Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New Media Room Help

Hi All,

I am having a house built and I went ahead and had them pre-wire an extra upstairs bedroom for surround sound. I will be converting this room into a small media room and was just wondering if anyone had any speaker recommendations?

Room Size: 12 X 11 Feet
Projector: BenQ W1070
Screen: 100in Elite Screen Sable Frame Fixed
Receiver: Denon AVR-X1000 5.1
Speakers:

Fronts: I was thinking either in-walls or on-walls and was leaning towards on-walls for the LCR. So far the speakers I was leaning towards was either 3 Polk OWM5's or 3 Boston Acoustic P442's for the fronts that would go on either side and below the screen.

Rears: They pre-wired the rears in the ceiling, so I was leaning towards 2 Polk RC80i's

Sub: I don't know much about these but was leaning towards the Bic PL200

My budget for the speakers are around $1,000-1,200. Does this sound like a good set up? Or does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I would look into getting an acoustically transparent screen instead. This allows you to mount three identical speakers behind the screen at the same height, this is the most ideal setup.

You ideally want front ported speakers if you are wall-mounting, I would take a look at the Infinity Primus P163. These are great sounding speakers that offer a lot of value. Three of them would run you about $300.

I would then go with a sub like the SVS PB-1000. It will get you sub-20Hz extension and be very accurate, and is a nice upgrade over the PL-200.

I am not all that familar with ceiling speakers, but I would wager those Polk's are fine; they do not need to match the front speakers.

Since all this would be about $900, it leaves you a little extra to upgrade the screen, and buy some room treatments. Since you have a dedicated space, I highly recommend buying some acoustic panels (http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/...coustic-panel/) Place them at the reflection points in the room and it will greatly help improve sound quality. You can get them in a wide variety of colors to match the walls.
skipford likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Transmaniacon!

With an acoustically transparent screen, I would put in-wall speakers in, and unfortunately I didn't think about it before I had the pre-wire done. So now the speaker locations are set far left, far right and bottom center. So for now I think going with on-wall speakers would be the easiest choice as I don't trust myself doing any sort of dry-wall construction. That being said, I will look into the speakers you recommended, they are much cheaper however they are also much thicker (deeper) than the other speakers I was looking at and I was trying to stay relatively thin for appearances. Are the Polks and Boston Acoustic speakers not front ported as you mentioned? Would the Infinity Primus P163 work for LCR (2 vertical and one horizontal)?

Again, thanks for your help!

Kevin
post #4 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Knowing that, then those Boston P442s would be a good choice. I would still recommend going with that SVS sub, it will really make a difference in the quality of your viewing experience.

You could use the Infinitys mounted no the wall, but I would go with the PC351 for the center.

Living Room

Computer
post #5 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kevin,

I can understand your point about the speaker mounting, but I wanted to throw in my circumstance which might help with perspective on this moment of choice:

I had a fixed screen Carada (about 90") from my old house in a different room I was using as home theater. As I moved into a new home with a dedicated home theater room I still am using the old screen. I too have a prewired room where the LCRs are placed pretty wide across the viewing wall. I have M&K LCR 750s hanging on the wall around my current screen.

The thing is that once I have lived with the theater a bit I have realized the impact of the screen size. As perfectly beautiful and acceptable my 90" screen is (at 1080p from an Epson 6500UB projector), I lack the impact that the large screen experience gives in a real movie theater. So now I am in the process of window shopping for a "reconfiguration" of my existing room. Because it really warrants a larger screen (and I'm moving to cinemascope size as well during this process).

All this leaves the LCR speakers at a point where the placement of them would be too far to the left and the right and below the screen to accommodate a sweet spot for sound. So I am seriously considering spending the extra money on a good screen that is acoustically transparent. Remember that just because the speaker jacks are in specific locations doesn't mean they can't be masked with curtains or panels and the speaker wire could be surface mounted along the face of the wall between your speakers and the jacks.

Ultimately I think you'll find that coming up with a way to mask the wall with upholstry of some sort flanking your screen is the way to go and it will free up your ability to place the speakers wherever you need. And I would strongly encourage you to think big with the screen size.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you go with the Infinity P163s, watch the price for a while. A few weeks ago, I got mine on Amazon for $49 a speaker. (If you need them now, continue to watch the price...I originally gave up on waiting and paid $85 a speaker, so I had to contact Amazon for a refund when they went on sale. My co-worker did this on a projector he had already had for a month and Amazon did a refund for him.) They were at the same price $49 a couple of weeks ago. I watch the weekly ad from Frys that comes out on Friday and sometimes Amazon drops their price to match Frys within a day or two.

