What are my options for sound outside by the pool? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What are my options for sound outside by the pool?

Just moved and now have a nice backyard with patio and pool. I definitely want to get decent sound outside but not sure I want to invest in having wires run, etc. I know that can get very expensive quickly. Guess I am really asking is how is the quality of sound from these wireless systems? Getting a Beats/Bose/B&W sound bar just isn't going to cut it so I'm thinking of a wireless speaker setup. 2 speakers at least, 4 would be best.

Do I need a dedicated receiver? Can I run my playlists, music and Pandora all from my iPhone, etc? I'm OK with removing the speakers from outside during winter and extended non playing times. Can I add an indoor set up as well? Would be nice to have music throughout the home. In the old days I would have invested a lot of $$$ in a 2 channel setup in the family room but now I'm looking for decent sound and good volume. I'll leave the good stuff in the soon to be finished basement....

Would the Sonus system be a good option?

Thanks for the help!!

JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Just moved and now have a nice backyard with patio and pool. I definitely want to get decent sound outside but not sure I want to invest in having wires run, etc. I know that can get very expensive quickly. Guess I am really asking is how is the quality of sound from these wireless systems? Getting a Beats/Bose/B&W sound bar just isn't going to cut it so I'm thinking of a wireless speaker setup. 2 speakers at least, 4 would be best.

Do I need a dedicated receiver? Can I run my playlists, music and Pandora all from my iPhone, etc? I'm OK with removing the speakers from outside during winter and extended non playing times. Can I add an indoor set up as well? Would be nice to have music throughout the home. In the old days I would have invested a lot of $$$ in a 2 channel setup in the family room but now I'm looking for decent sound and good volume. I'll leave the good stuff in the soon to be finished basement....

Would the Sonus system be a good option?

Thanks for the help!!

JK

I would get a cheap Sony stereo receiver ($150), and put a couple of Dayton B652 speakers under the eaves so the weather doesn't get to them too quickly.

Forget wireless unless you have a LOT of money to spend.

The speakers sound very good and are only $40 per pair from Parts Express.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I though about doing it that way but the area to hang the speakers is pretty far from the pool area. It would be really loud close to the house on the deck to get a decent volume by the pool.

Maybe I need to suck it up and have speakers wired to the pool area.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
I though about doing it that way but the area to hang the speakers is pretty far from the pool area. It would be really loud close to the house on the deck to get a decent volume by the pool.

Maybe I need to suck it up and have speakers wired to the pool area.
Or maybe just a good bluetooth speaker that you could carry out to the pool as needed and keep by the pool? That would allow you or anyone else, too, to pair the speaker to their phone.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Outdoor speakers that are rain-resistant do exist, they might even be wireless and battery powered.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

But just be careful with high voltage and water.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm planning on running a sonos connect amp to b&w am-1 outdoor speakers, though any number of outdoor speakers will do, depending on what you want to spend. The main advantage of sonos is that you can control the volume and source from anywhere using your phone, computer or tablet. The connect amp is $500, significantly more than a basic avr receiver. You're paying for the sonos experience. Denon has some receivers that also have a pretty slick phone app to control the receiver. It's just a little more involved than using sonos.

This is all assuming you wire speakers to the outdoor pool area. Cheaper would be sonos play 5's but then you need power (and they are not weather resistant).

Ron

Last edited by turt; 07-05-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I run an inexpensive Sherwood amp with wired speakers from OSD on the deck and Polk speakers on the porch. Wiring was easy as I just tucked it up underneath the decking after I pulled the grass back some. I added Apple air for streaming and use the app Remote for play and volume

Clint
Obsession Pimp
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd go with Sonos, since you mentioned whole house audio anyways. Is there an easy way to wire speakers from your home to the pool area? I just did this for my parents, put a Sonos Connect:Amp in their pool house, then ran 4 rock speakers around the pool. I used direct burial speaker wire and the whole thing took about an hour to setup. It works great, and music can be played at a very comfortable level so that you can still have conversations. If you want to crank it and party, it will allow that too
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Another vote here for Sonos. I have two rock speakers set up around the pool. The Sonos AMP is set up in a small poolhouse right off the pool, and there are 4 additional in-ceiling speakers on an overhang. Since I use Sonos in my house as well this keeps everything seamless.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page