Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Speakers > Speaker Placement
azisme's Avatar azisme 10:43 PM 07-06-2014
I just purchased three MB Quart Vera VS1CM speakers to use as L, R and Center; and a pair of the Alexxa B1 for surrounds. I have not received them yet, I just ordered them early AM July 3rd (thanks zieglj01 for your assistance).

This is what I have come up with placement but there are a couple of areas I am not sure about so I would like your advice. Here is the layout of my living room. I posted the jpeg along with a link because it doesn't look like the image insert is working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvt2kss6yg...Layout%202.jpg

The front speakers will be wall mounted. As you can see they will need to be mounted flush to the wall because of the door swing. In an effort to spread them as wide as possible, the left front is also pretty close to the left wall. The rear speakers are not equal distance but I think I did pretty well by using a Yorkville SKS-Wall2 mount http://www.fullcompass.com/product/391310.html for the right rear speaker. I am not sure of the best trade offs between speaker distances and wall proximity and so on so I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I will be doing the "subwoofer crawl" which I have never done before for it's placement, but I am currently severely underpowered with a Klipsch SW10 55W sub. I will be purchasing a larger one but I am a bit tapped out at the moment and I would like to do all my wiring now, so I can patch and paint. Will the best placement area(s) vary with a more powerful sub? Any ideas on where the best place would be?

I will also be doing some minor sound treatments after the speakers are placed. I am thinking of a couple bass trap plant stands and a couple of home made picture frame absorbers using mineral wool.

Please don't suggest any radical changes in the layout as the WAF is very high here and I have spent weeks nudging furniture closer to ideal locations a little at a time. Hoping to get several leaps closer to a decent sounding system than I have ever had. BTW, about 80% movie to 20% music.

Thanks in advance!

zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 11:07 PM 07-06-2014
You need to be careful about mounting the Vera speakers - they weigh 54 lbs each.
They weigh more than a lot of tower speakers out there
azisme's Avatar azisme 11:12 PM 07-06-2014
[quote=zieglj01;25543586]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azisme View Post
You need to be careful about mounting the Vera speakers - they weigh 54 lbs each.
They weigh more than a lot of tower speakers out there
Yes, I am aware of that. I am confident in my abilities in that area as I do building maintenance for a living. And yes they weigh a whole lot more than the Polk Monitor towers they are replacing.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 11:36 PM 07-06-2014
Quote:
Yes, I am aware of that. I am confident in my abilities in that area as I do building maintenance for a living. And yes they weigh a whole lot more than the Polk Monitor towers they are replacing.
Then that is good to hear.

Is that a table in front of a window, where you plan to place your right surround speaker?
azisme's Avatar azisme 07:27 AM 07-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Then that is good to hear.

Is that a table in front of a window, where you plan to place your right surround speaker?
That is a desk that my wife just ordered, off limits for me. My intended mounting height for the surrounds is three feet above the height of the desk anyway (six feet).
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 10:10 AM 07-07-2014
Quote:
That is a desk that my wife just ordered, off limits for me. My intended mounting height for the surrounds is three feet above the height of the desk anyway (six feet).
For your limitations and WAF restrictions - it can work out

The sub you will have to work with (the crawl), for the best sound/placement.
However, the Vera does have good bass - tight, controlled and articulate.

Check back with a report, for how this new system sounds.
azisme's Avatar azisme 11:08 AM 07-07-2014
I appreciate your input. I know the rear placement is not ideal, but the right rear as drawn is about 30 inched closer to the listening area as it is currently which is mounted on the right wall. I am also able to spread out the front speakers further because we now have wood flooring. We used to have carpet with a tile entryway that prevented me from shifting everything to the left.

All in all it will be a huge improvement over my current system. I will be sure to give a report.

Good to know about the Vera's bass. I was under the impression that the bass was a little lacking compared with the highs.
Up
Mobile  Desktop