Would goimg from Andrew Jones Fs-52 to Polk Rti6 for mains be an improvement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Would goimg from Andrew Jones Fs-52 to Polk Rti6 for mains be an improvement?

Right now I currently have the pioneer fs 52 as mains and the sp-c22 center channel. At one point I had the rti4 and liked them a lot. We have an 11 month old so I'm not sure how long towers will work out.

Regardless of this, do you think the rti6 mounted on the walls would be any sort of improvement in sound quality? I would pair them with the csi3 or csi5 for center channel. This is primarily for home theater use and I am using the big f12 Subwoofer. The room is 12x21 feet with 7 foot ceilings.

Thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-04-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Right now I currently have the pioneer fs 52 as mains and the sp-c22 center channel. At one point I had the rti4 and liked them a lot. We have an 11 month old so I'm not sure how long towers will work out.

Regardless of this, do you think the rti6 mounted on the walls would be any sort of improvement in sound quality? I would pair them with the csi3 or csi5 for center channel. This is primarily for home theater use and I am using the big f12 Subwoofer. The room is 12x21 feet with 7 foot ceilings.

Thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!
I understand that you would like to get the speakers off of the floor, but I urge you to consider mounting wood shelves on the wall with support brackets and placing the speakers on the shelves.

I find that actually attaching speakers to the wall results in problems with the walls resonating/buzzing at some frequencies.

Placing rubber matting under the speakers on the shelf provides some isolation from the wall.

The stuff they use in RVs to keep stuff from sliding around in cabinets is perfect for this, and you can get a roll of it for $10 or so from any RV parts dealer. It can be cut with scissors to fit the bottom of each speaker.

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 is the speaker I would recommend. Music Direct has them and a matching center speaker also.

IMO they are much better-sounding than either the RTi6 or the Pioneers, and you can get them for $350/pair.

Another advantage of shelves is that you can change speakers easily if you ever want to.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-04-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-04-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip regarding the wood shelves. That wouldn't be a problem, although they would have to be about 8 inches from the side of the wall due to my screen on the wall. I can't go with your speaker recommendation due to the cost. I only paid $175 for the two towers so im looking to stay in that range. The rti6 for a pair can be had for that on eBay. Anyone else have thoughts regarding these two speakers?
post #4 of 27 Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Thanks for the tip regarding the wood shelves. That wouldn't be a problem, although they would have to be about 8 inches from the side of the wall due to my screen on the wall. I can't go with your speaker recommendation due to the cost. I only paid $175 for the two towers so im looking to stay in that range. The rti6 for a pair can be had for that on eBay. Anyone else have thoughts regarding these two speakers?

If it were me, given your budget, I would get a pair of the Pioneer BS-41 speakers, which I see for $139 per pair at Amazon.

That way you can keep your current center speaker.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-05-2014 at 07:32 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the BS-22 over the 21? Also, do people consider the Pioneer to be the better speaker over the Polk rti4/rti6? I know one advantage of the polks is their higher sensitivity making them easier to drive. I do like my towers, but if my system can sound better without the towers im all for it.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Polk rti6 are absolutely an upgrade and a great choice in my opinion! I just recently bought a 7.1 polk system after researching obsessively for a few months. I bought used and via ebay.

Polk has a direct store on ebay that sells new polk rti6 for just over 200 a pair! That should also include the warranty and they have both colors available. They also have the CSI5 but it is $300ish.

I would definitely recommend the CSI5. I bought it and it is the perfect match and I would have regretted buying the smaller CSI3 center because would be the weak link.

Oh, and on the topic of the pioneer speakers....I have listened to them and was surprised to think they sucked. They weren't terrible but didn't blow me away at all and they look terrible imo. Bad design and cheaply built. Sure, they aren't bad for the money but they aren't great either. I passed them up on Fry's sale for 65$ each for the floor standers and got polk rti8 for $190/pair locally and am so glad I did. They are in a completely different class.
mr266 likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac415 View Post
The Polk rti6 are absolutely an upgrade and a great choice in my opinion! I just recently bought a 7.1 polk system after researching obsessively for a few months. I bought used and via ebay.

Polk has a direct store on ebay that sells new polk rti6 for just over 200 a pair! That should also include the warranty and they have both colors available. They also have the CSI5 but it is $300ish.

I would definitely recommend the CSI5. I bought it and it is the perfect match and I would have regretted buying the smaller CSI3 center because would be the weak link.

Oh, and on the topic of the pioneer speakers....I have listened to them and was surprised to think they sucked. They weren't terrible but didn't blow me away at all and they look terrible imo. Bad design and cheaply built. Sure, they aren't bad for the money but they aren't great either. I passed them up on Fry's sale for 65$ each for the floor standers and got polk rti8 for $190/pair locally and am so glad I did. They are in a completely different class.
Ugh. I'm torn because I do have the Pioneer towers and the center channel all set up. But, I can't help but wonder if I made a mistake getting rid of my Polk RTi4's and buying the Andrew Jones' speakers.

