Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 161 Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post
While you are there take a moment to audition the Marshall "Stanmore". I just bought one and it is remarkable! It is a Bluetooth (AptX) speaker with RCA inputs, 1/8" mini plug and optical inputs and brass knobs to adjust volume, bass and treble. It blew me away in the store and it sounds even better in the home!

Let us know what you think of the Pioneers.
Hi Math-Geek I just got out of best buy and tested a few speakers. The Pioneer Andrew Jones towers and bookshelf sound really nice. On the setup that best buy had you could either listen to the bookshelf plus the center or the center and the towers, but not all 5.

Both the bookshelf and the towers sound really nice. I could tell a difference with the towers though as they had a fuller sound over the bookshelf. However, I noticed most of the voice came out of the center and sound effects came out of the towers or bookshelf. Is that supposed to happen or does best buy have it setup incorrectly?

Now, I wish I could hear the HTD level two and level three' s to compare!

Oh, I did not see the Marshall Stanford speaker there.
math-geek likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 161 Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Both the towers and the bookshelf sound nice. I would think towers and sub for your initial setup. The surround setup that they have by default will pipe a lot through the center channel. The center channel in a surround does a huge amount of work, 60-70% or more by default. You may want to use the generous return policy so that you may audition the towers in your own place. The store is a horrible place to listen to loudspeakers.

Best of wishes future audiophile!
post #93 of 161 Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post
Both the towers and the bookshelf sound nice. I would think towers and sub for your initial setup. The surround setup that they have by default will pipe a lot through the center channel. The center channel in a surround does a huge amount of work, 60-70% or more by default. You may want to use the generous return policy so that you may audition the towers in your own place. The store is a horrible place to listen to loudspeakers.

Best of wishes future audiophile!
Hmm, good point. I am going to order the receiver tonight. When I receive it, I will head to Best buy and buy both the towers and bookshelf to hear how it sounds in my home. Then, I may do the same with the HTD's and use it as my comparison.
post #94 of 161 Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyp View Post
Hmm, good point. I am going to order the receiver tonight. When I receive it, I will head to Best buy and buy both the towers and bookshelf to hear how it sounds in my home. Then, I may do the same with the HTD's and use it as my comparison.
I think that you will be mighty happy!!!
post #95 of 161 Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Just FYI in case you don't know, Best Buy now price matches.

Also, yes, a center channel does most of the voices when one is used in a surround sound setup. A center channel is a big deal, so normally you get as big of a one as you can. For example, 3 towers across the front would actually be better than 2 towers and a smaller center. Most people can't fit a tower in the center, so the chose a center designed specifically for that duty. You see some people go with bookshelfs, and a center, where the center is actually bigger than the bookshelfs.

Yeah, the center is very important. It's hard to do this all at once with your budget. I still think starting out with 2 good speakers is the best (as opposed to a cheap 5.1 setup) if you do indeed plan on having more funds to throw at it in the future.

Just remember, chances are, if you start out with just a pair of bookshelfs, you might feel the low end bass stuff is lacking. That's why myself, and others have recommended just starting out with towers, because that will give you a little more low end, generally.

Also, others could maybe comment here, but with a baby crawling around, I'm not sure but a tower might be a little safer than bookshelfs on stands...IDK.
post #96 of 161 Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

I know many of you have mentioned and recommend the Denon E300. Right now woot is have a deal on the 1513 for $99.00 with 15 hours left or until sold out. I understand it doesn't have the networking or audyessy, but $99.00 is cheap! What does the community think before I order the E300 for $189 (didn't get a chance to order it last night).

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/d...r-a-v-receiver

Last edited by Curlyp; 07-12-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #97 of 161 Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know many of you have mentioned and recommend the Denon E300. Right now woot is have a deal on the 1513 for $99.00 with 15 hours left or until sold out. I understand it doesn't have the networking or audyessy, but $99.00 is cheap! What does the community think before I order the E300 for $189 (didn't get a chance to order it last night).

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/d...r-a-v-receiver
That is a helluva a deal. Can't even buy a used receiver for that kind of money! Then again if you can get the E300 for $189.00 then I would probably buy it for the better connectivity options but it is your money not mine.
post #98 of 161 Old 07-12-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Go ask the denon guys on their threads, you'll probably get a lot of answers.
post #99 of 161 Old 07-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Hi Math-Geek I just got out of best buy and tested a few speakers. The Pioneer Andrew Jones towers and bookshelf sound really nice. On the setup that best buy had you could either listen to the bookshelf plus the center or the center and the towers, but not all 5.