The P153s were $45 last week on Amazon in response to Frys' ad. The towers were $99 a speaker three weeks ago.

At $49 a speaker, I have been pleased with them. Last week I got the P153s for $45 a speaker to use as "rears" and now I am questioning if I should have just gone with five P153s. The P163s are a space issue in my room, and these speakers (P163) are large and heavy.

Last edited by steve1106; 07-09-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Skipford,

I definitely understand what you are saying. I felt like a 100" screen on an 11ft wall was a pretty good fit as it would leave me with roughly 22" on either side of the screen to the wall. I could probably go a little bit bigger but a 100" screen on an 11ft wall, sitting 10-11ft away sounded pretty solid...But your post does make me think about an acoustically transparent screen more, bc perhaps if i do decide I would rather go with In wall speakers, I wouldnt have to worry about a new screen.

Do you think the speakers are too far apart at this distance? I thought I read somewhere that with this set up it would be good to have the left and right fronts about 9 feet apart? Perhaps I was given the wrong information?

Thanks!
Kevin
post #8 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks for the heads up...Its hard to buy things nowadays with prices constantly fluctuating. Today I just saw the receiver I bought about 2 months ago went down $20 in price, luckily my credit card has price protection for up to 90 days. As for the P163s, do you wall mount them or have them on stands? Perhaps wall mounting speakers that heavy wouldn't be the best idea?

Thanks!
Kevin
post #9 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 AM

I went with stands which I already had, but my kids are 18 and 20 so the stands are not an issue. If I were you, I would just mount them. I am fairly sure they have mounting hooks on the back...but I really can't remember... I can check tonight. As I said before they are large and heavy, so you should hit a stud if you mount them.

Really the P153s are more of a "wall" size, but bass may suffer. Mine are used as rears, so bass is not an issue. Also, I have two subwoofers (front and rear) to help the bass. Two nights ago during a movie my wife and 20 year old daughter jumped out of their seats (almost) when a car came out of nowhere and hit a vehicle. It was worth the loss of hearing and this never happened when I had Energy Take Classic speakers for rears, so I know the P153s are doing a good job.

On the center, I went with the P251 which is really the P153 with one more woofer (5 and a quarter driver). I'm just not sure about turning it (P153) on the side. Someone on the forum said puting it on the side is bad, but on Amazon several reviewers use them (P153 or P163) as centers.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Steve,

Sounds like you are quite satisfied with them then. How big is your room? I think I would only need one sub in my room. The infinitys are very intriguing due to their price, how do you think they would compare sound wise to the polks or boston acoustics? I'm willing to spend a little more, but if I'm not going to really notice a difference in performance I might as well save money on the fronts and upgrade to a nicer sub.

Thanks!
Kevin
post #11 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 12:04 PM

Well, early on I messed up and bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 ($299) set of speakers for my 16 x 19ish room plus a space for the stairs. These things sounded like "built in TV speakers" in my room, so upgrading for $300 on Infinity speakers was well worth the money. I personally think they sound great and the price is right. Just the Infinity center (which came a day before the P163s) made all the difference in my set up.

If you can catch them on sale, I would get three for $150 (Frys seems to have a sale every other week...just check in early on Friday) and spend the rest on a good sub. You can always use the P163s or P153s for surround and upgrade your fronts "on down the road".

I now have a 5.1 Energy set as a spare i.e. junk. I will say that I found a Denon system with Boston Acoustics at Bestbuy for a friend on sale for $300 regular price $599, and they sound good in his large open basement (say a 20ish by 35ish room).

I've got the BIC f12 ($200ish) and a Polk sub ($90ish), so my subs are cheap, but they do the job.
post #12 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM

I should have added that in my second room I have a 92 inch screen 16:9 (mistake) with a "spare/mistake" projector the 92 inch screen seems small even at 8 or 9 feet. A blu-ray image really seems small when it drops from a 16:9 to the blu-ray aspect. I project from 11 feet away and sit 7 to 8 feet back.

(I only started with a PJ in September to hold off buying an 80 inch or bigger TV, so I made a lot of mistakes.)

I have 169 inch image in the main room, so I am a fan of "big". You might want to try the PJ projecting on the wall to see what size image works for you. I don't notice the pixels on my 169 inch "screen/wall" until I get to about 4 to 5ish feet.

Last edited by steve1106; 07-09-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #13 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I should have added that in my second room I have a 92 inch screen 16:9 (mistake) with a "spare/mistake" projector the 92 inch screen seems small even at 8 or 9 feet. A blu-ray image really seems small when it drops from a 16:9 to the blu-ray aspect. I project from 11 feet away and sit 7 to 8 feet back.

