

There is a pretty big following here at AVS, and a lot of people have done shootouts and comparisons so there is plenty to read up on. Here is the Owner's thread if you would like to peruse: **Official EMP Owner's Thread**

I would also recommend you spend more for a better sub now. A $500 sub vs a BIC F-12 is a huge difference, you get real usable 20Hz extension, articulate bass that isn't a one-note wonder, and better output. Something like a SVS PB-1000 or Rythmik LV12R would be a fantastic choice and if there is any place to spend a little extra, it's on the sub.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Isaac, tnx for the reply & suggestions. Funny you mention the RTIs. I over looked them and shouldnt have. Saw them last night and made a mental note. Glad you got your sys up n running

I'm getting to the point that I might drop the surround idea since it will be a pita to mount em in my room anyways and spend the cash on the next tier LCR and a little better sub. I could get the boston a26 for surrounds since they are the least costly option above. The surrounds in movies mostly play sound effects, correct?

Would still love to hear from those with a keen ear since I can't audition most of these speaks. What's not too bright, not too warm...aahhh just right?

Last edited by richabi; 07-02-2014 at 10:17 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dali and Epos are fairly smooth likeable speakers.
Since your not able to audition these would probably be some of the safest bets. There is no guarantee you'll like them but British speakers like Epos usually have a very pleasant enjoyable sound really not much to complain about sound wise. Dali's are Denmark but share similar traits to British speakers.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Home Theater doesn't have to be super expensive. My modest system costs $600 all told...speakers + AVR. The only thing I'm missing is the Sub and I plan to drop $300 ish on that. So my setup will be sub $1000 when I'm all done. (not counting the TV which was $1000 all by itself)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #7 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Home Theater doesn't have to be super expensive. My modest system costs $600 all told...speakers + AVR. The only thing I'm missing is the Sub and I plan to drop $300 ish on that. So my setup will be sub $1000 when I'm all done. (not counting the TV which was $1000 all by itself)
Best not to demo a nice home theatre then haha.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #8 of 18 Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

So I was about to pull the trigger on ascend system with rythmitic sub but then I ran across a good deal on mirage omd 15 towers...would these be better for my surround speakers? I know omnidirectional lack imagine and can sound a bit flat in mids as main speakers but I can't help to think they'll be awesome placed as surrounds

What y'all think?

Last edited by richabi; 07-04-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've also heard that the Mirage OMD's make good surrounds. Depends on whether towers will work for you as surrounds.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
I've also heard that the Mirage OMD's make good surrounds. Depends on whether towers will work for you as surrounds.
Agreed.

The Rythmik sub will be unbeatable at it's price, and is definitely a much better performer than cheaper subs. Don't downgrade your sub to spend a lot of money on surrounds since surrounds are mainly for fill in.
darthray likes this.

post #11 of 18 Old 07-06-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How do the EMP Tek E5 Bi bookshelfs compare to Hsu Research HB-1s? I am in a similar situation as the OP and these both seem like good value propositions for neutral speakers...
post #12 of 18 Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnik View Post
How do the EMP Tek E5 Bi bookshelfs compare to Hsu Research HB-1s? I am in a similar situation as the OP and these both seem like good value propositions for neutral speakers...
The HB-1s are horn-loaded, and will probably be less neutral than EMP. They should play a little louder and have better dynamics, but the mid-range will be superior on the EMPs, and from what I have read they image better.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #13 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Best not to demo a nice home theatre then haha.
I've demoed a few. They blew mine out of the water. No contest. But you know what? Go with what you can afford and that's pretty much the bottom line.

And even with the cheapest speakers out there and a bargain basement subwoofer, your system is going to sound 1000 times better than tv speakers and likely 10 times better than a HTiB or Soundbar.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #14 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Agreed.

The Rythmik sub will be unbeatable at it's price, and is definitely a much better performer than cheaper subs. Don't downgrade your sub to spend a lot of money on surrounds since surrounds are mainly for fill in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
That is good reassurance. Towers/speaker stands will be the best bet for my surrounds. unfortunately, i got busy with work and someone already bought the 4 that amazon had like new in their warehouse
that is the 2nd time I have had to kick myself in the ass. the first was a pair of ascend sierra 1s lnib with stands and shipping for 600.

I found a 5.0 of monitor audio radius speakers (front are towers) with bookshelf stands for 200. guy said he bought them a few years ago. they are a big ugly due to the finish he picked but whatever. I noticed the grills actually say monitor audio but all the pics Ive seen on the net have their crown looking symbol on the grills. Does this mean anything to yall?
post #15 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
I've demoed a few. They blew mine out of the water. No contest. But you know what? Go with what you can afford and that's pretty much the bottom line.

And even with the cheapest speakers out there and a bargain basement subwoofer, your system is going to sound 1000 times better than tv speakers and likely 10 times better than a HTiB or Soundbar.
I would invest in Auralex acoustic isloation pads. You can had a pair for 45 online. I would definitely get one for your sub. That will help produce more sound for you
post #16 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by richabi View Post
I would invest in Auralex acoustic isloation pads. You can had a pair for 45 online. I would definitely get one for your sub. That will help produce more sound for you
More sound???

That's a new one. (lol)

post #17 of 18 Old 07-12-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
More sound???

That's a new one. (lol)
don't those mats help the acoustics? from my understanding, depending on the set up, sound waves can seem "lost" or nor heard properly because of improper placement, room acoustics, positioning. the mats help sound waves from going all crazy like a free radical electron

am I wrong and totally noob or am is there some sense there?

and btw, I like being fresh. happy to hear that is a new one. starting a trend here haha
post #18 of 18 Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 447
What you describe is not their intended function. What they are meant to do is isolate the cabinet vibration of the speaker from the desk. Supposedly if the speaker has direct contact with the desk, it will vibrate things which will add noise to the sound. The theory of its functionality has serious problems. If stuff on your desk is vibrating because of contact with a speaker cabinet, either the desk is incredibly flimsy or the speaker is badly engineered, and the solution is to replace one or the other, not put squishy stuff between them as a workaround.
post #19 of 18 Old 07-12-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm glad you taught me that..I was about to waste my money
Reply Speakers

Tags
budget , inexpensive , soft , top

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page