Both the bookshelf and the towers sound really nice. I could tell a difference with the towers though as they had a fuller sound over the bookshelf. However, I noticed most of the voice came out of the center and sound effects came out of the towers or bookshelf. Is that supposed to happen or does best buy have it setup incorrectly?

Now, I wish I could hear the HTD level two and level three' s to compare!

Oh, I did not see the Marshall Stanford speaker there.
Here is a review of the AJ Pioneers: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...neer-sp-pk52fs
post #100 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post
Just FYI in case you don't know, Best Buy now price matches.

Also, yes, a center channel does most of the voices when one is used in a surround sound setup. A center channel is a big deal, so normally you get as big of a one as you can. For example, 3 towers across the front would actually be better than 2 towers and a smaller center. Most people can't fit a tower in the center, so the chose a center designed specifically for that duty. You see some people go with bookshelfs, and a center, where the center is actually bigger than the bookshelfs.

Yeah, the center is very important. It's hard to do this all at once with your budget. I still think starting out with 2 good speakers is the best (as opposed to a cheap 5.1 setup) if you do indeed plan on having more funds to throw at it in the future.

Just remember, chances are, if you start out with just a pair of bookshelfs, you might feel the low end bass stuff is lacking. That's why myself, and others have recommended just starting out with towers, because that will give you a little more low end, generally.

Also, others could maybe comment here, but with a baby crawling around, I'm not sure but a tower might be a little safer than bookshelfs on stands...IDK.
Hmmm, good point. Wouldn't want him to grab the stand and pull it (worst case scenario). Oh, when my wife and I were at Best Buy, she liked the look of the towers better than the bookshelfs on a stand. In some cases the towers would be the same price or cheaper after purchasing the stands.

Question on this center that could fit into my budget. Many have mentioned to make sure all three speakers in the front are the same brand. I was looking on Frys.com and came across a JBL center channel on sale.

JBL 150-watt, Dual Two-Way Center-Channel Speaker (Loft 20) -$59.99 free shipping http://www.frys.com/product/7327174

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, just came across this tower (is this a joke or a miss price? It will let me add it to my cart for $9.99)

JBL CST56 TOWER EACH - $9.99
http://www.frys.com/product/6749905?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Just saw this Klipsch floorstanding on sale for $149.00 (reg $399.00)
KLIPSCH Floorstanding Speaker - Sold as Each (Synergy F-20)
http://www.frys.com/product/8069564?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Last edited by Curlyp; 07-13-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #101 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

You want the front three to be the same series, from that particular Manufacturer. Just because it's the same brand does not mean they will go together well. But if they are the same series (or whatever the term is) then they were meant to be used together.

Yeah, you can get away with mixing stuff together, but it could turn out weird.
post #102 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
fwiw, take a look at the infinity p363's at worldwide stereo for $200 ea. free ship. imo very good price/sound ratio. would give you good bass too until you purchase a sub.better efficient speakers than than the pioneers.as for recievers I would opt for something with room correction like audyssey like the denon avr e300 . get you to your $600 budget. just another recommendation. the htd level 2 speakers would be close behind

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out

Last edited by smasher50; 07-13-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #103 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You want the front three to be the same series, from that particular Manufacturer. Just because it's the same brand does not mean they will go together well. But if they are the same series (or whatever the term is) then they were meant to be used together.

Yeah, you can get away with mixing stuff together, but it could turn out weird.
Thanks.

What speaker wire would you recommend. I went to our local Radio Shack and they have many to choose from. Is speaker wire mainly all the same?
post #104 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post
fwiw, take a look at the infinity p363's at worldwide stereo for $200 ea. free ship. imo very good price/sound ratio. would give you good bass too until you purchase a sub.better efficient speakers than than the pioneers.as for recievers I would opt for something with room correction like audyssey like the denon avr e300 . get you to your $600 budget. just another recommendation. the htd level 2 speakers would be close behind
Thanks smasher50. I did a quick review on them and there is some controversy about the Ohms. Infinity rates them at 8Ohms and others have said they are 4 Ohms. Would I have a problem powering them with the AVR-E300?
Source : Which is the better speaker value, Infinity Primus P363 or JBL ES80?
post #105 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

fwiw, I have read and heard many of people who own them and have no issues of their avrs powering them.(I have yet to hear from someone that their avr was damaged from powering them. if it comes down to overpowering your speakers the avr will shut down first ) they are rated at 8 ohm but do dip into the 4 ohm realm as do many speakers. as long as they are not driven at concert levels for a long period of time they should be fine.(that goes for pretty much all speakers in this budget).they are very efficient so it does not take a lot of power to get them loud. and I doubt that you will ever use the full power from your avr for any reason. especially in a room your size. just my 2 cents

