Mounting Micro Speakers on TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mounting Micro Speakers on TV?

I've got a 57" Plasma. Cable box, Xbox, Receiver. I've got a TV stand/cabinet that is as wide as the TV that houses the components and has a couple drawers for controllers, etc. I am moving from a home to a condo (rental.) I want to be minimalist. So I'm thinking of replacing my floor standing Klipsch speakers with a 5.1 micro setup (like Cambridge Minx, Boston Soundware XS, Energy Micro).

I'm trying to figure out the cleanest way to mount the speakers without having the TV mounted to the wall. Here's some ideas:

a) Screw some metal mounting plates into the back of the TV on top. Downside - drilling holes in the TV could damage. Transfer of vibrations from speakers to TV.

b) Use micro speaker stands placed behind TV. Downside: Can't mount center channel this way, have extra clutter of stands sitting on top of cabinet behind TV. Come to think of it, I should probably but the center at the base of the TV instead of on top for better imaging.

c) Mount on wall behind TV. Space between TV and wall will allow speakers wires to be scene from the side which is how you walk into the room from the side of the TV. I suppose if I pushed the TV as far back on top of the cabinet as possible, it would only be 7 or 8 inches between the wall and back of the TV. I could glue the wires to the wall and paint them the same color. So very hard to see if speakers are mounted on wall to they are just barely clearing the top of the TV. There's a fireplace on the left of TV so not good for imaging for people viewing from right side of TV with speakers set on the wall in the corner of the edge of the fireplace. That's why I want to mount them on the TV itself to bring them out. Other soultion would be to get a pedestal stand that allows the TV to be as close to the wall as a wall mount and slide that behind/under the cabinet. But then I really don't need to raise the TV much if any, so sort of overkill just to get the TV a few inches closer to the wall. Duh, I suppose I can drill holes in wall to run wires from base of wall up to speakers. Easily patched later.

d) Mount telescoping arms on the wall to position the speakers slightly in front of the TV. Never seen anything like this, and three arms protruding off the wall probably too much clutter but maybe not bad if it only has to stick out 10-12"?

e) Mounting on top of cabinet is not an option it's too low (stomach level when sitting on the sofa).

Last edited by Consultant; 07-08-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
I've got a 57" Plasma. Cable box, Xbox, Receiver. I've got a TV stand/cabinet that is as wide as the TV that houses the components and has a couple drawers for controllers, etc. I am moving from a home to a condo (rental.) I want to be minimalist. So I'm thinking of replacing my floor standing Klipsch speakers with a 5.1 micro setup (like Cambridge Minx, Boston Soundware XS, Energy Micro).

I'm trying to figure out the cleanest way to mount the speakers without having the TV mounted to the wall. Here's some ideas:

a) Screw some metal mounting plates into the back of the TV on top. Downside - drilling holes in the TV could damage. Transfer of vibrations from speakers to TV.

b) Use micro speaker stands placed behind TV. Downside: Can't mount center channel this way, have extra clutter of stands sitting on top of cabinet behind TV. Come to think of it, I should probably but the center at the base of the TV instead of on top for better imaging.

c) Mount on wall behind TV. Space between TV and wall will allow speakers wires to be scene from the side which is how you walk into the room from the side of the TV. I suppose if I pushed the TV as far back on top of the cabinet as possible, it would only be 7 or 8 inches between the wall and back of the TV. I could glue the wires to the wall and paint them the same color. So very hard to see if speakers are mounted on wall to they are just barely clearing the top of the TV. There's a fireplace on the left of TV so not good for imaging for people viewing from right side of TV with speakers set on the wall in the corner of the edge of the fireplace. That's why I want to mount them on the TV itself to bring them out. Other soultion would be to get a pedestal stand that allows the TV to be as close to the wall as a wall mount and slide that behind/under the cabinet. But then I really don't need to raise the TV much if any, so sort of overkill just to get the TV a few inches closer to the wall. Duh, I suppose I can drill holes in wall to run wires from base of wall up to speakers. Easily patched later.

d) Mount telescoping arms on the wall to position the speakers slightly in front of the TV. Never seen anything like this, and three arms protruding off the wall probably too much clutter but maybe not bad if it only has to stick out 10-12"?

e) Mounting on top of cabinet is not an option it's too low (stomach level when sitting on the sofa).
Pictures would help.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Pictures would help.
+1. First thing that comes to mind is soundbar.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page