• 1 Post By jrhooper1963

Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need Advice

Hi Everyone,
I am not an audiophile but love to listen to a clear nice music , I was at Magnolia a few days ago and came across Bowers and wilkins 685 S2 book shelve speakers (within my budget) , they sounded good , I actually liked the CM5gb models at $1500 but that is beyond my reach at this moment as i need to buy an amplifier (or receiver ) too , I am not familiar with any of these stuffs (audio) , and differences between Amplifiers and Receivers and Blah blah ,.
I read on bowers Thread and those Bowers Wilkins lovers and read many reviews about KEF Q300 Etc etc , I am totally confused now , I need a pair of very good speakers (book shelve size) and an amp or receiver , i listen to music about 80% of the time and 20% movies .
is there anyone out there who can help me please ? i rather go somewhere and listen to them instead of buying them online (i will do that if no choice though) , I reside in Orange County ,CALIFORNIA.

I very much appreciate your help on this matter.

Thanks again
Nik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 170
What's your budget???

In Orange County there is a VERY highly recommended
And popular speaker company.

Ascend Acoustics... Call them and make an appointment
To listen to their bookshelf speaker line up.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com

I own a pair of their Sierra One's.
kpotier16 and nik 59 like this.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much , I have been looking for an audio store in OC , could not find any ,other than Magnolia (best buy ) and Fry's which is so bad , I will look into your site and will go visit them this week end.

What do you think of Bowers and Wilkins ? I was there again at Magnolia today , I really love how they sound but for a pair of bookshelf speakers at $1500 , is it really worth that much ?

Thank you again
Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Nothing at all wrong with B&W, and the 685 S2's are very nice bookshelf speakers. If you're happy with how they sound, go for them. Don't get caught up in trying to find THE perfect speaker in your budget. There's no such thing. It's also a very subjective thing. What sounds great to one, is so-so to another. The 685 will sound great for music, but will benefit from a good subwoofer for movies. Don't be afraid to haggle if you decide on the B&W's from Magnolia. You should get them to discount between 10%-15%. Don't let them try and sell you fancy cables or speaker wire, waste of money.
quad4.0 likes this.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks crn,
As i mentioned earlier i checked Magnolia again and really like their CM5GB ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bowers-and-wilkins-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-painted-gloss-black/1279177.p?id=1218246671747&skuId=1279177&st=pcmcat 223500050004_categoryid$abcat0205001&cp=1&lp=4) .
Have you listen to them ? I know many people talk about "why paying that much for B&W while u can buy such and such brands of speaker ... I am totally lost in all these forums ,AVSFORUM , WHAT HIFI ,soundandvision and many other sites as everyone is talking about different brands that i never ever heard their name .
I really would like to know anybody's opinion about a pair of speakers (Max $1500 , lower better ) and a good amp or receiver (which i am not familiar with this one either , PIONNER , DENON , MARRANTZ , YAMAHA oh boy .

I am totally confused now please help

regards
Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
If you are considering the B&W CM5, then please go to Ascend Acoustics and listen to their new Sierra-2 bookshelf. This is an impressive speaker, and from what I have read on them, they seem to be the speaker to beat at this price point. They have the very highly regarded RAAL tweeter, and come in a variety of high quality finishes. If you are spending this much, I would recommend listening to a few different speakers before you buy.
nik 59 likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I previously had the b&w 685, the Sierra 1 is
A much nicer sounding speaker. IMHO

I listened to the CM5 too, it's a very nice speaker.
But,again I think the Sierra 1 or 2 is a better speaker
And probably a better value.

Yes, they are that good!
nik 59 likes this.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

WOW , I guess Sierra by Ascend is getting thumbs up and is pretty popular here , I will go to their manufacturing site hopefully soon and let you all know , btw , what about receiver ? get an amp or buy a receiver ?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

An AVR is probably the most bang for your buck. You get bass management, room correction, plenty of connections, and the ability to expand to a surround setup or install a second speaker zone.

Right now the Denon AVR-X2000 is $399.99 on Amazon, it is a very good deal and offers incredible value.
nik 59 likes this.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
An AVR is probably the most bang for your buck. You get bass management, room correction, plenty of connections, and the ability to expand to a surround setup or install a second speaker zone.

