post #1 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advice Plz - Pioneer FS52's or JBL Loft 50

My receiver is a Denon X2000
I haven't decided on a sub yet...but Klipsch Sub 12 is the last resort

So I am just curious...I recently purchased a pair of FS52's for $130 total ($65 ea). I think the speakers sound phenomenal. I just hooked them up, make some minor adjustments, and they sounded great to me. I am not an audiophile though. I didn't even run Audyssey or whatever since I'll be moving soon.

So apparently the JBL Loft 50's went on sale at frys last night down from $450 to $150 for a pair. I couldn't help myself, had to purchase a set. I have no idea how these will sound compared to my Pioneers. I am also concerned a bit about quality. Lastly, do I really need floorstanding speakers with a 6.5in sub if I am going to be adding a subwoofer to the system anyway? Will the sub's on the JBL's subs even be used once I set the crossover for the powered sub? Or will that be working on the 80hz and up stuff into the midrange?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sHockz View Post

So I am just curious...I recently purchased a pair of FS52's for $130 total ($65 ea). I think the speakers sound phenomenal. I just hooked them up, make some minor adjustments, and they sounded great to me. I am not an audiophile though. I didn't even run Audyssey or whatever since I'll be moving soon.

So apparently the JBL Loft 50's went on sale at frys last night down from $450 to $150 for a pair. I couldn't help myself, had to purchase a set. I have no idea how these will sound compared to my Pioneers. I am also concerned a bit about quality. Lastly, do I really need floorstanding speakers with a 6.5in sub if I am going to be adding a subwoofer to the system anyway? Will the sub's on the JBL's subs even be used once I set the crossover for the powered sub? Or will that be working on the 80hz and up stuff into the midrange?
If one could, or if people in general, did buy speakers based on specs there would be a whole less manufacturers than there are.

The Loft 50s look sorta good on paper, but we don't listen to paper. They are obviously being closed out. Might be because they didn't sell. Might have been pricey at the original price. Who knows?

As far as your question about whether the woofers would be used if there were a subwoofer in the system, its diffciult to tell because JBL doesn't seem to document the crossover frequencies for these speakers. I'd guess that the woofers are crossed over to the mids at a few 100 Hz so they would still be used even if there was a subwoofer in the system, but I'm just guessing.

Last edited by arnyk; 07-04-2014 at 06:40 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Haven't heard anything about the JBL Loft's. The Pioneers, on the other hand, are highly regarded as one of the best bang for your buck budget speakers available.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
If one could, or if people in general, did buy speakers based on specs there would be a whole less manufacturers than there are.

The Loft 50s look sorta good on paper, but we don't listen to paper. They are obviously being closed out. Might be because they didn't sell. Might have been pricey at the original price. Who knows?

As far as your question about whether the woofers would be used if there were a subwoofer in the system, its diffciult to tell because JBL doesn't seem to document the crossover frequencies for these speakers. I'd guess that the woofers are crossed over to the mids at a few 100 Hz so they would still be used even if there was a subwoofer in the system, but I'm just guessing.
From JBL:

• Crossover frequencies: 320Hz, 3.2kHz

post #5 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sHockz View Post

Thanks
The JBL Loft 50's don't have a 6.5" subwoofer. They have 6.5" woofers, BIG difference. Woofers are not the same as subwoofers. They won't play as low or as clean as a good subwoofer. They'll still be in use even if you set the crossover to 80hz because the midrange drivers don't play that low.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 07-04-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Have you considered this sub: NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12"
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I too was looking at these speakers on Frys. Was there any sort of conclusion on which speakers would be the better buy?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page