(I only started with a PJ in September to hold off buying an 80 inch or bigger TV, so I made a lot of mistakes.)

I have 169 inch image in the main room, so I am a fan of "big". You might want to try the PJ projecting on the wall to see what size image works for you. I don't notice the pixels on my 169 inch "screen/wall" until I get to about 4 to 5ish feet.
yeah, I mean technically i could fit ~150" screen in there, but then I would have the issue with speaker placement. For your 169" screen, where do you place your speakers? are they inwalls that are behind the screen? or are they still on the outside/below?
post #14 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM

I haven't got a screen in the main room. (I just painted the wall based on projector central's recommendation and it actually turned out fairly good.) The Energy speakers fit perfectly on the either side of the screen, but the Infinity speakers were too big. I tried them under the image for a while and broke down last week and put them on stands to the side. They sound much better on the sides, but I may have shaved a inch or so from my image to make them fit.

My set up isn't the best because I am limited by the fact we will be moving within the next year to 3 years, so I did my room as a temporary setup with the easy up ...easy down "no build". (Re-paint the wall..take down the PJ and patch 4 screw holes.) Plus it is in the basement, so it doesn't have to be the neatest setup. The wife/kids get the top two floors and I get the basement...well, I did until the PJ which is why the other PJ has come in handy.

A 150 inch screen might be a bit much from 10 feet back...not for me, I slide my chair up for in the face 3d, but I started with a 47 inch TV in the room, went to a 55 inch TV and then to a 70 inch TV (which seemed too big at first), then to a 92 inch screen for a pj, to a 120 inch image, painted the wall and went to 150 inches, got a 1080p projector and jumped to 169 inches (painted more wall), so it took me a while to get there. (And a lot of mistakes as my wife has come to call them.)

I have a thread "Steve's cheap build" with pictures, but please keep in mind it is in my basement with exercise machines and a mixture of furniture from old to new (the wife has the good furniture/stuff upstairs in the family room and in the living room), so the main room in the basement is a media/game/exercise/nerd room. Also, I haven't updated the pictures with the Infinity speakers.
post #15 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I haven't got a screen in the main room. (I just painted the wall based on projector central's recommendation and it actually turned out fairly good.) The Energy speakers fit perfectly on the either side of the screen, but the Infinity speakers were too big. I tried them under the image for a while and broke down last week and put them on stands to the side. They sound much better on the sides, but I may have shaved a inch or so from my image to make them fit.

My set up isn't the best because I am limited by the fact we will be moving within the next year to 3 years, so I did my room as a temporary setup with the easy up ...easy down "no build". (Re-paint the wall..take down the PJ and patch 4 screw holes.) Plus it is in the basement, so it doesn't have to be the neatest setup. The wife/kids get the top two floors and I get the basement...well, I did until the PJ which is why the other PJ has come in handy.

A 150 inch screen might be a bit much from 10 feet back...not for me, I slide my chair up for in the face 3d, but I started with a 47 inch TV in the room, went to a 55 inch TV and then to a 70 inch TV (which seemed too big at first), then to a 92 inch screen for a pj, to a 120 inch image, painted the wall and went to 150 inches, got a 1080p projector and jumped to 169 inches (painted more wall), so it took me a while to get there. (And a lot of mistakes as my wife has come to call them.)

I have a thread "Steve's cheap build" with pictures, but please keep in mind it is in my basement with exercise machines and a mixture of furniture from old to new (the wife has the good furniture/stuff upstairs in the family room and in the living room), so the main room in the basement is a media/game/exercise/nerd room. Also, I haven't updated the pictures with the Infinity speakers.
Okay, I gotcha. Sounds like you've had an interesting journey! And yeah, 150" is probably way too big for me, I'm more of a middle to upper row in the theater kinda guy. I'll be sure to check out your build thread, thanks for all the tips and advice!

-Kevin
post #16 of 32 Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have any suggestions or comments on this? Just wondering if anyone has used the speakers/sub I mentioned and if they think they are a good choice or if I should consider others...

Thank you!
Kevin
post #17 of 32 Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboboy View Post
Anyone else have any suggestions or comments on this? Just wondering if anyone has used the speakers/sub I mentioned and if they think they are a good choice or if I should consider others...
Thank you!
Kevin
If you are going with your basic plan - then I for sure favor the Boston - I have owned and
demoed Boston speakers, from the entry level to high-end. They do make good stuff.

While I have not listened to the P442 speakers, they are built with good quality parts and
are not low-end speakers.

Also, screen size is up to you and what you will be content/happy with - not what someone
else wants you to have, based on their set up or preference.

