AVS Forum banner

Infinity Reference owners thread

264K views 2K replies 236 participants last post by  biglen 
#1 ·
The new Infinity Reference lineup is now available and while I do not own anything from this particular lineup yet, I wanted to start an owners thread for us to have some discussion and post our thoughts.

So far there has only been one review that I can find and that is from the folks over at Home Theater Review. They got a review up of the R263 yesterday and I must say these speakers look appealing. When it's time to upgrade from my P363s I might just have to check these out.

http://hometheaterreview.com/measurements-i-also-did-full/

It's nice to see Infinity re-enter the premium sound market, especially at a lucrative price. Their Reference series have been missed by more than a few.

#5 ·
I would like to give the bookshelves a shot, nice to have another competitor in the $400-500 range.

#7 ·
really surprised there isn't more info on here about these.... That review seems awesome, and it appears there are sales out there for these. R263's for $309.97 with free shipping from wdgaselectronics.com, though I do not know how reputable that site is for business.

#9 · (Edited)
I went ahead and purchased the Infinity Reference RC263. I'll give you guys some impressions when I receive it. Until then I found another review which is of the lower model bookshelf, it's very positive though.

http://avproductreviews.com/infinity-reference-r152-review

The other review criticized the R263's bass but in this review one of the things the reviewer gloated about was the bass so I'm not sure what to think.

Reactions: Transmaniacon
#10 ·
Look forward to your review.

#12 ·
These seem like the perfect speakers for me because I don't really care about the bass I have a SB13 Ultra for that. I just want good mids and highs and a speaker with pretty good off axis response.

#13 ·
The Infinity R152 is a really nice speaker. It's bass response is a waaay better than it should be for a small speaker. It won't rattle the walls or anything, but it has very tight accurate bass.....mid range is very detailed also. With that in mind a subwoofer is still recommended, but you could get by without one. Haven't heard the towers yet but I'm sure they're on par with the 152's.

#16 ·
Receiving it today I'm so excited. Pics coming soon and maybe even some size comparison pics with my Ultra center. I know the Infinity center is supposed to be slightly bigger.

#18 ·
I haven't had alot of time to listen to the center but what I've heard so far I like. At first I thought it sounded bright but then I realized it's not bright it's just really detailed and airy in the treble. Everything sounds so much more detailed through it, it's hard to explain. I never heard Revel speakers or read reviews but I know they say these are similar. Those Revels must be ultra detailed allowing you to hear a pin dropped by the performer because the Infinity center sounds excellent and they say the Revels are even better. I'm very happy with my purchase. Also about the bass, it sounds very good to me and Audyssey crossed it over at 40hz so that shows how good it is right there.

Reactions: Lethean
#20 ·
Once a larger establishment like S&V or Audioholics reviews them, they will probably gain some popularity.

#22 ·
I currently have the Primus 363s and a Primus 351 center channel. I was using 2 older Entra series OWS on wall surround speakers. They have worked ok but because of there placement on the back wall the surround wasn't the greatest. I just bought and received the Reference RS152 surround speakers. I have not hung them yet, but they sound quite good. I am hoping they can diffuse the sound well mounted against the back wall. I will update once I have them mounted and calibrated.

I did notice that Crutchfield now shows the RS152 as discontinued. It is showing for the other Reference series also. Does anyone know if this is true? They have been out for maybe 2 months.

Teddy

#23 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how accurate it is. Infinity has them listed for 449 but when I go to Crutchfield it says the RS152, along with therest of the Reference series, is discontinued.

The Infinity site lists the R 263 as sold out, Amazon only has 8 of the 253 in stock so either there is limited supply or just high demand.

#28 ·
I may jump in too. I've been scouring the web looking for something to replace my Infinity IL10s. The Primus line looked really cheap compared to the Interlude series so that was a no go. It's currently going to be between the Chane A1r-xc (shown) or Infinity Reference 162.

Strictly a 2.0 system for my desktop computer.

I'll report back on which I go with and, if I go with the 162, how they sound compared to my IL10s I've been using for the last 10 years.

#29 ·
I am in the same situation, using IL10s for more than 10 years and quite happy with them. I was also searching to replace all my infinities for an upgraded sound but so far my search told me that until unless I spend quite a lot interlude series pretty hard to beat. I would love to hear your impressions once you get the new speakers.

#30 ·
I actually went with the SVS Ultra Bookshelf ($1000) and while the bass was superb, the tweeter was not at all to my liking. It felt over powering. Now I am deciding between a set of used Interludes (2xIL40, 2xIL10, 1xIL25C) or starting out with the new Infinity References R162 and building from there.

I would really like to listen to the Chanes, but I can't risk being unsatisfied with them and spending a good $50-60 shipping back.

#32 · (Edited)
I just got a pair of r152's and love them. These are great bookshelf speakers for the money. I ended up getting killer deal on ebay and found them for $100. One of the best $100 i've ever spent.

If I was going to do my whole home theater over again, these would be on my short list of reasonably priced speakers.

I did a pretty detailed review of them with measurements you can find here http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2015/12/infinity-reference-r152-infinitys-high.html

#33 ·
I just got a pair of r152's and love them. These are great bookshelf speakers for the money. I ended up getting killer deal on ebay and found them for $100. One of the best $100 i've ever spend.

If I was going to do my whole home theater over again, these would be on my short list of reasonably priced speakers.

I did a pretty detailed review of them with measurements you can find here http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2015/12/infinity-reference-r152-infinitys-high.html
Great write-up! I always enjoy your reviews as it's nice to see some real-world measurements to back up what you are hearing. I would love to give these a try, need to keep my eye out for any sales on them. The biggest issue with the Primus for me was their brighter than average sound, but it sounds the new Reference series is a bit more even.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.