True Bookshelf speakers (actually in a bookshelf) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Transmaniacon
  • 1 Post By mtn-tech
  • 1 Post By Deckard97

post #1 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
True Bookshelf speakers (actually in a bookshelf)

People,
I used this site to much success about 7 years and set up a beautiful living room when I was a single man.
Life has moved on...I have moved to a new house on the west coast and have a family. I just sold all my audio equipment as it was not suitable for the new living room.

Right now I have a room that has 3 built in shelves either side of the fireplace. I plan to set up a nice system again but it will have to be more "Stealth" than my previous set up....upside is I can spend a bit more money.

I had my heart set on the ascend accoustics, Sierra 1 for the fronts and a matching center channel.
The Sierra 1 fronts would have been mounted at ear level in the top shelf (not the actual top but the highest enclosed bookshelf. The center would have been high mounted to the wall above a 55 inch samsung.
However everything I am reading tells me that this will not work due to the rear porting of these speakers and the lack of room behind them.

I am looking for advice on a front ported bookshelf speaker.
This is a multi funtion room...not a dedicated home theater room. I dont mind spending a bit of money but I do not want the speakers or the system to dominate the room.
I have already drawn up an enclosure to turn the bottom right shelf into an enclosed cabinet. Needs to be deeper to hide all the AV equipment. Having a cabinet maker do nice doors and i will have fans running air through it for cooling...but to the living room all wires and equipment will be totally hidden other than lights through the glass.
ideally - I would like to go just 5 speakers...no sub for now (wife is not into huge bass and to honest...with the last system I regularly did not run the sub).
I guess I should put costing info in...looking to keep 3 front speakers combined to around the $1500 level.
Size is a factor - left and right should not be more than 10 inches deep. Must be able to function correctly in the enclosed area.
Astetics is also a factor. I loved the bamboo finish on the ascent set up...this would be ideal!

I understand that these kind of limitations are alien to a lot of folk on here...but would appreciate your help. We live in the city with 3 kids and while its a lovely house...its not big enough to have a "dedicated" AV room and concessions must be made.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Irish View Post
People,

The center would have been high mounted to the wall above a 55 inch samsung.
However everything I am reading tells me that this will not work due to the rear porting of these speakers and the lack of room behind them.

I am looking for advice on a front ported bookshelf speaker.
This is a multi funtion room...not a dedicated home theater room. I dont mind spending a bit of money but I do not want the speakers or the system to dominate the room.
I have already drawn up an enclosure to turn the bottom right shelf into an enclosed cabinet. Needs to be deeper to hide all the AV equipment. Having a cabinet maker do nice doors and i will have fans running air through it for cooling...but to the living room all wires and equipment will be totally hidden other than lights through the glass.
ideally - I would like to go just 5 speakers...no sub for now (wife is not into huge bass and to honest...with the last system I regularly did not run the sub).
I guess I should put costing info in...looking to keep 3 front speakers combined to around the $1500 level.
Size is a factor - left and right should not be more than 10 inches deep. Must be able to function correctly in the enclosed area.

Thanks

Hi there,

I've been checking all the brands I'm familiar with...all of them are rear ported. Are you positive that you cannot use a rear firing monitor?

SVS has an ultra set with a beautiful center channel. It would only exceed your budget by a couple hundred. But it has the port in the back. I'll give them a call to discuss the port issue...

Bri
post #3 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
Hi there,

I've been checking all the brands I'm familiar with...all of them are rear ported. Are you positive that you cannot use a rear firing monitor?

SVS has an ultra set with a beautiful center channel. It would only exceed your budget by a couple hundred. But it has the port in the back. I'll give them a call to discuss the port issue...

Bri
I am not positive at all...actually I dont know!

I AM POSITVE that the speaker will have to sit in an enclosed shelf. There will be 2 inches of room behind it or so. If I go with the guidelines for positioning rear ported speakers (Sierra 1) they all seem to indicate that 1 to 2 feet of space behind the speaker is optimal.

I am an engineer (mechanical) and it would seem kind of silly to me to go for what I consider a high end speaker and then position them in a way that seriously hinders their performance.

....But I dont know. Maybe I am wrong here...

What is totally out of the question is putting the speakers on stands. Small kids and I want the system for entertaining and also for movie nights with the wife, what I dont want is it taking up floor space when the kids are doing their thing in the day.

Cheers.

post #4 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 2098
I imagine Ascend Acoustics is not the only bookshelf speaker maker that offers plugs (Q plugs) for their rear ported speakers, Ascend offers Sierra 1 or 2s. My Sierra 2s (that were once 1s) reside in an enclosure (custom built wall unit) and sound great. The 2s unlike the 1s do not require the Q plug per the speaker maker's recommendation. 3 Sierra 1s would be under your budget, Q plugs cost a few dollars a piece. Highly recommend Ascend, and you can upgrade your 1s to 2s in the future budget permitting.

post #5 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Svs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Irish View Post
I am not positive at all...actually I dont know!

