Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 161 Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Novice looking for advice on first home theater

Hello AV Community,

I am new to the AV forums and a novice with it comes to purchasing AV equipment and/or setting it up. I am seeking the communities advice on which receiver and speakers would be the best bang for my budget for my current room setup (and is scalable for a bigger and/or smaller room in the future).

Budget

Currently, my budget is around $500 -$600. Yes, I know that may not be much, but as the rest of the year goes on and into 2015, I will slowly add to the collection. I know that I won’t be able to buy everything brand new and the latest and greatest (which I am okay with); however, I am open and have been looking at some older systems/speakers. I addition to my budget price, room space is going to come into play. From what I have read, certain types of speakers and brands are only good for certain room types. Which is why I would like to purchase one that is scalable up to a bigger room or down to a smaller room.

First, before we get into what brands I have been researching, let me give you my room dimensions.

Back wall (leads into the Kitchen)

- 214” full wall - part of it is a 72”wall with a window that overlooks into the kitchen

Left side wall (leads to front door and hallway)
- 187” full wall - part of it is a 72” wall that leads to the front door and hallway

Right wall

- 187” full wall

Front wall (Entertainment center)
- 219 1/2” full wall - the left part of the wall is open to the doorway and hallway

I also uploaded a diagram of the room to point out the open spots.

Receiver

The receiver brand I have been looking into is Onkyo for three reason. One, from the research I have done, the brand offers quite of bit features for a reasonable price. Two, from what a buddy has told me, the best receivers come from companies that don’t make speakers, i.e., Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, and so on. Three,

The Onkyo model I am looking into purchasing is TX-NR535. This model includes six HDMI ports and had built in WiFi. In addition, if I were to purchase Bose, this receiver brand and model is recommend by Bose.

Speakers

I find this to be the most difficult decision when planning out my home setup. There are literately a dozen brands of speakers to choose from. As I mentioned in my budget, I would like to purchase speakers that are scalable to a bigger and smaller room.

Bose

The first set of speakers/sub I have been looking at is Bose. Mainly because many people rate them as the “cream of the crop” when it comes to speakers (plus the bonus to the small sleek size). I have been to the Bose store a few times and I am impressed with the sound they are able to pack in a small 3” cube!

Bose is fairly expensive for their packages. However, their Acoustimass 6 Series III is only $699.95 brand new. I found some used Acoustimass 6 Series I (1996) and Series II (2001) on Craigslist, bay, and our local AV resale for $100 - $250.

There is one major downfall to Bose though. From what I have been told and read on the forums, Bose speakers only work well in a certain size room for all four walls. If the sound doesn’t have room to bounce off of or is too big, the quality is diminished. With that said, I am not 100% sure if Bose would work for my current setup and/or is scalable.

Bowers & Wilkins (B&W)

I do not know much about the brand; however, I read a few forums and B&W was recommended several times for their quality.

Polk Audio

Again, I don’t know much about the brand; however, my buddies home theater setup consists of Polk Audio speakers, and he swears up and down about the brand. The downfall to his speakers is they are huge floor standing speakers. I do like the look of the small sleek size though.

Conclusion

My budget is sort of small and I have an oddly shaped room with several openings which might make it difficult to keep the sound contained. The good thing is this will not be the theater room forever! Based on the information that I have provided and my budget, what would you recommend as the "best" bang for my budget?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram of room.png
Views:	35
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	152210  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 Old 07-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Since you're willing to spend more later, I suggest you start out with a 2.1 speaker system and get the center and surrounds later.

So here's your receiver.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...d-ready/1.html

Can't do better for that amount!

Here's your sub.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-629

And start with these speakers -

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html

That's about $600 and will blow away any Bose system.

Outside of getting the center channel speaker from Ascend, you can get something cheaper from another company for the surrounds.
darthray and skipford like this.

Last edited by charmerci; 07-07-2014 at 11:01 PM.
post #3 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Receiver: I would go with a Denon unit, you generally get a better version of Audyssey with Denon, and Onkyo receivers are notorious for running hot. The AVR-1513 is a good option recommended above, but I would try to go with the AVR-E300 instead, you get networking and Audyssey, which make a big difference in convenience and sound quality, respectively.

