2003 Paradigm Studio 60 v2 vs. New Paradigm Monitor 7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2003 Paradigm Studio 60 v2 vs. New Paradigm Monitor 7?

Hey guys,

2 quick questions for the Paradigm experts:

I currently have Paradigm Phantom v3 Floor speakers (2002-2003), and want a bit of an upgrade.

I found this link about the Phantoms which sold as System Three.2
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...tem_three2.htm

---For $350 I can get a set of used Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v2's. (Same years as the Phantoms 2002-2003) Link below:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...x.aspx#reviews

1. I can't find much info about my Paradigm Phantom floor standing speakers. Am I right to assume these would have been entry level speakers much like the Monitors today and that the used 2003 Studio 60 v2's will be an upgrade? Would the Phantom have been below the Monitors as it looks like the Phantoms sold for $529/pair? (Why is there is so little info on the Phantom line?)

2. Would the 2003 Reference Studio 60 v2s, be better than brand new Monitor 7s? I would assume so, but maybe in the last 10-12 years, technology has made the monitor line better than the older studios?

(I also have an Energy AS-90 12inch Sub which I jut bought for $80)

Appreciate any help! Every time I have any audio/video questions Google always brings me to this forum - great info here!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace McCool View Post
Hey guys,

2 quick questions for the Paradigm experts:

I currently have Paradigm Phantom v3 Floor speakers (2002-2003), and want a bit of an upgrade.

I found this link about the Phantoms which sold as System Three.2
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...tem_three2.htm

---For $350 I can get a set of used Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v2's. (Same years as the Phantoms 2002-2003) Link below:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...x.aspx#reviews

1. I can't find much info about my Paradigm Phantom floor standing speakers. Am I right to assume these would have been entry level speakers much like the Monitors today and that the used 2003 Studio 60 v2's will be an upgrade? Would the Phantom have been below the Monitors as it looks like the Phantoms sold for $529/pair? (Why is there is so little info on the Phantom line?)

2. Would the 2003 Reference Studio 60 v2s, be better than brand new Monitor 7s? I would assume so, but maybe in the last 10-12 years, technology has made the monitor line better than the older studios?

(I also have an Energy AS-90 12inch Sub which I jut bought for $80)

Appreciate any help! Every time I have any audio/video questions Google always brings me to this forum - great info here!

Thanks.

I had owned the paradigm reference Studio 100's V3. Great set of speakers. If you find a pair of any used V3 studio speakers grab em if you can swing it. The jump in performance from the Monitor line to the studio's was incredible. ( this was back in 2006 )

If the speakers are a bit out of your reach then save up....that's my advice....best of luck!

Bri
post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to buy v3's.

What I'm looking to find out is if the Studio 60 v2 is an upgrade over my Phantom v3, and if a Studio 60 v2 from 2003 for $300 is a better performer than brand new monitor 7's.

Does anyone know?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

$15 via PayPal to anyone who can answer my questions in detail.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I can't provide you a direct comparison, or probably the detail that you are looking for. All I can add is that at $350 you found a good deal on the 60's, even if v.2. I just sold my 60's v.4 for $900. When I first purchased them, they replace my Mini Monitor's v.3. Not a fair comparison, as the Studio 60's just were that much more commanding. By commanding, I mean that they did a great job filling the room and reaching much lower if running full range for music.

Keep in mind, I do know that there were significant changes in the Studio line between v.2 and v.3 (I don't think nearly as much from v.3 to v.4).

If you choose to purchase the v.2 60's, I can't imagine you would have a difficult time selling them for near the purchase price if you are unhappy. Part of the fun in this hobby is trying things and swapping it out. At least it is for me. I purchased most of my theater components used, makes it easier when turning around to sell soon after if you choose.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
im gonna echo the others. 350$ for the 60 v2's is a nice deal. I don't think they'll disappoint.
The biggest difference i notice between the v2's and the newer versions is just a little more refinement in the highs.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page