You have some nice options - your call - enjoy the adventure.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 07-10-2014 at 09:24 AM.
post #18 of 32 Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the post zieglj. I just have little to no experience in this department. The only speakers I have ever had were a samsung home theater in a box that came with a TV I bought. So I'd like to hear that these speakers/sub would get the job done. And yes, I'm fairly positive I will be sticking with my original plan, unless something comes up. Thanks for the input!

-Kevin
post #19 of 32 Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Question: If I went with the Infinity Primus P163s and PC351 for the LCR and paired them with the outlaw-lfm-1-plus, would that sound good? Or would such a higher level sub make the fronts sound weaker or play over them? Or are there better budget speakers to pair with a more expensive sub like the outlaw or svs?

Thanks!
Kevin
post #20 of 32 Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Question: If I went with the Infinity Primus P163s and PC351 for the LCR and paired them with the outlaw-lfm-1-plus, would that sound good? Or would such a higher level sub make the fronts sound weaker or play over them? Or are there better budget speakers to pair with a more expensive sub like the outlaw or svs?

Thanks!
Kevin
A good sub doesn't overpower speakers, it enhances them. Your receiver will calibrate it to the proper level, and that combination would sound great. The Pioneer BS22 and C22 would be another contender in that price range, or you could step up to the HTD Level Three or EMP E5Bi/E5Ci.
Kboboy likes this.

Living Room

Computer
post #21 of 32 Old 07-30-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

For the HTD speakers, do you have to have the bi-wire speaker cable? bc my room was prewired with only regular cable.
post #22 of 32 Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For the HTD speakers, do you have to have the bi-wire speaker cable? bc my room was prewired with only regular cable.
No you don't and it wouldn't make a difference in sound anyway.

Living Room

Computer
post #23 of 32 Old 07-30-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Transmaniacon, In your opinion which combination would you choose for LCR to go with the outlaw lfm 1 plus?

Infinity Primus P163s and PC351
Pioneer BS22 and C22
HTD Level Three bookshelf and center speakers
EMP E5Bi/E5Ci

Thanks again for your advise!
Kevin
post #24 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Transmaniacon, In your opinion which combination would you choose for LCR to go with the outlaw lfm 1 plus?

Infinity Primus P163s and PC351
Pioneer BS22 and C22
HTD Level Three bookshelf and center speakers
EMP E5Bi/E5Ci

Thanks again for your advise!
Kevin
I would pick the EMP speakers, but maybe I am a little biased

Living Room

Computer
post #25 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I would go for the Infinity Primus setup, if only the the beefy center speaker. The c351 is a terrific center that has no problems with louder volume levels.
post #26 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I found a pretty decent deal on some nice, used Infinity Primus P362 floor standing speakers, would you recommend these or should I steer clear of the older model?

Edit: Scratch that idea, I think they might be too short/the location to plug in the wires will be too low. These are about 3.33 feet tall and my speaker wire is located at about 4 feet off the ground, and they didnt give much extra wire (length) to spare

Last edited by Kboboy; 07-31-2014 at 11:44 AM.
post #27 of 32 Old 08-01-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

So I think I narrowed it down to:

M25's work for the LCR

M25's and 1 MCenter

2 HTD Level 3 Bookshelf and 1 HTD Level 3 Center

Infinity Primus P163 and C351

Again, these will be paired with the outlaw sub and a denon X1000

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
post #28 of 32 Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I think I narrowed it down to:

M25's work for the LCR

M25's and 1 MCenter

2 HTD Level 3 Bookshelf and 1 HTD Level 3 Center

Infinity Primus P163 and C351

Again, these will be paired with the outlaw sub and a denon X1000

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Based on what I have heard it sounds like the three M25s is your best bet.

Living Room

Computer
post #29 of 32 Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered 3 M25s for the LCR, but now that I see the Infinity Primus P363s are back on sale at amazon for $107 each, does anyone think these speakers are better? Should I place an order for them and return the M25s, or would the M25s still be the better choice?

Thanks for your help, I just want to make sure I get the best deal I can and get my little room set up nicely...Thanks again for any suggestions!

-Kevin
post #30 of 32 Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered 3 M25s for the LCR, but now that I see the Infinity Primus P363s are back on sale at amazon for $107 each, does anyone think these speakers are better? Should I place an order for them and return the M25s, or would the M25s still be the better choice?

Thanks for your help, I just want to make sure I get the best deal I can and get my little room set up nicely...Thanks again for any suggestions!
Do it if you want to - however, I do not order a tower because it is a tower, or a good price.

Do not under-estimate the M25s mated with a good subwoofer - they have a good smooth
tweeter with good detail and definition.

Your call

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - W1070_ by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page