Sub: Hard to beat the SUB-1200, good recommendation. The next step up would be a BIC F-12, and beyond that the NXG BAS 500.

You have a lot of speaker options, those Ascends would be very good, also take a look at EMP, HSU, HTD, and Arx. I agree going with a 2.1 system to start is a smarter decision. Build things over time and you come out ahead. Whatever you do, stay far far away from Bose. They have the best marketing department in the world, and need it to sell the junk they have. As was said above, a nice 2.1 system will be an immense upgrade over anything Bose.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyp View Post
Hello AV Community,

I am new to the AV forums and a novice with it comes to purchasing AV equipment and/or setting it up. I am seeking the communities advice on which receiver and speakers would be the best bang for my budget for my current room setup (and is scalable for a bigger and/or smaller room in the future).

Budget

Currently, my budget is around $500 -$600. Yes, I know that may not be much, but as the rest of the year goes on and into 2015, I will slowly add to the collection. I know that I won’t be able to buy everything brand new and the latest and greatest (which I am okay with); however, I am open and have been looking at some older systems/speakers. I addition to my budget price, room space is going to come into play. From what I have read, certain types of speakers and brands are only good for certain room types. Which is why I would like to purchase one that is scalable up to a bigger room or down to a smaller room.

First, before we get into what brands I have been researching, let me give you my room dimensions.

Back wall (leads into the Kitchen)

- 214” full wall - part of it is a 72”wall with a window that overlooks into the kitchen

Left side wall (leads to front door and hallway)
- 187” full wall - part of it is a 72” wall that leads to the front door and hallway

Right wall

- 187” full wall

Front wall (Entertainment center)
- 219 1/2” full wall - the left part of the wall is open to the doorway and hallway

I also uploaded a diagram of the room to point out the open spots.

Receiver

The receiver brand I have been looking into is Onkyo for three reason. One, from the research I have done, the brand offers quite of bit features for a reasonable price. Two, from what a buddy has told me, the best receivers come from companies that don’t make speakers, i.e., Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, and so on. Three,

The Onkyo model I am looking into purchasing is TX-NR535. This model includes six HDMI ports and had built in WiFi. In addition, if I were to purchase Bose, this receiver brand and model is recommend by Bose.

Speakers

I find this to be the most difficult decision when planning out my home setup. There are literately a dozen brands of speakers to choose from. As I mentioned in my budget, I would like to purchase speakers that are scalable to a bigger and smaller room.

Bose

The first set of speakers/sub I have been looking at is Bose. Mainly because many people rate them as the “cream of the crop” when it comes to speakers (plus the bonus to the small sleek size). I have been to the Bose store a few times and I am impressed with the sound they are able to pack in a small 3” cube!

Bose is fairly expensive for their packages. However, their Acoustimass 6 Series III is only $699.95 brand new. I found some used Acoustimass 6 Series I (1996) and Series II (2001) on Craigslist, bay, and our local AV resale for $100 - $250.

There is one major downfall to Bose though. From what I have been told and read on the forums, Bose speakers only work well in a certain size room for all four walls. If the sound doesn’t have room to bounce off of or is too big, the quality is diminished. With that said, I am not 100% sure if Bose would work for my current setup and/or is scalable.

Bowers & Wilkins (B&W)

I do not know much about the brand; however, I read a few forums and B&W was recommended several times for their quality.

Polk Audio

Again, I don’t know much about the brand; however, my buddies home theater setup consists of Polk Audio speakers, and he swears up and down about the brand. The downfall to his speakers is they are huge floor standing speakers. I do like the look of the small sleek size though.

