• 1 Post By Reference_head

post #1 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Looking to downsize - KHorns to ???

I've had my Kilpschorns for over 20 years now and have mostly loved the sound they produce. However, in my current (and most likely last) home, they just don't work as well as I think they could; not enough corner on one side (I am aware that I could build a false wall on the one side, but that wouldn't pass WAF), and they're not far enough apart for proper imaging (15' apart, MLP 17' away - and yes I'm aware, and have tried decoupling and spinning the tops to point at the MLP...that ain't passing WAF either).

My system is used for probably 60% movies and 40% music and think I would really appreciate the better imaging I could get with more flexible speaker placement. My MLP is just a bit off center and with the KHorns stuck in the corners as they are the imaging is slightly off.

The bass from the KHorns in my room leaves something to be desired as well, but I have that covered with 4 subs. I was also thinking that if the KHorns were gone I could corner-load my front subs (actually, all 4 are now stacked up front).

Assuming I can sell the KHorns for around $2K, what could I get for around $3K that wouldn't be a complete let down after listening to the KHorns for so long?

Or, should I just keep 'em and quit thinking "the grass is greener" on the other side?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Tossing ideas to the wall to see if it sticks....

What if you dropped down to some LaScalas and added a subwoofer?
Reference_head likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ummm...I already have a subwoofer, 4 actually.

I was thinking more along the lines of some really nice bookshelf speakers. Ascend maybe...? Maybe even some floorstanders...RF7iis?
post #4 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just FYI - I have a RC64ii center that I'm really happy with.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Ummm...I already have a subwoofer, 4 actually.
I was thinking more along the lines of some really nice bookshelf speakers. Ascend maybe...? Maybe even some floorstanders...RF7iis?
You probably won't be happy with speakers that aren't high sensitivity after having KHorns. That leaves either Klipsch Heresy, JTRs or DIY. Since you have subs there's nothing to be gained with floor standers, nor any of the non-vintage Klipsch models, which are not high sensitivity.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That's gonna be tough. Everything will be a little bit of a let down.
That said, for the money you wish to spend I'd listen to PSB and Paradigm speakers. Excellent audiophile speakers for not that much money.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I agree with Bill F. You would likely not be satisfied with a conventional dome speaker. If you are open to the idea of DIY, you can get the sensitivity, and SPL benefits of the KlipschHorn in a much smaller and easier to place cabinet tv going with a Seos design such as the Fusion-12 Tempest. Cost would be around $400 each, and they come in a kit form that you can assemble with relative ease. They would actually sound really nice and might have a slightly better SQ as far as the top end, detail, and clarity are concerned.

If you want to try a conventional design just to see if you like it, you can get the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers or Philharmonic 2's for under $3k that will pretty much sleigh everything in its price range in a normal sized room at regular listening levels, and you can return them with a 30 day money back guarantee in case they aren't your cup if tea!
post #8 of 18 Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
I've had my Kilpschorns for over 20 years now and have mostly loved the sound they produce. However, in my current (and most likely last) home, they just don't work as well as I think they could; not enough corner on one side (I am aware that I could build a false wall on the one side, but that wouldn't pass WAF), and they're not far enough apart for proper imaging (15' apart, MLP 17' away - and yes I'm aware, and have tried decoupling and spinning the tops to point at the MLP...that ain't passing WAF either).

My system is used for probably 60% movies and 40% music and think I would really appreciate the better imaging I could get with more flexible speaker placement. My MLP is just a bit off center and with the KHorns stuck in the corners as they are the imaging is slightly off.

The bass from the KHorns in my room leaves something to be desired as well, but I have that covered with 4 subs. I was also thinking that if the KHorns were gone I could corner-load my front subs (actually, all 4 are now stacked up front).

Assuming I can sell the KHorns for around $2K, what could I get for around $3K that wouldn't be a complete let down after listening to the KHorns for so long?

Or, should I just keep 'em and quit thinking "the grass is greener" on the other side?

I used to have K-horns, and you really need about 6 feet of clear wall on either side of the corner for each one or they don't work well at all. Those walls effectively form the radiating surface that is required, and since you don't have it the K-horns are emasculated.

