2Likes
  • 2 Post By Elihawk

post #1 of 10 Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Speakers or receiver?

Good day to all. This is my first post in these forums, so pardon me if i do not know the proper etiquette. I am pretty sure this question has been asked multiple times before; however, my issue would be a little bit more specific and i would appreciate greatly any assistance i could be extended.

I have a pair of b&w 685 s1 and matching htm that are hooked up to an old yamaha rx-v659. my b&w's have suffered the abuse of a very active family life: they have both fallen face down at one time or another and the tweeters have been pushed in beyond repair. i have recently learned how to replace the tweeters and i was contemplating on replacing them until i found out that b&w updated the series. now i am torn between repairing my 685's and replacing them with the s2's. adding to my dilemma is that i found out that the marantz sr7007 can now be had for 999.

So here then is where i am torn. Would it make more sense to replace my speakers with the new versions while still being powered by my old yamaha, or would it be more rewarding to get the marantz instead, and just replace the busted tweeters? as far as i can tell, the midrange and bass drivers of my 685s are both fine but would falling on its face cause serious damage to the speakers themselves and will replacing the tweeters bring back their original sound? i can only get either the speakers or the receiver so i need to make a choice.

thank you very much for any advice that you can spare. i really am torn between the two, and feel that i need to get the best information i can before putting any money down and not regret my decision later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The tweeters aren't all that expensive, I think about $70 or so, and take 5 minutes to replace. I'd start there. A new receiver won't make your old speakers sound any better.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
The tweeters aren't all that expensive, I think about $70 or so, and take 5 minutes to replace. I'd start there. A new receiver won't make your old speakers sound any better.
thanks for the advice. i'll try to replace my tweeters so I can maybe do an a/b comparison. i'd like to try hooking my speakers up to a marantz though. i've heard good things about their receivers and see i would like their sound better than my old yamaha.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
I'd start there. A new receiver won't make your old speakers sound any better.
I'd disagree, changing from a old Yamaha AV to a dedicated quality stereo integrated amplifier opened up the soundstage.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by punprankster View Post
thanks for the advice. i'll try to replace my tweeters so I can maybe do an a/b comparison. i'd like to try hooking my speakers up to a marantz though. i've heard good things about their receivers and see i would like their sound better than my old yamaha.

You will get many people telling you all receivers sound the same. I'm not sure if they have really listened for differences, or just say that because they believe it should be true.

My ears tell me different. I have done a lot of listening, and I hear major differences in sound quality.

For $999, you can get a NAD T758 receiver, which IMO will make your speakers really come alive compared to the Yamaha.

A Marantz would definitely be better than the Yamaha, but IMO the NAD would be even better (especially to drive your speakers).

Replacing the tweeters on your speakers should be all they need.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-12-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
You will get many people telling you all receivers sound the same. I'm not sure if they have really listened for differences, or just say that because they believe it should be true.

My ears tell me different. I have done a lot of listening, and I hear major differences in sound quality.

For $999, you can get a NAD T758 receiver, which IMO will make your speakers really come alive compared to the Yamaha.

A Marantz would definitely be better than the Yamaha, but IMO the NAD would be even better (especially to drive your speakers).

Replacing the tweeters on your speakers should be all they need.
commysman, i noticed that there are not a lot of people mentioning the nad 785 but you seem to be perfectly happy with it. i am currently thinking of getting a marantz 7007 and as they are in the same price point at this time. what are your thoughts about the two?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by punprankster View Post
commysman, i noticed that there are not a lot of people mentioning the nad 785 but you seem to be perfectly happy with it. i am currently thinking of getting a marantz 7007 and as they are in the same price point at this time. what are your thoughts about the two?

It is the NAD T758 I referred to...not 785.

I would give a slight edge to the NAD, but the Marantz is also very good.

I think you would find either one a big improvement over the Yamaha.

Enjoy!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I disagree! Listen tests and measurements dont support the claim that good Avr/amps sound better than cheaper ones! Get louder and play cleaner loud, sure. But speakers are what will give you a detectable difference in sound quality
CruelInventions and Deckard97 like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I disagree! Listen tests and measurements dont support the claim that good Avr/amps sound better than cheaper ones! Get louder and play cleaner loud, sure. But speakers are what will give you a detectable difference in sound quality

Speakers are top priority when it comes to sound quality. I agree with Elihawk

The AVR can be upgraded at a later date.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I'd agree....speakers are the weakest link in the chain. Get them right and then worry about the other parts.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page