Conclusion

My budget is sort of small and I have an oddly shaped room with several openings which might make it difficult to keep the sound contained. The good thing is this will not be the theater room forever! Based on the information that I have provided and my budget, what would you recommend as the "best" bang for my budget?
Is the $500/600 budget for receiver speakers and sub or just for speakers and sub.
post #5 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I do not have them, but hear them mentioned a lot so i will throw it out. Speakers wise, you could consider the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. Not sure how they compare to the other options.
post #6 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Honestly, I would consider used equipment. I think you should tell us your location and someone could possibly point out a possible good deal on your local craigslist. Also AVS here has a good classified section. I purchased my subwoofer off of AVS's classified section. I've got a buddy I game with who bought a Denon AVR off of craigslist. (Funny...the seller of that avr on Craigslist ended up being Batpig, who is a nice guy here at AVS and a good read.) Emotiva is an audio brand and they have a pretty good classified section over on their forum. But finding something local to you would be beneficial because shipping speakers, subs and avr's between 2 individuals can get very expensive.

I think you should just start with a 2.0 system. This would allow you to spend more on a pair of speakers. Maybe just get a cheap 2 channel stereo used locally and an Apple TV or something as a stopgap for the time being. Starting out with a decent pair of speakers can be pretty nice I have found.

I started out with the speaker brand Energy, a pair of their RC-70 tower speakers...http://www.energy-speakers.com/produ...e-connoisseur/. I paid $800 for the pair. Energy Speakers is a company that has changed hands a few times over the last few years. Their Reference Connoisseur speakers are hard to find, but one store, Fry's, still sells them around the country from what I understand. They had a sale on the RC-70's a few weeks ago for $300 a speaker ($600/pair), but it was in store only. (Energy Owners Thread) They were selling the matching bookshelfs the other day for $210/pair. (Energy Owners Thread) Those prices are the cheapest they have ever been, but in store only. I can't get Fry's website to work at the moment or I'd link it.

I love my RC-70's. They do very well. I power them with a Denon 4311.

Doing a 2.0 system to start out allows you to possibly step of to a nicer class of speaker. I'm certain my pair of RC-70's would blow away any system Bose could offer at any price, and that is for any listening mode whether it be for movies or music.

Good luck. There are some good guys here. It's easy to get carried away though.
post #7 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Charmerci - thanks for the suggestions and links. Seems like the consensus from everyone is to start out with a decent pair of 2.1 speakers and work on building the 5.1 surround. Makes sense and honestly, the thought never crossed my mine.

A few people have recommended Denon for the receiver. The prices of the Denon receivers are attractive and fit the budget well. I see where you recommend the AVR-1513 for $109 and Transmanciacon recommended AVR-E300 for $189 (based on the networking and Audyssey - which I am not sure what it does). What do either of you think about the AVR-E200 for $159 on Amazon(http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E200...iglink20391-20)? The price is in the middle of the AVR-1513 and AVR-E300; however, I am not sure if the Audyssey is as good as the E300, or should I not even worry about Audyssey?

The price of the sub, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 is not bad either. Plus it is in manufactured in Dayton, Ohio which is about 1hr 30 min from me!

Bladerunner6 - yes, the $500-$600 is for the receiver, speaker, and sub. Later this year and in the beginning of next year I will continue to add on.

Warner2Bruce - thanks for the Pioneer Andrew Jones speaker recommendation. I will research them.

Mphfrom77 - thanks for the suggestion of considering used equipment locally and on the classified section of the forum(s). I am not opposed to buying used equipment. I went to a few local AV shops in my area, but really had no clue what I was looking for. The sales guys will try to sell you anything and say it is the best!

Wow, the RC-70s are nice, but good golly are they pricey! haha, definitely something to work towards as I grow my home theater. I have ran across the Energy brand on a few threads. I looked the company up and it seems they are associated (or an entity) with Klipsch.

Unfortunately, we don’t have Fry’s in Ohio. live in the Columbus, Ohio area. If anyone has any recommendations on some local Craigslist items, please let me know!

Thanks everyone for the recommendation on the different brands of speakers and equipment. I will check them out.
post #8 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
First, stay far away from (even run away from) Bose speakers - or any other speaker that has "woofers" smaller than 3" - you will get no mid-bass from these speakers and there will be a large dip in frequency response between 250Hz and 100Hz (highest frequency from the sub) making the sound "thin". Many sound bars have the same problem.

