In ceiling speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In ceiling speakers

I have redone my family room and I'm looking for 5 in ceiling speakers. In walls are not an option. I have been looking at enclosed ones for the 3 fronts like the PSB C-LCR or the Totem Tribe Kin. Def Tech, JBL and Triad also sell the same kind.

Is there anyone out there that has this type of speaker and if so, can I get your thoughts and impressions. It's hard to audition these types because hardly any stores have them installed so that's why I'm asking. I'm leaning towards the PSB's right now for the simple fact that they are a good company with a solid reputation and I've listened to their Imagine line which I believe use the same drivers as the C-LCR's.

Room is 3000 cuft and I was planning on getting a SVS SB-13 Ultra sub to handle the bass.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber88 View Post
I have redone my family room and I'm looking for 5 in ceiling speakers. In walls are not an option. I have been looking at enclosed ones for the 3 fronts like the PSB C-LCR or the Totem Tribe Kin. Def Tech, JBL and Triad also sell the same kind.

Is there anyone out there that has this type of speaker and if so, can I get your thoughts and impressions. It's hard to audition these types because hardly any stores have them installed so that's why I'm asking. I'm leaning towards the PSB's right now for the simple fact that they are a good company with a solid reputation and I've listened to their Imagine line which I believe use the same drivers as the C-LCR's.

Room is 3000 cuft and I was planning on getting a SVS SB-13 Ultra sub to handle the bass.

Thanks
I just purchased and installed 2 paradigm sa-15 sm. it's basically a bipole in ceiling for my surrounds. I have a set of paradigm signature 6's on the front end.

My thoughts in ceiling speakers are this. Avoid them by in large if you can. I am very happy with the in ceiling rears and do quite a great job overall. However, the sound still sounds like it is coming from above you. Sometimes that good (airplanes flying overhead) sometimes it's not (people talking behind you). Mine being bipole and firing along the side walls does a good job at creating a diffuse sound but the sound placement would be much better if the speakers were lower.

In ceiling were my only option for rears as I had a hallway door on one side wall and pretty much nothing on the other side. In my room, if I could have avoided them I would have. It was either surround with less than ideal placement or nothing at all.

All that being said, especially considering front soundstage, if one can completely avoid in ceilings for the front I would do it. A small, high quality bookshelf (perhaps mount to the wall if you have to) in my opinion would be better then in ceilings. Granted if in ceilings are THE only thing that will work for you then they are better than tv speakers.

Haven't heard the psb in ceilings but I am sure they are fine.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page