1Likes
  • 1 Post By audiyopapa

post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In-Wall Speaker Advice

Hello All! Looks like this is my first post. In attempts to find a good authority on this subject, I've searched far and wide. AVS seems to have the largest number of active members.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me as I'm torn given the myriad in variation and cost of in-wall speakers. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom on the subject! Below is the mission, should you choose to accept it.

History:
I have long had a sensitive, but not audiophile-grade set of eardrums. I generally dislike sharp sibilance, aggressive treble, but otherwise enjoy sounds on the bright end of natural. I love bass that's punchier, and will be using the setup for a little bit of everything. Who doesn't? That being said, I don't have the crazy skills of characterizing sound like many others do, but I like loud, hard-hitting that doesn't hurt my ears. Currently I live in an apartment with a complete older Klipsch synergy setup (SF2-SC2-SB2-SS3) hooked to an Onkyo SR800 receiver. I reckon it sounds fine, sometimes really good, but it's hard to tell b/c the apartment's tiny. I don't care for how directional the klipsches are since you have to be directly in front of them to hear them. I'm hoping to sell them and keep the receiver for the new setup.

The Application:
I'm moving to a house with hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, and a 14x16ft living room. This being said, I believe a 5.1 setup will be the best. I have a crawl space instead of an attic for wire routing. I would like to use in-wall speakers because it's something I've always wanted to do. All will need to be wall-mount since the ceilings are vaulted and slanted upward left to right. I also like brand matching when possible (All speakers be by same manufacturer). I have about 1200 bucks in total which my below proposal hits right on the money. There's a tiny bit of wiggle room if there's a sweet spot in price vs sound quality, but I derived this amount from the below inventory.

The current considerations:
Front L & R - Polk 265rt
Center - Polk 255c-rt
Rear L & R - Polk 65rt
Sub - Polk PSW505

Other brand candidates: BIC, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, Martin Logan(their cheap line), Yamaha, Micca(?)

The questions:
Can I do better for the money? Do I need to scrap the Onkyo and start over? I love the amp thus far and it reviewed great. I see nothing wrong with it. Should I go with a different brand than Polk for the cash? Has anybody tried to build little in-wall enclosures for their in-wall speakers?

Any advice at all would be appreciated. This is my first house, first delve into acoustics I can actually turn up without disturbing others, first wall speaker application, and first place I can cut holes into the wall without losing a deposit of some sort. Thank you all very much for any knowledge you wish to transfer to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody? Trying to figure out a good setup for the cash. Any suggestions at all? Even if from fanboys. Or better yet, any reason NOT to go with the polk setup I listed?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edunn28243 View Post
Anybody? Trying to figure out a good setup for the cash. Any suggestions at all? Even if from fanboys. Or better yet, any reason NOT to go with the polk setup I listed?

I recently installed Paradigm Reference series in-walls and they are excellent, but perhaps a bit over your budget. However, I listened to the "classic series" by paradigm as well, and they were also very good and appear more comparably priced to the Polks you are considering. I can't comment on the Polks as I have not heard them, but just wanted to throw out the Paradigms as another option.

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=inwall
edunn28243 likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiyopapa View Post
I recently installed Paradigm Reference series in-walls and they are excellent, but perhaps a bit over your budget. However, I listened to the "classic series" by paradigm as well, and they were also very good and appear more comparably priced to the Polks you are considering. I can't comment on the Polks as I have not heard them, but just wanted to throw out the Paradigms as another option.

Thanks for the help! You may be right and I'm typically very appreciative of paradigm's products. I would go have myself a listen but I've many times been misled by demonstrative setups. I fell for that when I bought these doggone klipsch's. They sould awesome.... provided they're in an optimal room not butted up against a wall and facing directly toward you powered by a receiver that isn't very forward sounding. That's a lot of they'll-sound-awesome-if's tacked on. I will check out a similarly priced paradigm setup. Anybody else have any good experiences?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiyopapa View Post

Also seems like Paradigm has a CS series now, which would be very affordable if subjected to retail piricing. I cannot find this to be the case anywhere though. Might just be because the speakers are so new. Nobody's had a chance to stock them.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 10
I was recently looking into in-wall's as well. Not being able to listen to any of them was driving me crazy, but I ended up deciding on the Definitive Technology line. Many people on this forum will tell you that in-wall speakers aren't good because the wall varies and won't be as good as a designed enclosure. But the Def Tech UIW line are fully enclosed.

Also, not all rooms are the same, and I found their lineup to have an excellent variety that can mix-and-match to suit your needs. i.e. Ceiling mounted, wall-mounted, bipolar, sizes, etc. And a wide variety of pricing in the speakers, as well as a lot of options for refurbished & used products (if you're into that sort of thing).

Other brands that I was very interested in, other that what you already listed, were Triad, Axiom, Noble-Fidelity, and PSB.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page