I second the recommendations for the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers, Polk speakers (check newegg.com for best prices), and Infinity Primus (check amazon.com) - I like Polk for the best budget systems - here are some suggestions:

Polk New Monitor Series (check Newegg.com - about $75 to $100 each - about $350 for 5 speakers ($450 if you get the larger fronts or better center speaker, $550 if you get both which I recommend) for the system below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-268-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-269-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-105-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-296-_-Product

Infinity Primus (check Amazon.com - about $75 to $100 each - $375 for 5 speakers ($480 if you get the tower floor speakers for the front)
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B004649W1Y
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B0046A8R5A
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B0044D178S

Get that Denon AVR from www.accessories4less.com and a budget (or used) sub (that you will probably eventually upgrade) and you have a whole system for under $575.

Then when you have money and want to upgrade your front speakers, your current fronts can move to surround duty, the surrounds can move to back surround, and you can upgrade your AVR to a 7.1 model. The great thing about paying less than $150 for an AVR is you can sell it on Craigslist for not much less than you paid as long as it still works.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD

Last edited by mtn-tech; 07-10-2014 at 12:05 AM.
post #9 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I was just looking at http://www.accessories4less.com/ and saw these KEF speakers - an LCR design meaning they can be used on end for L / R mains and on its side for center - three identical speakers across the front. The Polks are a safer bet because thousands have listened to them and recommend them, but these are wall mountable KEF speakers - one of the premier speaker builders. Just an idea.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-black/1.html

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #10 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wonder if this guy here at AVS is still looking for a buyer? Emotiva 7.0 Home Theater Speaker Package

Also, I did look at Columbus' Craigslist, and didn't necessarily see anything in your price ranges, but I could have missed something of course. I was a bit surprised to not see any SVS subs, because they are built in Ohio.

Yeah, Dayton Audio is in Dayton, OH. Parts Express is there as well, https://www.parts-express.com/. I believe they might be the same company, but I'm honestly not sure. I think Parts Express is the largest store in the U.S. for all things speaker parts. Lots of DIY guys here at AVS and around the country use Parts Express. I live in northern KY and went to their little warehouse store after work once to see if they had a particular pair of speakers. Their store was a little lacking in what you could actually listen to, but I would imagine they could sell you anything in their warehouse right there on the spot.

I'm not into the diy (do-it-yourself) audio...but one day I would like to try a few things. I believe an AVS guy operates this website out of Cincinnati as a hobby, if I am not mistaken...http://www.diysoundgroup.com/. A buddy of mine from AVS purchased 2 of their subwoofer flat packs and glued them together. He really likes them. (The rest of his parts came from Parts Express.) http://www.diysoundgroup.com/sealed-...flatpacks.html.

Last edited by mphfrom77; 07-08-2014 at 10:29 PM.
post #11 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Charmerci - thanks for the suggestions and links. Seems like the consensus from everyone is to start out with a decent pair of 2.1 speakers and work on building the 5.1 surround. Makes sense and honestly, the thought never crossed my mine.

A few people have recommended Denon for the receiver. The prices of the Denon receivers are attractive and fit the budget well. I see where you recommend the AVR-1513 for $109 and Transmanciacon recommended AVR-E300 for $189 (based on the networking and Audyssey - which I am not sure what it does). What do either of you think about the AVR-E200 for $159 on Amazon
The Audyssey is a computer software program inside the receiver that comes with a mic that you place in your listening position. It listens to your system/speakers and adjusts the entire sound frequencies (treble/hi frequency > midrange > bass/low frequencies) and adjusts their levels in the receiver for "optimal" sound. The 1513 and the E200 doesn't have it. So get the 1513 if you don't want it or the E300 if you do.
post #12 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
if you are living in a condo or apartment I would save your money and get the $100 bose. (junk)
if you are in your own home, look these over for less expensive products.
reconditioned sony strdh-830 7.1 AVR . $249 with new warranty 140 watts per channel.
start with some speakers BIC FH6-LCR dual 6.5-inch 175 watt. these at $108
I would get three of those bics for LR and center, good frequency 40hz to 20Kh but they really
go lower than advertised.
that should put you at less than $600.

or get two bic speakers and the bic sub the F12 it is at $185, but it will put you over the 600, at 650.
take your time. they all have free shipping.
there are a lot on here who do not favor Sony AVR but my last sony lasted 20 years
and my 1 year old strdh-830 is great at 7.1.
just some more options.....

