MB Quart Clearance Vera Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By majek 60
  • 2 Post By majek 60
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
azisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MB Quart Clearance Vera Speakers

Not what I expected to be my first post, but this is killing me.

I just heard about the sell off of the MB Quart Home speakers and I love them. Problem is all they have left is the center channel, VS1CM and subwoofer, VS1SWM. If there were L/R speakers available to go with the center I would have already purchased. I emailed tech support and asked about removing the stand from the center speaker. I received a reply stating that the stand's mounting holes would be visible. After a day of thinking I realized I can live with the small hopefully not very noticeable patches that would have to me made.

I just need a little verification that these will work fine as L/R speakers and will I be able to find adequately timber matched surrounds for them. Should I consider the AS-B1PB shelf/effects speaker from their Alexxa series?

Any MB Quart owners out there please help. I really want to make these work as I will don't think I will have the opportunity to purchase speakers of this caliber within my price range again.

Any opinions? I am chomping on the bit.
azisme is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
azisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just found a thread with pictures of the VS05B L/R speakers that go with the center: http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/v...=7756&start=60
They look so much nicer than using 3 center speakers, and they were less money than 2 centers. But of course they are gone. Am I making the right choice?

Anyone considering selling their VS05B's in Maple?
azisme is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,849
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Start with this post here - and follow on down - The Vera line is real good
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ml#post1029291

I would use the Alexxa B1 bookshelf speakers as surrounds

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #4 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
azisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Start with this post here - and follow on down - The Vera line is real good
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ml#post1029291

I would use the Alexxa B1 bookshelf speakers as surrounds
Thanks zieg for your super quick response. The link was all I needed to pull the trigger. I purchased the B1 surrounds as well which pushed me a bit over my budget. Total was $1840 with shipping <ouch> for original retail value of about $7900 <woo-hoo>

Psyched and nervous at the same time. BTW this is an upgrade from Polk Monitor 60's with 40's for surround. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 rated at 130W RMS so it should be a good match for the MB Quarts.

Wow, just noticed I have been lurking for 6 years without a post, Sort of the silent type I guess.
azisme is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,849
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by azisme View Post
BTW this is an upgrade from Polk Monitor 60's with 40's for surround. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 rated at 130W RMS so it should be a good match for the MB Quarts.

Wow, just noticed I have been lurking for 6 years without a post, Sort of the silent type I guess.
You broke the silence in a big way!

Compared to them Polks, you are in for a big ear and eye opener - enjoy the adventure!

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
lulimet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So Azisme, do you have an update? Did you get them yet? What do you think of them?
I am curious to know what you think of them. I have 4 VS05Bs and a VS01C.
lulimet is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Member
 
majek 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks to lulimet, I was able to score 3 pairs of these book shelf Vera's.

Here they are in my HT, also using 2 as the surrounds in the 5.1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vera ht.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	213553  
Transmaniacon and zieglj01 like this.
majek 60 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,849
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by majek 60 View Post
Thanks to lulimet, I was able to score 3 pairs of these book shelf Vera's.

Here they are in my HT, also using 2 as the surrounds in the 5.1
That really looks good - now tell us, how do they sound?

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #9 of 14 Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
how do the floor standing speakers compare to Bowers CM8 or CM series?
Cuadros86 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Member
 
majek 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I reviewed them in detail over at The Audio Annex, however it has been sometime now and I love them.

Their detail is amazing. To be honest, it took sometime to get used to them, at first they seemed very bright, but really not that harsh. Extremely clear......

For Stereo Music Listening, they are fabulous. I run them with Dual PSA XS 30 Subs and my room is treated. For Blu Ray movies and concerts they are also awesome!

I drive them with B&K Components 125W Power Amps and cross them at 80Hz.

They were a steal for $450/Pair.

All thanks go out to lulimet for bringing these to my (our) attention!
lulimet and zieglj01 like this.
majek 60 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by majek 60 View Post
I reviewed them in detail over at The Audio Annex, however it has been sometime now and I love them.

Their detail is amazing. To be honest, it took sometime to get used to them, at first they seemed very bright, but really not that harsh. Extremely clear......

For Stereo Music Listening, they are fabulous. I run them with Dual PSA XS 30 Subs and my room is treated. For Blu Ray movies and concerts they are also awesome!

I drive them with B&K Components 125W Power Amps and cross them at 80Hz.

They were a steal for $450/Pair.

All thanks go out to lulimet for bringing these to my (our) attention!
Thanks, i'm really tempted to pick it up a pair! How did you get them for so cheap? Right now is $630/pair without shipping.
Cuadros86 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 08-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Member
 
majek 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuadros86 View Post
Thanks, i'm really tempted to pick it up a pair! How did you get them for so cheap? Right now is $630/pair without shipping.
The ones that I have are the Bookshelf Vera's, not the towers.
majek 60 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My wife just surprised me with a pair of the floor speakers. Haven't received them yet but should next week. Stoked as this is my first pair of floors. Sporting a Bowers CM1 center, def tech studio 55 bookshelf and now MB floors.
Cuadros86 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 08-23-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,849
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuadros86 View Post
My wife just surprised me with a pair of the floor speakers. Haven't received them yet but should next week. Stoked as this is my first pair of floors. Sporting a Bowers CM1 center, def tech studio 55 bookshelf and now MB floors.
That is cool - While the B&W center can hold you - I would be on the look-out for an MB Quart center channel

Enjoy the adventure

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off