AVS Forum banner

SVS Ultra VS. Klipsch RC-64 ii for center

18K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Millerspcrepair 
#1 ·
Has anybody heard both Klipsch RC64 and SVS ultra center speakers to throw an opinion between the 2?

#2 ·
I own the svs ultra center, and it's a fantastic speaker. very satisfied with the dialogue and clarity. I however can't help you with the rc64 as I have never heard it.

#4 ·
OP, don't you have the SVS center? You seem to be doing this backwards from the way most people pick speakers (correct me if I'm wrong). It looks like you're trying to pick a center speaker first. Most people find a set of mains they like, then just get the matching center.

#7 ·
Yes I have the SVS center and getting ready to make a move on the L&R's. With the SVS center, I will be getting the SVS Ultra surrounds unless the Klipsch would be a contestant, however I'm not sure if it's a better sounding speaker or if the only reason it's more expensive is because you're paying for the brand.

#8 ·
I think those svs bookshelves r the better deal, and sound better than the surrounds.

#9 ·
I cannot give you 100% accurate compressison but I will say that I recently made the switch from my klipsch synergy system to the ultras. And the center simply is awesome! The diolog come across nicly and clear. But it's not apples to apples. Also the surrounds IMO are great. The duo mode is a great feature. There is a short vid on utube of my lil system. But I'd say get it and if your not satisfied return with no hassle.

#17 ·
I own the rc-64II it does not sound bright at any volume and overall is excellent. Very sensitive but klipsch still recommends you give it 200 rms. I give mine 300 or so an it is great. But you could run it off ten watts and probably never tell the difference.

You should be matching or LRC speakers. Ideally having three identical speakers. At the least you would want to use the same series and brand for your LRC if you cant fit matching speakers.

If this is going behind a AT screen then I wouldnt buy any sideways/under screen speaker. If this is for a TV room the klipsch is not a small speaker a 36" wide.

#18 ·
Everything I've read, it's important to match timbre on 3 main fronts. Surrounds not necessary but sticking with same maker of FL, FR, center sounds best.

#19 ·
Yes that's the "conventional wisdom." Which can fall flat on its face if one has the bad luck to end up with a "timbre matched" front stage with a crappy center that puts out muffled or garbled dialogue, having based their decision on how the L/R speakers sound by themselves.

The better caveat would be, if you insist on a "matching" LCR make sure you thoroughly test the center speaker first before you buy the whole 3 speakers. Or rather, make sure you have a good return policy to fall back upon and don't lose that sales receipt!

#20 ·
The problem with "timbre" matching LCR is this - the majority of center speakers are designed and built like **** in comparison to its L and R main brethens. Why? Size (because everyone apparently MUST fit the center in a cabinet, under the TV or in the freaking wall) is a major concern and then price.
People get aggitated if they see a center channel costing twice more than a single L or R channel speaker, what people forget is that the center channel is the MOST important speaker in a multi channel setup. But nope, "it's gotta be cheap or else...!".:rolleyes:

To answer OP's question, which is better - while I don't have the RC64ii, I did have the RP450c instead which on all accounts is almost equal to the RC64 but isn't as bright overall. I stuck with the SVS Ultra however.

Believe it or not they actually sound quite tonally similar, bright-ish highs (I wouldn't say harsh, but can be a little sibilant in a very small handful of sources), big dynamics, does not distort when pushed to reference volume, clear and well balanced dialogue. Both the Ultra center and the RP450c exhibits the same quality, but the ONE thing the Ultra Center does better? Mid-bass. No matter how I placed the RP450c, no matter how I cross them over, no matter how I even tried and EQ them, they just sound bloated with deep voices - till the point where it sounds obnoxious.

I am unsure if the RC64ii exhibits the same issue or not, because the last time I heard it - it wasn't in my room, but in a demo hall. So of course no conclusions can be made.

Both the RC64ii and RP450c are much easier to drive to loud volumes than the SVS Ultra center however. I won't say the Ultra center is a power hog goblin, but if reference volume is required - it absolutely needs some solid power to back it up. So take note on that.

#22 ·
while I don't have the RC64ii, I did have the RP450c instead which on all accounts is almost equal to the RC64 but isn't as bright overall.
I've owned both the 450c and the 64 II. The 64 is better in every category. It is not as bright as the 450c, has a deeper tone, and more natural voices. It is a sealed design, so it won't have the "bloated" issue that can come from placement issues of the 450 being rear ported.

#21 ·
I've never compared the two speakers but very happy with the sound of the RP series. The fact I'm able to get RP450c on same horizontal plane as front R/L by mounting TV on top (speaker supports 100lb TV) instead of speaker mounted well below as my other centers is also something I like about it.

#23 ·
I will tell you as I have owned both Center Channels and I have to admit that the Klipsch 64 ii Has been much better all around. I am a huge quality person but the SVS ultra might be a little more but the Klipsch has def won in my opinion. I actually got most of the info on this site before ordered made me make up my mind glad i did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.