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post
Wonder if this guy here at AVS is still looking for a buyer? Emotiva 7.0 Home Theater Speaker Package
That's quite a bit over the OP's present $600 budget.
post #14 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
since you are new, if you are a do it your self type check out the DIY forum
as there is a lot you can learn from the builders there.
also: Setting Up Your Home Theater 101

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 161 Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
That's quite a bit over the OP's present $600 budget.
Yeah...the asking price from a month ago is $400 over the $600 budget. May not work, just pointing it out since it was in his same city.
post #16 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Audyssey makes a big difference in sound quality. It uses a microphone placed a various positions in the room to analyze acoustics and smooth out your frequency response. A smoother frequency response means a more accurate sound and this is the goal. Most importantly, it will do the same for your sub, which will need the most help from room correction. The networking feature is not necessary, but very handy, as it allows you to stream things like Pandora and Spotify, or network music. You can also control the AVR via wifi from a smartphone or tablet. I think the E300 is a good option here, dropping down to the E200 or 1513 will take away Audyssey and networking.

Living Room

Computer
post #17 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mtn-tech – Thanks for the recommendations. I attempted to view the Newegg links for the Polk New Monitor series, but neither one of the links worked. I went to Newegg and searched for the Polk New Monitor series and found the following:

**New**

Polk Audio Monitor Series New Monitor 35B Compact Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair – $99.99/pair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290268&cm_re=polk_new_m onitor-_-82-290-268-_-Product
Polk Audio Monitor Series New Monitor 65T Three-Way Ported Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) Single – $139.99/each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290271&cm_re=polk_new_m onitor-_-82-290-271-_-Product
Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Floor Standing Loudspeaker Single - $129.99/each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117426

**OPEN BOX**

Polk Audio Monitor Series New Monitor 35B Compact Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair – $79.99/pair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290268R

Also, the Infinity Primus you recommended from Amazon are very nice too.
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B004649W1Y
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B0046A8R5A
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B0044D178S

How am I able to tell if I can use the above Polk Bookshelf, Polk Floorstanding, and the Pioneer Andrew Jones for Left, Right, Middle, Center, Back Left, or Back Right? Is there something in the description I should look for, or do I need to focus on the Khz, Hz, and Ohms /watts per channel?

In your second post you found the KEF speakers which are LCR (and say it) – I am guessing it means Left, Center, Right. When I look at speakers, should I make sure they state LCR and keep that in mind when purchasing?

KEF C6c Two Way 5¼" Center / Lcr Speaker Each Black- $119.99/each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefc6cblk/kef-c6c-two-way-5-center/lcr-speaker-each-black/1.html

I went back to the accessories4less.com and found the E200, for the same price as the 1513. In the description of the E200, it stated it was the replacement for the 1513. Would you recommend I go with the E200 over the 1513? Plus it is cheaper on shipping!

Denon AVR - 1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready - $109.99 | shipping $17.15
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

DENON AVR-E200 5.1 Channel 3D Home Theater Receiver- $109.99 | shipping $14.78
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre200/denon-avr-e200-5.1-channel-3d-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Mphfrom77 – If I was able to spend the 1k right now, I would seriously consider the Emotiva 7.0 Home Theater Speaker Package. Reading the post, it sounds amazing, I just cannot fork out the funds at this time. I really should (need) stay within my budget! Thanks for the suggestion though!

The DIY speaker kits do not look bad either – very appealing. Looking over one of the speaker kits, seems like you just bolt everything together. I am guessing I would need to find a way to cover the plain wood look to make it more visually appealing. However, thinking more about it, I would probably spend close the price of the bookshelf speakers (listed above) after visually making the box look nice.
Nexus MT – $77.00
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/nexus-mt.html

Charmerci – Thanks for explaining what Audyssey is and how it works. The feature seems nice to have. I think I might stick with one of the $109.99 receivers as it will give me more room for speakers now. Later on, I could upgrade to a better 7.1 Ch AVR with Audyssey.