If possible, I would sell my towers and center channel and get either the Polk RTi4/RTi6 and then the CSi5 center channel. I hear they're power hungry, but I have the Denon 2112CI receiver so I thought this should be plenty of power.

Anyone else have thoughts between these speaker choices?
post #8 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 118
If you think the Polk sounded better than the AJ Pioneers then go with the Polks. At this low price point, it's all going to be subjective personal preference and the best we can hope for with these speakers is some degree of accuracy. Thus, there isn't really a right or wrong choice in these speakers, just what's right for you.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #9 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I have the Polk RTi4's. I prefer the Polk RTi4's or RTi6's over the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
I have the Polk RTi4's. I prefer the Polk RTi4's or RTi6's over the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR.
Any particular reason that you are drawn to the Polks over the Pioneers?
post #11 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any particular reason that you are drawn to the Polks over the Pioneers?
They sound better to my ears. They are also more efficient. Additionally the Polk's are much easier to mount on a wall with their keyhole mount. The Pioneers don't have that option and require an additional speaker mount to put them on the wall.

Pioneers are great speakers I just prefer the sound of my Polks they sound more refined and bring out more detail in my music and movies. Sound is very subjective what sounds good to one person might sound horrible to another.

Here is an old review of the RTi4's
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1004polk/
post #12 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
They sound better to my ears. They are also more efficient. Additionally the Polk's are much easier to mount on a wall with their keyhole mount. The Pioneers don't have that option and require an additional speaker mount to put them on the wall.

Pioneers are great speakers I just prefer the sound of my Polks they sound more refined and bring out more detail in my music and movies. Sound is very subjective what sounds good to one person might sound horrible to another.

Here is an old review of the RTi4's
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1004polk/
Yes, they certainly are easier to drive. I guess I will have to decide if the change is worth it. There are some fantastic deals on ebay every so often on these speakers so it's really enticing.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For music playback, every Polk Audio I've heard in the $150-$500 price range has sounded - to my ears - very bright and analytical. I don't like them at all for that purpose. OTOH for movie soundtracks, I think that same sound reproduction style would probably be fine.*

IMO the Pioneers and Polks are at totally opposite ends of the sound spectrum i.e. the Pioneers are much warmer, smoother and easy to listen to, particularly with music. But as already mentioned, sound is a very subjective/personal judgement, so a person needs to choose what they like.

BTW speaker efficiency has nothing to do with speaker quality - it is simply a result of a designer's choice of drivers, crossover and sonic personality (some of the most highly regarded speakers have relatively low efficiency ratings, sometimes reaching down to as low as 84db in real world tests).

* to cut the Polks some slack, it doesn't help that so much rock & pop music the last @10 years seems to be recorded with cheap earbuds and low bitrate MP3 files in mind i.e. boosted high frequencies - and much more damaging - ridiculous amounts of level compression (the latter recording choice is basically impossible to fix using EQ controls & IMO can make music physically irritating to listen to)

Last edited by donutfan; 07-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 103
No, not if you value accurate sound.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
No, not if you value accurate sound.
So I then take it that you find the Pioneers to be superior, or at least equal, to the Polk RTi bookshelves?
post #16 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
So I then take it that you find the Pioneers to be superior, or at least equal, to the Polk RTi bookshelves?
Yes. I am not a fan of the lower end Polks. The only ones I thought were decent were the old LSi.

Depends on what you are looking for though. If you want a lot of boom and treble energy to impress your friends, get the Polks.

The Andrew Jones Pioneers are very good speakers for the price. However, not everyone is able to appreciate accurate sound. I tried out the FS52s for a brief moment and was impressed.

At the end of the day though, no one has your ears. You need to audition the speakers and decide for yourself. Shouldn't be too difficult to do with the Pioneers since they are sold at Best Buy.

Last edited by drewTT; 07-09-2014 at 05:26 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I would consider the Wave Crest Audio speakers for $230/pr. They are also front ported, making them well suited for wall or shelf mounting.

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produc...udspeaker-pair

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
post #18 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Don't forget the Infinity Primus 163. A worthy alternative.

http://www.infinityspeakers.com/esto...atId=cat740049

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #19 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Polk RTi-Line is NOT low end Polk. Sorry but they are huge steps above the Polk Monitors and TSi and the TSx. RTi Series is Polk's step below their flagship LSi series

Polk RTi6's and RTi4's are great value right now from Polk's ebay cause Polk wants to push there RTi A1 and A3's which came after the RTi4/RTi6.

If music is your focus I like the Infinity P163's over both Polks and Pioneers. I like my Polks for both music and movies. I never had any complaints about them personally.

IMO Polks bring alot more detail to soundtracks that the Pioneers miss as they are too mellow. Some say that makes the Polks bright sounding. But as far as brightness to my ears the Klipsch Icon/Synergy series are the true definition of bright. So bright they were harsh to my ears.

