AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Office (work) iPod Dock (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1588297-office-work-ipod-dock.html)

Alan P 07-02-2014 10:49 AM

Office (work) iPod Dock
 
Hey All,

I like to listen to my iPod at my desk at work. I can't listen very loud since there isn't a door on my office, so whatever I get needs to sound good at lower volumes.

Here's my dilemma - I've had a wonderful iPod dock for the last 6-7 years, the Logitech Audiostation (paid about $100, no longer made) and I guess I've been spoiled by the sound because the newer ones I've tried to replace it with just aren't cutting it.

The Audiostation has an issue with the volume control - it works for awhile, but then it will get stuck on a setting and can't be changed unless I unplug it. This is the reason I'm looking for something else - but from what I've heard in my price range (~$100-$150) I may just keep it and put up with the issue.

I recently tried 2 new docks;
The Phillips Fidelio DS8550. Very weak bass, sounds "tinny". Running it side-by-side with the Logitech there's just no comparison.
The Vizio VSD210. Maybe than the Logitech.

Both of these docks got mostly excellent reviews, but I guess I'm pickier than most. Can anyone recommend a decent sounding iPod dock that won't break the bank? Is the Bose (at $300) worth it (I've always thought of Bose as overpriced, boutique gear)?

I may just take a chance on one of the used Audiostations at Amazon.....

Transmaniacon 07-02-2014 11:01 AM

How about a pair of compact bookshelves and a small T-amp. The sound quality will be much better, it will sound better at lower volumes, and you can upgrade it in the future and not have to replace everything.

Micca MB42X: These are some great little bookshelf speakers. They are compact, offer good sound, and are very affordable.

Lepai-2020A+: This is a great little T-amp that will drive the speakers well. They are very efficient and stay cool, and allows you to hook up whatever kind of source you want, instead of being limited to an iPod with a dock.

3.5mm to RCA: This is the cable you would run from the iPod to the T-amp.

For about $100, you get a very nice little 2.0 desktop system for your office. The sound will be much better than an iPod dock, you could hook up your computer to it if you wanted, and if you ever want nicer speakers or a sub, you have that option.

Alan P 07-02-2014 11:57 AM

Thanks Transmaniacon! That does look like a sweet setup and a great alternative to the dock. I didn't know those little amps were so cheap...with bass and treble controls even! :)

Do you know; instead of using the 3.5mm to RCA cable, is there a dock I could use that would charge my iPod at the same time as feeding it's signal to the amp? With that setting on top of the amp I think that would be an excellent desk top setup.

Transmaniacon 07-02-2014 12:11 PM

You could buy a little powered dock like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PIDOCK1-U...J7CP1V4S57VZMH

But it would be just as easy to get a USB power cable and leave it next to your amp, and then just plug in the power and 3.5mm.

Alan P 07-02-2014 12:25 PM

That's funny...after about 30 mins of Googling, I found that exact same dock. :)

From doing a bit of reading it sounds like the sound quality is better from the dock connector than from the headphone jack....? I think I'm gonna give that little Pyle dock a shot.

Thanks for all the help!

Alan P 07-02-2014 03:33 PM

Just ordered up the amp and speakers you recommended, along with that iPod dock from Amazon. Thanks again Transmaniacon!

I'll let you know how it sounds once I get it all set up in my office.

Transmaniacon 07-03-2014 05:35 AM

Awesome should work well for you.

Alan P 07-07-2014 04:56 PM

Got all the pieces in over the weekend and set up in my office this morning. Sounds awesome! Thanks again Transmaniacon! (Keep in mind, I know good sound...I've got $20K worth of speakers in my living room. ;) )

I can't believe the sound quality you can get these days for ~$100...definitely better than any iPod dock anywhere near that price. :rolleyes:

At low volumes, this little office setup kicks a**! I can bottom out the drivers (or maybe I was clipping the amp) when I crank it up with the bass on the amp maxed out (had to try it once), but since that would be frowned upon in my office I won't have to worry about any more max output testing. :)

I can heartily recommend this little system for anyone looking for an alternative to all the cr*ppy iPod docks out there....very nice little setup indeed, just as long as you don't plan on cranking it (way) up. ;)


EDIT: Oops, typo! That would be $10K worth of speakers, not $20K. :o

Transmaniacon 07-08-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan P (Post 25561666)
Got all the pieces in over the weekend and set up in my office this morning. Sounds awesome! Thanks again Transmaniacon! (Keep in mind, I know good sound...I've got $20K worth of speakers in my living room. ;) )

I can't believe the sound quality you can get these days for ~$100...definitely better than any iPod dock anywhere near that price. :rolleyes:

At low volumes, this little office setup kicks a**! I can bottom out the drivers (or maybe I was clipping the amp) when I crank it up with the bass on the amp maxed out (had to try it once), but since that would be frowned upon in my office I won't have to worry about any more max output testing. :)

I can heartily recommend this little system for anyone looking for an alternative to all the cr*ppy iPod docks out there....very nice little setup indeed, just as long as you don't plan on cranking it (way) up. ;)


EDIT: Oops, typo! That would be $10K worth of speakers, not $20K. :o

Awesome! For an office or nearfield setup, it's hard to beat the value of those little t-amps. Glad you are enjoying it :)

Alan P 07-14-2014 04:08 PM

After living with this setup for a week or so, I think I need a subwoofer. ;)

Looking at The Dayton Sub-800. Any other recommendations? Are there smaller subs I could look at?