I recommend that you get a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers and put them on either side of the TV. They need to be about 14-16 inches from the rear wall.

Also get a PSB Image C5 or C4 center speaker to go with them.

Those are excellent speakers, and they will give you everything down to almost 40 Hz, and the subs will do the lowest frequencies.

Those will cost you less than $2000 for the 3 speakers. I had them for two years and they were excellent; very clear and powerful.

I think they will actually sound better than the setup you have now, since the K-horns are not setup properly.

Put the subs right in the front corners, where the K-horns are shown now.

Nothing comes close to the 100 db/watt sensitivity of the K-horns, of course, but the less expensive Klipsch speakers don't sound good at all to me, and the PSB speakers can be driven by almost any receiver or amplifier except some flea-power 5 watt tube thing. Their sensitivity is good.

I would also recommend my current speakers, which are fabulous, but $6500 for a pair of Vandersteen Treos is apparently not what you are budgeting for. They also have poor sensitivity and require serious power amps.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-04-2014 at 02:36 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-04-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Just FYI - I have a RC64ii center that I'm really happy with.
You have the 64ii so I would say the 7s would fit perfect. They won't be as good as your khorns but they are still very nice.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #10 of 18 Old 07-04-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want an upgrade and like the klipsch sound. Look at the pro line. They don't have the greatest looks but the performance is unmatched as far as klipsch goes.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #11 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Too bad you can't shuffle the gear around so that the KHorns are on the 20' wall on the left. That would be a perfect spread.

post #12 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you will regret selling them imo.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
I think you will regret selling them imo.
I don't. KHorns are as large as they are and require corner loading to go to 40Hz with 100dB sensitivity. Since he doesn't use them to 40Hz he doesn't need their size nor does he need to corner load. But I would stay with a 70Hz capable cab with legitimate 98dB or higher sensitivity. As for the sound of the KHorn, it's only below 80Hz that it's something special. Above 80Hz it's actually a bit of a relic, many modern options are much better.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea yea I know Klipsch should close the doors and stop making speakers.
psgcdn likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
You probably won't be happy with speakers that aren't high sensitivity after having KHorns. That leaves either Klipsch Heresy, JTRs or DIY.
Fwiw, I can't imagine going from the K-horn to the Heresy and being happy regardless of subwooferage...That said, I agree that the LaScala may work if the OP wanted to stay in the Klipsch Heritage line. I own the RF-7s and am very happy with them but think the larger Heritage speakers would be an upgrade.

I have seen a couple of people on the Klipsch Forum that have gone from K-horn to RF-7s and seem pleased but I have also seen folks go from the Klipsch THX line to those JTRs and they post on the latters owner's thread with good results. {Note: I have heard all of the Klipsch speakers above, but not the JTRs}

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 07-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 03:54 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
Too bad you can't shuffle the gear around so that the KHorns are on the 20' wall on the left.
This ^

I've got speaker suggestions too, but symmetrical Left Right loudspeaker set-up should be priority one. Regardless what product you buy, the manner in which the mains perform and radiate their energy into the room will be negatively affected.

It's the starting point for any room/system setup. If at all possible, you must employ left-right symmetry.

Food for thought;
In that room, place the display and mains on the long wall, where the coach is. The couch could either go where the display is or by the front window. Both the MLP1/MLP2 could be out in the middle, that encounters even more benefits with a bigger space behind the LP, ... which is always helpful.

I'd examine JTR's passive or Seaton's actives, either way, you can't go wrong IMO for HT and music.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #17 of 18 Old 07-06-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I suggest joining the 20th century in speaker design. Drivers are a lot better than they were. VASTLLY better than the ones used 30 or 40 years ago. If you have subs, you don't need to be using all the corner tricks the K-horn did for you, as that was all about bass distortion. If you love the horn sound, look into GedLee. Want something cheaper? How about Behringer Truth? Not kidding.

Also consider managing the room short reflections. That is where you gain the most in image control.

PS: I build my own speakers, so I don't know the market well. My usual advice is to tell people to listen to a Vanderstein 2Ce as the do-no-wrong standard. Then decide from there.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
I suggest joining the 20th century in speaker design.
KHorns were designed in the 20th century.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page