I'm New at This - Home Theater Assistance? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm New at This - Home Theater Assistance?

Thank you in advance for your help, it's been several years since I've researched any A/V equipment so I'm leaning on you guys for a little help.

In general, here is my current layout and existing equipment:

Room size - 22' wide x 17' deep x 10' ceiling (3,740 cf, three sides of the room are essentially solid walls, the forth side consists of a few windows and a door, floor is carpet and ceiling is drywall)
Listening distance - 10'
There are no restraints with speaker placement or size
I plan on watching TV and movies 90%, gaming 5% and music 5%

My existing equipment - Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH (110w x 7, 8 ohms), a JBL PSW-D110 sub and a Panasonic TC-P55ST30 television.

I have previously had a 5.1 system and enjoyed it so perhaps I'm leaning in that direction versus a 7.1 system. I have spent the last SEVERAL hours of my life reading multiple reviews and forum posts and don't really feel as if I'm any closer to a decision now than where is was when I started. With that being said, I have penciled in the EMP Tek E55TI (fronts), E56CI (center) and E5Bib's (rears). While I have you here, in a 5.1 are the surrounds supposed to be mounted at the rear or the sides?

If I go with a 5.1, should I buy the E5Bib's or the E55WI's for the surrounds? What if I decide to pony up for the 7.1 system?

Ideally the budget would be around $1,500, but if there is a system or setup that would make a noticeable difference I will go up to the $2k +/- range. I'm not one to let a few hundred dollars get in the way of doing it right for the long term. Obviously this budget is being allocated for the new speakers needed, if I need to replace any of the existing equipment I will have to dig a little deeper into the pocket.

Thanks again for all of your help, I've really enjoyed reading through everyone's opinions and experiences with other set ups.

Last edited by smaginnis; 07-08-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Hey there and welcome to the forum! I think the EMP's are an excellent choice, neutral sound with a strong mid-range and fantastic dynamics. For the money it is hard to beat the performance you get, but there are a few other options out there you should look just so you know. Take a look at HTD Level Three, Arx, and HSU. These four are the big internet direct contenders at this price point.

One thing I would recommend is getting a new sub as well. That JBL is older and under-powered for your space. A new sub will make a big difference and really let your speakers shine. At $499, the SVS PB-1000 is a great choice, it will get you strong accurate bass, and good extension down to 19Hz. Having low extension is good for movies because otherwise you miss out on a lot of content.

If you do go with EMP, the choice of surrounds is really personal preference. Some people like the sound of bipoles, other's like the more directional sound. I think the bipoles would work well for the side surrounds, with the bookshelves as rear surrounds. If you want, give EMP Tek an email and ask what they think, they are incredibly helpful and will give you good honest information.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Agree on the EMPtek! I have heard a bunch of speakers in that price range and they are amongst the best. I would add Ascend Acoustic to the list that Trans has provided as another excellent speaker for the dollar. the CMT340 is really an excellent speaker...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Trans and Elihawk for your words of advice. As suggested I have emailed EMP Tek and am currently awaiting their response.

As for the recommendation to replace my current Sub, wow, I must say that the SVS PB-1000 is awfully impressive...60 lbs?!!?!

Anyway, I will post what EMP Tek support's reply is for your reading pleasure.

Thank you again for all of your help.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To piggy back on this post can someone explain to me where the placement of the rear speakers would be? corner of the wall? abut 4ft up? higher? I am trying to figure out if I want the builder to run speak wire for me and where to have them terminate. thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

That's a question that I haven't really put a lot of thought into...the fronts will obviously sit on the ground, the center channel will probably have to sit above my television, the two sides mounted near the ceiling and the rears possibly 2/3 up the wall?

Maybe the sides and rears should all sit at the same height?

Perhaps one of the more seasoned guys can provide better direction.
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page