Need help with surround choices: 5.1 package or piecemeal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with surround choices: 5.1 package or piecemeal?

Hi all,
I'm new here, but have been lurking around looking for reviews and impressions on gear. I was wanting to ask people on here, which have way more experience with home theater than I, some advice on what the best choice on speakers would be.

I recently purchased a Yamaha rx-v377 receiver and a pair of Teac LS-H265s, thinking this would be enough for my gaming, but quickly figured out that I really need a sub and want the full surround experience. I have two options that I was going to go with:

Option One: I was thinking of purchasing a 5.1 speaker package to add to the Teac speakers I already have. Choises so far are: Boston Acoustic Soundware XS SE 5.1, Energy Take Classic 5.1 or the KEF KHT 1505 systems. I would use the Teacs as my main LR and the rest of the package for the surround.

Option Two: I have a Denon AVR-1913 hooked up to a pair of B&W 601s in the front room that i could use to start a piece meal system. So I would just move that into my gaming area, us the 601s as my mains LR, Teacs as the rear surrounds, and purchase a center channel and sub to go with them.

My question is what would you guys recommend?

P.S. The room I'm going to be using it in is ~14'x20' with 8' ceilings.

Thanks for any recommendations and sorry for such a long post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'd build around the Denon and B&W's. What you do after that depends on budget. You could move the Teac's to surround duty, and a used 600 center should be fairly easy to find. You're going to want a sub. A more expensive option would be to move the 601's to surround duty and buy a matching B&W front soundstage. Still needing a sub.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply!
Ok I think that I will go the route of using the B&Ws and the denon. I found a few 600 series centers but with the price it would either be buy the center or a sub first. Do you recommend getting the sub first, then running in 4.1? Then when I can afford it purchase the center? Also if the sub first, any recommendation on ones I should look into?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page