Bookshelf for center with towers at the sides - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bookshelf for center with towers at the sides

I have a set of paradigm signature 6 for the left and right. They sound absolutely amazing. I now need a center.

I would love the paradigm c5 for the center but at $4,500 it is quite a hit. Even the C3 at $2,800 is pretty pricey. As a result I have considered the Signature 2 for the center and at $1,700 is much more palatable for me. The sig 2 is paradigm's bookshelf in the same model line of their signature series.

Has anyone tried to use a bookshelf for the center and floor standers for the sides in the front? I know people would prefer to use all the same speakers on the front end but due to the cost of the dedicated centers paradigm offers has made me shy away. I could easily fit a large bookshelf for the center.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCrash450 View Post
I have a set of paradigm signature 6 for the left and right. They sound absolutely amazing. I now need a center.

I would love the paradigm c5 for the center but at $4,500 it is quite a hit. Even the C3 at $2,800 is pretty pricey. As a result I have considered the Signature 2 for the center and at $1,700 is much more palatable for me. The sig 2 is paradigm's bookshelf in the same model line of their signature series.

Has anyone tried to use a bookshelf for the center and floor standers for the sides in the front? I know people would prefer to use all the same speakers on the front end but due to the cost of the dedicated centers paradigm offers has made me shy away. I could easily fit a large bookshelf for the center.

Thanks!

My friend has the huge Signature center channel....looks like the current Version just without the beryllium tweeter. It's powered by a 500watt rotel class D amp.
Sounds pretty damn good....

He bought it used on ebay a couple years ago in mint shape....$1900. Great deal...

Forget the c3 or the bookshelf....for theater, the center channel plays a vital role, and is of extreme importance. Go for a used C5, worth every penny.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

Thanks!
If you can fit another bookshelf (same as your L/R) as a center standing-up, then it would be perfect.

Are those price right?
They seem to be very steep to me.

Ray
post #4 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
100% yes, standing up bookshelf. Still, it is almost impossible to get the center to match toe vocal timber of the mains. Even if it was identical, the environment for short time reflections is not. My experience, if you are sitting between the mains, the center is not only not needed, it is far worse. Much of that may be the artificial generation of the center channel as broadcast. You can do far more for voice centering and image control be reducing the main speaker sort time reflections ( sound absorbers on the front wall) My experience, your mileage may vary.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree with going used, I'm sure you can find one for a decent price thats in like new condition
post #6 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
If you can fit another bookshelf (same as your L/R) as a center standing-up, then it would be perfect.

Are those price right?
They seem to be very steep to me.

Ray

Those prices are correct. It is retail and Paradigm prices have certainly gone up the last couple years. I can get about 15 percent from my dealer which helps but is still costly for that awesome c5.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotier16 View Post
I agree with going used, I'm sure you can find one for a decent price thats in like new condition
Believe it or not I have been searching audiogon and canuck/us audiomart since February for my signature speakers. Ultimately audiogon is where I got my signature 6's from. I have seen only one c3 pop up and after I contacted the seller he decided not to sell. I have been looking for a used center for the last 6 months and have had no luck.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
100% yes, standing up bookshelf. Still, it is almost impossible to get the center to match toe vocal timber of the mains. Even if it was identical, the environment for short time reflections is not. My experience, if you are sitting between the mains, the center is not only not needed, it is far worse. Much of that may be the artificial generation of the center channel as broadcast. You can do far more for voice centering and image control be reducing the main speaker sort time reflections ( sound absorbers on the front wall) My experience, your mileage may vary.
Quote:
Those prices are correct. It is retail and Paradigm prices have certainly gone up the last couple years. I can get about 15 percent from my dealer which helps but is still costly for that awesome c5.
Oups my bad, I miss the part that your main are towers and not bookshelf.
I would try it first to make sure the bookshelf have the exact same voice.
Ask your dealer to try-it with option to return if it doesn't work out.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 07-07-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotier16 View Post
Believe it or not I have been searching audiogon and canuck/us audiomart since February for my signature speakers. Ultimately audiogon is where I got my signature 6's from. I have seen only one c3 pop up and after I contacted the seller he decided not to sell. I have been looking for a used center for the last 6 months and have had no luck. I have seen some of the version 1's pop up but they don't have the beryllium tweeter. I will continue to search for the dedicated center. Although I get the feeling I will strike out over the next few months and thought maybe the signature 2 would be the way to go.

So I guess nobody has tried to run a bookshelf center with floorstanding speakers. I don't honestly see why it wouldn't work, and actually work quite well really. The c5 is 9.5 inches tall and the s2 is 15" tall. The s2 is a well regarded speaker and the same tonality and would match the signature 6's I have.

I could drop down to the reference line cc-690 at $1750. It is a huge center but Im afraid wouldn't match the sound identically to the fronts I have now. Paradigm uses a different tweeter, mid and bass drive in the cc690.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Believe it or not I have been searching audiogon and canuck/us audiomart since February for my signature speakers. Ultimately audiogon is where I got my signature 6's from. I have seen only one c3 pop up and after I contacted the seller he decided not to sell. I have been looking for a used center for the last 6 months and have had no luck. I have seen some of the version 1's pop up but they don't have the beryllium tweeter. I will continue to search for the dedicated center. Although I get the feeling I will strike out over the next few months and thought maybe the signature 2 would be the way to go.

So I guess nobody has tried to run a bookshelf center with floorstanding speakers. I don't honestly see why it wouldn't work, and actually work quite well really. The c5 is 9.5 inches tall and the s2 is 15" tall. The s2 is a well regarded speaker and the same tonality and would match the signature 6's I have.

I could drop down to the reference line cc-690 at $1750. It is a huge center but Im afraid wouldn't match the sound identically to the fronts I have now. Paradigm uses a different tweeter, mid and bass drive in the cc690.
I am honestly hoping the bookshelf as a center work for you.
I also beleive that cc690 and I am not familiar with it would not give the best result since it use different drivers all around and I am sur it would not match the sound of a bookshelf using the same line of driver (even if the center/bookshelf is not perfect, I think it would be a closer match than a center using different drivers).

Best of luck in your search

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page