Right now the Denon AVR-X2000 is $399.99 on Amazon, it is a very good deal and offers incredible value.
Thanks Trans , So that Denon is best out there for the money ? I know it is discontinued by Denon and replaced by Denon AVR-X2100W , which have Bluetooth capability too .
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik 59 View Post
Thanks Trans , So that Denon is best out there for the money ? I know it is discontinued by Denon and replaced by Denon AVR-X2100W , which have Bluetooth capability too .
Unless you need HDMI 2.0 for 4K content, then it's not worth an extra $300.
nik 59 likes this.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

No I really don't need that all i need is a good sound processro which you suggested that Denon .
Thanks so much and happy 4th .
Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You can also try here for an AVR, they are an authorized online retailer for refurbished units and members have had nice luck with them. I think you can get an extended warranty too for peace of mind if you would like. www.accessories4less.com. They carry Denon, Onkyo and Marantz(maybe Yamaha too, can't remember).
nik 59 likes this.

Cliff
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I am not an audiophile but love to listen to a clear nice music , I was at Magnolia a few days ago and came across Bowers and wilkins 685 S2 book shelve speakers (within my budget) , they sounded good , I actually liked the CM5gb models at $1500 but that is beyond my reach at this moment as i need to buy an amplifier (or receiver ) too , I am not familiar with any of these stuffs (audio) , and differences between Amplifiers and Receivers and Blah blah ,.
I read on bowers Thread and those Bowers Wilkins lovers and read many reviews about KEF Q300 Etc etc , I am totally confused now , I need a pair of very good speakers (book shelve size) and an amp or receiver , i listen to music about 80% of the time and 20% movies .
is there anyone out there who can help me please ? i rather go somewhere and listen to them instead of buying them online (i will do that if no choice though) , I reside in Orange County ,CALIFORNIA.

I very much appreciate your help on this matter.

Thanks again
Nik
I picked a pair of open box BW 685s from best buy few months ago. I agree with you that CM5s are slightly better but IMO not worth $850 difference in MSRP. I compared them with others at Magnolia like Def Tech, ML, Energy and found them to be most balanced. I can't comment on Sierras as I have never heard them but 685s are great speakers in their own right. Initially I was planning to buy Aperion Grand Verus and KEFs and compare them at home but as I got a good deal on 685s, I didn't bothered with them.

My usage is similar to yours and I power them with my old Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR along with a Polk sub.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Exactly , that is my thought too for $800 Extra ? Anyhow i am going to see Sierras this coming week and make a decision ,Sierra 2 are about the same price range $1500 , i may go for sierra 1 once i hear them.
Thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[QUOTE=nik 59;25489578]Exactly , that is my thought too for $800 Extra ? Anyhow i am going to see Sierras this coming week and make a decision ,Sierra 2 are about the same price range $1500 , i may go for sierra 1 once i hear them.
T

I have had Sierra One book shelf speakers in my system for six years now.

In that period I have changed and or upgraded electronics a few times. However, I have never felt the urge to change from the Sierra Ones, to a different type or brand of speaker. They are an outstanding loudspeaker at their given price point.
nik 59 likes this.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=jrhooper1963;25492466]
Quote:
Exactly , that is my thought too for $800 Extra ? Anyhow i am going to see Sierras this coming week and make a decision ,Sierra 2 are about the same price range $1500 , i may go for sierra 1 once i hear them.
T

I have had Sierra One book shelf speakers in my system for six years now.

In that period I have changed and or upgraded electronics a few times. However, I have never felt the urge to change from the Sierra Ones, to a different type or brand of speaker. They are an outstanding loudspeaker at their given price point.
Guys, Thanks for all your help,
I went to ascendaccoustics in san clemente , super nice people , tested the Sierra 1 , good quality speaker , tried Sierra 2 and that WAS something else a WOW ..
They showed me my choices as of cabinet color choices and offered me free shipping , this is my final decision because of their HIGH QUALITY Speakers and also being local i would rather support them than china made stuffs .

Thank you all specially Darkpoet25 for introducing me to these wonderful people at ascend .

God Bless you all.
Nik
Old 07-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[quote=nik 59;26050066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
Guys, Thanks for all your help,
I went to ascendaccoustics in san clemente , super nice people , tested the Sierra 1 , good quality speaker , tried Sierra 2 and that WAS something else a WOW ..
They showed me my choices as of cabinet color choices and offered me free shipping , this is my final decision because of their HIGH QUALITY Speakers and also being local i would rather support them than china made stuffs .

Thank you all specially Darkpoet25 for introducing me to these wonderful people at ascend .

God Bless you all.
Nik

Then I take it you had the pleasure of meeting Dave Fabrikant, the owner of Ascend Acoustics.

I have talked to Dave several times on the phone. He once even emailed me on a Sunday night, when I had a technical question about my Sierra Ones. Quality company and people for sure !!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
They have the very highly regarded RAAL tweeter, and come in a variety of high quality finishes. If you are spending this much, I would recommend listening to a few different speakers before you buy.[IMG]http://*******/Ffva1z[/IMG]