Eaamon – I live in a house, which is why I want to start building a nice home theater systems. The Sony receiver, looks really nice, but I feel I could get more bang for my budget with the Denon receivers that others suggested. It will leave me more room to pick up speakers and a sub. I looked at the BIC’s you recommended and was able to find them a lot cheaper from Provantage. I see they are LCR and the website says they can be used for center, front main, rear, and surround channels of any system.
Bic Formula Dual 6 5 inch IW Horn Speaker – 86.48/each + shipping brings it to $106.00
http://www.provantage.com/bic-america-fh6-lcr~7BICA00R.htm

What is the community’s opinion on by all six speakers/sub in a theater package? Or is it better to piece all the speakers?

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (set of six) - $365.62
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404914204&sr=8-1&keywords=energy+5.1

Lastly, there is a TON of speakers to choose from, seems a little overwhelming, but I do not want to rush into any purchase. So, with that said, I do not feel I could ask which speaker (listed above) is the best – similar to cars Ford, Chevy, Lexus, BMW they are all good in the eye of the beholder, but what would be the best bang for my budget? Looking at them all, the Polk Audio seems really nice and fit the budget, but so does the Pioneer Andrew Jones!

I just noticed with my room setup, it will be hard for me to mount speakers on the wall as I have too much open space. With that said, if I end up buying bookshelf speakers I am going to need some stands. Any recommendations on a stand or are they pretty much all the same (just holds a speaker)?

Again, I really appreciate everyone’s help and time you have taken to assist me with my budget!
post #18 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I recommend starting with a 2.1 system. You can get a better foundation to start, and in the end will have a nicer system.

For a receiver, the Denon AVR-E300 is a good choice, it has some good features, plenty of power, and will be a worthwhile invested over the E200 or 1513.

For speakers, I would recommend a pair of bookshelves to start. I think the Infinity P163 is a good choice here, and they will work well as front speakers. Later on, add the PC351 center and maybe a pair of P143/P153 for surrounds.

With the last $200, go with a BIC F-12 sub woofer. It is a good choice for someone on a budget, and probably the best sub at it's price point. This will give you a great 2.1 system, that you can expand upon down the road.

Whichever way you go, it is important to keep the front three speakers matched. The surrounds and sub however do not need to match.

Living Room

Computer
post #19 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

"The downfall to his speakers is they are huge floor standing speakers. I do like the look of the small sleek size though."

Well, look is one thing but sound is another. Or volume at least. Small speakers, normally, just can't go near as loud as floor slanders. For me I've noticed this particularly with my parents small Energy Takes Classic 5.1 speakers coupled with their BIC F12. Listening to music those little speakers can't reach good volumes in stereo mode (2.1 speakers). Therefore I have to use all 5.1 speakers when listening to music. But for normal 5.1 home theater movie stuff, their little 5.1 set seems better, or louder sort of.

Are you going to be listening to music much, and just in general, how loud do you think you want your volumes to be?

"If I was able to spend the 1k right now, I would seriously consider the Emotiva 7.0 Home Theater Speaker Package. Reading the post, it sounds amazing, I just cannot fork out the funds at this time. I really should (need) stay within my budget!"

Alright, then see if he would consider $600. No harm, no foul in making an offer contingent upon inspection.

"With that said, if I end up buying bookshelf speakers I am going to need some stands. Any recommendations on a stand or are they pretty much all the same (just holds a speaker)?"

Well, with a floor standing speakers you wouldn't need speaker stands. I mean you don't want the speakers blocked by furniture, but the end result almost ends up the same = you spend the same money, eat the same floor space, yet the speakers are smaller and probably not as nice as you would get by just getting floor standers.

...Your might want to get a 4 year budget in mind or at least something longer term. I mean speakers can last a decade or two, or longer.