I don't want to piss off my office mates, but I'd like a little more bass at low volumes.

charmerci 07-14-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan P (Post 25742241)

I don't want to piss off my office mates, but I'd like a little more bass at low volumes.

Don't forget the office parties....

PinkFloydQ 07-14-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan P (Post 25742241)
After living with this setup for a week or so, I think I need a subwoofer. ;)

Looking at The Dayton Sub-800. Any other recommendations? Are there smaller subs I could look at?

I don't want to piss off my office mates, but I'd like a little more bass at low volumes.

I personally own the dayton sub800

I stole it at 60$,it will certainly add more to your speakers even at low volumes, all though u won't necessarily 'feel the bass' (at office listening levels) But u can very well tell the difference it makes.

Transmaniacon 07-15-2014 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan P (Post 25742241)
After living with this setup for a week or so, I think I need a subwoofer. ;)

Looking at The Dayton Sub-800. Any other recommendations? Are there smaller subs I could look at?

I don't want to piss off my office mates, but I'd like a little more bass at low volumes.

The SUB-800 is probably the best low cost option, if you wanted something nicer that will sound better, the Outlaw M8 is fantastic.

Alan P 07-15-2014 08:10 AM

Thanks guys!

Anyone know the physical measurements of the D-800? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Transmaniacon 07-15-2014 08:16 AM

Dimensions: 12-3/4" H x 12-3/16" W x 14-3/8" D

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-627

Alan P 07-15-2014 08:38 AM

How the heck did I miss that!

:o

That's too big, won't fit under my desk. I only got about 10". Wait...let me actually measure.

Alan P 07-15-2014 08:41 AM

Yup, 10.25" is all I got.

Transmaniacon 07-15-2014 08:54 AM

You will be hard pressed to find something that small, maybe try Craigslist for a used DefTech SuperCube, I see them on there often and they will be small enough.

Alan P 07-15-2014 08:56 AM

I posted in the subwoofer section to see what the bassheads think. ;)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post25759433

AACK! I typo-ed the title! I hate it when I do that.

Alan P 07-21-2014 12:49 PM

OK, got the sub in and set up, sounds great!

Now I'm looking for some desktop speaker stands....apparently hard to find affordable ones though. I've got my speakers help up temporarily with some empty DVD spindle covers and they sound much better up off the desk with the tweeters at ear height.

I found these Wood Technology stands, but they apparently don't make the shorter stands anymore. Anyone have any suggestions for some nice stands that are 6" - 8" tall?

Alan P 07-29-2014 10:08 PM

A little update on the desktop system:

I'm loving this little sub in my office (I ended up with a Pinnacle Subsonic at an unbelievable price)! No complaints from the neighbors yet...it has such tight, controlled bass that I don't think it travels very much. On the other hand, my boss (office next door) has a super crappy little sub hooked up to his PC and the rumble carries into my office something horrible! Every time he's watching a YouTube video my Sub-Spidey Sense goes through the roof! ;)

With my little Micca bookshelf speakers, the Lepai 2020A T-amp and this Subsonic, the music is clear, well-defined, articulate, balanced, has great bass...and at low volume, near-field, I swear it could almost compete with my home system (KHorns + quad PSAs). I find myself staying late at work just to see what the next song coming up on "shuffle" might be. :)

Color me impressed!

P.S. I ended up getting these stands, they put the tweeters at the perfect height and seem to improve the bass response a bit. Doesn't hurt that they also look way cool. :)

Transmaniacon 07-30-2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan P (Post 26147954)
A little update on the desktop system:

I'm loving this little sub in my office (I ended up with a Pinnacle Subsonic at an unbelievable price)! No complaints from the neighbors yet...it has such tight, controlled bass that I don't think it travels very much. On the other hand, my boss (office next door) has a super crappy little sub hooked up to his PC and the rumble carries into my office something horrible! Every time he's watching a YouTube video my Sub-Spidey Sense goes through the roof! ;)

With my little Micca bookshelf speakers, the Lepai 2020A T-amp and this Subsonic, the music is clear, well-defined, articulate, balanced, has great bass...and at low volume, near-field, I swear it could almost compete with my home system (KHorns + quad PSAs). I find myself staying late at work just to see what the next song coming up on "shuffle" might be. :)

Color me impressed!

P.S. I ended up getting these stands, they put the tweeters at the perfect height and seem to improve the bass response a bit. Doesn't hurt that they also look way cool. :)

Glad you are enjoying everything! With the rise of these little affordable t-amps, it's very easy to put together a great sounding nearfield setup. :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.