I AM POSITVE that the speaker will have to sit in an enclosed shelf. There will be 2 inches of room behind it or so. If I go with the guidelines for positioning rear ported speakers (Sierra 1) they all seem to indicate that 1 to 2 feet of space behind the speaker is optimal.

I am an engineer (mechanical) and it would seem kind of silly to me to go for what I consider a high end speaker and then position them in a way that seriously hinders their performance.

....But I dont know. Maybe I am wrong here...

What is totally out of the question is putting the speakers on stands. Small kids and I want the system for entertaining and also for movie nights with the wife, what I dont want is it taking up floor space when the kids are doing their thing in the day.

Cheers.

I just spoke with SVS, from their experience the monitors sound quality will not be impacted by your specifications. The speakers are about 10 inches deep, and fairly small in size.

The rear port should not be a problem because there's only a limited amount of air pumping out.
( unlike a sub )

Hopefully he's an honest tech guy

best of luck!

Brian
post #6 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
I just spoke with SVS, from their experience the monitors sound quality will not be impacted by your specifications. The speakers are about 10 inches deep, and fairly small in size.

The rear port should not be a problem because there's only a limited amount of air pumping out.
( unlike a sub )

Hopefully he's an honest tech guy

best of luck!

Brian
The port allows for more extension, so if a speaker is rear ported, there is a certain amount of space you would want to give them to get a fuller sound. Maybe it wont matter if a sub is involved, though.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I agree with you that you shouldn't be putting a rear ported bookshelf speaker on a bookshelf (kind of strange they even make them that way!). There are quite a few front ported speakers - I made a list last year for my office system but I didn't keep it - there were some Polks, Warfdale, Focal, and others on the list - some were old models that were only available used. Here is just one of them:

Polk Audio RTI A1-Cherry High Performance Bookshelf Speaker Pair - $324 - I've listened to these and liked them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-153-_-Product

Even better, how about a non-ported speaker - take a look at the NHT Classic 2 or NHT Classic 3 (you didn't mention your budget). I own a pair of the Classic Two and I love them. Compared them to my Paradigm Studio which cost many times more and they sounded nearly as good:

NHT Classic Two Bookshelf Speaker - Black - Acoustic Suspension
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black?sc=...y=3772#image-3

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #8 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Here is a world class bookshelf speaker - again front ported. These are amazing but expensive.

Paradigm Studio 20
http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur.../page=overview

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #9 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hey there,

Having rear ported speakers in a enclosed space like that will affect bass performance. How? I wouldn't be able to tell you, perhaps with enough information regarding the dimensions of your self and speaker positioning there are some people here who would be able to tell you what to expect. Most likely it will be somewhat detrimental to the sound quality, but you can plug the port. This will raise the bass rolloff and may lower the efficiency just a little, which may not be desirable in your case since you don't want to use a sub.

As for an alternative, I'd recommend the Philharmonitors which I believe are front ported. I haven't heard the Sierra's so I can't directly compare them but I've read posts from other people here who have and found them to be comparable. They are 10.25" deep though, don't know if the quarter inch matters that much but though I'd mention it. It's a very good speaker and is worth considering.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
+1 to the NHT recommendation, you could get the Classic 3 front sound stage for exacty $1500. The sealed design means you can put them just about anywhere, and they sound great. Later on add a compact sealed sub like the SVS SB-2000 and you have a nice setup.
mtn-tech likes this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #11 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Here is a world class bookshelf speaker - again front ported. These are amazing but expensive.

Paradigm Studio 20
This just always happens don't it....the budget of 1500 for 3 speakers now at serious risk

My last set up was Polk.
Was looking to change from Polk...but these with a matching center are going to blow significantly past 1500.
However...thank you! Food for thought.
post #12 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

Paradigm Studio 20

These speakers performed well in my previous setup. They are not world class, but sound very good. But compared to the Polks mentioned earlier, these Paradigms are world class.

Paradigm's Signature speakers are indeed world class. But that would cost $3400 opposed to $1500

Go for the NHT package instead of the polks.

Last edited by Deckard97; 07-08-2014 at 12:49 PM.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
The Philharmonitor is a nice/good option - a picture of the speaker
http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-m...bookshelf.html

Also the NHT Classic Three

Plus, the MB Quart Alexxa B1 - on good closeout pricing
By 2 pair and have a spare speaker
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24