Last edited by smasher50; 07-13-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #106 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Here is a review of the AJ Pioneers: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...neer-sp-pk52fs
That review really says it all. The Pioneers are a ridiculous value, a budget entry into the world of Hi-Fi.
post #107 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered the Denon AVR-E300!
post #108 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I just ordered the Denon AVR-E300!
congrats. your now one step closer to the crazy, insane merry go round world of audio
charmerci likes this.

post #109 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post
congrats. your now one step closer to the crazy, insane merry go round world of audio
Woohoo, thanks! As soon as I receive it, I am going to Best Buy to "try" the Pioneer Andrew Jones at the house.
post #110 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Woohoo, thanks! As soon as I receive it, I am going to Best Buy to "try" the Pioneer Andrew Jones at the house.
that's really the best way to listen to speakers. also remember your room and speaker placement are going to be the biggest factors on the sound quality. good luck with your journey

Last edited by smasher50; 07-13-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #111 of 161 Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.

What speaker wire would you recommend. I went to our local Radio Shack and they have many to choose from. Is speaker wire mainly all the same?
From what I understand, yeah basically.

I've purchased speaker wire from Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable, who are both forum sponsors last I check.

There's a table somebody made that shows what gauge you need based on the length of your wire run. 16 gauge works for most runs, with 12, and possibly 10 for longer, but most the time it's overkill to get 12 or 10 gauge from what I understand.

Measure, buy a little extra, and it's probably something you could go ahead and order. Monoprice is usually very inexpensive, so I'm not sure if RadioShack can beat them. Their Hdmi cables are priced low as well, along with most everything they sell. Blue Jeans Cable sells more expensive but probably better constructed cables and wires. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from both places. You'll have to factor some of that stuff into the budget.
post #112 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Funny, demoed my system for a friend tonight, he remarked how "old school" it was that I had big speakers, now that one could do great sound with tiny, unobtrusive speakers. I had to explain that sadly the Boses of the world are still bound by the laws of physics.

It's fascinating how lossy digital compression and a focus on component size and aesthetics over sound have really led to a degradation of the mainstream audio experience, yet people are largely unaware of that.
Marc Wielage and math-geek like this.
post #113 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In a very similar boat as the OP and was watching this thread as it progressed.

I placed an order for the E300 off the accessories site this morning and I also spoke with Dennis and ordered a pair of his new Affordable Audio Pioneer towers after catching wind of them from his dedicated thread.

Both should be getting in next week and I'll be reporting my thoughts in his thread. If you want my thoughts on them in here as well, just let me know Curlyp!
post #114 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by draco159 View Post

I also spoke with Dennis and ordered a pair of his new Affordable Audio Pioneer towers after catching wind of them from his dedicated thread.

Both should be getting in next week and I'll be reporting my thoughts in his thread. If you want my thoughts on them in here as well, just let me know Curlyp!
Ordering the modified towers was a smart decision - he takes the Pioneer speakers to another level

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #115 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

I placed an order for the E300 off the accessories site this morning and I also spoke with Dennis and ordered a pair of his new Affordable Audio Pioneer towers after catching wind of them from his dedicated thread.

Can you link to his thread? Please pm me what the price of the modified speakers are as well (if you don't mind).

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; 07-14-2014 at 11:05 AM.
post #116 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Can you link to his thread?
Sure, no problem

Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy
post #117 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Draco159 - Thank would be great. I am interested to hear what you have to say.
post #118 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curious, would it be appropriate to just tell us the price of the modified towers? I'm honestly not sure. I assume so, since from what I understand is that he just hasn't updated his website yet. His website has a price for the matching bookshelfs, a limited run...shown here... http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-m...ages/AALS.html

Last edited by mphfrom77; 07-14-2014 at 06:10 PM.
post #119 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Curious, would it be appropriate to just tell us the price of the modified towers? I'm honestly not sure. I assume so, since from what I understand is that he just hasn't updated his website yet. His website has a price for the matching bookshelfs, a limited run...shown here... http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-m...ages/AALS.html
$275 a pair, plus shipping

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #120 of 161 Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how much he has to charge for shipping, and where they are located.

Last edited by mphfrom77; 07-14-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - strdh-830 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page