I still think, if you do plan on upgrading over time, that one should start out with the 2 best speakers you can afford. I honestly would put off the subwoofer purchase until you can get more funds. Same with the surround speakers. I'd probably look at adding either a subwoofer 2nd or possibly a center channel speaker. A slow upgrade process, not dictated by holiday sales.
post #20 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Small speaker = small sound!

bose speaker = bad sound (small drivers, no tweeter, cheap components)

I agree with the assessment that on that budget, you should go 2.0. get a decent AV reciever and the best two bookshelf speakers you can afford. 600 dollars just won't get a decent 5.1...unless you get a great used deal somewhere!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #21 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 462
The HTD Level Two speakers are real nice - and will hold there own and then some,
compared to some of the speakers listed in this thread.
Level Two bookshelf and center channel
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

Add a Denon receiver and Dayton sub (if you desire) - this would be a good start for you.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #22 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Transmaniacon, mphfrom77, Elihawk and Zieglj01 - thanks for your insight. I am going to focus on a good 2.0 - 2.1 (depending on sales) system to start with. Buy the best front speakers (bookshelf or floor standing) for now, and build onto.

Transmaniacon - After looking more into the AVR-300, I think that will be a good buy and should last me a while. The networking would be nice to have as well as the Audyessy to help make sure my room (with many open gaps) is receiving the best volume and sound.

You mentioned that the front three speakers have to match, but the surrounds and sub don’t have to match the front? Will that cause an influx in the quality of sound as each brand of speaker sounds different from one another respectively?

Mphfrom77
- To answer you question in regards to the use of the system, it will be mainly used for TV and Movie watching with some music here and there. Down the road I might play music more on it, but not as of right now.

“Well, with a floor standing speakers you wouldn't need speaker stands. I mean you don't want the speakers blocked by furniture, but the end result almost ends up the same = you spend the same money, eat the same floor space, yet the speakers are smaller and probably not as nice as you would get by just getting floor standers.”

What you said is correct, either way the bookshelf or floor standing speaks are going to take up the same amount of space. Aesthetically, I would like to see the look of a nice floorstanding speaker than a speaker stand holding a speaker. With this said, would you recommend the Polk Audio floor speaker I listed above from Newegg? Or, now that I have decided to go with floor standing speakers, is there another one you would recommend?

Elihawk - I like it! “Small speaker = small sound”. Is that the case with bookshelf vs floor standing speakers? Since floor standing ones are bigger, they should pump out more sound?

Zieglj01 - Thanks for the recommendation. The HTD have a nice simple clean look to them. The pair of the floor standing are $399! Them two and a receiver would be a nice start around $580 -$600.
post #23 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Your front three are more susceptible to differences in timbre because as effects pan across the front you will hear the difference. This is not the case with subs at all, and not an issue with surrounds. If you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, like SACD, then you may want matching surrounds, but it doesn't sound like it will be relevant for you.

Living Room

Computer
post #24 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
if you are living in a condo or apartment I would save your money and get the $100 bose. (junk)
Yes, condo or apartment residents should give up on decent sound...??

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #25 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Zieglj01 - Thanks for the recommendation. The HTD have a nice simple clean look to them. The pair of the floor standing are $399! Them two and a receiver would be a nice start around $580 -$600.
I for sure, would take that system over bookshelves with a lower budget subwoofer.

post #26 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Generally floor standing speakers have more drivers and more interior volume than bookshelf speakers, allowing them to go deeper and higher.

As I understand it, actually, floor standing speakers are easier to drive than bookshelf speakers, generally. Meaning it will take less power from the amplifier to achieve the same loudness/volume/ decibels. The louder you go / the harder you push your amp and speakers, the more obvious this becomes / the more headroom you run out of for the less sensitive bookshelf speaker for example. (less sensitive than the matching tower speakers)

So, actually, especially when pressed budget wise on an avr / amp, a larger speaker should help achieve a fuller, more enveloping sound, generally (from what I gather...but I'm no speaker avr guru...and actually I'm not sure how I found my way to this thread ).

Last edited by mphfrom77; 07-09-2014 at 12:13 PM.
post #27 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Transmaniacon - thanks for the explanation of matching the speakers.

zieglj01 - thanks! I just did some searching for more tower speakers and prices are pretty scattered. Some go from $99, to $120-$150, then $200 plus. Below are some that I found between the $120 - $150 price range per speaker.

BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower Speaker, Black - $127.01
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Ve...tower+speakers

BIC America Venturi DV84 2-Way Tower Speaker, Black - $150.20

Infinity Primus P253 Two-way dual 5-1/4-Inch Floorstanding Speaker - $149.95
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu...tower+speakers

Now when I was looking at different towers, some were two-channel and some were three-channel. What should I focus on at this point, two-channel and work my way up to three-channel?

mphfrom77 - I wasn’t sure what you meant by ‘drivers’ so I had to look it up. From what I have gathered, a driver is what powers each woofer in the speaker. If the tower has three woofers, than there are three drivers. Did I understand that correctly?

I am not sure how you ended up on this thread either (haha ), but I am glad you did. You have been very helpful and the advice is appreciated.
post #28 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

zieglj01 - thanks! I just did some searching for more tower speakers and prices are pretty scattered. Some go from $99, to $120-$150, then $200 plus. Below are some that I found between the $120 - $150 price range per speaker.

BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower Speaker, Black - $127.01

BIC America Venturi DV84 2-Way Tower Speaker, Black - $150.20

Infinity Primus P253 Two-way dual 5-1/4-Inch Floorstanding Speaker - $149.95
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu...tower+speakers

Now when I was looking at different towers, some were two-channel and some were three-channel. What should I focus on at this point, two-channel and work my way up to three-channel?
I still prefer the HTD over all you listed

3-way (channel) does not guarantee you better sound - it all comes down to the design and engineering as a whole.
It comes down to what really sounds best per speaker (designed and engineered).

There are some 3-way speakers that sound better than 2-way > and there will be some 2-way speakers, that do sound
better than some 3-way. It takes more than just a box and drivers to make a speaker sound good.

post #29 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I still prefer the HTD over all you listed

3-way (channel) does not guarantee you better sound - it all comes down to the design and engineering as a whole.
It comes down to what really sounds best per speaker (designed and engineered).

There are some 3-way speakers that sound better than 2-way > and there will be some 2-way speakers, that do sound
better than some 3-way. It takes more than just a box and drivers to make a speaker sound good.
Thanks for your opinion. Am I able to use the Level Two Towers as rear speakers or do I need to use the level two surround speakers?

Level Two Surround
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...TWO-Surround_2

Level Two Tower
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...Tower-Speakers
post #30 of 161 Old 07-09-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Transmaniacon, mphfrom77, Elihawk and Zieglj01 - thanks for your insight. I am going to focus on a good 2.0 - 2.1 (depending on sales) system to start with. Buy the best front speakers (bookshelf or floor standing) for now, and build onto.

Transmaniacon - After looking more into the AVR-300, I think that will be a good buy and should last me a while. The networking would be nice to have as well as the Audyessy to help make sure my room (with many open gaps) is receiving the best volume and sound.

You mentioned that the front three speakers have to match, but the surrounds and sub don’t have to match the front? Will that cause an influx in the quality of sound as each brand of speaker sounds different from one another respectively?

Mphfrom77 - To answer you question in regards to the use of the system, it will be mainly used for TV and Movie watching with some music here and there. Down the road I might play music more on it, but not as of right now.

“Well, with a floor standing speakers you wouldn't need speaker stands. I mean you don't want the speakers blocked by furniture, but the end result almost ends up the same = you spend the same money, eat the same floor space, yet the speakers are smaller and probably not as nice as you would get by just getting floor standers.”

What you said is correct, either way the bookshelf or floor standing speaks are going to take up the same amount of space. Aesthetically, I would like to see the look of a nice floorstanding speaker than a speaker stand holding a speaker. With this said, would you recommend the Polk Audio floor speaker I listed above from Newegg? Or, now that I have decided to go with floor standing speakers, is there another one you would recommend?

Elihawk - I like it! “Small speaker = small sound”. Is that the case with bookshelf vs floor standing speakers? Since floor standing ones are bigger, they should pump out more sound?

Curly, more to do with the size of the drivers than the size of the speaker enclosure...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - strdh-830 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page