OP- Which did you like more the Pioneer's or your old Polk RTi4's? Go with what sounded the best to you.

Last edited by crazyrob425; 07-10-2014 at 07:38 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Polk RTi-Line is NOT low end Polk. Sorry but they are huge steps above the Polk Monitors and TSi and the TSx. RTi Series is Polk's step below their flagship LSi series

Polk RTi6's and RTi4's are great value right now from Polk's ebay cause Polk wants to push there RTi A1 and A3's which came after the RTi4/RTi6.

If music is your focus I like the Infinity P163's over both Polks and Pioneers. I like my Polks for both music and movies. I never had any complaints about them personally.

IMO Polks bring alot more detail to soundtracks that the Pioneers miss as they are too mellow. Some say that makes the Polks bright sounding. But as far as brightness to my ears the Klipsch Icon/Synergy series are the true definition of bright. So bright they were harsh to my ears.

OP- Which did you like more the Pioneer's or your old Polk RTi4's? Go with what sounded the best to you.
Yeah, I was going to reply to the comment about the Polk RTi being low end. From what I remember those Polk RTi4's really held their own. I remember watching Captain Philips with just the RTi4s at my parents house, and even the dialogue within those was astounding. Made you feel like you were there. I do agree that the Pioneers are rather mellow. But, it's hard to complain considering I got two towers and the center for $245.

To answer your question...I can't remember which I liked better! I can only go off memory. I wish I still had a pair to compare the two. I probably would be just fine keeping the setup I got (in fact I know I would...), but I'm still left wondering how the Polks would sound in my theater room.

Like you said...the RTi4 and RTi6 can be had for some very nice prices these days...But then that center channel....thing is huge!
post #21 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like you said...the RTi4 and RTi6 can be had for some very nice prices these days...But then that center channel....thing is huge!
You could always use a single RTi4 or RTi 6 as a center.

I have the CSi 3. It is kind of big but its pretty average when you compare it to other centers of a similar level. Most TV cabinents don't equate for the average center channel size so I ended up building a riser for my TV. Its a struggle to find one that fits these days
post #22 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You could always use a single RTi4 or RTi 6 as a center.

I have the CSi 3. It is kind of big but its pretty average when you compare it to other centers of a similar level. Most TV cabinents don't equate for the average center channel size so I ended up building a riser for my TV. Its a struggle to find one that fits these days
I actually was talking about the csi5, not csi3. If I went with the rti6 I think I would get the larger center if I can find a decent price. Just need to see whether exchanging out my pioneers would be a lateral or vertical move for sound.
post #23 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Would goimg from Andrew Jones Fs-52 to Polk Rti6 for mains be an improvement?

Go and listen. That is the only way you can be sure if the switch is an upgrade to YOUR ears.

That said, what is it about the Pios that makes you want to "upgrade"?
post #24 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

Go and listen. That is the only way you can be sure if the switch is an upgrade to YOUR ears.

That said, what is it about the Pios that makes you want to "upgrade"?
I can't really go and listen. The RTi line is no longer sold at stores near me. I had the RTi4 before getting the Pioneers and I can't help but wonder if they were better speakers.

My reason to "upgrade" is about moving from towers to bookshelves due to having a youngester roaming the house, but also potentially better sound quality from the Polks. The CSi5 is a monster compared to the Pioneer center so I'm wondering if dialogue would be more full and rich from the Polk. Also if the Polk RTi6 could keep up with the towers from the Pioneers. Just trying to figure it all out!
post #25 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I actually was talking about the csi5, not csi3. If I went with the rti6 I think I would get the larger center if I can find a decent price. Just need to see whether exchanging out my pioneers would be a lateral or vertical move for sound.
see if there are Polk RTi A1's or A3's in your area to demo. I found that the A1's sounded just like my Rti4's

CSi5 is available through Polk's ebay store right now.

Honestly though if you have no real complaints with the Pioneers right now and aren't let down over the difference, keep them. You might change speakers back to the RTi4's and be wishing you had the Pioneers back.
post #26 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
I would consider the Wave Crest Audio speakers for $230/pr. They are also front ported, making them well suited for wall or shelf mounting.

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produc...udspeaker-pair

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
+1 to this.

I have 3 for an LCR and absolutely love them.

post #27 of 27 Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw612 View Post
+1 to this.

I have 3 for an LCR and absolutely love them.
Wow. These speakers review like my ancient Mission 700LE speakers. Silk dome tweeter, great midrange, good imaging (more sensitive, but less able to handle high volume). One of the nice things about both these speakers is that they are able to smooth over bad recordings, making them palatable. That is an important quality in an inexpensive speaker, as it is often paired with less than ideal electronics and recordings. The silk dome is so non-fatiguing, it allows you to listen for a very long time with no urge to turn it DOWN. Nice find.
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - fs-52 by PriceGrabber.com